Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
Homer

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Homer »

Anonymous. wrote:
Homer wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:It was supposed to be between 40-60% by now. The sad thing is like the UK they still have quite a few people dying every day

Just 6.1% of Swedes have developed coronavirus antibodies, study finds despite country's hopes of achieving herd immunity by forgoing lockdown

Sweden's loose approach to lockdown during the coronavirus pandemic has resulted in fewer Swedes developing antibodies to the virus than anticipated, a study found.

Sweden has opted for a more liberal strategy during the pandemic as much of Europe hunkered down behind closed doors.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 20-UK.html
What this ignores is that many people may have immunity without having developed antibodies.
The hope of the right lives on :lol: :lol:
?? I'm certainly not right wing, but it would be pretty weird to ignore a whole category of immunity. How many people have this immunity is unknown, but there is a theory that there may be a link with exposure to other coronaviruses (and the opportunity to use this in developing a covid-19 vaccine).
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Anonymous. wrote:
Homer wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:It was supposed to be between 40-60% by now. The sad thing is like the UK they still have quite a few people dying every day

Just 6.1% of Swedes have developed coronavirus antibodies, study finds despite country's hopes of achieving herd immunity by forgoing lockdown

Sweden's loose approach to lockdown during the coronavirus pandemic has resulted in fewer Swedes developing antibodies to the virus than anticipated, a study found.

Sweden has opted for a more liberal strategy during the pandemic as much of Europe hunkered down behind closed doors.
What this ignores is that many people may have immunity without having developed antibodies.
Eh? Homer doesn't post much politically but enough to show he's not right wing and fairly anti-Tory. Also Sweden has a reputation as a very left wing country, their government is about as left wing as any in Europe. Making it a right vs left thing, inaccurately at that, seems to be only in your head.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Homer wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Homer wrote:

?? I'm certainly not right wing, but it would be pretty weird to ignore a whole category of immunity. How many people have this immunity is unknown, but there is a theory that there may be a link with exposure to other coronaviruses (and the opportunity to use this in developing a covid-19 vaccine).
Surely the number of people having this immunity is unknown because it's never been seen? Wouldn't it be more likely that 94% of Swedes don't have antibodies because they haven't caught it yet?

Are there people who have had a positive test for the virus (not one of the shit early tests) and not developed antibodies?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Are there people who have had a positive test for the virus (not one of the shit early tests) and not developed antibodies?

Yes , huge %’s if not the majority.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

bimboman wrote:

Link?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

AND-y wrote: Your dick is clearly just that good. Not ancestral Irish I take it?
I have a little pre piss tug out in the car park. I am not an amateur
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Raggs wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Link?
Still like to see this link.

Anyway, been looking at India. Their numbers are clearly not believable. Checked out the extra 1400 deaths they added in, they came from one state (which is only about 10% of the population), and were actually from March and April.

That number alone more than doubles what India were reporting as total deaths due to coronavirus by the end of April.

I dread to think how many have actually died from it.
Saint

Post by Saint »

bimboman wrote:

Really?

Mrs Saint is testing positive for antibodies despite never having been symptomatic fwiw. The interesting thing us that she must have seen over 200 different patients over the last 3 months, and been in close proximity, and none have died from Coronavirus.....
Last edited by Saint on Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Raggs wrote:
Raggs wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Link?

Anyway, been looking at India. Their numbers are clearly not believable. Checked out the extra 1400 deaths they added in, they came from one state (which is only about 10% of the population), and were actually from March and April.

That number alone more than doubles what India were reporting as total deaths due to coronavirus by the end of April.

Like I said a week ago, it's very unlikely India has the first idea how many cases they have, let alone deaths.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Saint wrote:Like I said a week ago, it's very unlikely India has the first idea how many cases they have, let alone deaths.
Oh I know, I agreed I believe, but looking at the explanation of the extra deaths they added was scary. Deaths from ages ago, from a relatively small part of the population, that had to wait for approval from an auditing group before being released...
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

3 vaccines have started or are about to start phase III trials. Getting closer to the solution to all this.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/24/heal ... index.html
Saint

Post by Saint »

Bindi wrote:3 vaccines have started or are about to start phase III trials. Getting closer to the solution to all this.

The Imperial vaccine is about to move forwards as well. Given the problems of trying to manufacture enough vaccines to cover a significant percentage of the world, we're going to need a lot of options
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Saint wrote:
Bindi wrote:3 vaccines have started or are about to start phase III trials. Getting closer to the solution to all this.

The Imperial vaccine is about to move forwards as well. Given the problems of trying to manufacture enough vaccines to cover a significant percentage of the world, we're going to need a lot of options
I've read this a bit, but don't understand why. The same vaccine can be manufactured in multiple places - particularly ones like the above that aren't based on new tech. India will probably do most of it. China too presumably.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Bindi wrote:
Saint wrote:

I've read this a bit, but don't understand why. The same vaccine can be manufactured in multiple places - particularly ones like the above that aren't based on new tech. India will probably do most of it. China too presumably.
It's about industrial processes. Historically there was really only one way of making a vaccine - weaken the full strength virus, then produce that in quantity from a central culture. It's one if many reasons why it would take so long to develop a safe vaccine in the first place as you had to work out how far was needed to weaken the live virus, while leaving it strong enough to generate the minimum required antibody response.

The vaccines in trial work very differently from this. There's a variety of methods, and therefore manufacturing, but they tend to rely on using an inert, deactivated virus with a genetic modification that makes them resemble the Coronavirus. The specific focus has tended towards the protein spikes on the outer shell in this case.

The traditional method effectively requires factories to be built from scratch. The new methods allow factories to be repurposed. So if you have multiple vaccines we can repurpose more existing factories rapidly to spin up a global quantity
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Raggs wrote:
Raggs wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Link?

Why? India is doing well because their deaths per million is way lower than say right wing Sweden...[/anon]
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

eldanielfire wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Homer wrote:

Eh? Homer doesn't post much politically but enough to show he's not right wing and fairly anti-Tory. Also Sweden has a reputation as a very left wing country, their government is about as left wing as any in Europe. Making it a right vs left thing, inaccurately at that, seems to be only in your head.
And Trump was one of the people trashing them as well.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Clogs wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Raggs wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Link?

Why? India is doing well because their deaths per million is way lower than say right wing Sweden...[/anon]
Not following this but I saw a report on the news with a doctor in India saying out of 45 covid-19 deaths the authorities only added 7 to the covid totals. The country is fucked and sadly for Sweden they are as fucked as the UK. Probably worse
Clive Simms

Post by Clive Simms »

Lots of talk about Sweden but Belarus is just as interesting and more pertinent in terms of no lockdown. Cases tapering off at a fair rate now very similar day by day decreases to UK
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Anonymous. wrote:
Clogs wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Link?

Not following this but I saw a report on the news with a doctor in India saying out of 45 covid-19 deaths the authorities only added 7 to the covid totals. The country is fucked and sadly for Sweden they are as fucked as the UK. Probably worse[/quote]

I may have it wrong and apologies if I do, but I thought you were one the posters that was using the deaths per million measure as a means to define winners and losers.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Clive Simms wrote:Lots of talk about Sweden but Belarus is just as interesting and more pertinent in terms of no lockdown. Cases tapering off at a fair rate now very similar day by day decreases to UK

Israel went into a lockdown. As a result they were beating Sweden. Nek minute...
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Clogs wrote: I may have it wrong and apologies if I do, but I thought you were one the posters that was using the deaths per million measure as a means to define winners and losers.
As you well know I was comparing Nordic countries by whichever measure against each other. I wouldn't compare India with anyone anyway as they seem to be seriously under reporting their covid-19 deaths
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

8 days with zero new cases in the State of QLD, and only two current active cases. Not bad for a jurisdiction with a populations roughly the same as Ireland's.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote:8 days with zero new cases in the State of QLD, and only two current active cases. Not bad for a jurisdiction with a populations roughly the same as Ireland's.
:lol:
Uhoh. Getting in a few last minute niggles before shutdown?
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

‘’In the absence of the Coronavirus briefing, here are today’s deaths:

Germany 0
Belgium 9
Netherlands 2
Portugal 3
Switzerland 2
Austria 0
Denmark 0

UK 152’’
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

eldanielfire wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Homer wrote:

What has the right championing the Swedish no lockdown policy got to do with the Swedish rep for being left or right.

BTW

Things might have changed but the last poll I can see has a far right party as the most popular party in Sweden
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Insane_Homer wrote:‘’In the absence of the Coronavirus briefing, here are today’s deaths:

Germany 0
Belgium 9
Netherlands 2
Portugal 3
Switzerland 2
Austria 0
Denmark 0

UK 152’’
If you're going to be a dick on the thread, at least get the figures right. Worldometers has Germany on 17 yesterday.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Margin_Walker wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:‘’In the absence of the Coronavirus briefing, here are today’s deaths:

Germany 0
Belgium 9
Netherlands 2
Portugal 3
Switzerland 2
Austria 0
Denmark 0
Sweden 48

UK 152’’
If you're going to be a dick on the thread, at least get the figures right. Worldometers has Germany on 17 yesterday.
There is no hiding the fact that along with Sweden we are shit
Last edited by Anonymous 1 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Clive Simms wrote:Lots of talk about Sweden but Belarus is just as interesting and more pertinent in terms of no lockdown. Cases tapering off at a fair rate now very similar day by day decreases to UK
It seems to ahve started growing in sections of Eastern Europe.
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

Margin_Walker wrote:

Germany 0
Belgium 9
Netherlands 2
Portugal 3
Switzerland 2
Austria 0
Denmark 0

UK 152’’
:blush: and the UK at 154 but I guess you missed that bit ;)

and 2 days ago we were 280 :shock: Dept of health only announced 171
The 171 figure is a big jump on the 15 deaths reported on Monday, but there usually is a leap on a Tuesday after a lull in reporting over the weekend period.

It is worth noting the new cumulative total of 42,927 is actually up 280 on what was announced yesterday.

The government explain this as an adjustment made to include earlier deaths "due to improvements in how the Covid-19 death data is processed in England".
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Insane_Homer wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Germany 0
Belgium 9
Netherlands 2
Portugal 3
Switzerland 2
Austria 0
Denmark 0

UK 152’’

and 2 days ago we were 280 :shock:
I didn't miss anything thanks. The UK has performed poorly.

Facts still matter though for me, and it's important that criticism is factual and not misleading. I'm probably overly influence by a few idiots on my FB feed at the moment sharing rubbish like this

bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Some of which were over 1 month old. And not the day before at all. My region (east of England) for example has been between zero and 5 deaths for weeks now.

Will you update other countries when they announce their “catch up “ deaths?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Clogs wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:8 days with zero new cases in the State of QLD, and only two current active cases. Not bad for a jurisdiction with a populations roughly the same as Ireland's.
I think he thinks our numbers are the same as the UK’s or something. We’ve barely any active cases in the whole country either, 9 confirmed cases in ICU at present for the entire country, only one person hospitalised for Covid yesterday.
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

bimboman wrote:
Some of which were over 1 month old. And not the day before at all. My region (east of England) for example has been between zero and 5 deaths for weeks now.
We have the best reporting!? :thumbup:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Insane_Homer wrote:
bimboman wrote:

We do, and the most thorough of systems . It’s something to be pleased about.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Margin_Walker wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Germany 0
Belgium 9
Netherlands 2
Portugal 3
Switzerland 2
Austria 0
Denmark 0

UK 152’’

and 2 days ago we were 280 :shock:
I didn't miss anything thanks. The UK has performed poorly.

Facts still matter though for me, and it's important that criticism is factual and not misleading. I'm probably overly influence by a few idiots on my FB feed at the moment sharing rubbish like this

Why is that rubbish?

The UK are taking a risk. The graphic isn't misleading. Do you think you're further along towards suppression?

It now all depends on how disciplined the population is, particularly in indoor settings.
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

bimboman wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:
bimboman wrote:
We do, and the most thorough of systems . It’s something to be pleased about.
I'm sure it's right up there with our world leading track and trace app :roll:

Just now blindy gullible are you?

This government is consistently and conviently using these delayed reported death to annouce headline daily count that are misleading (not withstanding the testing stats which are at best laughable).
Last edited by Insane_Homer on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

now all depends on how disciplined the population is
I think we already know the answer to this
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

CM11 wrote:Why is that rubbish?

The UK are taking a risk. The graphic isn't misleading. Do you think you're further along towards suppression?

It now all depends on how disciplined the population is, particularly in indoor settings.
Sorry, we're very clearly not where the graphic points out. I don't think we're at stage 3 yet, but at the same time, we're nowhere near to just coming over the hump.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

CM11 wrote:
Why is that rubbish?

Of course a risk at this point. It's clear economic considerations are being balanced against scientific advice. That's a fair point.

We are absolutely not at the point of that arrow at the moment though, which is a completely unnecessary and unhelpful embellishment
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Clogs wrote:
And his favourite past time.
Trolling other nations about sickness, misery and death.