Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
CM11

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by CM11 »

In this instance it seems he's currently asymptomatic so probably OK.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Meat-packing City in Germany goes back to Level 4:
09:00 The German district of Gütersloh will be subject to a renewed lockdown until the end of June following an outbreak at a meat-processing plant, North Rhine-Westphalia's state premier has announced. The strict measures are in an effort to contain a fresh outbreak that originated in a Tönnies meat processing facility.

"The new regulations are comparable to what we saw [across the country] in March," state premier Armin Laschet said, saying that the roughly 360,000 inhabitants of the Gütersloh district can be tested for free for coronavirus.

This marks the first local lockdown since restrictions began to be eased in May. Laschet described the Gütersloh outbreak as the "largest occurrence of infection" within Germany; more than 1,500 workers at the Tönnes abattoir have tested positive for coronavirus. Cultural events will be canceled and gyms, cinemas and bars will once again close. All 7,000 Tönnies workers will go into home quarantine.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Rinkals wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:Bimbot is right again. *puke*

"Testing positive with Covid19" is not the same as "infected and likely to have long-term health damage...."
If you've tested positive, it means you are unlikely to get it?

I honestly didn't know that.

I thought if you were tested positive, it meant that there was a very good chance that you had it. You learn something every day. Likewise it's interesting that getting it means that you are unlikely to suffer health problems, long term or otherwise.
Is that supposed to be sarcastic?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

"Testing positive with Covid19" is not the same as "infected and likely to have long-term health damage...."
Bimbo is not right again. The fact he has tested positive means he could have issues for his career going forward. i'm not saying that means he is going to get i'll. Him being a fit 30 something doesn't mean he won't get i'ii. All these players only got tested again because Grigor Dimitrov who is a slim fit healthy 20 something felt i'll during his match and got tested and was found to have it.

BTW

You are the only one talking about likely to have long term health damage
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

i'ii yourself Anon
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Sandstorm wrote:i'ii yourself Anon
The damage ranged from the formation of blood vessel blockages within the lung’s alveoli, which absorb oxygen, to scarring of lung tissue, researchers at Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan found. This scarring or thickening of lung tissue — known as pulmonary fibrosis — can lead to increased breathlessness among sufferers. There is currently no treatment that can stop or reverse this condition.
In a separate Wuhan study, researchers analysed the CT scans of 81 patients with Covid-19 and found signs of fibrosis even in those who had had no symptoms. Writing in the journal Lancet Infectious Diseases last April, scientists said it was unclear if these lung changes were “irreversible”.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 46671.html
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Anonymous. wrote:

Bimbo is not right again. The fact he has tested positive means he could have issues for his career going forward. i'm not saying that means he is going to get i'll. Him being a fit 30 something doesn't mean he won't get i'ii. All these players only got tested again because Grigor Dimitrov who is a slim fit healthy 20 something felt i'll during his match and got tested and was found to have it.

BTW

i see Novak Djokovic has tested positive. Considering as an athlete the guy has had previous breathing issues this could be a huge issue for his career.

A huge issue for the long term, but not health damage.?

Idiot.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Seven more Pakistan players have tested positive for coronavirus, taking the total to 10.

However, players who have tested negative will depart for the tour of England on 28 June.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53149897
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

bimboman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

BTW

i see Novak Djokovic has tested positive. Considering as an athlete the guy has had previous breathing issues this could be a huge issue for his career.

Idiot.
I wouldn't go so far as to call you an idiot but see the words in red.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Anonymous. wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

BTW

Idiot.

As I said nonsense. Speculative nonsense.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

bimboman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

BTW

Idiot.

As I said nonsense. Speculative nonsense.
No Bimbo you just slagged me off for saying something which it turns out I didn't say at all. :lol:

BTW

I also said huge issue for his career not huge issue long term. You are useless :lol:

The damage ranged from the formation of blood vessel blockages within the lung’s alveoli, which absorb oxygen, to scarring of lung tissue, researchers at Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan found. This scarring or thickening of lung tissue — known as pulmonary fibrosis — can lead to increased breathlessness among sufferers. There is currently no treatment that can stop or reverse this condition.
In a separate Wuhan study, researchers analysed the CT scans of 81 patients with Covid-19 and found signs of fibrosis even in those who had had no symptoms. Writing in the journal Lancet Infectious Diseases last April, scientists said it was unclear if these lung changes were “irreversible”.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 46671.html
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

The Pope, & the Bimbot ... both infallible
towny

Post by towny »

Sefton wrote:
towny wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:Has anyone seen any actual scientific evidence that the virus is weaker in warm weather? So far as I understand it that wasn’t much more than assumption based on virus structure (lipid shell, so weaker in warmer weather). It was a hope rather than any hard science.
I think there are reasons why there is a ‘flu season’ - must be science on that.
It’s not flu.
No shit. But people catch it the same way, right? And the previous crises caused by previous coronavirus outbreaks all happened around the same time of year, right? F*cking flu season.

This place.... pedant circle jerk. I can imagine the little fist pump from your little fist when you typed this post. “Got him, Mum!!! Hazzah!! He thinks it’s the flu!!”
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

towny wrote:
Sefton wrote:
towny wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:Has anyone seen any actual scientific evidence that the virus is weaker in warm weather? So far as I understand it that wasn’t much more than assumption based on virus structure (lipid shell, so weaker in warmer weather). It was a hope rather than any hard science.
I think there are reasons why there is a ‘flu season’ - must be science on that.
It’s not flu.
No shit. But people catch it the same way, right? And the previous crises caused by previous coronavirus outbreaks all happened around the same time of year, right? F*cking flu season.

This place.... pedant circle jerk. I can imagine the little fist pump from your little fist when you typed this post. “Got him, Mum!!! Hazzah!! He thinks it’s the flu!!”
Never go full Mog.
Or is it an Ozzy thing?
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

Sandstorm wrote:
Rinkals wrote:

If you've tested positive, it means you are unlikely to get it?

I honestly didn't know that.

I thought if you were tested positive, it meant that there was a very good chance that you had it. You learn something every day. Likewise it's interesting that getting it means that you are unlikely to suffer health problems, long term or otherwise.
Is that supposed to be sarcastic?
Yes.

Sorry.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Haven't been following what's been going on in the UK, except noticed that social distancing is going to be pretty much removed in pubs.

Is the outbreak over there? Won't it just come back and smash everything, given it'll start cooling down soon and everyone will be inside?
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

Bindi wrote:Haven't been following what's been going on in the UK, except noticed that social distancing is going to be pretty much removed in pubs.

Is the outbreak over there? Won't it just come back and smash everything, given it'll start cooling down soon and everyone will be inside?
Cooling down? It's 30 celcius here tomorrow! The summer has only really just started.

But yeah, pubs could well cause issues and local flare ups - there will be social distancing measures, but once football and alcohol are in play, you'd expect people to lapse here.

Then again, all the recent protest don't seem to have caused big outbreaks, so who knows. And Boris has said he's taking responsibility for any issues, so that's that sorted....
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

towny wrote:
Sefton wrote:
towny wrote:
It’s not flu.

Not sure how relevant this is.

[url]https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.wwl ... /amp//[url]
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Salanya wrote:
Bindi wrote:Haven't been following what's been going on in the UK, except noticed that social distancing is going to be pretty much removed in pubs.

Cooling down? It's 30 celcius here tomorrow! The summer has only really just started.

But yeah, pubs could well cause issues and local flare ups - there will be social distancing measures, but once football and alcohol are in play, you'd expect people to lapse here.

Then again, all the recent protest don't seem to have caused big outbreaks, so who knows. And Boris has said he's taking responsibility for any issues, so that's that sorted....
Summer only goes for 7 days, right?

Protests were (presumably) outside. People jam packed in tiny British pubs yelling at each other over the noise is inviting disaster IMO. From afar, it just seems bizarre.

Do they expect the virus to play nice now because it did so much damage earlier in the year? It's kicked off again in the US, and I just can't see why it wouldn't be even worse in the UK given the crowding.
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

earl the beaver wrote:
Winnie wrote:I see Novak Djokovic has tested positive now
Good, the anti-vaxxer kbob.
Novax Djocovid :blush:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Another good news day for the state of QLD.

Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

YAAAYYYYYY. Today we received our JPY200,000 (Y100,000 each) gift from PM Abe.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

It was supposed to be between 40-60% by now. The sad thing is like the UK they still have quite a few people dying every day

Just 6.1% of Swedes have developed coronavirus antibodies, study finds despite country's hopes of achieving herd immunity by forgoing lockdown

Sweden's loose approach to lockdown during the coronavirus pandemic has resulted in fewer Swedes developing antibodies to the virus than anticipated, a study found.

Sweden has opted for a more liberal strategy during the pandemic as much of Europe hunkered down behind closed doors.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 20-UK.html
Homer

Post by Homer »

Anonymous. wrote:It was supposed to be between 40-60% by now. The sad thing is like the UK they still have quite a few people dying every day

Just 6.1% of Swedes have developed coronavirus antibodies, study finds despite country's hopes of achieving herd immunity by forgoing lockdown

Sweden's loose approach to lockdown during the coronavirus pandemic has resulted in fewer Swedes developing antibodies to the virus than anticipated, a study found.

Sweden has opted for a more liberal strategy during the pandemic as much of Europe hunkered down behind closed doors.
What this ignores is that many people may have immunity without having developed antibodies.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

So the evidence is pointing to the best defence against catching Covid19 is:

1) Hot, humid conditions
2) UV light
3) Cocktail of drugs
4) 1+ meter social distancing

It's just like '98 again and us straight blokes going to the best gay nightclubs!! Oi! Oi! Top choooon!!!! :o
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Sandstorm wrote:
It's just like '98 again and us straight blokes going to the best gay nightclubs!!
The best thing about that is how welcome y'all are...honest.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

AND-y wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
It's just like '98 again and us straight blokes going to the best gay nightclubs!!
:lol: :thumbup:
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

EverReady

Post by EverReady »

AND-y wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
The little sneaky looks at my nob in the jack's confirms this.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

EverReady wrote:
AND-y wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Sneaky? Those lads were never subtle in my experience. :lol:
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Homer wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:It was supposed to be between 40-60% by now. The sad thing is like the UK they still have quite a few people dying every day

What this ignores is that many people may have immunity without having developed antibodies.
What's this based on?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Sandstorm wrote:
EverReady wrote:
AND-y wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
I didn't want to say but the look at the nob and the staring I to your eyes often led me to leave the jack's with a piss spot on my jeans. A piss spot and thoughts about what might have been
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

JM2K6 wrote:
Homer wrote:

What's this based on?
It's been fairly well established that people who have tested positive have later tested negative for antibodies. Seems to be the asymptomatic crew. Was that case of the doctor whose husband got fücked up ICU stylie and she tested positive with no symptoms a few times. Husband survived and then antibody test lights up but hers was negative
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

JM2K6 wrote:
Homer wrote:

What's this based on?
I believe there's some suggestion (don't know if it's confirmed), that some people have developed different antigens than those being tested for. But given we don't know A) Which are being tested for. B) If this is even true. and C) Can assume that these cases are a significant minority regardless, it's not going to turn 7% into 70% any time soon.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Homer wrote:

The hope of the right lives on :lol: :lol:
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

EverReady wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Homer wrote:

What's this based on?
It's been fairly well established that people who have tested positive have later tested negative for antibodies. Seems to be the asymptomatic crew. Was that case of the doctor whose husband got fücked up ICU stylie and she tested positive with no symptoms a few times. Husband survived and then antibody test lights up but hers was negative
Is that not just an issue with the timing? Antibodies not hanging around very long.

I don't think being asymptomatic is the same as being immune either. Immunity would be a very big deal. Asymptomatic means you still might be at risk, and you're still potentially a risk to others.

Raggs: Cheers. Sounds awfully thin.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Nowhere near over. 280 deaths and 921 new cases reported yesterday. Boris Johnson is desperate to be seen as the good guy, so he wants people to be in a good mood with him. He doesn't give a toss about next year, only next week. So he's prepared for many people to die. Typified by his answer to a Brighton MP yesterday who asked him about the dangers along the seafront, chokepoints for contacts etc - Johnson's answer was 'Show some guts'. That's a quote btw.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

EverReady wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
EverReady wrote:
AND-y wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
I didn't want to say but the look at the nob and the staring I to your eyes often led me to leave the jack's with a piss spot on my jeans. A piss spot and thoughts about what might have been
Your dick is clearly just that good. Not ancestral Irish I take it?
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

themaddog wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Winnie wrote:I see Novak Djokovic has tested positive now
Good, the anti-vaxxer kbob.
Novax Djocovid :blush:
Or even Novavax.

Although I doubt they will be the winner in the vaccine stakes.
Homer

Post by Homer »

JM2K6 wrote:
Homer wrote:

What's this based on?
It's nothing new or unique to Covid-19, but you can have immunity to a disease without having contracted it due to T-cell response.

Plenty of articles available online, with studies showing some people have a T-cell response which fights off the disease.

This one summarises it quite well https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05 ... m-immunity

Like pretty much everything associated with this disease, it raises more questions than answers..