Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
fishfoodie

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by fishfoodie »

Not sure if this belongs on the Trump thread or this; but here is probably better.

An interesting snapshot of what happens when you open up; even in a limited, & controlled way; by looking at the PGA !

Nick Watney tests positive at the start of the 2nd days competition, in SC. He flew in on Tuesday with Sergio Garcia, in a private jet; because they both wanted to reduce their exposure, by not taking the PGA charter jet. Then 72hrs later, Garcia tests negative, & Watney is positive; so there's no question, but that he caught it in the intervening period.

Fellow pro Justin Thomas, piped in & described Hilton Head, as; "an absolute zoo".

Now looking at the course, hearing from the other Pros, I don't see; "an absolute zoo"; but it does show how even in a very wealth & protected group, it's very easy for someone to get infected.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

fishfoodie wrote:Not sure if this belongs on the Trump thread or this; but here is probably better.

An interesting snapshot of what happens when you open up; even in a limited, & controlled way; by looking at the PGA !

Nick Watney tests positive at the start of the 2nd days competition, in SC. He flew in on Tuesday with Sergio Garcia, in a private jet; because they both wanted to reduce their exposure, by not taking the PGA charter jet. Then 72hrs later, Garcia tests negative, & Watney is positive; so there's no question, but that he caught it in the intervening period.

Fellow pro Justin Thomas, piped in & described Hilton Head, as; "an absolute zoo".

Now looking at the course, hearing from the other Pros, I don't see; "an absolute zoo"; but it does show how even in a very wealth & protected group, it's very easy for someone to get infected.
Gestation period for the virus is up to 14 days - so it is probably questionable when he caught it.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

A rise in cases in Victoria, centered around Melbourne and Geelong, is a worry. Still tiny numbers when compared to many countries, but a worry for Australians given our curve had been so positive for so long. The ease in which this virus can spread is amazing. Very happy to be living in QLD right now with only three active cases, zero new cases found most days and no deaths since mid April.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

CM11 wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:What happened? I assume you mean why?
They haven't reported any stats since Thurs.

They have given up. Anonymous told them they had lost already.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote:A rise in cases in Victoria, centered around Melbourne and Geelong, is a worry. Still tiny numbers when compared to many countries, but a worry for Australians given our curve had been so positive for so long. The ease in which this virus can spread is amazing. Very happy to be living in QLD right now with only three active cases, zero new cases found most days and no deaths since mid April.

Remarkable, we have had a bump in numbers, 19 new cases just yesterday and as a result we (Victoria) have extended the State of Emergency and wound back the easing of restrictions.

Denmark on the other hand...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Another good day here in QLD. Yet many conservative commentators are demanding our Premier opens the borders to let the southern plague infiltrate our great state.

Glaston

Post by Glaston »

From the BBC

"In another development, Germany's 'R' number has risen to 2.88 - the number of people who someone with Covid-19 could infect. A number below one is seen as necessary to contain the spread of the disease.
The Robert Koch Institute issued the data based on a four-day average. The seven-day average came up with a lower figure of 2.03."

A big outbreak at a meat plant with over 1000 positive. A shortage of sausages now!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53131941
CM11

Post by CM11 »

A good example of why the r number isn't always relevant.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Exactly. Very easily contained there. 6500 working at that abattoir is some work force though
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Sweden seems to be reporting, at least world in data is still updating their numbers.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Raggs wrote:Sweden seems to be reporting, at least world in data is still updating their numbers.
Nope, just a horizontal line for their data since Thursday.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

CM11 wrote:
Raggs wrote:Sweden seems to be reporting, at least world in data is still updating their numbers.

It's just a bad flu...
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

CM11 wrote:
You're right, sorry, I looked their before and thought I saw data, might have been getting my dates confused.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Off for Midsummer I assume.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:Off for Midsummer I assume.
:lol:
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

CM11 wrote:A good example of why the r number isn't always relevant.

It is sobering just how skewed some of these stats can be. We are all worried about the number that die from this virus. However some are using deaths per million as the benchmark by which comparisons are being made.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

ovalball wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:Not sure if this belongs on the Trump thread or this; but here is probably better.

Gestation period for the virus is up to 14 days - so it is probably questionable when he caught it.
Watney tested negative when he arrived at the venue, got sick a few days later, then tested positive.

So the key will be how many other pros (not to mention caddies, officials and venue staff) test positive in two weeks time.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Yer Man wrote:
ovalball wrote:

Watney tested negative when he arrived at the venue, got sick a few days later, then tested positive.

So the key will be how many other pros (not to mention caddies, officials and venue staff) test positive in two weeks time.
It's a good example of how testing once and then going, yep, you're fine, isn't a catch all.

Probably caught it before arrival but not yet established enough to provide a positive test (or it could have been a false negative, not exactly uncommon).
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

My brother-in law just spent a night in London and he says NO-ONE on the Kings Road is practising social distancing. Shops are rammed, you can sit outside dozens of little restaurants on chairs and drink take-away booze within 1/2 foot of everyone else and only about 1 in 15 is wearing a mask.

I think everyone has just given up and said "Fugg it!"
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

Looking at the charts on Worldometer it looks like the death count is picking up, possibly due to South America where Mexico is now over 1k a day and Brazil is a disaster.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

Sandstorm wrote:My brother-in law just spent a night in London and he says NO-ONE on the Kings Road is practising social distancing. Shops are rammed, you can sit outside dozens of little restaurants on chairs and drink take-away booze within 1/2 foot of everyone else and only about 1 in 15 is wearing a mask.

As it often does; Florida is showing World Leading stupidty.

There's a story about a Pub in Jacksonville, which had an outbreak around June 6th; 7 out of 49 staff positive, & dozens of customers. One pub, one weekend: dozens of infected people.

But hey; Florida is still open, so the pub does some cleaning, & reopens; minus the infected staff :frown: :frown:

And in a months time the Republicans want to have their National Convention in town.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

fishfoodie wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:My brother-in law just spent a night in London and he says NO-ONE on the Kings Road is practising social distancing. Shops are rammed, you can sit outside dozens of little restaurants on chairs and drink take-away booze within 1/2 foot of everyone else and only about 1 in 15 is wearing a mask.

There's a story about a Pub in Jacksonville, which had an outbreak around June 6th; 7 out of 49 staff positive, & dozens of customers. One pub, one weekend: dozens of infected people.

But hey; Florida is still open, so the pub does some cleaning, & reopens; minus the infected staff :frown: :frown:

And in a months time the Republicans want to have their National Convention in town.
My brother-in-law is married to a girl from Jacksonville. Her sister had a civil ceremony a couple of weeks ago but is planning to plough on with the main event which is due to take place the same weekend as the Trump rally.
Judging by the size of the BIL's wedding, there'll probably be about 250-300 at the wedding. They've no intention of altering plans either. :uhoh:
A lot of Trump supporters in the wider family, particularly the Tampa crew.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Leinsterman wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:

My brother-in-law is married to a girl from Jacksonville. Her sister had a civil ceremony a couple of weeks ago but is planning to plough on with the main event which is due to take place the same weekend as the Trump rally.
Judging by the size of the BIL's wedding, there'll probably be about 250-300 at the wedding. They've no intention of altering plans either. :uhoh:
A lot of Trump supporters in the wider family, particularly the Tampa crew.
Presume less Trump supporters in the Tampax crew ?
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

EverReady wrote:Exactly. Very easily contained there. 6500 working at that abattoir is some work force though
German killing machines are always very efficient
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Ali's Choice wrote:A rise in cases in Victoria, centered around Melbourne and Geelong, is a worry. Still tiny numbers when compared to many countries, but a worry for Australians given our curve had been so positive for so long. The ease in which this virus can spread is amazing. Very happy to be living in QLD right now with only three active cases, zero new cases found most days and no deaths since mid April.
It's definitely air temperature related. We can see in Europe, cases are rising in meat plants. Meat plants are cold places with little sunlight. Virus's like Covid thrive in cold, dry air with little UV light to kill it.

I think cases will rise in Victoria and potentially the south island of New Zealand ( if Jacinda opens up borders) due to the winter being colder than normal this year in those places.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

backrow wrote: Presume less Trump supporters in the Tampax crew ?
To a man/woman, they're all diehard Republicans, particularly the older generations.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Leinsterman wrote:
To a man/woman, they're all diehard Republicans, particularly the older generations.
I don’t know enough yanks to know what they are like or how they differ between democrats and republicans. Presume they are still loud and can’t drink ?
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

backrow wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
I don’t know enough yanks to know what they are like or how they differ between democrats and republicans. Presume they are still loud and can’t drink ?
Yes, except the Democrats drink craft beer.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

backrow wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
Oh they drink alright and are filthy rich. Plenty of linen suits and Panama hats on show.
Funnily enough, they're not overly loud at all.
Pick-up trucks with the Tampa crew and all of them to a person ... God-fearing!
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

15 deaths recorded in UK yesterday. A weekend, so not really representative but still heading down quite rapidly compared to previous weekend figures. :thumbup:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

terryfinch wrote:15 deaths recorded in UK yesterday. A weekend, so not really representative but still heading down quite rapidly compared to previous weekend figures. :thumbup:

And two weeks post the protests.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

When I was going down KR last week it was very noticeable how many shops were only allowing small numbers of people inside at any one time. I think your b-i-l is over-egging it.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

terryfinch wrote:15 deaths recorded in UK yesterday. A weekend, so not really representative but still heading down quite rapidly compared to previous weekend figures. :thumbup:
Great stuff :thumbup:

It took a lot of hard work, & sacrifice to get here; & now people just need to not go mad & undo all the good work, as businesses start re-opening.
backrow

Post by backrow »

fishfoodie wrote:

It took a lot of hard work, & sacrifice to get here; & now people just need to not go mad & undo all the good work, as businesses start re-opening.
those business you speak of - do you include pubs, bars, gyms, hairdressers and nightclubs in that ?
Clive

Post by Clive »

Time to open up bollocks to any deaths, and get back to work or school or Uni, you cannot shut down the economy once more, due to fat people who don't take care of themselves.
Or Blacks who have low Vit D levels.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

The "absolute zoo" comment appeared to be aimed at the local area where he said everything seemed to be open as normal with no social distancing.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Clive wrote:Time to open up bollocks to any deaths, and get back to work or school or Uni, you cannot shut down the economy once more, due to fat people who don't take care of themselves.

Brexit motherfückers
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Brexit in a nutshell.
Clive

Post by Clive »

EverReady wrote:
Clive wrote:Time to open up bollocks to any deaths, and get back to work or school or Uni, you cannot shut down the economy once more, due to fat people who don't take care of themselves.

Brexit motherfückers
Indeed
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

backrow wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:

those business you speak of - do you include pubs, bars, gyms, hairdressers and nightclubs in that ?
Pubs in a limited capacity and the rest based on what's safe.
Nightclubs/pubs and unfortunately hairdressers will probably be in bad shape for a long time.