AIG: "All Blacks are rubbish and we're dropping them"

All things Rugby
J Man

AIG: "All Blacks are rubbish and we're dropping them"

Post by J Man »

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12300241
New Zealand Rugby and the All Blacks are parting ways with AIG as a major sponsor.

The American insurance company has been a sponsor of New Zealand Rugby since 2012, with the initial five-year deal worth a reported $80m.

AIG renewed the multi-million dollar contract in 2016, retaining its central spot on the All Blacks jersey until the end of the 2021 season.

The current sponsorship agreement sees AIG directly sponsor the All Blacks, the All Blacks Sevens, the Maori All Blacks, the Black Ferns, the New Zealand Black Ferns Sevens and New Zealand Under 20 teams.

NZR Chief Executive Mark Robinson said the international insurance giant was giving both organisations ample time to prepare for new opportunities in the future.

"We have enjoyed a hugely successful and mutually beneficial commercial partnership that has helped both AIG and NZR to strengthen our respective brands on the world stage.

"Through this partnership, NZR and the six national teams sponsored by AIG have been able to grow rugby's presence in new and growing markets, with opportunities to play in new territories and introduce our teams to new fans all over the world," Robinson said.

"Lengthy commercial partnerships such as this are unusual, and the lead-in time provided means NZR is very well placed to attract new sponsors," Robinson said.

"AIG has been a special partner not only because of their presence on the front of the treasured black jersey, but because they have been a leading voice on social issues that are dear to NZR and to our athletes.

"We are proud that New Zealand Rugby players were the faces of their #EffortisEffort and #DiversityIsStrength campaigns, promoting positive social messages and equality on and off the sporting field. Such campaigns have received a number of accolades, including being recognised at prestigious international advertising ceremonies such as Cannes and the Clio Awards in New York.

"AIG has been behind the All Blacks through a dominant period on-field, including a Rugby World Cup win in 2015, the Black Ferns' 2017 Rugby World Cup win in Ireland, double gold at the Commonwealth Games and at the Sevens Rugby World Cup for the All Blacks Sevens and Black Ferns Sevens teams in 2018, while off-field, the All Blacks received the coveted Laureus Award and the Princess of Asturias Award.

"We will continue to work with AIG through another exciting period for our teams – with both the men's and women's sevens teams seeking gold at the Tokyo Olympics later in 2020, and the Black Ferns heading into the Rugby World Cup 2021 as defending champions and the tournament's host nation," Robinson said.
Sensible Stephen

Re: AIG: "All Blacks are rubbish and we're dropping them"

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Should ask Qantas if they want to sponsor them.
J Man

Post by J Man »

Can't help but think this is far more massive than what NZ Rugby will have us believe. 2019 World Cup result and the public feeling around Ian Foster has caused them to bail.

That's a very large sum of money we need to all of a sudden find a replacement for.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

The 100 million out of Sky per year should go a long way to covering.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

sonic_attack wrote:The 100 million out of Sky per year should go a long way to covering.
Some hefty rumours a new sponsor is also 3 letters....
J Man

Post by J Man »

JPNZ wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:The 100 million out of Sky per year should go a long way to covering.
I don't see Sky TV being in a position to stump up the cash at the moment.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

J Man wrote:Can't help but think this is far more massive than what NZ Rugby will have us believe. 2019 World Cup result and the public feeling around Ian Foster has caused them to bail.

That's a very large sum of money we need to all of a sudden find a replacement for.
Bollocks name sponsors change all the time, I was surprised that AIG lasted as long as it did considering they a yank company, and most thought it was a 4 year deal to get AIG's name a bit of publicity after a couple of bad years . Well that's what mate in public relations type stuff had said to me when AIG first got there name on jersey. I don't think many international rugby teams will get 20 mill a year from one sponsor for too long.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

I suppose Dublin GAA will have to continue to bring in the bucks.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

All good things come to an end. I imagine Air New Zealand might kick the tyres.
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

I think it's a smart move by AIG.
The ABs brand is currently pretty good, but it's medium term future doesn't look that bright.
This has little to do with choosing Foster as a coach. (FYI I don't rate him either)

Quite simply it's because there doesn't appear to have been any progress made on the issue of player drain and a poorly supported/structured Super rugby tournament.
These are the bedrock on which the ABs are built.

No obvious additional revenue streams are coming any time soon, so the ability to keep players here looks if anything to be getting weaker.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

JPNZ wrote:
the..the..K.G.B... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

Seneca of the Night wrote:The GAA.
you're better off with the KGB; at least they don't pretend to be anything other than a bunch of crooks !
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

J Man wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
I don't see Sky TV being in a position to stump up the cash at the moment.
They jersey sponsor the Breakers and Phoenix plus naming for Wellington stadium. I wouldn’t put it past them especially considering NZ Rugby’s part ownership of Sky NZ.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

I can’t imagine sky could afford it unless NZRU we’re actively passing on other options. Which I understand they did for the tv rights?
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

fishfoodie wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:The GAA.
you're better off with the KGB; at least they don't pretend to be anything other than a bunch of crooks !
GAA probably the best amateur sporting organisation in the world. Intertwined into nearly every fabric of Irish society, so there are indeed similarities to the KGB!
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

J Man wrote:https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12300241
New Zealand Rugby and the All Blacks are parting ways with AIG as a major sponsor.

The American insurance company has been a sponsor of New Zealand Rugby since 2012, with the initial five-year deal worth a reported $80m.

AIG renewed the multi-million dollar contract in 2016, retaining its central spot on the All Blacks jersey until the end of the 2021 season.

The current sponsorship agreement sees AIG directly sponsor the All Blacks, the All Blacks Sevens, the Maori All Blacks, the Black Ferns, the New Zealand Black Ferns Sevens and New Zealand Under 20 teams.

NZR Chief Executive Mark Robinson said the international insurance giant was giving both organisations ample time to prepare for new opportunities in the future.

"We have enjoyed a hugely successful and mutually beneficial commercial partnership that has helped both AIG and NZR to strengthen our respective brands on the world stage. So successful and beneficial that we have parted

"Through this partnership, NZR and the six national teams sponsored by AIG have been able to grow rugby's presence in new and growing markets, with opportunities to play in new territories and introduce our teams to new fans all over the world," Robinson said.In the modern commercial world, success is defined by new customers, even at the expense of existing customers because old customers can always become new customers

"Lengthy commercial partnerships such as this are unusual, and the lead-in time provided means NZR is very well placed to attract new sponsors," Robinson said. We thought we were doing another deal plum

"AIG has been a special partner not only because of their presence on the front of the treasured black jersey, but because they have been a leading voice on social issues that are dear to NZR and to our athletes.Certain Crusaders have cost us this sponsor but old rugby boys will always back rugby boys

"We are proud that New Zealand Rugby players were the faces of their #EffortisEffort and #DiversityIsStrength campaigns, promoting positive social messages and equality on and off the sporting field. Such campaigns have received a number of accolades, including being recognised at prestigious international advertising ceremonies such as Cannes and the Clio Awards in New York.Like anyone gives a shit?

"AIG has been behind the All Blacks through a dominant period on-field, including a Rugby World Cup win in 2015, the Black Ferns' 2017 Rugby World Cup win in Ireland, double gold at the Commonwealth Games and at the Sevens Rugby World Cup for the All Blacks Sevens and Black Ferns Sevens teams in 2018, while off-field, the All Blacks received the coveted Laureus Award and the Princess of Asturias Award. Weird flex but ok

"We will continue to work with AIG through another exciting period for our teams – with both the men's and women's sevens teams seeking gold at the Tokyo Olympics later in 2020, and the Black Ferns heading into the Rugby World Cup 2021 as defending champions and the tournament's host nation," Robinson said.mic drop
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

I didn't like it at first but I grew to like the AIG on the All Black jersey. It looked at home there like Steinlager did.

The new frontier is Asia. Get ready for Huawei Blacks.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

Auckman wrote:I didn't like it at first but I grew to like the AIG on the All Black jersey. It looked at home there like Steinlager did.

will definitely come in useful when stealing the oppositions lineout calls
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Auckman wrote:I didn't like it at first but I grew to like the AIG on the All Black jersey. It looked at home there like Steinlager did.

Alibaba Blacks?
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Anyone but Vodafone
Cullen

Post by Cullen »

Orr Bracks
grievous

Post by grievous »

JPNZ wrote:
KFC?
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

You fvcked up the chance of a major Asian sponsor by losing the WC.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

kiwinoz wrote:

Alibaba Blacks?
Your stuttter is getting worse
Lacrobat

Post by Lacrobat »

JPNZ wrote:
IBM?
naki

Post by naki »

So we’ve still got two more years of them lousing up the front of that jersey?

It’s time to get real with this shit

kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

MungoMan wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

Alibaba Blacks?
Your stuttter is getting worse
:lol:
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

kiwinoz wrote:

Alibaba Blacks?
:lol:
Plastic Sarrie

Post by Plastic Sarrie »

naki wrote:So we’ve still got two more years of them lousing up the front of that jersey?

It’s time to get real with this shit

The GOAT, for me

Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Rugby Team SKY?

Are we in for a era of marginal gains and nudge nudge wink wink?
RandomNavigat0r

Post by RandomNavigat0r »

CrazyIslander wrote:You fvcked up the chance of a major Asian sponsor by losing the WC.
They did beat the champions in that world cup. And we all know if NZL hadnt knocked them into the easy side of the draw the saffas would have lost to Ireland.