Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by eldanielfire »

c69 wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:Are the US at 25 thousand cases already?

They'll overtake Italy in no time
Their very expensive health care model and lack of social infra structure will be the death of the Country.
I fear for their ability to cope. Their fragile divided society will be very likely to ignite and combust like no other in the Western World IMHO.
It's madness. If anything politically comes from this tragedy is the psoitives of controlling borders and the importance of well funded universal healthcare.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:$35k for treatment in US

https://time.com/5806312/coronavirus-treatment-cost/

SCary reading for Americans.
A new analysis from the Kaiser Family Foundation estimates that the average cost of COVID-19 treatment for someone with employer insurance—and without complications—would be about $9,763. Someone whose treatment has complications may see bills about double that: $20,292. (The researchers came up with those numbers by examining average costs of hospital admissions for people with pneumonia.)
Your emphasis and understanding of what you're reading is completely wrong. That's the total cost for insurers and patients combined, not the patient paid amount also known as the deductible in this case.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:Read the responses to someone who didn't have health insurance.

https://twitter.com/abbyvesoulis/status ... 5739018253

If I had to put money on a Western Civilisation country collapsing it would scarily have to America.
If it takes off there that could mean a lot of bankrupt people.

I could see insurance companies doing anything to weasel out of paying for people who are covered too, they would stand to lose millions otherwise.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

UK getting their plan together now for the most vulnerable - good move, we should seek to copy that part as this could go on for 4months or longer for them
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Chinese government now trying to claim Italy had the virus back in November. :roll:
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

iarmhiman wrote:
backrow wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
backrow wrote:
EverReady wrote:We'll feel sorry for you in about 11 days
How far is Ireland behind Italy then?
We've projected 15,000 cases by the end of this month in Ireland

Currently 785 cases
So how far is Ireland behind Italy then ?
Don't know. We'll know when that massive exponential jump happens
Depends on your metrics. If you use deaths, then we are on 3. They were on that on 23rd Feb - so 28 days behind us
If you go by cases (which I think would be better) we're about 23 days behind. That gap is widening - a week ago it was 21 days, two weeks ago it was 17 days
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Mr Mike wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:The Great Boomer Flu Panic of 2020.
My daughter referred to COVID 19 as the “Boomer Remover” on Friday then had a look of horror on her face and quickly added “but not Nana, she’s lovely!”

I don't think these youngsters give a fudge because they have been told it won't affect them.

I wonder if they know that they are going to pay to care for all of the people with lifelong disabilities caused as a result of this bloody virus
Varsity Way

Post by Varsity Way »

eldanielfire wrote:
I like haggis wrote:Snowdon packed, London packed, parks and supermarkets packed.

The behavioural modellers strike again!
I was about to post Richmond about as crowded as I've ever seen. All the reports are so are the other parks.

https://twitter.com/Urban_Pictures/stat ... 1140187137

I think the country needs to lockdown seriously now. Behavioural modellers should be considered for input, but not the basis of the plan. Once again showing what a useless pack social scientists are :x

Reminds me of this classic

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k_srh8bpYsM
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

eldanielfire wrote:Chinese government now trying to claim Italy had the virus back in November. :roll:
China is thought to have had its first case in the beginning November, so not out of the question it had got to Italy by the end of November.
Petej

Post by Petej »

Showing the danger of useless right wing populists. Totally unfit to be PM.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Duff Paddy wrote:UK getting their plan together now for the most vulnerable - good move, we should seek to copy that part as this could go on for 4months or longer for them
Agreed, good stuff.

What is crap at these daily news conferences is allowing each journalist to ask 3 or 4 different questions in a block while everyone patiently waits. Just ask 1, let the PM answer and pass the microphone to someone else.
Last edited by Sandstorm on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Trump is going to lose this election . I'm certain of that.

Bidon will bring up Obamacare for certain.

Question is will Trump delay the election?
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

eldanielfire wrote:Chinese government now trying to claim Italy had the virus back in November. :roll:
Sorry, I called Beijing early this morning.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

https://twitter.com/alimkheraj/status/1 ... 11457?s=21

My sister lives beside this park. Absolute lunatics.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

CM11 wrote:
message #2527204 wrote: Closing the schools later made no difference to the epidemic.
Do you have a time machine?

If so, could you use it to go back and warn the Chinese instead of forward to prove a point on the internet? Thanks.
It was a question. That's why it had a question mark.
The original comment, which you've removed, was that the South weren't 7 days ahead of NI and saying so iwas just an argument for not closing the schools. My question was whether it made any difference, in that case.
It will be important after all this, when questions of timings by respective governments around the world will be weaponised.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

iarmhiman wrote:Trump is going to lose this election . I'm certain of that.

Blame the Chinese and the EU - job done.
kiap

Post by kiap »

goeagles wrote:Your emphasis and understanding of what you're reading is completely wrong. That's the total cost for insurers and patients combined, not the patient paid amount also known as the deductible in this case.
What is the patient paid cost for insured patients?

And for uninsured patients ... are they refused treatment and sent back into the community?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Frodder wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:Trump is going to lose this election . I'm certain of that.

Blame the Chinese and the EU - job done.
There will be too many deaths
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

iarmhiman wrote:Are the US at 25 thousand cases already?

They'll overtake Italy in no time
Average daily increase in last 6 days is 1.38 for US and 1.14 for Italy. That means a net growth rate of 24%. 24% growth has a doubling time of 3.2 days and US currently has ~1/2 the cases of Italy. On that basis you'd expect them overtake Italy in 3-4 days and China in a similar timeframe

Add in:
- a very unhealthy population in terms of the known risk factors
- health insurance and health costs generally
- gun issue (and the response to the virus so far - viz the massive increase in gun buying)

and the whole thing is a tinderbox. Very scary.....
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Nolanator wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Harveys wrote:Australian numbers are much higher than reported.

A friend of mine who was in contact with a confirmed case at work and has symptoms + underlying medical was advised she doesn’t fall under testing criteria.

“You probably got it but you don’t fall under testing criteria, put this mask on, go hone for 14 days & seek medical assistance if your condition worsens”
They're almost all going to be higher than reported. Many countries are only testing hospitalised patients right now, because that's all the tests they have. Diagnosis is more important for those already in critical condition, than those that may not have it, and aren't.

Hospital for us has 6 ICU beds. Population of 150k, and I'd be very surprised if a lot of people weren't coming over to be in holiday homes.

Primary industry here is tourism and care. The age skew here is heavily weighted to the elderly. If it hits us hard there's going to be a lot of death. People in critical enough condition to be moved to other hospitals would probably need to be air lifted, so I suspect they'll simply come under the "give the bed to someone else" condition.
You still IoW?
Yes, apparently they've got a few more ventilators here now, in preparation.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

Petej wrote:Showing the danger of useless right wing populists. Totally unfit to be PM.
53% approval rating
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

We've had drops in cases before, but UK down to 13% increase is something to be pleased about. Lets hope it stays there and doesn't bounce back (and then goes lower!).

USA is going to overtake Italy by the end of the week. Maybe not in deaths, they could be coming.
Last edited by Raggs on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Boris repeatedly says he is being "guided by the science", given how visibly deferential he is to the experts he has appeared with, it's believable enough. I'm not sure where "right-wing populist" comes in as part of the approach.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

message #2527204 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
message #2527204 wrote: Closing the schools later made no difference to the epidemic.
Do you have a time machine?

If so, could you use it to go back and warn the Chinese instead of forward to prove a point on the internet? Thanks.
It was a question. That's why it had a question mark.
The original comment, which you've removed, was that the South weren't 7 days ahead of NI and saying so iwas just an argument for not closing the schools. My question was whether it made any difference, in that case.
It will be important after all this, when questions of timings by respective governments around the world will be weaponised.
And my point was that there is no past tense in this yet. We won't know the differing effects for another few weeks.
Petej

Post by Petej »

Glaston wrote:
Petej wrote:Showing the danger of useless right wing populists. Totally unfit to be PM.
53% approval rating
No opposition and a very friendly cosy media. He badly needs to enforce social distancing measures. The current approach isn't working. We are going to be Italy in two weeks time with 800 dead daily.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

kiap wrote:
goeagles wrote:Your emphasis and understanding of what you're reading is completely wrong. That's the total cost for insurers and patients combined, not the patient paid amount also known as the deductible in this case.

And for uninsured patients ... are they refused treatment and sent back into the community?
Depends on your plan, but according to this link it would be between $1300 and $1465. To the second question, no, they're given treatment like anyone else and billed afterwards.
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

goeagles wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:$35k for treatment in US

https://time.com/5806312/coronavirus-treatment-cost/

SCary reading for Americans.
A new analysis from the Kaiser Family Foundation estimates that the average cost of COVID-19 treatment for someone with employer insurance—and without complications—would be about $9,763. Someone whose treatment has complications may see bills about double that: $20,292. (The researchers came up with those numbers by examining average costs of hospital admissions for people with pneumonia.)
Your emphasis and understanding of what you're reading is completely wrong. That's the total cost for insurers and patients combined, not the patient paid amount also known as the deductible in this case.
I get that, so many Americans don't have any cover, or have plans that have large contributions required. It was saying something like 20% is the average for employer schemes so potentially $4,000 combined with scarcity and haves and have nots. I could be a single mum with 11 kids by 11 different dads with extensive involvement of social services and never worked and I'd still get the same treatment from the NHS as if I was a self made millionaire or Midwife and I'd walk out with the same bill. It might seem reasonable and proportionate to you but I find it terrifying even if I could afford the $4k. And assuming when services get stretched will the prices stay the same.
message #2527204

goeagles wrote:
kiap wrote:

Depends on your plan, but according to this link it would be between $1300 and $1465. To the second question, no, they're given treatment like anyone else and billed afterwards.
What happens if you can't pay? Unemployed due to the virus for example?
The NHS doctor said that it will take 6 months to a year of physio for people to be back on their feet if they get the viral pneumonia.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Merkel put into quarantine.

She is high risk. She is already not well
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

iarmhiman wrote:Merkel put into quarantine.

Fingers crossed she didn't catch it from the doctor.
easyray

Post by easyray »

plums being plums{
A man has appeared in court charged with making fake kits which claimed to treat Covid-19.

Frank Ludlow, 59, was arrested in a post office near his home in West Sussex on Friday, the City of London Police said.

He was arrested by the force's Intellectual Property Crime Unit after it was contacted by US counterparts.

The kits allegedly contained harmful chemicals which people were being told to use to rinse their mouths with.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Petej wrote:
Glaston wrote:
53% approval rating
No opposition and a very friendly cosy media. He badly needs to enforce social distancing measures. The current approach isn't working. We are going to be Italy in two weeks time with 800 dead daily.
Your comments about lack of social distancing measures makes no sense.

He's literally flanked by medical experts the whole time and the key note was this:

"On balance keeping things open greatly outweighs total shutdown." (On the preface of keeping distance and not gathering etc etc)

He wasn't the only one to say this. Most of the head experts think that's the correct course to take.
Petej

Post by Petej »

Total deaths in Italy today 651 which is down from yesterday. And a lower raise in confirmed cases percentage wise.
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

Rugby2023 wrote:

Fingers crossed she didn't catch it from the doctor.
There were pics of her in the press yesterday or today. Probably the daily mail as they were pointing out the bottles of wine she had in her trolley as she queued at the supermarket
Petej

Post by Petej »

Wendigo7 wrote:
Petej wrote:
Glaston wrote:
53% approval rating
Your comments about lack of social distancing measures makes no sense.

He's literally flanked by medical experts the whole time and the key note was this:

"On balance keeping things open greatly outweighs total shutdown." (On the preface of keeping distance and not gathering etc etc)

He wasn't the only one to say this. Most of the head experts think that's the correct course to take.
The measures are correct but he needs to enforce them. How much of the population is obeying them?
AlanBengio

Post by AlanBengio »

YOYO wrote:AlanBengio according to this article the ‘mistakenly’ confiscated masks were meant for Chinese expats living in Italy.

https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-03-22 ... 32318.html
... donation from the Red Cross of Qingtian City in China's Zhejiang province intended for Chinese expatriates living in Italy.
Sources at the Red Cross familiar with the matter told Caixin that the batch of 101,600 donations were transported by rail to the Czech Republic and were then going to be transported onto Italy, direct flights between China and Italy had all been cancelled. The donated masks were being temporarily stored at the Czech warehouse when they were confiscated, but the Czech government misunderstood the donation thinking it was from local manufacturers.
There may be then something not clear about this story, as other posters did point out.
Part of the story currently told is that these masks will stay in Czech Republic, whereas China will sent new ones in Italy
message #2527204

easyray wrote:plums being plums{
A man has appeared in court charged with making fake kits which claimed to treat Covid-19.

Frank Ludlow, 59, was arrested in a post office near his home in West Sussex on Friday, the City of London Police said.

He was arrested by the force's Intellectual Property Crime Unit after it was contacted by US counterparts.

The kits allegedly contained harmful chemicals which people were being told to use to rinse their mouths with.
Does that mean fake fake kits, and the real fake kits are copyrighted?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

No need to worry, she went into quarantine prepared:

backrow

Post by backrow »

Petej wrote:Total deaths in Italy today 651 which is down from yesterday. And a lower raise in confirmed cases percentage wise.
:thumbup:

Hope this trend increases now, Italy has taken a shoeing
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Petej wrote:Total deaths in Italy today 651 which is down from yesterday. And a lower raise in confirmed cases percentage wise.
:thumbup: