SocDs
10%
Crusty eco party
21%

Total votes: 161

CM11

Re: Irishers-Official 33rd Dáil Éireann election thread

Post by CM11 »

So what happens for the moment? I know we went over this the last time but I've forgotten. Leo remains Taoiseach until a government is formed or an election called? What about ministers?
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Flametop wrote:Tactically it’s a good move by FG.
They can claim they inherited a economic mess and turned it around (not everybody will agree that it help them personally) and the place all went to shit after they were forced to leave.
Sit back and play without the ball for a while until the other parties turn on each other.
SF and FF will be thinking the exact same. None of the 3 parties are that stupid.

FG as the outgoing party and the party who just got a bloody nose are well within their rights now to take the oppositon seats. FF and SF is effectively what the country has asked for. Let's see what they've got.

"the people have spoken, the bastards" - only possible positive of having SF in power would be to see them fail spectacularly - I think they can only do opposition though and know it ; that article posted earlier of them supporting Maduro should have been all over FG and FF's campaign strategies......remember when you, your brother, sister, son, daughter had to fcuk off to Australia, Canada etc to get work ; well good news, that bedroom will be opening up again soon
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

CM11 wrote:So the Saturday option looks to have been a complete disaster. Definitely didn't mobilise the middle classes. I'm ashamed of my constituents, you've 15 hours to get to the polling stations, it takes 2 minutes to vote.

Anyway, SF and FF will dance around each other but both know it'll harm them if they go into government together so it'll all be about who gets to control the narrative and that's looking like SF in a massive lead right now.

The stupid FFers talking about going in with them need to be shot.

It is literally vomit inducing but we can't fall into the trap again.

Hopefully we're at the polls again soon and they can't claim "your votes were ignored".

Not that I believe that's what those TDs are doing, they are despicable power hungry cúnts with zero fúcking morals.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

CM11 wrote:So what happens for the moment? I know we went over this the last time but I've forgotten. Leo remains Taoiseach until a government is formed or an election called? What about ministers?

They all remain as caretakers
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

We should abandon the Tri Colour and leave it with the SF scum.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

Liathroidigloine wrote:We should abandon the Tri Colour and leave it with the SF scum.
I always preferred the plough & the stars myself; shame it too was hijacked
CM11

Post by CM11 »

The people have spoken shite is doing my head in. 75% of the voters didn't vote for them. They'll have fewer seats than FF and, barring some transfer disasters, FG (just!). They were the biggest party in only 14 out of 39 constituencies, mainly focused in urban areas.

FF and FG will make up nearly half the Dail (hopefully half) while another 20+ from various parties and Indos would either be centrist or don't even care past their locality. The reason Mary Lou needs FF is because she can't get close to a majority with like minded TDs from other parties. So no, the people haven't f**king spoken, a sizeable minority have shouted very loud and that has to be heard but SF do not have a bloody mandate to reimagine the country.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:RTE are fúcking incredible.

Telling us for years FF and FG are the same. Without missing a beat they are now saying the same about FF and SF. I actually feel unwell.
I just heard them say that on morning Ireland - something to the effect of "the main problem with FF and SF has been differentiating themselves because they are so similar"
The media including RTE and the Indo have a lot of this on their hands. They have bagged the government for years and then scramble like mad in the past few days to big them up and shoot SF down. Too little too late.
The Indo have been an absolute disgrace. A few months back they had a front page headline railing against the Govt for lack of supply of housing. A few days later one of the REITs were given permission to build a shit load of apartments and they railed against that too because 'buyers were locked out'. Every single development was spun to be anti-govt.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

Mullet 2 wrote:
CM11 wrote:So the Saturday option looks to have been a complete disaster. Definitely didn't mobilise the middle classes. I'm ashamed of my constituents, you've 15 hours to get to the polling stations, it takes 2 minutes to vote.

Anyway, SF and FF will dance around each other but both know it'll harm them if they go into government together so it'll all be about who gets to control the narrative and that's looking like SF in a massive lead right now.

Hopefully we're at the polls again soon and they can't claim "your votes were ignored".

Not that I believe that's what those TDs are doing, they are despicable power hungry cúnts with zero fúcking morals.
You'll have a problem with your TD's who won very marginally? I'm sure they wont want to go through the drama again with the added risk of facing a 2nd Sinner on their ticket.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Saturday backfired. Inexplicable that people wouldn’t get out an vote. Also I wonder was it the wrong side of Christmas, people getting their post Christmas credit card bills, Feb is always a bit rough.
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

Mullet 2 wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:Mullet,

Let HQ know that a deal with SF will see our 4 FF votes disappear forever.

Ring your FF TDs lads.

Don't hold back now.
Where do we end up then Mullet?

I thought back in 2016 that FF could never do coalition or C&S with FG as it would help SF but they did.

It seems we're on an inevitable road here.

We need to war game here on what the best outcomes of this are. Seems as though FG are already retreating the opposition benches which I don't agree with given that we potentially have SF in Government.
SF have been eating everybody alive because they're praised for sitting on their hands.

It's time FG and FF did the same. Spin it out until the summer and go to the country.

If the tide goes out then great, if it doesn't then let them Govern. Why did we keep letting them stay in opposition growing.

Somebody has to take them on at their own game.
Personally, and I know I'll be shot down on this, I feel the best government for the country would be FG/Scum/Green. They would watch one another like hawks and would keep extreme elements under wraps. You would get a rotating Taoiseach so Looby Lou wouldn't be in a position to finger point. It would also allow FF an opportunity to build a genuine opposition as a centre left party eroding some of the Scum support.
No fúcking chance it happens though.
Not a hope of it
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

CM11 wrote:The people have spoken shite is doing my head in. 75% of the voters didn't vote for them. They'll have fewer seats than FF and, barring some transfer disasters, FG (just!). They were the biggest party in only 14 out of 39 constituencies, mainly focused in urban areas.

FF and FG will make up nearly half the Dail (hopefully half) while another 20+ from various parties and Indos would either be centrist or don't even care past their locality. The reason Mary Lou needs FF is because she can't get close to a majority with like minded TDs from other parties. So no, the people haven't f**king spoken, a sizeable minority have shouted very loud and that has to be heard but SF do not have a bloody mandate to reimagine the country.
That is Statto levels of spin and optimism in fairness. Fortunately they only surged late or they'd have run a lot more candidates.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

You'll have a problem with your TD's who won very marginally? I'm sure they wont want to go through the drama again with the added risk of facing a 2nd Sinner on their ticket.
A second shinner eats up Labour/SDs/Indos/SOL-PBP at this stage, not FF or FG. If you look through the places they had huge numbers, they brought another like minded TD over the line so Brid Smith was brought over by O Snodaigh and Murphy looks like he might get through thanks to Crowe. As I said above, it was only in 14 of the 39 constituencies that they were the biggest party. This is being hailed as a seismic shift but they're going to end up with the same number of seats as Labour in 2011. And I'm not convinced they can go much better with months of their background and policies being analysed.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

CM11 wrote:The people have spoken shite is doing my head in. 75% of the voters didn't vote for them. They'll have fewer seats than FF and, barring some transfer disasters, FG (just!). They were the biggest party in only 14 out of 39 constituencies, mainly focused in urban areas.

Ah you can't argue this, if you looked at the elected TDs yesterday evening every single one was a shinner, some of them got 25+ % of the vote. If they had only run more candidates they would be in the majority easily.
Saying the people have spoken is clearly true

(as true as saying the people are a bunch of idiots who have no issue electing terrorists..)
sewa

Post by sewa »

Gavin Duffy wrote:Just over a year ago https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/sinn ... -1.3768126
That's not improved my mood one bit, how the fook did it get to this
Liathroidigloine

Who says people will change their vote when told the facts? People vote with their emotions nowadays rather than their brain.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

danthefan wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
de_Selby wrote:

Telling us for years FF and FG are the same. Without missing a beat they are now saying the same about FF and SF. I actually feel unwell.
I just heard them say that on morning Ireland - something to the effect of "the main problem with FF and SF has been differentiating themselves because they are so similar"
The media including RTE and the Indo have a lot of this on their hands. They have bagged the government for years and then scramble like mad in the past few days to big them up and shoot SF down. Too little too late.
The Indo have been an absolute disgrace. A few months back they had a front page headline railing against the Govt for lack of supply of housing. A few days later one of the REITs were given permission to build a shit load of apartments and they railed against that too because 'buyers were locked out'. Every single development was spun to be anti-govt.
It's been a disaster PR wise. FG most of the blame but the fact is the C&S didn't work. FF feeding into the negative narrative but getting none of the credit that a real opposition would.

I posted it at the weekend but another example. The Irish Times on Saturday posted a huge spread on the top banner for a Weekend Review article saying "Are we building too many hotels?".

At the bottom of the page, in tiny lettering was a byline saying the Connolly Quarter was approved. No mention of the Fast Track housing that Murphy brought in. In fact the mention is of "Ballymore's scheme" - linking it solely to property developers will always go down well!

And this is the Irish Times.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

CM11 wrote:So what happens for the moment? I know we went over this the last time but I've forgotten. Leo remains Taoiseach until a government is formed or an election called? What about ministers?
That fcuking muppet needs to be gone ASAP. A total disgrace to the party.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

In my heart of hearts I think I won't be a FF voter or member by the end of the month. If a deal is done I'll vote Fine Gael 1 & 2 and leave it at that.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Boxcar Ira wrote:

That is Statto levels of spin and optimism in fairness. Fortunately they only surged late or they'd have run a lot more candidates.
See above.

And I'm not sure how I'm spinning the 75%. Their overall vote share was 25%. That's usually the shit vote share going through history. Looking through all the constituencies, they'd have brought another few in, maybe hit 45, so not bad but still nowhere close to being able to form a government without FF or FG.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

CM11 wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

A second shinner eats up Labour/SDs/Indos/SOL-PBP at this stage, not FF or FG. If you look through the places they had huge numbers, they brought another like minded TD over the line so Brid Smith was brought over by O Snodaigh and Murphy looks like he might get through thanks to Crowe. As I said above, it was only in 14 of the 39 constituencies that they were the biggest party. This is being hailed as a seismic shift but they're going to end up with the same number of seats as Labour in 2011. And I'm not convinced they can go much better with months of their background and policies being analysed.
Perception and momentum is a terrible thing at times. The Shinners have it.
Liathroidigloine

Any chance we could stage a military coup? Who'd have the bigger "army"?
Liathroidigloine

The Sun God wrote:
That fcuking muppet needs to be gone ASAP. A total disgrace to the party.
Agreed, he is really hopeless.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

de_Selby wrote:

Ah you can't argue this, if you looked at the elected TDs yesterday evening every single one was a shinner, some of them got 25+ % of the vote. If they had only run more candidates they would be in the majority easily.
Saying the people have spoken is clearly true

(as true as saying the people are a bunch of idiots who have no issue electing terrorists..)
And if FF or FG had only run one candidate they'd have been over the line on the first vote too, with a larger share of the vote.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

Liathroidigloine wrote:Who says people will change their vote when told the facts? People vote with their emotions nowadays rather than their brain.
Well this is the thing isnt it? If Brexit and Trump has though us anything, it's that populist voters will double down in the face of looking like they've done the wrong thing.

The whataboutery levels are already high when they get quizzed on the criminality
Lazy Couch potato

Post by Lazy Couch potato »

This will take a few months to form a government.
Let the shinner euphoria pass. Let the stories on each candidate come to the fore. Let a good few shinner stories come out.

This is going for another election very soon.

Disaster for ff actually.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Another election soon will see SF run absolute donkeys and return with an overall majority. Need to avoid that at all costs.
sewa

Post by sewa »

CM11 wrote:
I realise you always endeavour to be relentlessly positive but I just don't see it that rosy. Its a full on shit show and now they will dig up more candidates and be running the same number as FF or FG
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Nolanator wrote:Another election soon will see SF run absolute donkeys and return with an overall majority. Need to avoid that at all costs.
This election appears to have shown they could have run anyone or anything and it would have picked up votes. Dunno if they'd make a majority but with more candidates surely they'd have been the biggest party.

And I can't believe I just typed that sentence.
Last edited by danthefan on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Liathroidigloine wrote:Who says people will change their vote when told the facts? People vote with their emotions nowadays rather than their brain.
So you get to their emotions by going through SFs greatest hits.

I accept that trying to convince people that Mary Lou is a snake oil salesman is a big task but they need to be questioned relentlessly on the murders that they have yet to condemn.
sewa

Post by sewa »

CM11 wrote:

I accept that trying to convince people that Mary Lou is a snake oil salesman is a big task but they need to be questioned relentlessly on the murders that they have yet to condemn.
Doubling down on the same old message will really work, it will yeah
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
de_Selby wrote:

So much this.
Liathroidigloine

CM11 wrote:

They don't care about Jerry McCabe, Frank Hand, Seamus McQuaid or Gary Sheehan.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

Mullet 2 wrote: In my heart of hearts I think I won't be a FF voter or member by the end of the month. If a deal is done I'll vote Fine Gael 1 & 2 and leave it at that.
That's extremely sad :(

I could see FF TD's splitting now. Those who will sit with SF and those who wont. That would be great for Mary Lou. FF beating FG this time is a real poisoned chalice
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
CM11 wrote:

I think a sizeable majority of them have convinced themselves it's in the past but the key right now is not to try and destroy their support, just to weaken it and in particular make sure it doesn't grow.

That said, I don't have a great answer. Confidence and supply was the right thing and it did bloody work from the point of view of keeping the country going even if it wasn't ideal at all. But it looks like there's no appetite for it now and we ain't going to get anyone close to being able to form a government without two of the three going into power together. SF might make some gains in a new election, everything else equal, but won't get close to having the numbers needed.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Nope, they have no idea what it was like back in the 70's and 80's and they don't want to know.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote: In my heart of hearts I think I won't be a FF voter or member by the end of the month. If a deal is done I'll vote Fine Gael 1 & 2 and leave it at that.

I could see FF TD's splitting now. Those who will sit with SF and those who wont. That would be great for Mary Lou. FF beating FG this time is a real poisoned chalice
The whole point of FF was that they were SF without the murdering, if there's a split like that then FF are dead in the water.
The Prophet Zarquon

Post by The Prophet Zarquon »

danthefan wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
de_Selby wrote:

Even the IT has run a barrage of mainly anti Government spin.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Nolanator wrote:Another election soon will see SF run absolute donkeys and return with an overall majority. Need to avoid that at all costs.
Running two candidates (or more) in every constituency has been the hurdle no other "third" party has ever been able to overcome. The Shinners may well be organised enough to do it, but you start diluting the vote and internal constituency tensions can mean instead of 1 candidate on one and a half quotas, you end up with two on 0.6 of a quota each, and no transfers as the electoral tide goes out. And end up with the two candidates fighting for the last seat. At best.
Last edited by camroc1 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liathroidigloine

Boxcar Ira wrote:

What do you expect from a Cork man, they shoot their own.