Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
Saint

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Saint »

Sandstorm wrote:
Saint wrote: treating Covid19 pneumonia.
I thought we had all moved away from calling it pneumonia because it's a vascular attack - not a respiratory one?

Whatever....anything that works to kick this wanker-of-a-virus to the curb is fine with me! :nod:
I think it's a shorthand phrase for describing the symptoms. Really interesting if true
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Leinster in London wrote:So it's sure to work on pigdogs!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Clive

Post by Clive »

Still no promotion of Vitamin D, which is a shame, another cheap readily available pill that would help black and asian people.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Clive wrote:Still no promotion of Vitamin D, which is a shame, another cheap readily available pill that would help black and asian people.

I suspect that there us a concern over Vit D overdosing. It's surprisingly easy and can have very bad long term effects
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Damn, one new case. Although this was a person who had returned home from the UK and was in forced quarantine in a hotel. All our recent cases in QLD have been returning visitors, which just shows how vital it was to close our borders and strictly enforce quarantine.

Clive

Post by Clive »

Saint wrote:
Clive wrote:Still no promotion of Vitamin D, which is a shame, another cheap readily available pill that would help black and asian people.

I suspect that there us a concern over Vit D overdosing. It's surprisingly easy and can have very bad long term effects
Like all things if Vit D was promoted correctly then this issue would be resolved, one daily dose would help, but It seems that this has passed the Gov by, Death rate amongst British Asians is huge, a group of people that would benefit not a cure all but a helping hand.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Upto 70% of critically ill covid sufferers can suffer brain damage and strokes.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/new- ... 80921.html

Scary stuff. I imagine a large portion of this would be due to the clots.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Clive wrote:
Saint wrote:

Like all things if Vit D was promoted correctly then this issue would be resolved, one daily dose would help, but It seems that this has passed the Gov by, Death rate amongst British Asians is huge, a group of people that would benefit not a cure all but a helping hand.
SAGE are probably looking up Vitamin D on Google as we speak.
piquant

Post by piquant »

Saint wrote:

And it's not just vit D levels, it's the accessibility of those levels or active presence of those levels in the body I thought.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Supposedly this is a better study that a lot of the other ones, they double tested people.

More detail here;
Almost 1,500 residents of the Tyrolean community of Ischgl were tested for the new corona virus and SARS-CoV-2 antibodies at the end of April 2020. The first results from the study conducted by the Medical University of Innsbruck and previously unpublished are now available. The focus of the investigation was the determination of the epidemic of the Ischgl population and the validation of specific antibody test procedures.

79 percent of the people from Ischgl had agreed to take part in the study from April 21 to 27, 2020, so that 1,473 test subjects (1,259 adults, 214 children) from 479 households for the PCR and antibody testing to determine existing or surviving infections, as well as to survey symptoms and course of infection. Since Ischgl is a community that has been affected above average by the current corona pandemic due to so-called superspreading events and was closed to the environment due to the strict quarantine measures, the population-based cross-sectional study can provide important insights into the spread of viruses and the course of infections . With regard to the detection of antibodies, however, the study is not representative of the entire Austrian population. “This is a lighthouse study with thankfully very high participation from the Ischgl population. The findings will help to plan future examinations better and to make the use of antibody tests even safer, ”said the rector of the Medical University of Innsbruck, W. Wolfgang Fleischhacker.

Key results

The seroprevalence * (antibodies against SARS-CoV-2) of the Ischgl study participants is 42.4 percent (in children under 18 years: 27%). This is the central finding of the antibody study, which was carried out under the direction of the virologist Dorothee von Laer, director of the Institute of Virology at the Medical University of Innsbruck. “In Ischgl we are dealing with the highest seroprevalence ever demonstrated in a study. Even if this does not imply herd immunity, the population of Ischgl should still be largely protected, ”says study leader von Laer about the result.

The proportion of people tested seropositively is thus about six times higher (ten times higher in children) than the number of people who previously tested positive by PCR, the rate of officially reported cases is thus only 15 percent of those actually infected. The number of undocumented cases that have not been tested due to an asymptomatic or mild course of infection can only be demonstrated with antibody tests. "We assumed a high rate of undocumented cases before the start of the study and, as in other hotspots, it has now been confirmed," said von Laer.

For Peter Willeit, epidemiologist at the Innsbruck University Clinic of Neurology, the study is of particular importance: “In no other study did such a high percentage of study participants have antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 in their blood. In Val Gardena, for example, the percentage was 27 percent, in a study in Geneva around 10 percent. It is particularly interesting about the results of the study in Ischgl that a large number of people with antibodies were identified as corona cases only by the study. This underlines the importance of performing antibody studies, ”comments Willeit.

Using a questionnaire, the study was also able to draw careful conclusions about the course of the infection. The majority of the seropositively tested study participants reported taste and smell disorders, followed by fever and cough. The infection was mostly asymptomatic among the seropositively tested children. Only nine adults among the study participants had to be treated in the hospital.

Tests on the test bench

The study also focused on the application safety of the test methods for the detection of antibodies. These protein molecules, so-called immunoglobulins, are formed by the immune system to fight pathogens and other foreign substances. "In order to be able to detect the SARS-CoV-2-specific immunoglobulins IgA and IgG in the blood, we have established a three-step procedure with maximum sensitivity and practically 100 percent specificity", von Laer describes the new test strategy. Two highly sensitive ELISA tests (immunoassay method based on an enzymatic color reaction) were used, the negative results of which were assessed as finally negative. Consistently positive results were assessed as "evidence of past infection with SARS-CoV-2". Only one ELISA was positive, the other one was negative a neutralization test was carried out for further clarification.

The question of immunity and how long carriers of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies are protected from infection has not been resolved by this study either. "It would certainly make sense to continue to support the Ischgl cohort and to re-examine the seroprevalence at a later date," said Rector Fleischhacker.
- children again less likely to have it, though super spreading events in pubs may have impacted the numbers who got it there with locals serving drinks etc there with children less likely to be there
- IFR of just 0.3%. The sample would be skewed though and is a small enough sample
- the level of asymptomatic cases or untested positives is 6 times the noted positives amounts. That would give some credence to the estimates we heard during the peak in places like Italy of 10 times the number of real infections (I imagine this village was tested more than the general Italian population so would have detected more)
- even though lots of people had it, hospitals were nowhere near overrun

Interesting to see how these results look like two months later. There is suggestions of immunity not lasting that long which is crap news but on the upshot at least we can see a place with a widespread outbreak where there wasn't a truly devastating impact.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Or national programmes encouraging people that this is the time to get healthier.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Evidence that the virus is becoming less deadly for those hospitalised...

Coronavirus patients in hospital in England are dying at a slower rate now than they were at the peak of the epidemic, analysis suggests.
University of Oxford researchers found the proportion of coronavirus patients dying each day in England fell from 6% to 1.5% between April and June.
Improvements in treatments, changes in the patient population and seasonal effects could all play a role.
The data emerged as the government prepares to ease lockdown restrictions.
Around the height of the outbreak, on 8 April, there were 15,468 people in hospital in England with coronavirus of whom 899 died (6%).
By 21 June there were 2,698 hospitalised coronavirus patients, 30 of whom died (1%), according to the most recent data compiled University of Oxford's Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine.
Hospital case fatality is a measure used since the beginning of the outbreak, providing consistent figures and enabling researchers to look for trends.
While both the number of people in hospital and the number of hospitalised people dying are falling, deaths are falling at a faster rate.
The number of people in hospital with Covid-19 is halving every 29 days, while deaths are halving every 16 days.
Prof Carl Heneghan, who carried out the analysis, said the pattern of falling death rates in hospitals was also being seen in other countries, including Italy,
"We should be investigating what's changed," he said.
"It's a radically different disease we're looking at if the death rate is 1% rather than 6%".
He said that translated to a difference of 500 deaths a day in April when the disease was at its height.
"This is an encouraging trend but one that needs more work to understand the cause," his co-author Jason Oke said.
Although the researchers were unable to determine exactly what was behind the trend, they put forward a number of reasons.
Better treatment
One is that, as more is understood about the disease, healthcare staff have been better able to treat it using existing drugs, even without any major breakthrough in new treatments.
For example, doctors are now primed to expect patients with blood clotting and overactive immune responses, whereas in the early days they were looking to treat the symptoms of what was seen as primarily a respiratory disease.
And in critical care patients, the common steroid dexamethasone is now being used to dampen down the out-of-control immune reactions that can cause organ damage.
This is likely to be a key factor, but is unlikely to completely explain the falling death rate, according to Prof Heneghan.
It may also be down to changes in the types of patients admitted to hospital.
Less vulnerable patients
As strain on the NHS has eased, the researchers say it is possible that there is room to admit patients who would not have met the stricter threshold for hospital care at the height of the epidemic. And these patients may be slightly less vulnerable and therefore less likely to die.
More sombrely, it's also possible that the virus, having torn through the most vulnerable populations, has left behind people who were at lower risk to start with.
A further possibility is that there could be a group of patients in hospital for long periods, not being discharged but also not succumbing to the virus.
Summer might also be playing a protective role: there are fewer other illnesses in circulation to compromise people's immune systems, and more sunlight means more Vitamin D.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

They certainly seem more on top of treating the more critically ill people with a higher level of success.
If we find that it's also becoming less dangerous due to mutations, then that's even more promising news.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

Our fuhrer Drakeford is threatening to stop lifting restrictions if people don’t act sensibly.
C69

Post by C69 »

The guidance for BAME staff is to take Vit D supplements.
Loads of NHS Trusts are giving the staff it for free.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Bimboc69 wrote:

They cost pennies. :lol: Ffs is there nothing you people can do for yourselves ?
piquant

Post by piquant »

bimboman wrote:
Bimboc69 wrote:

They cost pennies. :lol: Ffs is there nothing you people can do for yourselves ?
Says the diabetic
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

piquant wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Bimboc69 wrote:

Says the diabetic

No medication, private doctors only. Not diabetic as I exercise and controlled my weight and diet.

All done by myself for myself. The NHS maintains and then kills diabetics.
piquant

Post by piquant »

bimboman wrote:
piquant wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Bimboc69 wrote:

Says the diabetic

No medication, private doctors only. Not diabetic as I exercise and controlled my weight and diet.

All done by myself for myself. The NHS maintains and then kills diabetics.
Many private doctors of course work in the NHS, and their training is often rather state funded. Though I don't really know anything about the NHS killing off diabetics, if it saddens you feel free to eat a doughnut or ten
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Many private doctors of course work in the NHS, and their training is often rather state funded. Though I don't really know anything about the NHS killing off diabetics, if it saddens you feel free to eat a doughnut or ten
Private GP services.

They’re not state funded, they’re Taxpayer funded.

I know you no nothing of diabetes, there’s a job as a diabetic nurse awaiting you though.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

bimboman wrote:
Private GP services.

I know you no nothing of diabetes, there’s a job as a diabetic nurse awaiting you though.
'They’re not state funded, they’re Taxpayer funded.'

Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Mrs just got the test. Likely a cold as no COVID in QLD, but have to be sure. Didn't sound like fun.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Bindi wrote:Mrs just got the test. Likely a cold as no COVID in QLD, but have to be sure. Didn't sound like fun.
Yeah, I have to get tested the moment I exhibit flu symptoms, and I'm really not keen to get skull-f**ked with a 6 inch swab.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Bindi wrote:Mrs just got the test. Likely a cold as no COVID in QLD, but have to be sure. Didn't sound like fun.
Yeah, I have to get tested the moment I exhibit flu symptoms, and I'm really not keen to get skull-f**ked with a 6 inch swab.
I’ve been there. It’ll bring a tear to the eye.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

ovalball wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Private GP services.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

guy smiley wrote:
ovalball wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Private GP services.

Bimbo's standard MO.

He uses semantics to turn the facts until they mirror his opinion. It's how you win on an Internet forum.
piquant

Post by piquant »

Rinkals wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
ovalball wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Private GP services.

Bimbo's standard MO.

He uses semantics to turn the facts until they mirror his opinion. It's how you win on an Internet forum.
That and equating no with know
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Rinkals wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
ovalball wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Private GP services.

Bimbo's standard MO.

The amusing thing is that he will genuinely not understand why we're laughing at him.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

He genuinely didn’t take a penny of taxpayer money to deal with diabetes healthy for a decade. He understands that the lefties can’t grasp anyone doing something for themselves.

General public “I’m going to take some vitamins” , - goes to Holland and Barret.

Public sector pines “I’m going to take some vitamins” , - goes to employer and gets the tax payer to pay for them.
Last edited by bimboman on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Test returned negative already. 7 hour turnaround. Quite impressive.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

bimboman wrote:He genuinely didn’t take a penny of taxpayer money to deal with diabetes healthy for a decade. He understands that the lefties can’t grasp anyone doing something for themselves.
He ?

Who are we talking about now ?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

ovalball wrote:
bimboman wrote:He genuinely didn’t take a penny of taxpayer money to deal with diabetes healthy for a decade. He understands that the lefties can’t grasp anyone doing something for themselves.
He ?

The same “he” you were comrade.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

bimboman wrote:
ovalball wrote:
He ?

So, just for clarity, this 'he' - is it you or not? Seems a very odd way to refer to yourself, if so.
C69

Post by C69 »

:lol: mad bastard
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

bimboman wrote:
ovalball wrote:
He ?

Comrade?

That sounds suspiciously like you are trying to undermine an argument by implying that your protagonist is a communist or shares communist ideals.

I'm not sure it's going to work.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Rinkals wrote:
bimboman wrote:
ovalball wrote:
He ?

Comrade?

That sounds suspiciously like you are trying to undermine an argument by implying that your protagonist is a communist or shares communist ideals.

You see a little traction this morning Rinkals with one of your snipes. Took about 2 weeks of trying.....

I’ll give you a little bit of attention this morning if you like.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Rinkals wrote:
bimboman wrote:
ovalball wrote:
He ?

Comrade?

It's certainly a very odd way to address an ex secretary of the Young Conservatives club :lol:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

It’s a fairly well trodden path Oval. Disappointed?
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

bimboman wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
bimboman wrote:
ovalball wrote:
He ?

Comrade?

You see a little traction this morning Rinkals with one of your snipes. Took about 2 weeks of trying.....

I’ll give you a little bit of attention this morning if you like.
Ah - he's going for the 'condescending' approach now. Excellent.