Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
Duff Paddy

Re: China virus cases triple as infection spreads

Post by Duff Paddy »

AD345 wrote:Well it's an ill wind...

One of the products we sell in my new role is (drumroll please) hand sanitiser.

We are now sending 40' containers of stock directly to customers (the product is manufactured offshore)

Its like a succession of cash dumps just rolling in.

Of course thoughts and prayers and oodles of concern etc.

Keep safe, keep clean!
Your targets for next year will be interesting
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

sorCrer wrote: :lol:

I've taken an absolute thrashing on gold stock. DRD and Sibanye in particular. Still in the green but barely. Bargain prices available.
Give it a week and people who bought at your "bargain" prices might have lost their shirts
Last edited by Anonymous 1 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:I may purchase some tinned goods tomorrow.
Get a grip. Food shortages ffs how long do you think you’d last. If it comes to that we are all going down.
I like tinned peas, what can I say.
naki

Post by naki »

AD345 wrote:Well it's an ill wind...

One of the products we sell in my new role is (drumroll please) hand sanitiser.

We are now sending 40' containers of stock directly to customers (the product is manufactured offshore)

Its like a succession of cash dumps just rolling in.

Of course thoughts and prayers and oodles of concern etc.

Keep safe, keep clean!
Last night mentals were lined up in the shopping row with sanitizers, blocking normal shoppers from accessing other aisles despite the fact that stocks had already clearly sold out.

We need some hand sanity. But make hay while the germs shine, bro :nod:
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Anonymous. wrote:

I've taken an absolute thrashing on gold stock. DRD and Sibanye in particular. Still in the green but barely. Bargain prices available.
Give it a week and people who bought at your "bargain" prices might have lost their shirts
We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful. ~ Warren Buffett
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

OMG Should I say goodbye now?
A COVID-19 CASE diagnosed in Swansea. Does this mean my days are numbered? :shock: x(
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Second case of unknown origin in the US. Given testing sick people is essentially looking back a week or 2 in time to when they were infected and there’s likely been significant spread since then, I’d imagine the US is new next epicentre.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Bindi wrote:Second case of unknown origin in the US. Given testing sick people is essentially looking back a week or 2 in time to when they were infected and there’s likely been significant spread since then, I’d imagine the US is new next epicentre.
Me arriving in LAX next month....

paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Flyin Ryan wrote:People talking about 48k deaths in a Western country like it's nothing. Western society and the media gets itself outraged when 5 people are hit by a car. Perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's only a bit. I'm going about everything is normal and if something occurs will try to remain stoic about it, but the way modern society operates, we collectively are not going to take this well. We're not structured as a society to think and react rationally to problems. If they do Chinese measures of block off entire cities, we absolutely won't react well - high population-level quarantine is effectively martial law.
Dublin is all but out of sanitizer and masks apparently.
I read elsewhere that governments as a couple weeks ago were trying to stockpile masks for first-line health people (nurses, doctors, etc.). Seems a lot of the problem is the masks are made in China and China need to keep them to themselves at this point.
The problem isn’t necessarily(please god) the deaths it causes it’s the disruption. Stopping the spread stops the health service being overwhelmed. In that scenario hospitals become incubators for the virus. Of that happens you and others in your community will feel the effects indirectly. Very hard to remain stoic when your local A & E can’t admit you for lack of beds. The problem isn’t actually people dropping dead in the street etc, it’s how we manage a week or more disruption to our lives. There’ll be plenty of food etc. If we can stop the health service getting overwhelmed I think people will in general grub and bear it.

I’ve only half a dozen people I’m actually worried about, none have compromised immune systems(AFAIK)but all over 70.

So again, have to ask have you lost yet? Interested to know how the game tracks the lives experience.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

message #2527204 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:People talking about 48k deaths in a Western country like it's nothing. Western society and the media gets itself outraged when 5 people are hit by a car. Perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's only a bit. I'm going about everything is normal and if something occurs will try to remain stoic about it, but the way modern society operates, we collectively are not going to take this well. We're not structured as a society to think and react rationally to problems. If they do Chinese measures of block off entire cities, we absolutely won't react well - high population-level quarantine is effectively martial law.
I read elsewhere that governments as a couple weeks ago were trying to stockpile masks for first-line health people (nurses, doctors, etc.). Seems a lot of the problem is the masks are made in China and China need to keep them to themselves at this point.

The UK lose 15-20k a year to flu , they’ll be a cross over
Of patients with CV. The current death rates are manageable.
Flu has 0.1% mortality rate. This is 10-20 times worse. Everyone will personally know someone severely ill, and probably know someone who will die.
and it’s about managing the numbers who require medical treatment in a hospital.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

sorCrer wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful. ~ Warren Buffett
I'm not fearful. I'm quite confident this will get worse
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

TheFrog wrote:
massive_field_goal wrote:US futures looking shaky. Could be another one of those days.
“So, the Coronavirus, which started in China and spread to various countries throughout the world, but very slowly in the U.S. because President Trump closed our border, and ended flights, VERY EARLY, is now being blamed, by the Do Nothing Democrats, to be the fault of ‘Trump,’” the president wrote on Twitter just after midnight.
Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) &
@CNN
are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!
@CDCgov

:lol:
This is actually kind of funny. The more he doesn’t make it a public health matter and develop a response, the worse the market will react. He still thinks he can whisper the market into a rally.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Mick Mannock wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:Against my better judgement I’m doing an ‘apocalypse’ shop this morning.
Leffe and Sewa will be along soon
A timely freedom of movement reminder no doubt.

I’m in Tesco and us preppers are eyeballing each other neverously over the sacks of rice and uht milk.
I have enough Huel alone to last my family for two months.

The chuckle brothers Leffe and Sewa have gone a bit quiet recently. They will doubtless resume their sneering double act at some point.
Ah jaysus. Lads the food won’t stop arriving ffs. It’s niche stuff like medicine etc.
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

The countries list with cases/ deaths etc starting to look a bit like an Olympic medal table.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

kiwinoz wrote:The countries list with cases/ deaths etc starting to look a bit like an Olympic medal table.
No, it doesn't in any way look like an olympic medal table. How hard did you bang your head?
grievous

Post by grievous »

Just heard from relatives that travelled back from the UK that after Manchester there was no health checks all the way to Adelaide via HK. A guy vomited violently in their row and they had to move.
Yet our government tells us they are hitting this thing hard and we are ready.
Bullshit, they wont mobilise for this event even if they could we are just on the delay due to our position on the globe, its coming to a venue near you wherever you are its just a matter of time and people will get through it by self immunisation by catching it and recovering from it, the elderly and very young will be at high risk and a certain number will die.
Indonesia still claims no infections! 300m plus people across a huge archipelago in Asia :lol:
This event has happened in other forms before and will again its just that time in human history again.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

paddyor wrote:
The problem isn’t necessarily(please god) the deaths it causes it’s the disruption. Stopping the spread stops the health service being overwhelmed. In that scenario hospitals become incubators for the virus. Of that happens you and others in your community will feel the effects indirectly. Very hard to remain stoic when your local A & E can’t admit you for lack of beds. The problem isn’t actually people dropping dead in the street etc, it’s how we manage a week or more disruption to our lives. There’ll be plenty of food etc. If we can stop the health service getting overwhelmed I think people will in general grub and bear it.

I’ve only half a dozen people I’m actually worried about, none have compromised immune systems(AFAIK)but all over 70.

So again, have to ask have you lost yet? Interested to know how the game tracks the lives experience.
Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher in Star Trek, played himself in Big Bang Theory) has a YouTube channel where they play board games. They have an episode for Pandemic and how it plays.

https://youtu.be/ytK1zDPPDhw
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

The NZ case was someone from Tehran via Bali to Auckland, visible signs and no checking. They are tracking two rows either side of the victim but how many others would have come into contact with this guy directly and indirectly (expelled air/coughs etc) both on the flight and whilst in transit?
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has warned party officials there would be “serious consequences” of failing to prevent an outbreak of coronavirus in that country.

More from AFP:

The impoverished nation, with a weak and ill-equipped healthcare system, has closed its borders to prevent the spread of the disease into its territory.

Kim told a meeting of the ruling Workers’ Party of Korea that the fight against the virus was a “crucial state affair for the defence of the people” that required maximum discipline, according to the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

“In case the infectious disease spreading beyond control finds its way into our country, it will entail serious consequences,” KCNA quoted Kim as saying.

Two senior officials - party vice-chairmen Ri Man Gon and Pak Thae Dok - were sacked, and a party unit disbanded for corruption, the report said, indicating that they may have been involved in graft linked with the anti-epidemic measures.

“No special cases must be allowed,” he added, and ordered officials to “seal off all the channels and space through which the infectious disease may find its way”.

Pyongyang has not reported a single case of COVID-19, which has killed more than 2,800 people and infected over 84,000 people in dozens of countries since it emerged in neighbouring China.

North Korea has banned tourists, suspended international trains and flights and placed hundreds of foreigners in quarantine to prevent an outbreak. It has also reportedly postponed the new school term.

With loudspeakers blaring hygiene messages, ambassadors locked in their compounds, and state media demanding “absolute obedience”, North Korea’s anti-coronavirus measures have been described as “unprecedented” by diplomats.

South Korea, meanwhile, is battling a major outbreak of the virus with more than 2,300 cases - the highest number outside mainland China.

Germany’s ambassador to the United Nations has said the Security Council would adopt humanitarian exemptions to the sanctions imposed on Pyongyang over its weapons programmes, and allow the export of equipment to help North Korea fight the coronavirus.

But “the problem is that right now the North Koreans closed the borders,” Christoph Heusgen said Thursday after a closed-door Security Council meeting about the reclusive state.

The members of the Security Council called on North Korea “to allow this equipment in. So the population can be protected,” he added, without elaborating on the type of equipment.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

They've had a couple cases of unknown origin crop up in Santa Clara County announced today (just south of San Francisco).

CDC today had sent a bunch of testing kits to California public health labs per CNN.

Port of Los Angeles said their shipping volume has decreased 25%.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Still finding it difficult to get hyped about the whole tbf.

Yes it is said to have a 2-3% fatality rate, but then something like 80% of people just experience moderate illness and then get on with it.

So if you take into account people just not bothering to go to the doctor thinking it is just a bug and aren't recorded, who knows how low the fatality rate is
Zico

Post by Zico »

I've overrated my concern for the event. :nod:
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Anonymous. wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

I'm not fearful. I'm quite confident this will get worse
Apologies, yes. It is going to get much worse.
Zico

Post by Zico »

Dark wrote:Still finding it difficult to get hyped about the whole tbf.

Yes it is said to have a 2-3% fatality rate, but then something like 80% of people just experience moderate illness and then get on with it.

So if you take into account people just not bothering to go to the doctor thinking it is just a bug and aren't recorded, who knows how low the fatality rate is

There are different strains now, with different fatality rates.

The Italian strain has a different expectation.

..along the enchanted way
Dark

Post by Dark »

Zico wrote:

Different strains of what?

The normal flu? There always has been.

The new coronavirus?

COVID-19? That is the strain of a coronavirus
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

It could get worse.

A pet dog in HK has tested "weak positive" for coronavirus.
The owner was infected so the pet may just have been contaminated rather than actually have it but I imagine it could still pass it on to other people.
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

Dark wrote:
Zico wrote:

The new coronavirus?

Initial reports suggested that South East Asians (along with men) are more susceptible.
The higher incidence/severity among men has been confirmed, but I've not heard any more about differences in susceptibility between races.
It's possible this is why fatality rates appear lower in the west, but then there are plenty of other possible reasons including mismeasurement in China, atmospheric pollution,
Shortage of medical help.
A different strain also seems possible.
Dark

Post by Dark »

merlin the happy pig wrote:
Dark wrote:
Zico wrote:

The new coronavirus?

Initial reports suggested that South East Asians (along with men) are more susceptible.
The higher incidence/severity among men has been confirmed, but I've not heard any more about differences in susceptibility between races.
It's possible this is why fatality rates appear lower in the west, but then there are plenty of other possible reasons including mismeasurement in China, atmospheric pollution,
More men than women have died, but it is fairly dodgy stats. We don't know how much more dudes in these countries hangout sneezing on each other more than chicks.

With regard to races, I call utter bollocks. It is probably more the climate.

Unless you have proof a different strain is not only not possible it is a bit silly to say there can be.

It is a new thing. It can maybe morph, but it has been to soon.

The whole thing is getting a bit overkill
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Meanwhile the extremely contagious moronavirus is spreading rapidly. Centre of infection, your local supermarket.
comets

Post by comets »

whats shocking is that there are only 3 cases in india...should have exploded to 30k there un a week...how the hell is it just 3..
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Dark wrote:
Dark wrote:
Zico wrote:

The new coronavirus?

More men than women have died, but it is fairly dodgy stats. We don't know how much more dudes in these countries hangout sneezing on each other more than chicks.

Unless you have proof a different strain is not only not possible it is a bit silly to say there can be.

:roll:
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Anonymous. wrote:
Dark wrote:
Dark wrote:
Zico wrote:

The new coronavirus?

:roll:
It's TMAB. He's ok, but a bear of very little brain.
Calculus

Post by Calculus »

merlin the happy pig wrote: Initial reports suggested that South East Asians are more susceptible.

China is not in South East Asia.
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

Calculus wrote:
merlin the happy pig wrote: Initial reports suggested that South East Asians are more susceptible.

China is not in South East Asia.
Sorry meant East Asian.
Brain fart, no excuse.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

obelixtim wrote:Meanwhile the extremely contagious moronavirus is spreading rapidly. Centre of infection, your local supermarket.
:thumbup: Completely agree. Just fuels the panic.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Looks like South Korea is getting battered. Comparatively few deaths or critical condition though, are we seeing true stats from them or over diagnosis?
Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

Seen a graph detailing the fatality rates for across different age groups. For children under 9 it's 0. For those 10-39 it's .29%. In the 40-59 it jumps to a little over 2.4%, 60-69 it's in the 6% range and for those in the 70+ over 14.6%.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

1 new case in Japan: a 70-year-old male in Sendai City (Tohoku region) who, having tested negative to the virus, got off the Diamond Princess cruise ship on Feb. 20. On Feb. 28, however, he complained of low-grade fever and sore throat. On Feb. 29, he tested positive to Covid-19. He is in mild condition
1 in Washington State: a 18-year-old student from Jackson High School in Mill Creek with no travel history to an outbreak area who on Feb. 24 had body aches, chills and a headache. After feeling better, he returned to school, before test results came out on Feb. 28. The school will be closed for a few days of deep disinfecting.
I don't see how we stop this thing with cases like this. There has to thousands if not hundreds of thousands carriers with mild symptoms out there. The Washington one is worrying, similar to the Italian one (as far as I've heard they don't know how patient 'zero' got it there?).
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Working Class Rugger wrote:

Seen a graph detailing the fatality rates for across different age groups. For children under 9 it's 0. For those 10-39 it's .29%. In the 40-59 it jumps to a little over 2.4%, 60-69 it's in the 6% range and for those in the 70+ over 14.6%.
Got a link for that or remember where you saw it?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Uncle Fester wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:

Got a link for that or remember where you saw it?
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

This has way more information than you need, bit addictive to keep going through it.