Raggs

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Raggs »

Clogs wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Clogs wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Lockdowns in Europe saved millions of lives

The Imperial study assessed the impact of restrictions in 11 European countries - Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK - up to the beginning of May.

By that time, around 130,000 people had died from coronavirus in those countries.

The researchers used disease modelling to predict how many deaths there would have been if lockdown had not happened. And the work comes from the same group that guided the UK's decision to go into lockdown.

UK changes course amid death toll fears
They estimated 3.2 million people would have died by 4 May if not for measures such as closing businesses and telling people to stay at home.

That meant lockdown saved around 3.1 million lives, including 470,000 in the UK, 690,000 in France and 630,000 in Italy, the report in the journal Nature shows.

"Lockdown averted millions of deaths, those deaths would have been a tragedy," said Dr Seth Flaxman, from Imperial.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52968523

How many people would have to have become infected in Europe for that model to be accurate?
Don't know how they work it out but like for like Sweden with twice the population of Finland has currently around 15 times as many deaths. France has same size population as the UK and 30,000 deaths. 7 times as many deaths would be 210,000. Even if they are way out we are talking overwhelmed health services and absolute carnage.

This is why models can be so misleading. They have reported that lockdown have saved 470 000 people in the UK. Now given we know the approximate IFR is 0.5%, it means in order for 470 000 people to die 94 million people in the UK would have to become infected. That model has some flaws....
Do we know that's the IFR? Seems to be the lower end of the ranges I'm seeing at the moment?

And as pointed out. It's not just covid19 that people will die of when there's no beds in hospitals left. In addition, that IFR is when you have the facilities to treat, covid alone will be more deadly with no beds.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Was just reading a story about a 15 year old who got crushed in a farming accident. The father reckons he's only alive today because covid has emptied the hospitals and everyone is on heightened alert. So from accident to ICU went much smoother. While he may have died under normal circumstances, he definitely would have with the hospitals overwhelmed due to covid. One example but not isolated, I'm sure.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Heartwarming story
Seattle coronavirus survivor gets a $1.1 million, 181-page hospital bill
https://apple.news/Ab_dOmkONQc-usEIYbVs9_g
Petej

Post by Petej »

Raggs wrote:
Clogs wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Clogs wrote:

How many people would have to have become infected in Europe for that model to be accurate?
Don't know how they work it out but like for like Sweden with twice the population of Finland has currently around 15 times as many deaths. France has same size population as the UK and 30,000 deaths. 7 times as many deaths would be 210,000. Even if they are way out we are talking overwhelmed health services and absolute carnage.

This is why models can be so misleading. They have reported that lockdown have saved 470 000 people in the UK. Now given we know the approximate IFR is 0.5%, it means in order for 470 000 people to die 94 million people in the UK would have to become infected. That model has some flaws....
Do we know that's the IFR? Seems to be the lower end of the ranges I'm seeing at the moment?

And as pointed out. It's not just covid19 that people will die of when there's no beds in hospitals left. In addition, that IFR is when you have the facilities to treat, covid alone will be more deadly with no beds.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
that has a list of serological studies. Not sure how frequently it is updated. Can't remember who posted it. Was it you? Really variable. If the UK was less fat and unhealthy then our IFR would be lower.

I'm sure somebody else has posted this but 70-80% are asymptomatic according to an ONS study
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/ ... 66831.html

I just want my kids nursery to open now. Having to use up annual leave as wife and I are both still working full time is a bastard. I think so long as we don't allow large crowds (particularly indoors) for super spreader type events this thing will dissipate due to its K value.
croyals

Post by croyals »

CM11 wrote:Was just reading a story about a 15 year old who got crushed in a farming accident. The father reckons he's only alive today because covid has emptied the hospitals and everyone is on heightened alert. So from accident to ICU went much smoother. While he may have died under normal circumstances, he definitely would have with the hospitals overwhelmed due to covid. One example but not isolated, I'm sure.
Got a doctor in the family who said last night that if you're ever going to get a serious condition now would be the time.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

croyals wrote:
CM11 wrote:Was just reading a story about a 15 year old who got crushed in a farming accident. The father reckons he's only alive today because covid has emptied the hospitals and everyone is on heightened alert. So from accident to ICU went much smoother. While he may have died under normal circumstances, he definitely would have with the hospitals overwhelmed due to covid. One example but not isolated, I'm sure.
Got a doctor in the family who said last night that if you're ever going to get a serious condition now would be the time.
Not in West Wales. Friend of mine has a very serious condition, that hasn't been addressed by the NHS. Now its critical. God knows what they are doing because there's bugger all covid out here.
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Up to 80 per cent of people who test positive for coronavirus don't show any symptoms, a new study of the pandemic in England suggests.
Ok, here's a question for the medical/science bordies.
What does it mean to "test positive"?
Obviously the virus is lingering somewhere in your system, but it isn't going anywhere, or what?
A few days ago I posted a link to a British medical chap claiming between 50 and 80% of humans are just not "in the game". Meaning the virus has no effect on them.
Can a pathogen resides in your body for a while, being totally impotent and then eventually just fvck off?
Clive

Post by Clive »

ChipSpike wrote:
croyals wrote:
Not in West Wales. Friend of mine has a very serious condition, that hasn't been addressed by the NHS. Now its critical. God knows what they are doing because there's bugger all covid out here.
Wouldn't say bugger all, but hope you mate pulls through.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Bokkom wrote:
Up to 80 per cent of people who test positive for coronavirus don't show any symptoms, a new study of the pandemic in England suggests.
Obviously the virus is lingering somewhere in your system, but it isn't going anywhere, or what?
A few days ago I posted a link to a British medical chap claiming between 50 and 80% of humans are just not "in the game". Meaning the virus has no effect on them.
Can a pathogen resides in your body for a while, being totally impotent and then eventually just fvck off?
It can stay in your body for a long time, tests on people were showing they still had the virus several weeks on, but the test were incorrect because dead virus cells still float happily around your body until they flush out.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Clive wrote:
ChipSpike wrote:
croyals wrote:
We've had 10 - 25 patients in critical care in the whole of Hywel Dda for the last 2 months? I'm not a health expert but that doesn't sound a lot to me. I would like to have explained to me why 'normal' emergencies aren't being addressed.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Mr Mike wrote:Heartwarming story
Seattle coronavirus survivor gets a $1.1 million, 181-page hospital bill
https://apple.news/Ab_dOmkONQc-usEIYbVs9_g
Would he have died if he only had basic cover
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Clive wrote:
Bokkom wrote:
It can stay in your body for a long time, tests on people were showing they still had the virus several weeks on, but the test were incorrect because dead virus cells still float happily around your body until they flush out.
So they are "dead"?
Meaning, although they are there, they have no effect?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

CM11 wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:Great screen shot here. This is worldmeters with the active cases low to high selected.

Of the countries which can be bothered recording active cases, New Zealand heads the list as best performing eradicator.

You've actually managed to post an image which proves you wrong.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Petej

Post by Petej »

Bokkom wrote:
Clive wrote:
Bokkom wrote:
So they are "dead"?
Depending on the test run though the ONS are running antibody tests and antigen tests. If you have had the virus and your immune system has dealt with it you would have created antibodies. If you have the virus currently or have remnants of it that hasn't been fully flushed out they will be picked up by an antigen test. Asymptomatic means you have or had the virus but never had or will get any symptoms (likely more common in younger people). Pre-symptomatic means you have the virus but have not had symptoms so far.

If the british medical chap is Sikora i would be a bit careful about it though he definitely has valid opinions on missed cancer detection, people dying of other conditions as they are too scared to go hospital and people being way more scared than the actual risk the virus currently poses to them.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

Can anyone explain this PHE report that says racism/discrimination is partially to blame for high death rates amongst BAME people with Covid 19 in the UK?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ths-report

I would have thought actual physiological reasons would have played the bigger part.

I can understand that some might be of lower income/ have poorer living conditions/worse health care in the locations they live (mostly the cities) and that this gave them a worse outcome from catching the virus.

Do BAME deaths in other European countries tie in with this?

Found this odd.
"For BAME communities, lack of trust of NHS services resulted in reluctance to seek care."
Especially when so many BAME people work in the NHS and their high infection/death rate well documented.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Glaston wrote:Can anyone explain this PHE report that says racism/discrimination is partially to blame for high death rates amongst BAME people with Covid 19 in the UK?

I would have thought actual physiological reasons would have played the bigger part.

I can understand that some might be of lower income/ have poorer living conditions/worse health care in the locations they live (mostly the cities) and that this gave them a worse outcome from catching the virus.

Found this odd.
"For BAME communities, lack of trust of NHS services resulted in reluctance to seek care."
Especially when so many BAME people work in the NHS and their high infection/death rate well documented.
Its lack of vitamin D with brown and black people, causing the problem.
Last edited by Clive on Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Bokkom wrote:
Clive wrote:
Bokkom wrote:
So they are "dead"?
Yes 100% correct. They carried out tests in Korea and couldn't understand why people who had covid were showing signs months on, the virus was showing its presence, but it was dead and no effect what so ever.
Last edited by Clive on Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Clive wrote:
Glaston wrote:Can anyone explain this PHE report that says racism/discrimination is partially to blame for high death rates amongst BAME people with Covid 19 in the UK?

Found this odd.
Its lack of vitamin D with brown and black peoples the problem.
Case closed
Clive

Post by Clive »

ChipSpike wrote:
Clive wrote:
ChipSpike wrote:
croyals wrote:
We've had 10 - 25 patients in critical care in the whole of Hywel Dda for the last 2 months? I'm not a health expert but that doesn't sound a lot to me. I would like to have explained to me why 'normal' emergencies aren't being addressed.
My son had an op in May in Swansea so still think other things are being seen to but at much lower level.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Am I the only one finding the figures from Russia and India as ever so slightly questionable.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Found this odd.

Lammy on Marr said its historical racism - whatever that means in this context. Slave traders no doubt.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

message #2527204 wrote:

Found this odd.

Lammy on Marr said its historical racism - whatever that means in this context. Slave traders no doubt.
"Lack of trust in the NHS" seems a bit of a stretch. I take it we are going to ignore all the genetic reasons why the BAME community have suffered so badly and look for less obvious options.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Found this odd.
I'd be interested in how they came to that conclusion. I have never hard that before
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Anonymous. wrote:

Found this odd.
I'd be interested in how they came to that conclusion. I have never hard that before
Maybe they think they're in america.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Lack of trust in the NHS? Sounds like shite. It’s free and open to everyone. No one in the UK is unaware of this.

If BAME communities have poor health, that’s not racist.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

BlackMac wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:

Found this odd.

"Lack of trust in the NHS" seems a bit of a stretch. I take it we are going to ignore all the genetic reasons why the BAME community have suffered so badly and look for less obvious options.
The ONS analysis did not take into account the work people do. The guy who was interviewed on the BBC said that and other environmental factors they had not been able to include could make a big difference.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Lots of asian folk are fat and are diabetic, most of the people in Wales died because of this ,not because they're poor or have shit jobs in the NHS its because they are prone to Covid and low levels of Vitamin D don't help.
If people want and try and make this yet another racist issue they are utter twats with ones head up ones arse.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Sandstorm wrote:Lack of trust in the NHS? Sounds like shite. It’s free and open to everyone. No one in the UK is unaware of this.

You are right it is true everyone knows it's free and open to everyone. Not sure where that would come into lack of trust in the NHS though
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Anonymous. wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:Lack of trust in the NHS? Sounds like shite. It’s free and open to everyone. No one in the UK is unaware of this.

You are right it is true everyone knows it's free and open to everyone. Not sure where that would come into lack of trust in the NHS though
It’s weird. Someone stated the rumour at the start of this pandemic, dunno why it gained traction these day......wait I do. :roll:
Saint

Post by Saint »

horrible news from an old school friend. They're in hospital with a dodgy heart (only working at 5-10%), on the transplant list, and have now tested positive for Coronavirus. Odds are not good for them
message #2527204

it's odd. You had the Muslim journalist in one briefing saying that the NHS itself was racist. Definitely needs looking at.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Saint wrote:horrible news from an old school friend. They're in hospital with a dodgy heart (only working at 5-10%), on the transplant list, and have now tested positive for Coronavirus. Odds are not good for them
Thoughts and prayers.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Clive wrote:Lots of asian folk are fat and are diabetic, most of the people in Wales died because of this ,not because they're poor or have shit jobs in the NHS its because they are prone to Covid and low levels of Vitamin D don't help.
If people want and try and make this yet another racist issue they are utter twats with ones head up ones arse.
I must admit my doctor told me as I am black and living in the UK I would certainly have low Vitamin D levels (my bloods came back confirming what she said). She gave me a script for a high dose to bring my levels up and I've been taking a maintenance dose ever since. It does significantly reduce susceptibility to acute respiratory tract infections.

However I do believe the most obvious correlation between general health and life expectancy is disposable household income.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

message #2527204 wrote:it's odd. You had the Muslim journalist in one briefing saying that the NHS itself was racist. Definitely needs looking at.
:lol:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Sandstorm wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

It’s weird. Someone stated the rumour at the start of this pandemic, dunno why it gained traction these day......wait I do. :roll:
To be honest you mentioning it is the first I've heard of it and still don't see what that would have to do with trust issues.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Anonymous. wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

To be honest you mentioning it is the first I've heard of it and still don't see what that would have to do with trust issues.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/co ... 1.html?amp
message #2527204

Anonymous. wrote:
Clive wrote:Lots of asian folk are fat and are diabetic, most of the people in Wales died because of this ,not because they're poor or have shit jobs in the NHS its because they are prone to Covid and low levels of Vitamin D don't help.
I must admit my doctor told me as I am black and living in the UK I would certainly have low Vitamin D levels (my bloods came back confirming what she said). She gave me a script for a high dose to bring my levels up and I've been taking a maintenance dose ever since. It does significantly reduce susceptibility to acute respiratory tract infections.

However I do believe the most obvious correlation between general health and life expectancy is disposable household income.
There is definitely a correlation, but it's not famine that is causing deaths. Maybe this report will actually shed some light.
Bayern

Post by Bayern »

message #2527204 wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

There is definitely a correlation, but it's not famine that is causing deaths. Maybe this report will actually shed some light.
Ironically it's my experience that it's by far and away cheaper to eat healthily. You get a right big bag of fresh fruit and vegetables for a few quid, it's the processed food that's expensive. Those benefit programs Channel 5 (mostly) run are a real eye-opener, some of the shite mother's shovel down their kids is shameful really.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Anonymous. wrote:

Vitamin D comes from sunshine, white people absorb it better than dark skinned, you also can get it from oily fish cheese and mushrooms (normal kind) so the winter time is when the dosage should be higher, helps with fatigue also.
I take one a day, double up in the winter.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Maybe, that wouldn’t explain the disparity in Doctors deaths though.