Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
Raggs

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Raggs »

Leinsterman wrote:I wonder how it cleans the room of viral particles. That would make it cleaner than Intel's cleanrooms, wouldn't it?
Plenty of filters can filter out viruses. They're relatively large on a molecular level.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

A5D5E5 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Zico wrote:It's times like this you wish your political representatives had a qualification relevant to the problem at hand.
Serious question - why?
Able to understand the issues easier and quicker including how the hospital system works and how easily it is to overwhelm it. Talking about ventilators etc is just words to most politicians.

There's a rumour that Varadkar got pressurised to pull the trigger earlier than expected by his partner who'd been contacted by an Italian colleague. I know that's not the science advisor stuff some want but this thing is unprecedented and erring on the side of caution made sense. Even then we could and probably should have gone earlier.
I hadn't realised this was another "Ireland is great, the UK is shit" post. More fool me for replying.

But at the risk of continuing the pointless discussion, you are arguing for a technocracy, not a democracy. Though given Dr Leo lost an election several weeks ago, I'd question whether you have one anyway.
Everything is ‘Ireland great, Brits bad’. View posts through that prism you won’t go far wrong.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Raggs wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:I wonder how it cleans the room of viral particles. That would make it cleaner than Intel's cleanrooms, wouldn't it?
Plenty of filters can filter out viruses. They're relatively large on a molecular level.

Fair enough, sounds very promising if they can produce them quickly then. Sounds like it would help make it safer for the healthcare workers too which is vitally important.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

A5D5E5 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Zico wrote:It's times like this you wish your political representatives had a qualification relevant to the problem at hand.
Serious question - why?
Able to understand the issues easier and quicker including how the hospital system works and how easily it is to overwhelm it. Talking about ventilators etc is just words to most politicians.

There's a rumour that Varadkar got pressurised to pull the trigger earlier than expected by his partner who'd been contacted by an Italian colleague. I know that's not the science advisor stuff some want but this thing is unprecedented and erring on the side of caution made sense. Even then we could and probably should have gone earlier.
I hadn't realised this was another "Ireland is great, the UK is shit" post. More fool me for replying.

But at the risk of continuing the pointless discussion, you are arguing for a technocracy, not a democracy. Though given Dr Leo lost an election several weeks ago, I'd question whether you have one anyway.
I had a little dig at bimbo, that was all.

And yes, I would probably favour technocracy.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

dargotronV.1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:So tomorrow will be my final day of being stuck in the house, having spent the last 6 days in bed with some viral thingy, making me short of breath and constantly tired. My wife came down with it, showing slightly different symptoms, a cough and mild fever, 5 days prior. She was out for a walk a couple days back having felt better (her 7 days was up), then ended up slightly worse than before and back in bed. She's OK again now, think she slightly overdid it and didn't drink near enough water.

We're in our mid 30s BTW, no underlying health conditions. Glad I didn't go into work on Monday a week ago when I was feeling fine!
14 days minimum isolation from start of symptoms is what's recommended. I think even the UK has moved to that recently?
Is it? Do you have still link cos I understood 7 from the start of your symptoms, 14 at that point for the household with 7 then should you get it within that 14. Only exiting if you're symptom free.
Looks like you're still saying 7 days. 14 days here and elsewhere.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

message #2527204 wrote:[quote=
No-one has it under control. Hopefully enough that in the next two weeks the nhs can handle what's going to be thrown at them, that people aren't made homeless or starve, and the elderly and vulnerable can be helped to stay indoors by delivering food to their doors. Also hopefully enough has been done so that there will be businesses and employment once this finishes.
South Korea have it under control. They're managing to keep society functioning while slowing the spread.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

CM11 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
CM11 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

It’s far more important your leaders listen to the advisors acros multiple science disciplines.
Just as long as they only listen to their own advisors and not the advice from a greater pool of experts including those who've gone through it already?

That’s what the experts are for not the politicians.
So you're happy with the approach to date? You think the UK has it under control?

I don’t think “control” is the issue. I also think they may have deviated from the course due to media and public pressure “to do something “

However it’s a crap old situation and they’ve been impressive .
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

CM11 wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:So tomorrow will be my final day of being stuck in the house, having spent the last 6 days in bed with some viral thingy, making me short of breath and constantly tired. My wife came down with it, showing slightly different symptoms, a cough and mild fever, 5 days prior. She was out for a walk a couple days back having felt better (her 7 days was up), then ended up slightly worse than before and back in bed. She's OK again now, think she slightly overdid it and didn't drink near enough water.

We're in our mid 30s BTW, no underlying health conditions. Glad I didn't go into work on Monday a week ago when I was feeling fine!
14 days minimum isolation from start of symptoms is what's recommended. I think even the UK has moved to that recently?
Is it? Do you have still link cos I understood 7 from the start of your symptoms, 14 at that point for the household with 7 then should you get it within that 14. Only exiting if you're symptom free.
Looks like you're still saying 7 days. 14 days here and elsewhere.
This is the current NHS advice in Scotland

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-an ... ral-advice
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

87 new registered deaths in the UK today :((
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

And yes, I would probably favour technocracy.

Which makes you a monster .
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

CM11 wrote:
No-one has it under control. Hopefully enough that in the next two weeks the nhs can handle what's going to be thrown at them, that people aren't made homeless or starve, and the elderly and vulnerable can be helped to stay indoors by delivering food to their doors. Also hopefully enough has been done so that there will be businesses and employment once this finishes.
South Korea have it under control. They're managing to keep society functioning while slowing the spread.
They're chasing their arses.
We'll all be in a better position once the antibody test is widespread.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

You’re going to get a few globus style fantasists taking advantage of the desperation.
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

87 today :(
CM11

Post by CM11 »

DragsterDriver wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Serious question - why?

Everything is ‘Ireland great, Brits bad’. View posts through that prism you won’t go far wrong.
Again, I had a little dig at bimbo. But if you want the truth, I am very glad we didn't take the UK approach of no contact tracing at all and letting the virus spread out of control. Even then I have no idea if we've done enough. We won't know until next week at the earliest and that will only be stage one. No western country including Ireland prepared their population enough for this. We should have been getting daily social/physical distancing messages since January so that we knew what it meant when the virus arrived instead of mixed messages and garbled approaches across Europe. As AlanBengio said, every country thought 'it won't happen to us that badly'.
Last edited by CM11 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

16 :blush:
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

Sorry if posted already - this app developed by Kings College London to monitor all UK citizens, healthy or not, to help try build a picture of hot spots, how the illness spreads and who it mostly affects. Requires daily input to update your situation.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Duff Paddy wrote:
You’re going to get a few globus style fantasists taking advantage of the desperation.
Sorry, I forgot, UK, must be wrong, broken or lying if it's potentially something positive.

There are filters that can filter out viruses.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

18...I'm a natural apparently.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

message #2527204 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
They're chasing their arses.
We'll all be in a better position once the antibody test is widespread.
What do you mean 'they're chasing their arses'?

Their total death toll to date is 120 having hit the UK's current diagnosed case total 10 days ago.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

The Sun God wrote:
14. I thing a more hands-on approach is needed and I for one am willing to be a tester.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Raggs wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Sorry, I forgot, UK, must be wrong, broken or lying if it's potentially something positive.

It’s nothing to do with the UK or Ireland so stop with the stupid nationalism. It may be a great invention but we can’t tell from that article. I’d be sceptical of any medical device rushed through so quickly. If it works and is safe then brilliant but usually there is so much red tape to get through I don’t know how this has been approved for use in humans in less than 1 week.
Petej

Post by Petej »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Serious question - why?

I think the last decade has been all about the battle between democracy and technocracy. Who could have imagined the technocrats would pull this final joker out of the pack. I suggest they're going to need to be very careful how they tread once this is over.
I would argue the main battle has been between oligarchy and technocracy over democracy and oligarchy has been winning.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

dargotronV.1 wrote:Sorry if posted already - this app developed by Kings College London to monitor all UK citizens, healthy or not, to help try build a picture of hot spots, how the illness spreads and who it mostly affects. Requires daily input to update your situation.

Hello China

Got a what’s app today asking everyone to keep a daily diary of where they go and who they meet to facilitate contact tracing, then it occurred to me that google and Facebook already have this information
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

feckwanker wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
14. I thing a more hands-on approach is needed and I for one am willing to be a tester.
18. :smug:
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

It’s nothing to do with the UK or Ireland so stop with the stupid nationalism. It may be a great invention but we can’t tell from that article. I’d be sceptical of any medical device rushed through so quickly. If it works and is safe then brilliant but usually there is so much red tape to get through I don’t know how this has been approved for use in humans in less than 1 week.
You literally called it fantasist. Maybe the whole ventilator isn't perfect, but you're explicitly replying to someone referring only to the viral filtering. Your instant response was a negative one, with no time spent on how possible it was.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:Sorry if posted already - this app developed by Kings College London to monitor all UK citizens, healthy or not, to help try build a picture of hot spots, how the illness spreads and who it mostly affects. Requires daily input to update your situation.

Hello China

Got a what’s app today asking everyone to keep a daily diary of where they go and who they meet to facilitate contact tracing, then it occurred to me that google and Facebook already have this information
Yep. China and South Korea have this type of app. So did the western world after H1N1 but we all thought it was an invasion of privacy so it was shelved. Really should be rolling it out in Europe.
message #2527204

Duff Paddy wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Needs must, I guess
message #2527204

CM11 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Hello China

Yep. China and South Korea have this type of app. So did the western world after H1N1 but we all thought it was an invasion of privacy so it was shelved. Really should be rolling it out in Europe.
It wants personal data to share with charities and yanks. I'm out.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Raggs wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

You literally called it fantasist. Maybe the whole ventilator isn't perfect, but you're explicitly replying to someone referring only to the viral filtering. Your instant response was a negative one, with no time spent on how possible it was.
Duff, in the current environment I’m fairly sure that previous standards have gone out the window and that it’s perfectly reasonable for shortcuts in procedures to be taken. This is effectively war time medicine.
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

19 - I got 14 wrong, I did almost chose right but I second guessed mysef.

:smug:
CM11

Post by CM11 »

message #2527204 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Hello China

What sort of data and why specifically charities and yanks?!

As Duff says, we give all this info to Google and co. as it is.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

feckwanker wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
17 here. Decent.

Too many strip clubs for you TSG.
message #2527204

CM11 wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Hello China

What sort of data and why specifically charities and yanks?!

As Duff says, we give all this info to Google and co. as it is.
Not specifically - nhs and King's college hospital specifically. Personal details, it says. If it's going to charities, that means begging emails, if it's going outside the EU, that could mean anything.
pigaaaa

Post by pigaaaa »

DragsterDriver wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Had to close that very quickly! NSFW!!
No2 are nice boobies
16. Apparently im an optimist
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Raggs wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Okay as I was replying to LM’s post, if you believe someone has made a device in a week that is superior to an intel clean room then fine. For the record I know that is probably not what he is trying to do as it’s probably just a negative pressure filtration unit but I’m just highlighting how ridiculous your argument is.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

message #2527204 wrote: Not specifically - nhs and King's college hospital specifically. Personal details, it says. If it's going to charities, that means begging emails, if it's going outside the EU, that could mean anything.
And what's the worst that can happen compared to the benefit?
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:19 - I got 14 wrong, I did almost chose right but I second guessed mysef.

:smug:
14 is a tricky one. Bad angle IMO

I got 17 right, I thought 7 and 20 were fake too. 7 was a close one but I still think 20 is fake!
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:87 today :(
Happy Birthday Nan. Stay safe.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Lenny wrote:
feckwanker wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
18. :smug:
You guys are superhuman, I got to 3 but now I’m exhausted and I need to replenish my fluids.