Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
clementinfrance

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by clementinfrance »

Dont' know if this a RR or not.

Youngest French victim is a 16 yr old girl with no pre-existing conditions.
Had two tests come back negative before suddenly getting very bad.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/malad ... 87301.html

Very rare for somebody so young to be this badly affected, but this shows nobody should be complacent.

:(
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Raggs

Post by Raggs »

c69 wrote:Raggs has been excellent on this thread, I can't post too much as many know my name and job etc
So for scientific masturbation I will post all the latest info from tomorrow

It is a thread for fronting workers a fact thread no shit fights etc
It's a lot easier to just be "clever" on an internet forum, than to be doing work on the frontline of this, thank you :thumbup: .

Would be very interested in seeing that info.

EDIT - And scientific masturbation is exactly what it is.
C69

Post by C69 »

Raggs wrote:
c69 wrote:Raggs has been excellent on this thread, I can't post too much as many know my name and job etc

It's a lot easier to just be "clever" on an internet forum, than to be doing work on the frontline of this, thank you :thumbup: .

Will sort a thread later.
TB63

Post by TB63 »

c69 wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Hey mate, keep the good work up... regards and respect from the majority of PR posters...
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

TB63 wrote:
c69 wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Hey mate, keep the good work up... regards and respect from the majority of PR posters...
:thumbup: Much much respect.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

C69 for Boris stand in
C69

Regards: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by C69 »

Frodder wrote:C69 for Boris stand in
No thanks
I need to be with my staff on the front line, making a difference.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

My niece, a nurse, has just posted a copy of her negative COV-19 test on Messenger. (Along with about a zillion memes and smartarse comments). Another niece is also a nurse and a nephew an ambo.

Taken together with sibs who are younger than me but in worse health and a bro-in-law in poor health, it’s getting a tad concerning.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Gavin Duffy wrote:Luftwaffe helping the Italians!
https://mobile.twitter.com/landnrw/stat ... 6130114561
And we (Ireland) are bringing in supplies for NI in our flights from China.
TB63

Re: Regards: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by TB63 »

c69 wrote:
Frodder wrote:C69 for Boris stand in
No thanks
I need to be with my staff on the front line, making a difference.
Why did a vision of Gandalf on the bridge just pop into my head?..
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

China may have fudged their numbers to look better? Colour me surprised.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

MungoMan wrote:My niece, a nurse, has just posted a copy of her negative COV-19 test on Messenger. (Along with about a zillion memes and smartarse comments). Another niece is also a nurse and a nephew an ambo.

Taken together with sibs who are younger than me but in worse health and a bro-in-law in poor health, it’s getting a tad concerning.
Hope you and your family all get through this unscathed. Stay safe.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Hong Kong wrote:Terrible news boobs and I fear we are only going to hear many more such stories...😢

and in other news, a despicunt of a woman gets charged with being a cunt of a human being

What is wrong with people? FFS!
C69

Post by C69 »

eldanielfire wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:Terrible news boobs and I fear we are only going to hear many more such stories...😢

and in other news, a despicunt of a woman gets charged with being a cunt of a human being

What a twat
backrow

Post by backrow »

Maybe the feel a bit of guilt for having blocked medical equipment leaving Germany earlier in March ?
backrow

Post by backrow »

Wyndham Upalot wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
November2019 wrote:
National Rifle Association members and officials of other gun rights organizations said Friday they had sued Gov. Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Sheriff Alex Villanueva for alleged constitutional violations, citing the shutdown of gun shops during the coronavirus stay-at-home orders.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 151165.php

we think we have problems.
Je-sus. People have such strange priorities.
Rational thinkers might say those NRA types are just a bit paranoid and lacking in the IQ stakes? I know I'm very much stereotyping, but am I a bad person to think that?
Surely the average yank gun nut would already have lots of guns and ammo at home anyways? Quite why they would need the shop to be open for a few weeks is beyond me!
C69

Post by C69 »

The USA right is mad
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Chief Korean Virus expert - very informative
https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU
Wear masks and wash hands, get tested if you have any symptoms and be very careful if over 60. Basically West has f@cked up badly.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Leinsterman wrote:
MungoMan wrote:My niece, a nurse, has just posted a copy of her negative COV-19 test on Messenger. (Along with about a zillion memes and smartarse comments). Another niece is also a nurse and a nephew an ambo.

Hope you and your family all get through this unscathed. Stay safe.
Ta. And the same to you and yours.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

camroc1 wrote:
You must be gutted you aren’t there to make sure the prods/brits don’t get anything
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

c69 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

What a twat
Her twat wasn't the problem, it was her mouth.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Winnie wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
You must be gutted you aren’t there to make sure the prods/brits don’t get anything
I think thats in the T&Cs the government drew up anyway, so no need for Cammy's involvement. :lol:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Winnie wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
:lol: (Funny because it's true...)
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

kiwinoz wrote:Chief Korean Virus expert - very informative
https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU
Wear masks and wash hands, get tested if you have any symptoms and be very careful if over 60. Basically West has f@cked up badly.
They had serious scares in the past, leaving them better prepared. Contact tracing simply isn't possible in most european countries due to lack of testing, and privacy laws.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

eldanielfire wrote:
c69 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

What a twat
Her twat wasn't the problem, it was her mouth.
She’s clearly mentally ill and has been failed by the mental health authorities let’s be honest.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

MungoMan wrote:Shit a brick but Murica has really slammed its foot on the go-fast pedal in re new confirmed cases. 18, 600 more in the last day according to worldometers.

I hope the state-by-state measures being adopted can dampen this real soon now.
I see the USA is no longer top of the Worldometer list.

They're now included a "World" total at the top...
Donnie must have got upset.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Any explanation for what's happening in Sweden? Why are they unique in terms of being able to function with limited measures and a low mortality rate. Especially when you consider they're only testing acute cases.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

backrow wrote:
Wyndham Upalot wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
November2019 wrote:
National Rifle Association members and officials of other gun rights organizations said Friday they had sued Gov. Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Sheriff Alex Villanueva for alleged constitutional violations, citing the shutdown of gun shops during the coronavirus stay-at-home orders.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 151165.php

we think we have problems.
Je-sus. People have such strange priorities.
Rational thinkers might say those NRA types are just a bit paranoid and lacking in the IQ stakes? I know I'm very much stereotyping, but am I a bad person to think that?
Surely the average yank gun nut would already have lots of guns and ammo at home anyways? Quite why they would need the shop to be open for a few weeks is beyond me!
All tactical in the broader context of litigating Constitutional issues. Letting anything through to the keeper (for either “side”) then makes its way into the next filing on subsequent measures.
dpedin

Post by dpedin »

The focus on the Covid19 figures and in particular the number of deaths is important and urgent but a bit misleading. The (other) thing that worries me is the impact of this on the numbers of other patients who will not have access to the best healthcare they should receive. As ICU/Critical care/High Dependancy beds become full of Covid19 patients and large swathes of beds in hospitals are sectioned off for Covid19 patients then both important elective and emergency patients will have care delayed or changed. For many they will have to wait longer for important surgery or have surgery changed to something less optimal but will mean they don't need ICU post op. This will be a big issue for cancer, cardiac, renal patients for example. Others will be affected as the workforce become ill or self isolate. For example as radiographers fall ill then radiotherapy capacity will reduce and more patients will have to wait longer for time critical treatment. Ditto chemotherapy.

Hospitals should run at 75-80% capacity for efficiency reasons, they have been running at 95%+ capacity due to lack of funding, etc (Not the place to get into that debate). Its been a bit like driving from Edinburgh to London at 120mph non stop for the whole journey and then wondering why your car breaks down. ICU beds are the top of the care pyramid and have been working at well above recommended capacity for a number of years. Numbers of beds and a workforce have seen a criminal lack of investment in the last 10 years. The reality is that finding extra ICU capacity for dealing with Covid19 will impact upon all other services and some very difficult decisions will have to be made about who does and does not get access to care or get sub optimal care.

I suspect that when all this is over and we look back and take a wider view of the impact of Covd19 it will not just be those deaths directly related to the virus we are shocked by but also those deaths which will result from these difficult decisions. I feel so sorry for those patients who know their treatment is not the best it should be but also for those doctors and nurses who have to make these incredibly hard decisions.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

CM11 wrote:Any explanation for what's happening in Sweden? Why are they unique in terms of being able to function with limited measures and a low mortality rate. Especially when you consider they're only testing acute cases.
They’re heading for trouble though, and their deaths per million population isn’t fantastic.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

dpedin wrote:The focus on the Covid19 figures and in particular the number of deaths is important and urgent but a bit misleading. The (other) thing that worries me is the impact of this on the numbers of other patients who will not have access to the best healthcare they should receive. As ICU/Critical care/High Dependancy beds become full of Covid19 patients and large swathes of beds in hospitals are sectioned off for Covid19 patients then both important elective and emergency patients will have care delayed or changed. For many they will have to wait longer for important surgery or have surgery changed to something less optimal but will mean they don't need ICU post op. This will be a big issue for cancer, cardiac, renal patients for example. Others will be affected as the workforce become ill or self isolate. For example as radiographers fall ill then radiotherapy capacity will reduce and more patients will have to wait longer for time critical treatment. Ditto chemotherapy.

Hospitals should run at 75-80% capacity for efficiency reasons, they have been running at 95%+ capacity due to lack of funding, etc (Not the place to get into that debate). Its been a bit like driving from Edinburgh to London at 120mph non stop for the whole journey and then wondering why your car breaks down. ICU beds are the top of the care pyramid and have been working at well above recommended capacity for a number of years. Numbers of beds and a workforce have seen a criminal lack of investment in the last 10 years. The reality is that finding extra ICU capacity for dealing with Covid19 will impact upon all other services and some very difficult decisions will have to be made about who does and does not get access to care or get sub optimal care.

I suspect that when all this is over and we look back and take a wider view of the impact of Covd19 it will not just be those deaths directly related to the virus we are shocked by but also those deaths which will result from these difficult decisions. I feel so sorry for those patients who know their treatment is not the best it should be but also for those doctors and nurses who have to make these incredibly hard decisions.
That's exactly what all the fuss is about. Not the deaths from Covid, but from overwhelming the health service and the impact that has on everything from Covid to car crashes. All the flatten the curve, and now suppression talk, hasn't been to stop covid deaths, it's been to stop the health service being overrun.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Gavin Duffy wrote:
CM11 wrote:Any explanation for what's happening in Sweden? Why are they unique in terms of being able to function with limited measures and a low mortality rate. Especially when you consider they're only testing acute cases.
They’re heading for trouble though, and their deaths per million population isn’t fantastic.
No, but their deaths per case are well below anyone else doing a similar testing regime.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

fishfoodie wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:Has anyone else read too many articles about numbers of asymptomatic people? Scary to think about infecting others when you have no clue!
Yaah.

On the one hand, you'd be delighted to get it & never even know it; but be immune to that strain.

And on the other; horrified that you could end up spreading it to loved one; & be responsible for them having serious complications :(
Exactly!

I rent a suite from a nice 80 year old lady. She has her 60 year old son in helping her. I'm extra careful to keep my distance from them and keep surfaces they may come into contact with clean (though I have my own entrance). I really don't have much fear for myself, even if I got ill, but would not want to be the one who transmits to someone else. :(
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

CM11 wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:
No, but their deaths per case are well below anyone else doing a similar testing regime.
One plausible explanation I have read is that intergenerational distancing is far more common in Sweden than most other countries. So it's been easier to isolate the most vulnerable groups.
C69

Post by C69 »

Raggs wrote:
dpedin wrote:The focus on the Covid19 figures and in particular the number of deaths is important and urgent but a bit misleading. The (other) thing that worries me is the impact of this on the numbers of other patients who will not have access to the best healthcare they should receive. As ICU/Critical care/High Dependancy beds become full of Covid19 patients and large swathes of beds in hospitals are sectioned off for Covid19 patients then both important elective and emergency patients will have care delayed or changed. For many they will have to wait longer for important surgery or have surgery changed to something less optimal but will mean they don't need ICU post op. This will be a big issue for cancer, cardiac, renal patients for example. Others will be affected as the workforce become ill or self isolate. For example as radiographers fall ill then radiotherapy capacity will reduce and more patients will have to wait longer for time critical treatment. Ditto chemotherapy.

That's exactly what all the fuss is about. Not the deaths from Covid, but from overwhelming the health service and the impact that has on everything from Covid to car crashes. All the flatten the curve, and now suppression talk, hasn't been to stop covid deaths, it's been to stop the health service being overrun.
2 great posts.
I am being dragged into work tomorrow on my day off for a few hours. Not that I am really needed but I feel senior staff need to be visible. I am going to piss evryone off on Monday and say all senior clinical staff should be ward bases and gtfo of their offices for half of their tenure.
I have literally been there shaving off beards of devote Muslims and fit testing for masks.
Feeexccxkjk
dpedin

Post by dpedin »

Raggs wrote:

Agreed. Just worried that most folk think the only deaths attributed to this shitstorm are those reported as the ones directly attributable to Covid19. I am not sure what additional percentage/number of deaths should be added to this number to give the true numbers of deaths but it will not be insignificant.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

I agree C69. Our managers are working from home. Its pathetic, even worse when you consider most are clinicians and all are MIMMs trained (I assume they will still be attending major incidents tbf). Staff welfare has never been a priority for our service though.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

I read that regular and emergency cases would be diverted to private hospitals and clinics as it progresses, keeping them covid free. I think the 95% is peak capacity with 5% contingency? Not a lot of leeway, anyway.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Anyone know why the UK Recovered number is so low? Is the NHS rubbish at curing people or are we extra careful before we declare someone cured?