SocDs
10%
Crusty eco party
21%

Total votes: 161

nardol

Re: Irishers-Official 33rd Dáil Éireann election thread

Post by nardol »

Can we just all agree to vote FF and FG with all our preference votes - order doesn't matter. For the good of Ireland.

No Indepenents or other assorted loonies.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Culchies love me
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

rfurlong wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:Nah it's the disdain for country people that has your finger prints :lol:
A quick search of your posts would no doubt throw up a real affinity with rural Ireland no doubt
I think ye are both plum's.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:Nah it's the disdain for country people that has your finger prints :lol:
A quick search of your posts would no doubt throw up a real affinity with rural Ireland no doubt
Let’s just agree that everyone is a plum ...... and that we should all vote for the centre in whatever order of preference suits each individual best

Which is obviously FG number one and whatever you’re having yourself after that
Gauss

Post by Gauss »

I’d say anything less than 40 for Varadkar and he’s toast.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Typical backwoodsman
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I'd say Leo has had experience of a few backwoodsmen wha WHA
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

So this all pretty much distills down to a vote to keep the IRA out of power?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

The scary thing for me is that I've had conversations with some normal, intelligent, middle class, middle aged people who have argued with me that SF are no different to FF in the 30s and sure didn't we forgive them.

Very worried that SF are going to get not just votes from outside their norm but also transfers. A good election here, and they'll almost definitely have a good one, and within 10 years they could be in government (as the main party).
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

CM11 wrote:The scary thing for me is that I've had conversations with some normal, intelligent, middle class, middle aged people who have argued with me that SF are no different to FF in the 30s and sure didn't we forgive them.

Very worried that SF are going to get not just votes from outside their norm but also transfers. A good election here, and they'll almost definitely have a good one, and within 10 years they could be in government.
So to avoid the wrath of their voting support they won’t go into a coalition government like Labour/Greens did, but they will prefer to stay as opposition and try and grow their support to become the biggest party?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Flametop wrote:
CM11 wrote:The scary thing for me is that I've had conversations with some normal, intelligent, middle class, middle aged people who have argued with me that SF are no different to FF in the 30s and sure didn't we forgive them.

Very worried that SF are going to get not just votes from outside their norm but also transfers. A good election here, and they'll almost definitely have a good one, and within 10 years they could be in government.
So to avoid the wrath of their voting support they won’t go into a coalition government like Labour/Greens did, but they will prefer to stay as opposition and try and grow their support to become the biggest party?
That would be the sensible thing for them to do.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Let's all chill the beans
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

Mullet 2 wrote:Let's all chill the beans
FF have this.

On the Sinners though, the 20 somethings out there dont see them as a paramilitary based party. Just the party that will get them more affordable houses and equalize income
nardol

Post by nardol »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
FF have this.

On the Sinners though, the 20 somethings out there dont see them as a paramilitary based party. Just the party that will get them more affordable houses and equalize income
All the unions are complicit in this insanity. They all pulled up the ladder by screwing younger generations so that they kept their perks - nursing, teachers, civil service. The left in part caused this and now the centrists are getting battered for it x(
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
FF have this.

Because 20 somethings are stupid!

They're voting for short term gain but long term pain.
piaras

Post by piaras »

It is going to very interesting to see what the turnout will be, given that voting is on a Saturday. You would have to assume that the higher the turnout the more that would suit the Shinners and the Greens depending on the constituency.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

nardol wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
FF have this.

All the unions are complicit in this insanity. They all pulled up the ladder by screwing younger generations so that they kept their perks - nursing, teachers, civil service. The left in part caused this and now the centrists are getting battered for it x(
I said it before but the big error was in 2010/2011. FG bottled removing Enda Kenny and despite being close to an overall majority, really didn't push for it. The grand coalition resulted in Labour being decimated. Instead of sitting back and taking the easy pot shots whilst FG put through cuts, they were complicit in putting through cuts. Cuts of any kind were going to destroy Labour's base as a lot of them are the soft PS/easy solution Lefties that just won't accept pragmatism. I agree that going after the youth was a huge strategic mistake by the Unions and Labour.

In terms of national unity and the perception of Ireland internationally, the 2011-2016 Government did a great job, but it actually left us in an unhappy political state. The 2016 election was a mess and the decision to go into a minority government has kept things unsettled.

SF are still standing unscathed in that with the youth vote. Their online operation is something else. They had Gerry Adams tweeted out rubber duckies. They have all their youth heads all over Meme pages. They have managed to create an image of themselves as the edgy choice and any mention of their scumbaggery is just boomer talk. Slagging off older voters for things like Brexit is a thing but the youth can be just as bad. There are so many left wing options to go for in Ireland and yet many pile in behind the Shinners.

FG do actually have a bit of support with the younger voters through their social issues, but it doesn't make up for the lost older voters. Optically as well they have just played a poor game. They've governed on the whim of a Twitter and media mob. To actually be the party of those getting up early in the morning, FG should have been taking budgets to the brink with FF over tax cuts. Giving people on social welfare more money back from budgets than tax payers up to €50k was bizarre. If you're going to be labelled Tory, actually live up to that.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

piaras wrote:It is going to very interesting to see what the turnout will be, given that voting is on a Saturday. You would have to assume that the higher the turnout the more that would suit the Shinners and the Greens depending on the constituency.
There's a full slate of Premier League games on I think so that might keep some of the Sinn Féin vote on their barstools please God.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Its happened all over the world. The centre never holds as oul Yeats would say
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

CM11 wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
FF have this.

Same as it ever was I guess? Look at the Corbyn fans in UK. Most of them will be Tories by the time they're 35.

Just here we've had the old civil war politics masking over it for decades.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
FF have this.

Same as it ever was I guess? Look at the Corbyn fans in UK. Most of them will be Tories by the time they're 35.

Just here we've had the old civil war politics masking over it for decades.
I suppose that's true. Politics as we knew it is dead.

The world probably won't end if SF get some power but it's sad they'll probably get to do it without addressing the worse of the atrocities they've stood over and while they're still being puppeted by criminals. It's a pity the parties can't just outright say it.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

piaras wrote:It is going to very interesting to see what the turnout will be, given that voting is on a Saturday. You would have to assume that the higher the turnout the more that would suit the Shinners and the Greens depending on the constituency.
Another Leo masterstroke
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

Fine Gael have been far too soft.

To mention Corbyn for a second time, he was practically given full induction in the RA and Al Quaeda by the Tories for shaking a few hands.

Not saying I like that style of politics, but the fact that FG havent been able to drive home their achievements since they came in to power while SF are seen as some sort of saviours of the people is quite incredible.

Funnily enough, I dont think SF would be comfortable in the hot seat. And certainly wouldnt be happy as a junior coalition partner.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

See McGuinness sees the of the land is different now and they better change tack quickly https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... um=twitter
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

CM11 wrote:

Ok Boomer!

Seriously - what a completely stupid statement. They're behind a very long queue of older people in doing that.

The entire electorate consists of sectional interests voting for short term gain irrespective of any long term consequences. Why have all parties retreated from the economically sensible pension age increase? Why has HSE reform not happened? Why has the SW budget increased even as unemployment declines?...........

20 somethings are no more stupid than any other electoral grouping. Your arrogance in assuming that you have the answers is astounding.

At least Mulbot acknowledges his partisanship so we can all ignore his views.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Voting SF lily?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

lilyw wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Ok Boomer!

Seriously - what a completely stupid statement. They're behind a very long queue of older people in doing that.

The entire electorate consists of sectional interests voting for short term gain irrespective of any long term consequences. Why have all parties retreated from the economically sensible pension age increase? Why has HSE reform not happened? Why has the SW budget increased even as unemployment declines?...........

20 somethings are no more stupid than any other electoral grouping. Your arrogance in assuming that you have the answers is astounding.

At least Mulbot acknowledges his partisanship so we can all ignore his views.
:lol:

I never said I had all the answers. I'm just not stupid enough to think that voting on single issues is a good idea. Of course there's stupid voters doing just that at every age. There's just more at younger ages.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

EverReady wrote:See McGuinness sees the of the land is different now and they better change tack quickly https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... um=twitter

I'd almost admire the backstabbing c unt :lol:
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Floppykid wrote:Voting SF lily?

The Shinners have been well known in the printing business for years.
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

Floppykid wrote:Voting SF lily?
It would certainly seem that way.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Still registered in my old constituency in South Central so will make a trip over to vote on Saturday. I see there's an independent looper that went after Catherine Ardagh for being pregnant and planning to take maternity leave, what an awesome way to gain votes. He's joined the National Party candidate on the no preference list.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Boxcar Ira wrote:Fine Gael have been far too soft.

To mention Corbyn for a second time, he was practically given full induction in the RA and Al Quaeda by the Tories for shaking a few hands.

Not saying I like that style of politics, but the fact that FG havent been able to drive home their achievements since they came in to power while SF are seen as some sort of saviours of the people is quite incredible.

Funnily enough, I dont think SF would be comfortable in the hot seat. And certainly wouldnt be happy as a junior coalition partner.

I wondering would a line like "SF's populism is the other side of the same Tory coin and it only creates division in our society.", have worked?

What we are seeing, well actually it is every so, is that a simple message win elections. Trump's "drain the swap" or "build the wall", BoJo's "Get Brexit done".

Sinn fein, weather intended or not, seem to have won the slogan battle with the "we need radical change" slogan. FF is too convoluted, we can provide change just not as radical, FG trust us with the economy hasn't resonated.
nardol

Post by nardol »

It was only a year or so ago than Mary Lou was on the verge of being ousted as the leader of SF.

How did we get to this :((
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

FF have the line if Martin has the balls.

When the geebag throws out her bankrupted the country line instead of him getting his back up AGAIN he needs to say "yeah, and we did by implementing policies half as irresponsible as you're proposing"
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

nardol wrote:It was only a year or so ago than Mary Lou was on the verge of being ousted as the leader of SF.

How did we get to this :((

Fine Gael accepted the narrative pushed by the interest groups. Never do that.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
nardol wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
FF have this.

I said it before but the big error was in 2010/2011. FG bottled removing Enda Kenny and despite being close to an overall majority, really didn't push for it. The grand coalition resulted in Labour being decimated. Instead of sitting back and taking the easy pot shots whilst FG put through cuts, they were complicit in putting through cuts. Cuts of any kind were going to destroy Labour's base as a lot of them are the soft PS/easy solution Lefties that just won't accept pragmatism. I agree that going after the youth was a huge strategic mistake by the Unions and Labour.

In terms of national unity and the perception of Ireland internationally, the 2011-2016 Government did a great job, but it actually left us in an unhappy political state. The 2016 election was a mess and the decision to go into a minority government has kept things unsettled.

SF are still standing unscathed in that with the youth vote. Their online operation is something else. They had Gerry Adams tweeted out rubber duckies. They have all their youth heads all over Meme pages. They have managed to create an image of themselves as the edgy choice and any mention of their scumbaggery is just boomer talk. Slagging off older voters for things like Brexit is a thing but the youth can be just as bad. There are so many left wing options to go for in Ireland and yet many pile in behind the Shinners.

FG do actually have a bit of support with the younger voters through their social issues, but it doesn't make up for the lost older voters. Optically as well they have just played a poor game. They've governed on the whim of a Twitter and media mob. To actually be the party of those getting up early in the morning, FG should have been taking budgets to the brink with FF over tax cuts. Giving people on social welfare more money back from budgets than tax payers up to €50k was bizarre. If you're going to be labelled Tory, actually live up to that.
Polls show FG have the lowest support of the main 3 from voters 18-55 years of age
Spoiler: show
FG blew it when they bought the Varadkar hype.
I reckon a successful leadership heave on Kenny pre 2011 would have done them no favours either.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

EverReady wrote:Maybe he has given up on them and is trying to shore up the youth vote he thought he had. That has been mildly humourous in the last few days where he has been stamping around saying 'I did the cool referendums. Where are my votes young peeps'
Shore up Dublin maybe? The DBN Green was pro-life and local FG Twitter made multiple mentions of it. Sean Haughey pro-life too.
Miguel Indurain

Post by Miguel Indurain »

Varadkar will get a job at the EU after his job as Taoiseach finishes.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

alliswell wrote:
EverReady wrote:Maybe he has given up on them and is trying to shore up the youth vote he thought he had. That has been mildly humourous in the last few days where he has been stamping around saying 'I did the cool referendums. Where are my votes young peeps'
Shore up Dublin maybe? The DBN Green was pro-life and local FG Twitter made multiple mentions of it. Sean Haughey pro-life too.

That was hilarious bad from whoever was running that account. I think quite a few people on the "progressive" wing read the tea leaves wrong.
nardol

Post by nardol »

Miguel Indurain wrote:Varadkar will get a job at the EU after his job as Taoiseach finishes.
That same tale was thrown at Bertie and at Enda, both were manure. So I suspect is this.
Although Varadkar is significantly younger so needs something to do before he gets his pension.