Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
BlackMac

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by BlackMac »

DragsterDriver wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
backrow wrote:Just kind of proves that people fundamentally are ‘I’m all right jack’ merchants at heart , and that countries should plan accordingly.

The £50k or whatever that is spent each year on NYE fireworks, parades, guards for Prince Harry etc is all starting to look a bit silly when you realise there are not enough masks, smocks, hand gel etc to go around.

Not the biggest fan of Dyson but at least he is doing something,rather than putting up gym gear prices by 50% or crying that his airline might go bust.
Surely the government should stockpile a bunch of Masks, gel, ventilators (they will be plenty spare after this pandemic) and other PPE for an emergency in future? We have a cold/flu epidemic each year anyway and these global diseases aren't exactly uncommon now, every few years, you will eventually need them so have reserves years in advance for when the next one arrises.
“Tories wasted taxpayer money stockpiling equipment in warehouses”
It's the same up here every 10 years when we have a really bad winter. Outrage that they don't keep dozens of extra snow ploughs, just in case.
backrow

Post by backrow »

eldanielfire wrote:
backrow wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
backrow wrote:Just kind of proves that people fundamentally are ‘I’m all right jack’ merchants at heart , and that countries should plan accordingly.

The £50k or whatever that is spent each year on NYE fireworks, parades, guards for Prince Harry etc is all starting to look a bit silly when you realise there are not enough masks, smocks, hand gel etc to go around.

Not the biggest fan of Dyson but at least he is doing something,rather than putting up gym gear prices by 50% or crying that his airline might go bust.
Surely the government should stockpile a bunch of Masks, gel, ventilators (they will be plenty spare after this pandemic) and other PPE for an emergency in future? We have a cold/flu epidemic each year anyway and these global diseases aren't exactly uncommon now, every few years, you will eventually need them so have reserves years in advance for when the next one arrises.
why should it fall solely to the government (and therefore the taxpayer ultimately) to organise ? Firms could easily have their own supplies of these, as could homes. In the near future a box of PPE could be as common in a house as a bottle of bleach and some sponges under the sink.

Warehouse space, and space in general, is also extremely short thanks to Brexit (firms and everyone stockpiling just in case), actual finite limits on how many warehouses there are, opportunity cost & inventory cost...

nobody, whether its governments, firms or individuals, want to clog up their space & cash on any 'Just in case' items, thanks to beancounters getting involved.
Well it's harder for the private sector having mass space, which they pay rent/tax on and the government who could grab a warehouse or 3 and fill them up.

The reason why I say government is it is obvious when a huge pandemic of this sort comes it requires government support, we are seeing this across the whole world. It could also provide quick resources when hospitals have regional health issues and need extras. It's going to come out of government money anyway, just spend it in advance and have a faster response system, which might in turn cause less damage to the economy like the current slower responses are having now.
no, they cannot - thanks to Brexit and large firms flexing their muscles, warehousing space just isn't there right now or even 2 months ago.
what the govt CAN do is buy something derelict in Merthyr Tydfill of someplace, build a despoitory of its own, and make it 'national Gloves depositary' or something. Warehouses usually exist only where there is demand and on good transport links, stuff for emergencies could be kept anywhere really.
backrow

Post by backrow »

eugenefraxby wrote:
backrow wrote:sadly that map is useless if you are colour blind, as I am
At last; clinical proof on the wanking rumour
to be really effective Burn at me, you should have written that in light red on a light green background :frown:
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

DragsterDriver wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:Lots of interest over what assistance there will be for the self-employed this morning.

Can the self-employed here tell me - why do you not have limited companies?
I do but most construction subbies don’t. Cheaper accounting bills, can’t manage money and live on low wage with dividend, much simpler.
And also what was advised for them by accountants and hmrc
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Ali's Choice wrote:Does Australia have the most relaxed living conditions in the Western World? Shops and retailers still open. Schools and kindergartens still open. Shopping Centres and bottle shops all obviously open. I went and got a hair cut today.[
You lucky bastard!
Bet you couldn't find any bog roll, though.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

DragsterDriver wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

“Tories wasted taxpayer money stockpiling equipment in warehouses”
Followed by: " Incompetent government issue out of date PPE to our brave healthworkers".
Last edited by camroc1 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

backrow wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
backrow wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

why should it fall solely to the government (and therefore the taxpayer ultimately) to organise ? Firms could easily have their own supplies of these, as could homes. In the near future a box of PPE could be as common in a house as a bottle of bleach and some sponges under the sink.

Warehouse space, and space in general, is also extremely short thanks to Brexit (firms and everyone stockpiling just in case), actual finite limits on how many warehouses there are, opportunity cost & inventory cost...

nobody, whether its governments, firms or individuals, want to clog up their space & cash on any 'Just in case' items, thanks to beancounters getting involved.
Well it's harder for the private sector having mass space, which they pay rent/tax on and the government who could grab a warehouse or 3 and fill them up.

The reason why I say government is it is obvious when a huge pandemic of this sort comes it requires government support, we are seeing this across the whole world. It could also provide quick resources when hospitals have regional health issues and need extras. It's going to come out of government money anyway, just spend it in advance and have a faster response system, which might in turn cause less damage to the economy like the current slower responses are having now.
no, they cannot - thanks to Brexit and large firms flexing their muscles, warehousing space just isn't there right now or even 2 months ago.
what the govt CAN do is buy something derelict in Merthyr Tydfill of someplace, build a despoitory of its own, and make it 'national Gloves depositary' or something. Warehouses usually exist only where there is demand and on good transport links, stuff for emergencies could be kept anywhere really.
That's exactly the sort of action I was proposing.
Saint

Post by Saint »

backrow wrote:
frillage wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:A lot of this stuff also has use by dates
What length dates? Would good stock rotation on back up stocks not be enough?
my shortest length stuff is anesthetics, 12 month shelf life, but with 6 month lead time. I have zero idea on the rest of the industry though.
A lot depends on the quality of storage. N95 masks for instance have rubber seals and straps - so if they're exposed to heating/cooling cycles (for instance in an unregulated warehouse) then the rubber will degrade and they will stop being N95 rated. They'll still be at least partially effective, as the filter components are inactive but that complete seal won't exist anymore.
dantedelew

Post by dantedelew »

Sounds like there may some doubt over the firmness of this Dyson order, https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1243141944492122117
Dyson may have jumped gun on its announcement of supplying thousands of ventilators to NHS. PM's official spokesman says Dyson's new machine has not had approval from Medical and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, and no government money will go to Dyson unless...
and until it gets approval. I read into that Dyson was possibly trying to put pressure on government to give approval by disclosing its ventilator plans yesterday. But a minister to whom I've just spoken tells me it's by no means certain Dyson will get approval
Saint

Post by Saint »

Sandstorm wrote:
Saint wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:UK Government started "hand-washing campaign" 3 weeks ago, some large firms in London (certain law firms for example) all went home two weeks ago.

I reckon the rest made the decision to start abandoning ship last Wednesday (our large business park was empty at 5pm with people dragging screens/chairs to their cars all day) and by Friday nationwide it was done.
Not even close to being done unfortunately. We're still maxed out setting up new WFH capability for loads of customers

I think that's a big issue. Many office workers are desperate to WFH and keep their wages, but they don't have the kit yet. We have customers using our onsite engineers to rebuild ancient end-of-life laptops and distribute to users to make up the slack.

New laptops are sold out across much of Europe, especially with kids having to do their studies online now.
Tell me about we. The number of internal emails we get about "just in stock: 2,000 HP/Dell/Lenovo" before being followed up with "All gone now" is nuts. There's some very large organisations ignoring their usual procurement sign-off rules at the moment
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

OptimisticJock wrote:
frillage wrote:
Pass. Nah mate, I can count on one hand how many times I've had to use aprons and masks in 6 years, never worn the ffp3 mask. Might be slightly different in hospitals but I can't see them getting through the amount the are now normally. Alco gel would be used tbf.
Surely masks and aprons have an indefinite shelf life? Can just produce a pile of them and then stockpile them, with the ability to switch a large part of the country's manufacturing base over the replenishing them if/when shit like this strikes again. No?

Edit, I'm late to the party.
Double

Post by Double »

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/The ... -think/amp

Interesting spectator article which touches on the reasons behind the different mortality rates reported in different countries.
AlanBengio

Post by AlanBengio »

I want to share you a short thought about one peculiar aspect it is talked about in Italy, after one month of struggle (ie not in mainstream news - but in hospital organizations. I have direct news because of my wife) - with a direct question for C69.
It is related to medics and nurses involved into this fight against Coronavirus, which are under severe stress.
It is reported that the response to their duty had been phenomenal (very few cases of “desertion” - ie through calling sick, etc). Many caught Coronavirus themselves.
There is currently going on a dedicated set up of structures/team inside hospital to help them fight the PTS disorder they are likely to experience in the near future (some of them are already experiencing it; at least one suicide of a medic was related to that, as far as I understood).
C69 - does this is talked about over there as well?
backrow

Post by backrow »

Saint wrote:
backrow wrote:
frillage wrote:
my shortest length stuff is anesthetics, 12 month shelf life, but with 6 month lead time. I have zero idea on the rest of the industry though.
A lot depends on the quality of storage. N95 masks for instance have rubber seals and straps - so if they're exposed to heating/cooling cycles (for instance in an unregulated warehouse) then the rubber will degrade and they will stop being N95 rated. They'll still be at least partially effective, as the filter components are inactive but that complete seal won't exist anymore.
this sort of tech knowledge far exceeds mine, which is zero :thumbup:
backrow

Post by backrow »

eldanielfire wrote:
no probs - its just semantics then over the 'grabbing a warehouse' thing.
glad you not like that dickhead who had a rant at me about something that wasn't even what I wrote the other day :thumbup:
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

The failure to learn from others has cost trillions.

https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-03-23 ... 32413.html
But South Korea showed there is another way to effectively bring the disease under control. Businesses across the country have largely carried on, and no city was locked down. With falling numbers of new cases, life in South Korea seems to be on track to returning to normality.

More importantly, South Korea has one of the world’s lowest fatality rates from Covid-19 at just 1%, compared with the 3.4% global fatality rate estimated by the World Health Organization in early March.

Korean officials attribute to the country’s effective control of the outbreak to a strategy called TRUST, for transparency, robust screening and quarantine, unique but universally-applicable testing, strict control and treatment.

South Korea learned the importance of preparedness the hard way in the face of an epidemic after the 2015 outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). A single imported case of MERS set off a chain of transmission that infected 186 and killed 36. Nearly 17,000 people were quarantined, and the government was harshly criticized for its slow response.

As Covid-19 cases emerged in China late last year, South Korea started mobilizing resources for an outbreak. The country tested people for the virus at the fastest pace in the world, enabling early detection of patients, effective isolation and timely treatment to reduce mortality.

Its invention of drive-through test stations, which allow people to take swabs to test for the virus without leaving their cars, is now being copied by countries including Canada, Germany and the U.S.

According to government data, South Korea has the ability to test an average of 12,000 people a day with peak capacity of as many as 20,000 a day. People usually receive test results within six to 24 hours. As of Friday, South Korea tested more than 300,000 of its 51 million people, or more than one of every 200.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

750,000 volunteers for the NHS now :thumbup:

Hopefully Scotland catch up soon.
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

OptimisticJock wrote:750,000 volunteers for the NHS now :thumbup:

Have missed the Scotland angle - is there no scheme to sign up to yet?
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

dargotronV.1 wrote:

Have missed the Scotland angle - is there no scheme to sign up to yet?
Not yet but they're working on it. Not sure why it's not happened.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

backrow wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
glad you not like that dickhead who had a rant at me about something that wasn't even what I wrote the other day :thumbup:
Hang on a second! Don’t we have a warehouse expert on the Bored who can answer all our questions right away?
message #2527204

Surely the rvs is country wide, and doesn't exclude Scotland??
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

message #2527204 wrote:

NHS in Scotland is administered by the Scottish Government.
That may explain a difference in response time - they might not have the communications infrastructure that exists to the south.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

backrow wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
I'll admit I'm light on those details, you clearly knew exactly how that sort of idea would be done. :thumbup:

And I've also had posters rant at me for things I've never said recently. Some posters literally just come onto PR to try and attack or trip posters up they don't agree with rather than engaging in debate in good faith.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

kiwinoz wrote:The failure to learn from others has cost trillions.

https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-03-23 ... 32413.html
But South Korea showed there is another way to effectively bring the disease under control. Businesses across the country have largely carried on, and no city was locked down. With falling numbers of new cases, life in South Korea seems to be on track to returning to normality.

More importantly, South Korea has one of the world’s lowest fatality rates from Covid-19 at just 1%, compared with the 3.4% global fatality rate estimated by the World Health Organization in early March.

Korean officials attribute to the country’s effective control of the outbreak to a strategy called TRUST, for transparency, robust screening and quarantine, unique but universally-applicable testing, strict control and treatment.

South Korea learned the importance of preparedness the hard way in the face of an epidemic after the 2015 outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). A single imported case of MERS set off a chain of transmission that infected 186 and killed 36. Nearly 17,000 people were quarantined, and the government was harshly criticized for its slow response.

As Covid-19 cases emerged in China late last year, South Korea started mobilizing resources for an outbreak. The country tested people for the virus at the fastest pace in the world, enabling early detection of patients, effective isolation and timely treatment to reduce mortality.

Its invention of drive-through test stations, which allow people to take swabs to test for the virus without leaving their cars, is now being copied by countries including Canada, Germany and the U.S.

According to government data, South Korea has the ability to test an average of 12,000 people a day with peak capacity of as many as 20,000 a day. People usually receive test results within six to 24 hours. As of Friday, South Korea tested more than 300,000 of its 51 million people, or more than one of every 200.
I know South Korea did it right, but according to our Science experts the UK couldn't do it because literally dozens and dozens of countries are all trying to buy tests at the same time and production can't be close to supplying them all at the same time quickly.
backrow

Post by backrow »

eldanielfire wrote:
backrow wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
I'll admit I'm light on those details, you clearly knew exactly how that sort of idea would be done. :thumbup:

And I've also had posters rant at me for things I've never said recently. Some posters literally just come onto PR to try and attack or trip posters up they don't agree with rather than engaging in debate in good faith.
sadly a fair proportion of the 'will argue the toss' types are Irish.
of course we have our own british WMD in Bimbo
message #2527204

Yer Man wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:

That may explain a difference in response time - they might not have the communications infrastructure that exists to the south.
Yes. But the scheme is being run by the RVS and I imagine they have taken many Scottish volunteers. Doesn't make sense to set up a competing website/scheme.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

backrow wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
backrow wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

sadly a fair proportion of the 'will argue the toss' types are Irish.
of course we have our own british WMD in Bimbo
Agreed. Though a fair few o the Irish have behaved really great in this topic. It's just a few, taking swipes whenever they can. There are also a few other posters who are relentlessly miserable, and almost literally only post in topics to attack posters.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

AlanBengio wrote:I want to share you a short thought about one peculiar aspect it is talked about in Italy, after one month of struggle (ie not in mainstream news - but in hospital organizations. I have direct news because of my wife) - with a direct question for C69.
It is related to medics and nurses involved into this fight against Coronavirus, which are under severe stress.
It is reported that the response to their duty had been phenomenal (very few cases of “desertion” - ie through calling sick, etc). Many caught Coronavirus themselves.
There is currently going on a dedicated set up of structures/team inside hospital to help them fight the PTS disorder they are likely to experience in the near future (some of them are already experiencing it; at least one suicide of a medic was related to that, as far as I understood).
Yes it is.

Psychiatric services are gearing up for it atmo. My sister is a consultant psychiatrist and initially a lot of her staff were having refresher training on ventilators, but they're now thinking that they'd be much more use in support roles. She's had to self isolate atmo, but is basically writing the trusts procedure/structure for this.
Saint

Post by Saint »

message #2527204 wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:

Yes. But the scheme is being run by the RVS and I imagine they have taken many Scottish volunteers. Doesn't make sense to set up a competing website/scheme.

It says on the website they can only take volunteers from England
message #2527204

Saint wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:

Ah.ok
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

message #2527204 wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:

The top bloke in the nhs here has stated they're trying to do something about setting up a voluntary scheme. I havent looked at the website you've mentioned.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

happyhooker wrote:
AlanBengio wrote:I want to share you a short thought about one peculiar aspect it is talked about in Italy, after one month of struggle (ie not in mainstream news - but in hospital organizations. I have direct news because of my wife) - with a direct question for C69.
Yes it is.

Psychiatric services are gearing up for it atmo. My sister is a consultant psychiatrist and initially a lot of her staff were having refresher training on ventilators, but they're now thinking that they'd be much more use in support roles. She's had to self isolate atmo, but is basically writing the trusts procedure/structure for this.
Our service is extremely poor in dealing with our mental wellbeing I doubt they're putting anything in place for us.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

frillage wrote:
terryfinch wrote:
MrJonno wrote:I know this is a big deal but the media are such idiots in this. I just saw BBC World news tell people who are worried about grocery shopping to contact their GPs. That's a great idea because it is not as if GPs are going to be busy with anything else at the moment. Now, tbf they did then role back and suggest that maybe only people who don't have any support mechanisms should do it. But FFS how irresponsible is that?

The media are being distinctly unhelpful in many respects.
Where should they contact to get help and advice in local area? You realise they mean GP surgery, not call and demand to speak to GP directly.
I know I will get pooh poohed but the local Parish Church will likely be trying to get things in place.

I am not in way shape or form religious but Churches have at times done this sort of stuff over many centuries.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Saint wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:

Are Scots a "high risk group"?
Saint

Post by Saint »

Yer Man wrote:
Saint wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
message #2527204 wrote: Surely the rvs is country wide, and doesn't exclude Scotland??

Are Scots a "high risk group"?
:lol:

I genuinely think that NHS Scotland and NHS Wales haven't got their shit sorted. RVS is country wide, but they take their direction from local NHS Services
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Anyone else here think that the numbers of cases recorded are just misleading? I wouldn't be surprised if, when we get the antibody test, it shows that half the population have already had it. If that is the case, then this disease is not much more deadly than normal flu.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

terryfinch wrote:Anyone else here think that the numbers of cases recorded are just misleading? I wouldn't be surprised if, when we get the antibody test, it shows that half the population have already had it. If that is the case, then this disease is not much more deadly than normal flu.
The Diamond Princess was a good test case. 712 cases, 10 deaths to date with 15 more still critical. It's fair to say that it was probably an older crowd but unlike the flu, there's no vaccine.

Also flu kills as many as 600k a year, with a vaccine , this thing is almost definitely worse. Even if it's not the 10 times worse, we're still talking a few million.

And that's before we get to the mass hospitalisation of people who won't die but will be sick for months.
DOB

Post by DOB »

terryfinch wrote:Anyone else here think that the numbers of cases recorded are just misleading? I wouldn't be surprised if, when we get the antibody test, it shows that half the population have already had it. If that is the case, then this disease is not much more deadly than normal flu.
You think 7,000 people dead in Italy is just the normal flu?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Can’t find the graph but it looks like we’ve flattened it a bit.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

To add, no one thinks the numbers are accurate although South Korea have done a lot of testing and are showing over 1% death rate.