Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Enzedder »

camroc1 wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
kiap wrote:
Sefton wrote:But he is a racist
What were the details of it?
It was during Sefton's reign of mod terror. He banned half the bored for racism.
I’ll bet it wasn’t the white half.
Mostly those who live across the sea to the west of him. :nod:

Talk about rewriting history. Sefton hardly did any bannings.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Bolivia has imposed some of the most stringent restrictions in the world to stem the spread of the virus.

Everyone must stay indoors at all times to 15 April except for one visit a week to the shops between 8am and noon, with the actual day dependent on the last digit of an individual's national ID number: Monday is 1 or 2, Tuesday is 3 or 4, etc.

No one is allowed out at all at weekends
merry!

Post by merry! »

Sefton wrote:But he is a racist, Sluggy wad banned for being a racist, you might not like that but all your crocodile tears mean shit all to me, as for you crying about bullying, well you know where the ignore button is, throw it on and go and have a cry in the corner.
so were you.
slick

Post by slick »

Seeing the reports on Channel 4 of English towns just carrying on as if nothing is going on and people not giving a shit, in contrast to Scotland’s closed down cities and new Coronavirus only doctors surgeries, im thinking we should seal the border.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Enzedder wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
kiap wrote: What were the details of it?
It was during Sefton's reign of mod terror. He banned half the bored for racism.
I’ll bet it wasn’t the white half.
Mostly those who live across the sea to the west of him. :nod:

Talk about rewriting history. Sefton hardly did any bannings.
Lynchings mostly, after rounding up the posse.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

slick wrote:Seeing the reports on Channel 4 of English towns just carrying on as if nothing is going on and people not giving a shit, in contrast to Scotland’s closed down cities and new Coronavirus only doctors surgeries, im thinking we should seal the border.
Your mate should have a word
slick

Post by slick »

Frodder wrote:
slick wrote:Seeing the reports on Channel 4 of English towns just carrying on as if nothing is going on and people not giving a shit, in contrast to Scotland’s closed down cities and new Coronavirus only doctors surgeries, im thinking we should seal the border.
Your mate should have a word
There will be a knock at your door shortly
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

sorCrer wrote:Bolivia has imposed some of the most stringent restrictions in the world to stem the spread of the virus.

Everyone must stay indoors at all times to 15 April except for one visit a week to the shops between 8am and noon, with the actual day dependent on the last digit of an individual's national ID number: Monday is 1 or 2, Tuesday is 3 or 4, etc.

No one is allowed out at all at weekends
See what you can get done with a good solid history of martial law. ¡Viva el Presidente!
Butch and Sundance did ok there
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

17 year old with no previous health issues dies of corona due to lacking insurance

https://mobile.twitter.com/sfchronicle/ ... 4484766720
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Raggs wrote:17 year old with no previous health issues dies of corona due to lacking insurance

That is going to cause the mother of all shitfights
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Raggs wrote:17 year old with no previous health issues dies of corona due to lacking insurance

Was goeagles not explaining at length how that couldn't have possibly happened?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Jesus. :uhoh:
Poor guy.

The US is really f**ked, isn't it?
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

de_Selby wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Quotes please.
C69

Post by C69 »

Nolanator wrote:

Jesus. :uhoh:
Poor guy.

The US is really f**ked, isn't it?
Yes
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

message #2527204 wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:Gates saying everyone will have to have a certificate saying whether you are recovered, vaccinated, or neither.
A wonderful new way to discriminate.
Erm .... what?

This might be a good time to point out that there's nothing wrong with sensible discrimination. In fact, being described as "discriminating" can be a compliment, meaning you are wise to what to keep and what to cut.

It's unfair discrimination based upon sex or race when those things are irrelevant that's the problem. Knowing if someone has been vaccinated against a deadly pathogen or not is clearly not unfair discrimination. For example, I don't think it's unreasonable to avoid having your baby to young to be vaccinated around some older kids some hippy parent has decided not to vaccinate. Same applies here.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

de_Selby wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

No. I think he said the health system would be fine as long as they didn't treat too many who didn't have insurance.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Knowing if someone has been vaccinated against a deadly pathogen or not is clearly not unfair discrimination.
Thank Christ it's no longer just a heavy cold then.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Cûnts.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

message #2527204 wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

No. I think he said the health system would be fine as long as they didn't treat too many who didn't have insurance.
I said our health system is not uniquely set up to fail like some were claiming. If too many who don't have insurance get treated, the hospitals may need a bailout. Given we are talking about bailing out cruise lines who fly flags of random Caribbean and Central American countries to avoid US taxes, I don't see that being a problem.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

goeagles wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

I said our health system is not uniquely set up to fail like some were claiming. If too many who don't have insurance get treated, the hospitals may need a bailout. Given we are talking about bailing out cruise lines who fly flags of random Caribbean and Central American countries to avoid US taxes, I don't see that being a problem.
Well, it appears that they're going to err on the safe side and are not going to treat them unless they get sight of that bail out.
This poor lad seems to have fallen victim to the negotiations.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

I'm watching Trump's address

He seems tired, breathless and has the sniffles

Is this always the case?
Mog The Almighty

Enzedder wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote: Knowing if someone has been vaccinated against a deadly pathogen or not is clearly not unfair discrimination.
No, it's still a bad cold.

I've never denied it was a big problem. What I copped shit for was saying that this thread is a gossip mill of unhelpful, unqualified armchair speculation, such as "washing your hands doesn't do shit" and implications that significant numbers of young people end up on a ventilator and require six weeks of hospitalization only to come out with permanent lung damage. These things are clearly bullshit and either dangerous or scare-mongering that resulted in toilet paper becoming a commodity., In fact the vast majority across all age ranges suffer mild flu-like symptoms and simply washing your hands is (unfortunately) one of the most effective things we can all do to help prevent it spreading.

I've never denied it's a serious problem, so pretty please with sugar on top, please stop implying otherwise.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

deadduck wrote:I'm watching Trump's address

Is this always the case?
Remember a couple of years back his 'medical' team pronouncing his prime physical condition? :roll:
Mog The Almighty

deadduck wrote:I'm watching Trump's address

Is this always the case?
I haven't seen this time, I'm not watching it, but I know last time half the posters in this thread gave me shit for saying he appeared completely normal, which he did, and he was.

FWIW, "sniffles" is not a common symptom of this corona virus. It's a mild fever and a dry cough.

But I dunno, I haven't seen it.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

message #2527204 wrote: Well, it appears that they're going to err on the safe side and are not going to treat them unless they get sight of that bail out.
One case where the hospital screwed up. That's not what it appears at all.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

I've never denied it was a big problem. What I copped shit for was saying that this thread is a gossip mill of unhelpful, unqualified armchair speculation, such as "washing your hands doesn't do shit" and implications that significant numbers of young people end up on a ventilator and require six weeks of hospitalization only to come out with permanent lung damage. These things are clearly bullshit and either dangerous or scare-mongering that resulted in toilet paper becoming a commodity., In fact the vast majority across all age ranges suffer mild flu-like symptoms and simply washing your hands is (unfortunately) one of the most effective things we can all do to help prevent it spreading.

I've never denied it's a serious problem, so pretty please with sugar on top, please stop implying otherwise.
Washing your hands doesn't do shit (as in, it's minimal impact compared to social distancing). Of course you should do it anyway - no one has advised not to wash your hands.

CDC:
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
  • Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
    Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
    These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
Last edited by Bindi on Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C69

Post by C69 »

Enzedder wrote:
Nah it's just the flu

Wash your hands
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Bindi wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Washing your hands doesn't do shit (as in, it's minimal impact compared to social distancing). Of course you should do it anyway - no one has advised not to wash your hands.
Pfff. What would you know about this?
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Just media bullsh*t. The vast majority of places are incredibly quiet. It feels very strange.
Mog The Almighty

Nolanator wrote:
Bindi wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

From what I recall, the original reasoning was not that, "social distancing is more effective". The original reason was something about it being airborne and literally, washing your hands, quote, "doesn't do shit", end quote.

You're talking to someone who proudly hoarded toilet paper. Although the virus also does not cause explosive shits by anyone's reckoning. So you decide.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

terryfinch wrote:
Just media bullsh*t. The vast majority of places are incredibly quiet. It feels very strange.
Yep, all my local towns were like a movie today when I ventured out for shopping.
DOB

Post by DOB »

goeagles wrote:
message #2527204 wrote: Well, it appears that they're going to err on the safe side and are not going to treat them unless they get sight of that bail out.
One case where the hospital screwed up. That's not what it appears at all.
The trouble is it's a grey enough area that a mistake like this can happen, and the staff at the hospital might be conditioned enough to turn patients away due to lack of insurance.

It sounds like it's not 100% certain that it was Covid that killed the kid; he showed up at an urgent care facility, they told him that he'd be better off going to a public hospital, and he went into cardiac arrest on his way there.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 29946.html
Updated: A 17-year-old whose death was initially linked to the novel coronavirus despite not having any previously reported health conditions was denied treatment at a California medical facility over his lack of insurance, according to the mayor.

R Rex Parris, the mayor of Lancaster, California, confirmed the teen’s death in a video posted to YouTube on Wednesday, in which he warned residents to take the global pandemic seriously and practice self-isolation and social distancing measures.

“The Friday before he died, he was healthy,” the mayor said about the teenager. “By Wednesday, he was dead.”

The mayor said the teen “didn’t have insurance, so they did not treat him” when he arrived at an urgent care facility in the area. The medical staff then told the child to go to a local public hospital.

“En route to AV Hospital, he went into cardiac arrest,” the mayor said. “They were able to revive him and keep him alive for about six hours. But by the time he got there, it was too late.”
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Nolanator wrote:
Bindi wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Not much apparently. Frustrates me that that even people I work with who are all virologists are obsessively washing their hands but still coming to work with a cold and talking in people's faces as usual. Much like doctors who smoke.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

As for the younger people on ventilator, I've already addressed this Mog and clarified that my definition meant sub 60. In other words, it's not just a disease to be kept away from older people but also one which brings a risk to a group which wouldn't normally worry about flu. As we've seen.
Mog The Almighty

Bindi wrote:Not much apparently. Frustrates me that that even people I work with who are all virologists are obsessively washing their hands but still coming to work with a cold and talking in people's faces as usual. Much like doctors who smoke.
How's your hoard of toilet paper going? Gone through it all yet? Does this virus cause diarrhea in your allegedly expertly qualified opinion?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Mog The Almighty wrote: From what I recall, the original reasoning was not that, "social distancing is more effective". The original reason was something about it being airborne and literally, washing your hands, quote, "doesn't do shit", end quote.

You're talking to someone who proudly hoarded toilet paper. Although the virus also does not cause explosive shits by anyone's reckoning. So you decide.
And it has been shown, for all intents and purposes given the number of cases, to be airborne. That's the whole point of the social distancing.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

shit must be getting real on the front lines. our regulator has asked us to volunteer for the NHS.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Interesting info from the BBC:

Sir Simon said NHS staff were pulling out all the stops to cope with the crisis but he said pressure on the NHS was only going to intensify over the coming weeks.

He said:

6,200 patients with Covid-19 were currently being treated in hospitals in England
33,000 beds were available to treat coronavirus patients
18,000 retired doctors and nurses had volunteered to help the NHS

bbc.co.uk/news/health-52070199

Lots of beds still available is encouraging, even if in certain places it's getting tighter.