All Blacks 2019 Year in Review

All things Rugby
Kiwias

Re: All Blacks 2019 Year in Review

Post by Kiwias »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Grandpa wrote:I still think that NZ team could have won the world cup... even with the Scott Barrett aberration... had it been England in the quarterfinal, rather than the semi... I am pretty sure the All Blacks would have won...

It was all mental...
We can speculate and hypothesise as much as we like about how outcomes might have been different if different things had happened. At the end of the day we'll never know. The reality is that professional sports is a results based industry, and the results of 2019 were unacceptable. However no-one was held accountable for this and everyone on the coaching team, aside from the retiring Hansen, was either retained or promoted. NZR's actions since the RWC make it very clear that the board feel that the All Blacks performed well in 2019. They must be living in a fantasy land.
To be fair, the same could be said about the ABs post-RWC2007, when the results were far worse, and we all know what happened next.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Kiwias wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Grandpa wrote:I still think that NZ team could have won the world cup... even with the Scott Barrett aberration... had it been England in the quarterfinal, rather than the semi... I am pretty sure the All Blacks would have won...

It was all mental...
We can speculate and hypothesise as much as we like about how outcomes might have been different if different things had happened. At the end of the day we'll never know. The reality is that professional sports is a results based industry, and the results of 2019 were unacceptable. However no-one was held accountable for this and everyone on the coaching team, aside from the retiring Hansen, was either retained or promoted. NZR's actions since the RWC make it very clear that the board feel that the All Blacks performed well in 2019. They must be living in a fantasy land.
To be fair, the same could be said about the ABs post-RWC2007, when the results were far worse, and we all know what happened next.
I'm not sure that is the case (setting aside exactly where we finished), there was mitigation that time ... this time it was all us.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Wilderbeast wrote:I recall Barrett being largely accepted as a smart move by both the press and posters on here. Definitely don’t recall a large group being uneasy about it.
I just had a quick squizz. Credit to Wilderbeast, Guy Smiley and Altazuma who immediately questioned the selection. I particularly liked Alta's observation that we seemed to be adapting for England's game rather than focusing on our own.

Kiwias, The Native, Auckman and Obelixtim were immediately on board. "#InShagWeTrust" typed Kiwias, no doubt beaming proudly as he typed.

Int he interests of full disclosure, I wrote that it was "a fairly settled team, so no major complaints from me". My minor complaint, though undisclosed at the time, was that there was no need to mess with a well functioning loose trio. :nod:
Last edited by jdogscoop on Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
naki

Post by naki »

UncleFB wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:I recall Barrett being largely accepted as a smart move by both the press and posters on here. Definitely don’t recall a large group being uneasy about it.
Did you only read The Press, whatever the Naki paper is called, and posts from posters from Canterbury and the Naki, but not naki who doesn't seem to fluff the Barrett's like you'd expect from someone with the name naki. :P
I understood the Scott-to-6 move at the time and thought it had as much to do with Matt Todd being injured as it was about targeting the line out. It was a calculated risk that failed, and it wasn’t the reason we lost.
naki

Post by naki »

jdogscoop wrote: "#InShagWeTrust" typed Kiwias, no doubt beaming proudly as he typed.
:lol:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

naki wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Did you only read The Press, whatever the Naki paper is called, and posts from posters from Canterbury and the Naki, but not naki who doesn't seem to fluff the Barrett's like you'd expect from someone with the name naki. :P
I understood the Scott-to-6 move at the time and thought it had as much to do with Matt Todd being injured as it was about targeting the line out. It was a calculated risk that failed, and it wasn’t the reason we lost.
What the hell ... you're letting me down now. :x
naki

Post by naki »

UncleFB wrote:
naki wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
I’ve always liked Dog Roll (oftentimes the best Barrett), Beauden at 15, and have retained an understandable skepticism about Jordie’s swift elevation. We can’t let provincial bias cloud our judgement when it comes to what’s best for the ABs.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

naki wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
naki wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
I’ve always liked Dog Roll (oftentimes the best Barrett), Beauden at 15, and have retained an understandable skepticism about Jordie’s swift elevation. We can’t let provincial bias cloud our judgement when it comes to what’s best for the ABs.
I've always thought Dog Roll is slightly overrated while still a good player (and he managed to avoid flack for his idiotic red card in a way other players wouldn't), agree on Broden at 15, and think the selection of Jordie after his swift elevation was idiotic, fair enough to give him the chance, but it was continuing with him when he was a proven failure that was the head scratcher.

Smiley Barrett was awesome back in the day though.
naki

Post by naki »

Last year Dog Roll merited the hype, definitely didn’t have the best 2019 obviously
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

naki wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
naki wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
We can and we will :x
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Lemoentjie wrote:Looking back, this has been a terrible year for NZ rugby. No RWC, no Rugby Championship, no U20 RWC. Maybe there's a 7s win somewhere to help improve the mood :thumbup:
It's perplexing how harsh some are on the unprecedented sustained sucess the All Blacks have had, it never seems enough. Whereas the Boks can be dogshit season after season, cop a loss at the start of the RWC, fluke another easy draw and suddenly everything is fucking roses.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

jdogscoop wrote:
I just had a quick squizz. Credit to Wilderbeast, Guy Smiley and Altazuma who immediately questioned the selection. I particularly liked Alta's observation that we seemed to be adapting for England's game rather than focusing on our own.

Kiwias, The Native, Auckman and Obelixtim were immediately on board. "#InShagWeTrust" typed Kiwias, no doubt beaming proudly as he typed.

Int he interests of full disclosure, I wrote that it was "a fairly settled team, so no major complaints from me". My minor complaint, though undisclosed at the time, was that there was no need to mess with a well functioning loose trio. :nod:
There was logic behind the selection that made sense. It didn't work out that way unfortunately. And I'm smiling as I type this :twisted:
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Hansen had a weird year. It was like he lost interest or his passion or something. The semi final team selection was abysmal, everyone could see it was a wrong call except him and his mate Foster.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

mr bungle wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:Looking back, this has been a terrible year for NZ rugby. No RWC, no Rugby Championship, no U20 RWC. Maybe there's a 7s win somewhere to help improve the mood :thumbup:
It's perplexing how harsh some are on the unprecedented sustained sucess the All Blacks have had, it never seems enough. Whereas the Boks can be dogshit season after season, cop a loss at the start of the RWC, fluke another easy draw and suddenly everything is fucking roses.
They are the luckiest pricks ever to enter the RWC. A succession of cooked sides in Japan, Wales (who they only just squeaked past) and England.

Still, you can only play who you're drawn against and they had a great final.

Which we can enjoy their fans dining out on for the next four years.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

True Blue wrote:Hansen had a weird year. It was like he lost interest or his passion or something. The semi final team selection was abysmal, everyone could see it was a wrong call except him and his mate Foster.
What I can't believe was that an intelligent bloke like Grant Fox apparently waved it on through.

I like to think he bailed Ian Foster up against the wall, snarling, saying "Pull another fvcking stunt like that you fat cvnt and I'll walk."
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

True Blue wrote:Hansen had a weird year. It was like he lost interest or his passion or something. The semi final team selection was abysmal, everyone could see it was a wrong call except him and his mate Foster.
The selection was fine apart from the Cane dilemma.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Wilderbeast wrote:
The selection was fine apart from the Cane dilemma. And the fact that our midfield had barely played together. And the fact that our halves had barely played together. And the fact that our backrow had barely played together. And the fact that our front row had barely played together. And the fact that our back three had barely played together. But you're right, the selection was fine :thumbup:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
The selection was fine apart from the Cane dilemma. And the fact that our midfield had barely played together. And the fact that our halves had barely played together. And the fact that our backrow had barely played together. And the fact that our front row had barely played together. And the fact that our back three had barely played together. But you're right, the selection was fine :thumbup:
:lol:
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
The forwards were the issue, not the backs. The selections from 9-15 were fine. The only issue with the loosies was Cane (which I mentioned). So that leaves the front row from your list, and I can’t imagine any different selection that would have significantly changed things for the better, though I’m sure you have something in mind?
somer

Post by somer »

merlin the happy pig wrote:lots of talk about the midfield muddle and Mo'unga vs Barrett as though they were determining factors in our loss to England.
They were almost completely irrelevant.

What lost the semi-final
- Poor lineout throwing
- Serious lack of intensity at the tackle
- The much hyped pod system where our loose forwards were stationed 15m behind the gain line to act as a screen to get the ball out wide. End result they weren't able to get to any rucks on time.
- No plan B on attack.
- No leader capable of telling the team plan A was getting them killed.

Selections were symptoms of uncertain thinking among the coaches, but it was a shit game plan, preparation and poor individual skills that killed us in that game.
This.
In the SF it looked as if there was a yawning gulf in quality between the ABs and England but then the Boks killed England.
To keep perspective, our forwards looked poor in the SF but the same blokes have ably matched the Boks, including this RWC.
While we can question Scott Barrett's inclusion, I think there's a more pertinent question - How did the world's consistently best line-out, with a huge height advantage no less, get so utterly outmaneuvered?
We should have owned the line-out all things considered and it was symptomatic of a general breakdown in the ABs tactical nous and focus.
I think the heart of the problem lies in an arrogant and stale brains trust that started to indulge in some holy grail of attacking supremacy and in the process the ABs lost their advantage in basic execution and a match in physical desperation. Hansen lost the plot, Foster never had it and Wayne Smith was a big loss.
Meanwhile the Boks, with an entirely predictable and simple tactical approach, won it all.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

A lot of good points being made. Simple, straightforward question. If the same team was selected and played as they had against Ireland a week earlier would we have won or at least been more competitive?
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

booji boy wrote:A lot of good points being made. Simple, straightforward question. If the same team was selected and played as they had against Ireland a week earlier would we have won or at least been more competitive?
Won. No question in my mind that when the All Blacks are at 100% mentally, no one comes near... which is an indictment on Hansen's man-management ability... he even admitted the team were complacent in the semi.... which I find extraordinary that he would allow that mindset...
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

And begs the question...what the fvck was Gilbert Enoka doing in Japan if not to lift the side for the biggest game of the year?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

jdogscoop wrote:And begs the question...what the fvck was Gilbert Enoka doing in Japan if not to lift the side for the biggest game of the year?
To be fair, if one man could be guaranteed to 'lift' an entire sports team for every big game they faced, and ensure that they were mentally 'up' to deliver peak performance, then he would be worth much more than NZR could afford to pay him. It was primarily Steve Hansen and Ian Foster's job to ensure that our team was peaking at the right time of the RWC tournament. They had had four years to plan for that tournament and full control over every aspect of NZ Rugby, yet still came up shamefully short in the semi final.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Grandpa wrote:
booji boy wrote:A lot of good points being made. Simple, straightforward question. If the same team was selected and played as they had against Ireland a week earlier would we have won or at least been more competitive?
Won. No question in my mind that when the All Blacks are at 100% mentally, no one comes near... which is an indictment on Hansen's man-management ability... he even admitted the team were complacent in the semi.... which I find extraordinary that he would allow that mindset...
Thinking that Hansen “allowed” this is a bit naive imo. I don’t think any coach has really discovered the secret to keeping teams engaged at 100% (or close to it) all game, every game.

I think, as others have said, the Ireland game was possibly given too much relevance. That may not have even been fully Hansen’s doing either, as you can bet the squad was out for revenge. No revenge needed against England, we won that one. Boot was on the other foot and they were proper fired up.

Either way, looks like beating England in England ultimately hurt us at the RWC.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Grandpa wrote:
I'm of the belief that if we had selected Cane we would have one. England won on the back of their early roll ons, Cane was the guy to counter those.

Hahaha, we'll still be discussing this and repeating our same points at least until the next AB test.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:And begs the question...what the fvck was Gilbert Enoka doing in Japan if not to lift the side for the biggest game of the year?
To be fair, if one man could be guaranteed to 'lift' an entire sports team for every big game they faced, and ensure that they were mentally 'up' to deliver peak performance, then he would be worth much more than NZR could afford to pay him. It was primarily Steve Hansen and Ian Foster's job to ensure that our team was peaking at the right time of the RWC tournament. They had had four years to plan for that tournament and full control over every aspect of NZ Rugby, yet still came up shamefully short in the semi final.
Then he is an expense we can do without.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

jdogscoop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Then he is an expense we can do without.
My understanding is that Enoka's main role was like a Guidance Officer/Counsellor. He was there to help support players' mental health when they were having personal/family issues, suffering from depression or navigating through mini-crises such as when Aaron Smith was outed for banging a chick in the airport shitter, when Sevu Reese was publically attacked by the Irish media on the eve of the RWC Quarter Final or when Steve Hansen arrived late to the breakfast buffet and they'd run out of bacon rashers.

I think given the pressure of test rugby, and what we know about mental health and it's impact on professional sports people, it's a good idea to have a role like that embedded in the team to support players and officials.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Your biggest mistake was picking Jordie over Ben Smith for the bench. Despite everything England did you were only a try down with 20 or so mins to go after Savea scored. Jordie threw a shit pass deep in his half rather and booting it down the field. It was a typical youngster's attitude that he had to do something special rather then choose the mundane option. He forgot that there was plenty of time. That's where you lost it.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

CrazyIslander wrote:Your biggest mistake was picking Jordie over Ben Smith for the bench. Despite everything England did you were only a try down with 20 or so mins to go after Savea scored. Jordie threw a shit pass deep in his half rather and booting it down the field. It was a typical youngster's attitude that he had to do something special rather then choose the mundane option. He forgot that there was plenty of time. That's where you lost it.
Hansens love affair with Jordie is a mystery that's for sure. One of many odd selections over the last couple of years. Even an out of form and tired Ben Smith is superior to Jordie.

I think many of us said that at the time. His non-selection of Smith, his weird non selection of Cane, and his weird shuffling around of players over the last 18 months was very Un-New Zealand like, something we hadn't really done since 2007.

For memory sake, here was that team.
New Zealand: Beauden Barrett; Sevu Reece, Jack Goodhue, Anton Lienert-Brown, George Bridge; Richie Mo'unga, Aaron Smith; Joe Moody, Codie Taylor, Nepo Laulala, Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock, Scott Barrett, Ardie Savea, Kieran Read (capt).

Replacements: Dane Coles, Ofa Tuungafasi, Angus Ta'avao, Patrick Tuipulotu, Sam Cane, TJ Perenara, Sonny Bill Williams, Jordie Barrett.
There's some weird selections there, no one can deny that. I mean two rookie centres AND a rookie flyhalf in a major match. You have a lock shoehorned into a loose forward role despite having a very competent and specialist loose forward and you have a VERY hot and cold Jordie Barrett on the bench trying to cover three positions at once and leaving out Ben Smith who is a proven superstar.

This is a team you select against second tier as an experiment, not as a core team against a proven and in form opponent.

Weird shit. Would love to know what the hell Hansens group were smoking when they came up with that team.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

The ABs managed two miraculous tries to beat the Boks in thevpool game. Imagine had those tries didn't come off. You'd probably won the world cup.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

CrazyIslander wrote:Your biggest mistake was picking Jordie over Ben Smith for the bench. Despite everything England did you were only a try down with 20 or so mins to go after Savea scored. Jordie threw a shit pass deep in his half rather and booting it down the field. It was a typical youngster's attitude that he had to do something special rather then choose the mundane option. He forgot that there was plenty of time. That's where you lost it.
Unless Ben Smith doubles as a 4th loosie, he was never saving that match from the bench.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Wilderbeast wrote:
Unless Ben Smith doubles as a 4th loosie, he was never saving that match from the bench.
6 points down with 20 mins to go is nothing to an ABs side especially if you had just scored. Jordie handed back momentum to England. It was the critical moment.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

In a game where we were royally f**ked over up front, second best tactically, never looked like scoring a try that wasn’t given to us and with England missing out on two tries, you think the biggest mistake was who was the sub for the outside backs?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Wilderbeast wrote:In a game where we were royally f**ked over up front, second best tactically, never looked like scoring a try that wasn’t given to us and with England missing out on two tries, you think the biggest mistake was who was the sub for the outside backs?
CI has presented a pretty compelling argument that this is indeed the case. :shock: :lol:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

What makes me laugh about all these comments about the non selection of a player like Ben Smith as if would have somehow saved the day is that he was on the field when were were similarly f**ked over by the Wallabies in Perth and he played so poorly in that match he was dropped. What possible difference would he have made.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Wilderbeast wrote:In a game where we were royally f**ked over up front, second best tactically, never looked like scoring a try that wasn’t given to us and with England missing out on two tries, you think the biggest mistake was who was the sub for the outside backs?
I've seen countless ABs matches where they've been outplayed but still won. With 20 mins to go after the Savea try it seemed like one of those matches. All they needed was to get back into England's half. They did not need to throw passes near their 22.
elcamino

Post by elcamino »

CrazyIslander wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
6 points down with 20 mins to go is nothing to an ABs side especially if you had just scored. Jordie handed back momentum to England. It was the critical moment.
I reckon Richie Mo'unga's missed tackle at the start of the game was worse. The momentum England took fro that first drive was huge
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

booji boy wrote:What makes me laugh about all these comments about the non selection of a player like Ben Smith as if would have somehow saved the day is that he was on the field when were were similarly f**ked over by the Wallabies in Perth and he played so poorly in that match he was dropped. What possible difference would he have made.
Semi final - big match experience. Making the right decisions.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

CrazyIslander wrote:
booji boy wrote:What makes me laugh about all these comments about the non selection of a player like Ben Smith as if would have somehow saved the day is that he was on the field when were were similarly f**ked over by the Wallabies in Perth and he played so poorly in that match he was dropped. What possible difference would he have made.
Semi final - big match experience. Making the right decisions.
Ben Smith would rather forget about his other RWC semi I think...