Bay Oval – Tuesday, 11 February 2020, 3pm

21 FEB
First Test Match
Basin Reserve – Friday, 21 February 2020, 11:30am

29 FEB
Second Test Match
Hagley Oval –Saturday, 29 February 2020, 11:30am

Squads:

India T20 Squad: Virat Kohli (c), Rohit Sharma (vc), Lokesh Rahul, Shikhar Dhawan, Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Rishabh Pant (wicketkeeper), Shivam Dube, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Washington Sundar, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami, Navdeep Saini, Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur.

Black Caps T20 Squad: Black Caps T20 squad: Kane Williamson (c), Hamish Bennett, Tom Bruce (matches 4-5) Colin de Grandhomme (matches 1-3), Martin Guptill, Scott Kuggeleijn, Daryl Mitchell, Colin Munro, Mitchell Santner, Tim Seifert, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Blair Tickner.
Last edited by mrbrownstone on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
mrbrownstone

Re: Black Caps vs India: T20/ODI/Test Series Thread

Post by mrbrownstone »

Right, so after the proposed Australian test tour was mysteriously cancelled, we move on to the main event of the home summer.

India named their T20 squad today, so I figured now was the time to start a thread. Doesn't look like they're pulling any punches, as that seems to be pretty much full strength. With a T20 World Cup later in the year, this looms as an important series for the Black Caps. Surprisingly, India are only ranked 5th in the ICC T20 rankings (to our 6th), and lost 2-1 last year when they were here, so this should be a relatively even series. However, we all know how accurate those rankings really are.

The wounds are still too raw to think about test selection, but this will also be our first ODI series since the drawn World Cup final, and I think it shapes as a good chance to introduce a few fresh faces. Glenn Phillips should get a shot - ideally partnering Guptill at the top with Munro finally dropped - after impressing in the 3rd Test (which never really happened). Will Young has also played in a couple of A matches for Central Districts recently, after a long injury layoff. I hope to see him get a run.

Hopefully a bit of mindless T20 slogging can help a few of our batsman rediscover form. Here's the XI I'd start with, keeping in mind Boult, Ferguson, and Latham are still injured:

1. Guptill
2. Munro
3. Williamson
4. CDG
5. Taylor
6. Seifert (wk)
7. Neesham
8. Santner
9. Southee
10. Sodhi
11. Hamish Bennett

Bennett is a bit of an outside selection, but with Boult & Ferguson injured, and the likes of Rance, Tickner, and Kuggeleign all going at over 9s in their opportunities so far, he'd be my pick.

One of Guptill or Munro may have to make way for Devin Conway when he's eligible, who's absolutely slaughtering the Super Smash at the moment - 5 50s & a 100 in 10 innings, 171 runs more than the next top run scorer.
J Man

Post by J Man »

mrbrownstone wrote:Right, so after the proposed Australian test tour was mysteriously cancelled, we move on to the main event of the home summer.
I read that since a ball wasn't bowled, the higher ranked team (NZ, 2nd) going into the series was assumed to have won it and got the points for the test championship :thumbup:
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

J Man wrote:
mrbrownstone wrote:Right, so after the proposed Australian test tour was mysteriously cancelled, we move on to the main event of the home summer.
I read that since a ball wasn't bowled, the higher ranked team (NZ, 2nd) going into the series was assumed to have won it and got the points for the test championship :thumbup:
Makes sense to me :thumbup: :thumbup:
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

It's coming up 4 years since Bmac last played for the BCs. Can we please get a new photo?

May I suggest
Spoiler: show
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Did Phillips really impress? Hate to be that guy but he was dropped at least twice on his way to 50 and then got nothing in his second innings.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Now Williamson is no longer ranked as one of the worlds top 3 test batsmen I wonder if he can reverse the slide
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Kahu wrote:It's coming up 4 years since Bmac last played for the BCs. Can we please get a new photo?

May I suggest
Spoiler: show
Last time India played tests in NZ. Hoping for a repeat of BMacs 301* this time around. Besides, the Dhoni runout pic is more recent.

*We'll be lucky to make that as a team total, based on recent efforts.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

True Blue wrote:Did Phillips really impress? Hate to be that guy but he was dropped at least twice on his way to 50 and then got nothing in his second innings.
You make your own luck, I guess. He's not the second coming or anything, but 50 against that attack with senior batting partners tumbling around him is a decent effort - certainly something to build from.

It's more that he's been in good domestic form recently, and I think we need to find a new wicketkeeper/opener in ODIs, with neither Latham nor Munro impressing lately. Phillips would tick both boxes.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

mrbrownstone wrote: Last time India played tests in NZ. Hoping for a repeat of BMacs 301* this time around. Besides, the Dhoni runout pic is more recent.

*We'll be lucky to make that as a team total, based on recent efforts.
Ahh yes good memory. At least if we're downtrou'd we will still have an overall test winning record over them edit: in NZ
Last edited by Kahu on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Five T20's?

x(
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

RuggaBugga wrote:Five T20's?

x(
Yup. x(

Get used to it though, it's a T20 World Cup year - we have 5 against India, 3 against Australia, 1 against Scotland, 3 against Ireland, three against the Windies, 3 against Bangladesh, and 3 MORE against the Windies, this time at home. Not to mention at least 5 pool games at the T20 World Cup.

26 T20s in 2020.

Our next test series are both only 2 tests each though, of course.
Last edited by mrbrownstone on Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

mrbrownstone wrote:

x(
Yup. x(

Get used to it though, it's a T20 World Cup year - we have 5 against India, 3 against Australia, 1 against Scotland, 3 against Ireland, three against the Windies, 3 against Bangladesh, and 3 MORE against the Windies, this time at home. Not to mention at least 5 pool games at the T20 World Cup.

26 T20s in 2020.

Our next 2 test series are both only 2 tests each though, of course.
If we’re honest, that recent series in Straya that didn’t happen, I don’t think we played enough cricket to fill two tests. It may be announced as only two tests but we have to play seven actual matches to fill that quota up.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

x(
Got to give the public what they want.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

India took a pasting last night :shock:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

JPNZ wrote:India took a pasting last night :shock:
Did they ever!

I went to bed when the run rate was something like 8 and the required run rate was 2.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Makes me feel a bit better about the test series, seeing Australia demolish India like that in India.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

mrbrownstone wrote:
Makes me feel a bit better about the test series, seeing Australia demolish India like that in India.
They're red hot at the moment. Was great of us to play them back into form.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

True Blue wrote:
mrbrownstone wrote:
Nah, that was Pakistan. At least you guys bowled us out a couple of times.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Black Caps all-rounder Daryl Mitchell will join his father John as a New Zealand sporting team skipper later this week.

Mitchell, 27, will lead a youthful New Zealand XI for two cricket one-dayers against an India A side stacked with 10 internationals.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/1 ... am-captain
New Zealand XI: Daryl Mitchell (Northern Districts) (c), Finn Allen (Auckland Aces), Jakob Bhula (Wellington Firebirds), Jack Boyle (Canterbury), Katene Clarke (Northern Districts), Josh Clarkson (Central Stags), Dane Cleaver (Central Stags) (wk), Zak Gibson (Northern Districts), Andrew Hazeldine (Canterbury), Henry Shipley (Canterbury), Sean Solia (Auckland Aces), Theo van Woerkom (Canterbury)

India A Squad: Shubman Gill (c), Mayank Agarwal, Khaleel Ahmed, Rahul Chahar, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Ishan Kishan (wk), Krunal Pandya, Axar Patel, Ishan Porel, Sanju Samson, Vijay Shankar, Prithvi Shaw, Mohammed Siraj, Sandeep Warrier, Suryakumar Yadav.
Don't recognise many names in that NZ XI apart from Mitchell. Finn Allen scored a 100 against England in a tour match a few months ago and is only 20, so might be one to keep an eye on. Rest are either journeymen or youngsters.

These games should be fairly one-sided, but a good chance for some young guys to put their hands up.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Black Caps T20 squad named:
Black Caps T20 squad: Kane Williamson (c), Hamish Bennett, Tom Bruce (matches 4-5) Colin de Grandhomme (matches 1-3), Martin Guptill, Scott Kuggeleijn, Daryl Mitchell, Colin Munro, Mitchell Santner, Tim Seifert, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Blair Tickner.

Not considered due to injury: Trent Boult (right hand), Lockie Ferguson (right calf), Matt Henry (left thumb), Tom Latham (right pinky), Doug Bracewell (knee), Will Young (right shoulder), Adam Milne (ankle).
Pace stocks absolutely decimated looking at that injury list - no Boult, Ferguson, Henry, Bracewell, or Milne.

I do think Hamish Bennett is a good callup, third most wickets in the Super Smash this year, with the highest dot ball% of any bowler. I'm not really convinced by Tickner, and the less said about Kuggeleijn the better.

The other issue with this squad is how we organise the top order. Guptill, Williamson, Munro, and Seifert are all top 3 batsmen in this form of the game. Who slides down the order? Assume it'll have to be Seifert.

I'm also surprised Neesham is nowhere to be seen.

From that squad I'd pick:

1. Guptill
2. Munro
3. Williamson (c)
4. CDG
5. Taylor
6. Seifert (wk)
7. Mitchell
8. Santner
9. Southee
10. Sodhi
11. Bennett

Arguably a bowler light, but Mitchell, CDG, Munro, and Williamson should be able to share 4.

I think come the World Cup, Boult, Ferguson, Conway, and Neesham are all in our best XI. Possibly Phillips too depending on Seifert's form.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

We've also named an A squad to take on India A next week.
Tom Bruce (c), Todd Astle, Tom Blundell (wk), Mark Chapman, Jacob Duffy, Kyle Jamieson, Cole McConchie, Jimmy Neesham, Ollie Newton, Ajaz Patel, Glenn Phillips, Rachin Ravindra, George Worker

A bit of talent in there, although we'll get pumped by India.

Probably something like:

1. Ravindra
2. Worker
3. Phillips
4. Bruce (c)
5. Blundell (wk)
6. Chapman
7. Neesham
8. Astle
9. Duffy/Netwon
10. Jamieson
11. Patel
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

No point having a fixed order in T20 in my opinion, things are too fluid and situational.

For example, after the openers are out and Williamson comes in, you could bench Taylor and just send in power players like CdG, Seifert, Mitchell etc until Williamson is gone or you get to number 7
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

deadduck wrote:No point having a fixed order in T20 in my opinion, things are too fluid and situational.

For example, after the openers are out and Williamson comes in, you could bench Taylor and just send in power players like CdG, Seifert, Mitchell etc until Williamson is gone or you get to number 7
Yeah fair point. I think teams are getting better at this, although the Black Caps can still be too rigid at times.

Williamson/Taylor are basically safety nets for a not unlikely collapse. If Munro and Guptill get off to a flyer though you're right, Seifert, CDG etc should be straight in - although I still think there's value in saving a hitter for the end, you don't really want Williamson coming in with 4 overs to go and struggling to hit from ball one.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

India A kept to 279/8 against the NZ XI. Not bad for a bunch of no-name bowlers. Zak Gibson the standout with 4/51 - all 4 international players in Agarwal, Shankar, K Pandya, and A Patel. Only 22 so maybe one to watch out for.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Not watching it, following along with the Black Clash online. Team Cricket 26/4 off 8.

Jordie Barrett with figures of 2/2 off 2. Bowled Fleming and Ronchi apparently. :shock: :shock:

Time for a career change.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

True Blue wrote:
mrbrownstone wrote:
Well that turned around didn't it
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

1st game tonight at 7.50pm NZST

Black Caps v India, Twenty20 international series

Black Caps squad: Kane Williamson (c), Hamish Bennett, Tom Bruce (matches 4-5) Colin de Grandhomme (matches 1-3), Martin Guptill, Scott Kuggeleijn, Daryl Mitchell, Colin Munro, Mitchell Santner, Tim Seifert, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Blair Tickner.

India squad: Virat Kohli (c), Rohit Sharma (vc), Lokesh Rahul, Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Rishabh Pant, Shivam Dube, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Washington Sundar, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami, Navdeep Saini, Ravindra Jadeja, Sanju Samson, Shardul Thakur.

TAB ODDS:

NZ = $2.35
INDIA = $1.54
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Big day for NZ vs India games. NZ A vs India A ongoing at the moment, the T20 tonight, and also playing at the U19 world cup tonight.

NZ A got thrashed in the first game. Currently 231/5 off 44. George Worker 118*, not much else to write home about.

The NZ XI vs India A game threw up some interesting scores, despite NZ A losing. Chasing 372, Jack Boyle scored 130 (130) and Finn Allen 87 (65). Ended up 12 runs short at 360.

Finn Allen is definitely one to keep an eye on - scored a ton in the warm up match against England last year, facing Curran, Archer, Broad, Woakes etc. Was also our leading run scorer in the 2018 Under 19s World Cup, including a ton against the Windies and the equal fastest 50 (19 balls) in U19s history. Only 20 now so definitely a name to remember.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

India win the toss and bowl.

India: 1 Rohit Sharma, 2 KL Rahul (wk), 3 Virat Kohli (capt), 4 Shreyas Iyer, 5 Manish Pandey, 6 Shivam Dube, 7 Ravindra Jadeja, 8 Shardul Thakur, 9 Yuzvendra Chahal, 10 Mohammed Shami 11 Jasprit Bumrah

New Zealand: 1 Martin Guptill, 2 Colin Munro, 3 Kane Williamson (capt), 4 Ross Taylor, 5 Tim Seifert (wk), 6 Colin de Grandhomme, 7 Mitchell Santner, 8 Tim Southee, 9 Ish Sodhi, 10 Blair Tickner, 11 Hamish Bennett

Not a bad XI for NZ - Tickner and Bennett being the big question marks.
J Man

Post by J Man »

Have to think India will chase down anything under 220 with ease.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

mrbrownstone wrote:
Not a bad XI for NZ - Tickner and Bennett being the big question marks.
Indeed. They proved themselves to be canny bowlers in the Dream11 Super Smash but there's a big difference between tickling up the likes of Mark Chapman and Craig Cachopa and bowling to Kohli and Sharma.
J Man

Post by J Man »

Should have played in a phone both instead to allow for a bit more room.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

J Man wrote:Have to think India will chase down anything under 220 with ease.
It’s so hard to judge the score on this piss poor cricket ground. If they were playing on a normal sized stadium NZ would more likely be around 60/1 after 9 overs
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

They are turning the screws now. This could be a risky period if we make mistakes looking to ease the pressure.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

A mate has asked if anyone knows a good live source for this match
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

The worm has turned as usual.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Taylor is gorgeous to watch in this form