Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
Mahoney

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Mahoney »

dpedin wrote:
bimboman wrote:My region has lower deaths per 100,000 than Scotland. It’s in England.
.... and I can give you regions in Scotland that will have even lower numbers and have all but eradicated the virus! You are just getting silly now!!
I presume his point is that England is an order of magnitude bigger (population wise) than Scotland. Viruses obviously don't give a monkeys about nationality or constitutional history, so there's a level at which comparing England and Scotland is not comparing like with like. It might make more sense to carve up the UK into 12 areas with c. 5.5 million people and then compare to see which have done best and worst and try and work out why, rather than lumping 10 of them together as England and comparing those 10 with Scotland's 1.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

.... and I can give you regions in Scotland that will have even lower numbers and have all but eradicated the virus! You are just getting silly now!!

Are they the least or the most densely populated areas ?
dpedin

Post by dpedin »

Mahoney wrote:
dpedin wrote:
bimboman wrote:My region has lower deaths per 100,000 than Scotland. It’s in England.
I presume his point is that England is an order of magnitude bigger (population wise) than Scotland. Viruses obviously don't give a monkeys about nationality or constitutional history, so there's a level at which comparing England and Scotland is not comparing like with like. It might make more sense to carve up the UK into 12 areas with c. 5.5 million people and then compare to see which have done best and worst and try and work out why, rather than lumping 10 of them together as England and comparing those 10 with Scotland's 1.
Now you are just being sensible!

I was merely responding to some disparaging guff from Bimbo about the relative success or failures of the various UK governments performance in dealing with covid19 and thought it would be fun to challenge him with actual data and numbers to show him why he was so far off the mark. It was something stupid to do about identical policies, devolved responsibilities and jibes about 'Parish Council' etc. Its just a bit of good fun nailing him down with some facts and figures and watching the argument explode into personal attacks. Im bored working at home and I enjoy winding him up!

However the argument is that the different UK policies and how they have implemented and communicated them have led to a different set of outcomes in terms of covid deaths across the 4 UK countries and excess deaths across Europe. Allowing for lock down being implemented at different rates of spread across the UK I do believe there is a serious question about Englands poor outcomes and in particular the excess death rate in the 45-64 year olds which really stands out across Europe!
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

dpedin wrote:
Mahoney wrote:
dpedin wrote:

I was merely responding to some disparaging guff from Bimbo about the relative success or failures of the various UK governments performance in dealing with covid19 and thought it would be fun to challenge him with actual data and numbers to show him why he was so far off the mark. It was something stupid to do about identical policies, devolved responsibilities and jibes about 'Parish Council' etc. Its just a bit of good fun nailing him down with some facts and figures and watching the argument explode into personal attacks. Im bored working at home and I enjoy winding him up!

However the argument is that the different UK policies and how they have implemented and communicated them have led to a different set of outcomes in terms of covid deaths across the 4 UK countries and excess deaths across Europe. Allowing for lock down being implemented at different rates of spread across the UK I do believe there is a serious question about Englands poor outcomes and in particular the excess death rate in the 45-64 year olds which really stands out across Europe!
You're still taking as though this is finished. Talking as though Scotland will 'eradicate' the virus, somehow.
There's no cure, and it won't go away.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

dpedin wrote:
Mahoney wrote:
dpedin wrote:

Ok, what difference in actual policy led to the current difference in deaths between the 4 different regions.

Oh, and you don’t wind me up, you amuse me with your nasty nationalist agenda, based on othering and bigotry...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The Brits are really getting stuck into each other on this thread, like feral cats in a hessian sack, Its great to watch guys, genuine hatred and contempt :thumbup:
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Ali's Choice wrote:The Brits are really getting stuck into each other on this thread, like feral cats in a hessian sack, Its great to watch guys, genuine hatred and contempt :thumbup:
The English got a bit snotty when I asked what the differences were that meant Scotland had reduced cases substantially more than England. They don’t seem willing to examine mistakes.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Biffer29 wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:The Brits are really getting stuck into each other on this thread, like feral cats in a hessian sack, Its great to watch guys, genuine hatred and contempt :thumbup:
The English got a bit snotty when I asked what the differences were that meant Scotland had reduced cases substantially more than England. They don’t seem willing to examine mistakes.
I've experienced exactly the same thing on this thread - so that's why I rarely post on it. I asked an innocent question about their quarantine policy and was accused of trolling dead people. Apparently any questioning of the UK govt's handling of COVID-19 equates to gleefully trolling dead people.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Biffer29 wrote:

Before we deal with “mistakes” can we examine the differences in policy between Scotland and England have ? The errors should then be easy to spot.
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Before we deal with “mistakes” can we examine the differences in policy between Scotland and England have ? The errors should then be easy to spot.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... rn-ireland

28 May
England
Groups of up to six people can meet outside from Monday in public and private outdoor spaces, including gardens. Physical distancing including staying 2 metres apart must be observed if those meetings involve members of different households.

People are only allowed to be inside the homes of friends and families in order to access gardens.

Some schools will reopen to some pupils from Monday, with nurseries, reception, year 1 and year 6 leading the way. On 15 June, secondary schools will begin to provide face-to-face contact time for years 10 and 12.

Outdoor retail spaces can reopen on Monday, followed by other non-essential retail outlets on 15 June.

A government easing of lockdown rules since the middle of May has meant outdoor exercise has been encouraged, as long as physical distancing is respected and activities occur only with a maximum of one other person from another household.

Those who can work from home have meanwhile been told to continue to do so, but those who cannot have been told to travel, while avoiding public transport if they can.
Scotland
Scotland’s first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, confirmed at her daily press briefing on Thursday that she would proceed with phase 1 of the Scottish government’s four-stage plan for moving out of lockdown, while insisting that the stay-at-home message remained core to new guidance.

From Friday, Scots will be able to meet with members of one other household. This must happen outdoors, in parks or private gardens, and while observing social distancing, and the total number of people meeting should be a maximum of eight. There is also a strong recommendation not to meet more than one other household per day. People will be allowed to travel – preferably by walking or cycling – for recreation or visits, with a suggested limit of five miles, although Sturgeon has said that people should “use their judgment”. Sitting or sunbathing in parks will be permitted, as will many outdoor non-contact sports including golf, fishing, tennis and bowls.

In terms of business, most outdoor work that has been put on hold can resume. Garden centres and recycling facilities are also allowed to reopen, while takeaway and drive-through food outlets will no longer be discouraged. From Monday, teachers can return to schools to prepare for the start of the new school year on 11 August, when pupils will begin a “blended” model of at home and in school learning. From Wednesday, child minding services and fully outdoor nurseries will begin to reopen.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

That’s what I originally asked before you and message got up on your f**king high horses.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Insane_Homer wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... rn-ireland

28 May
England
Groups of up to six people can meet outside from Monday in public and private outdoor spaces, including gardens. Physical distancing including staying 2 metres apart must be observed if those meetings involve members of different households.

People are only allowed to be inside the homes of friends and families in order to access gardens.

Some schools will reopen to some pupils from Monday, with nurseries, reception, year 1 and year 6 leading the way. On 15 June, secondary schools will begin to provide face-to-face contact time for years 10 and 12.

Outdoor retail spaces can reopen on Monday, followed by other non-essential retail outlets on 15 June.

A government easing of lockdown rules since the middle of May has meant outdoor exercise has been encouraged, as long as physical distancing is respected and activities occur only with a maximum of one other person from another household.

Those who can work from home have meanwhile been told to continue to do so, but those who cannot have been told to travel, while avoiding public transport if they can.
Scotland
Scotland’s first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, confirmed at her daily press briefing on Thursday that she would proceed with phase 1 of the Scottish government’s four-stage plan for moving out of lockdown, while insisting that the stay-at-home message remained core to new guidance.

From Friday, Scots will be able to meet with members of one other household. This must happen outdoors, in parks or private gardens, and while observing social distancing, and the total number of people meeting should be a maximum of eight. There is also a strong recommendation not to meet more than one other household per day. People will be allowed to travel – preferably by walking or cycling – for recreation or visits, with a suggested limit of five miles, although Sturgeon has said that people should “use their judgment”. Sitting or sunbathing in parks will be permitted, as will many outdoor non-contact sports including golf, fishing, tennis and bowls.

In terms of business, most outdoor work that has been put on hold can resume. Garden centres and recycling facilities are also allowed to reopen, while takeaway and drive-through food outlets will no longer be discouraged. From Monday, teachers can return to schools to prepare for the start of the new school year on 11 August, when pupils will begin a “blended” model of at home and in school learning. From Wednesday, child minding services and fully outdoor nurseries will begin to reopen.

I’m struggling to find the “huge difference “ in deaths from June 30th. (This May happen and we can cite he above).

You realise the changes you’ve cited above won’t show in the numbers we’re discussing?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Biffer29 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

That’s what I originally asked before you and message got up on your f**king high horses.

What policy differences ?
message #2527204

Biffer29 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

If mine is high then yours is a f**king giraffe :lol:

The biggest 'mistake' will be Krankie playing politics at the hieight of the crisis whilst scottish care homes were being condemned to the highest percentage covid deaths of any of the 4 regions of the UK.
dpedin

Post by dpedin »

Biffer29 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Oh you've done it now ... expect the wrath of Bimbo to be brought down upon you!!!
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

dpedin wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Oh you've done it now ... expect the wrath of Bimbo to be brought down upon you!!!

No wrath (that’s just avoidance from you as usual) , what policy differences?
dpedin

Post by dpedin »

message #2527204 wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

The biggest 'mistake' will be Krankie playing politics at the hieight of the crisis whilst scottish care homes were being condemned to the highest percentage covid deaths of any of the 4 regions of the UK.
You are correct in that there was a higher % of deaths in care homes in Scotland than there were in England. However 77% of all covid19 deaths in Scotland were in population aged 75 or over, in England and Wales it is 75% of those aged 75 or over. The English figure is probably skewed by the significantly higher number of deaths in England in the 45-64 age population. There were more deaths of 75+ year olds in hospital in England rather than in care homes - is this not also an issue? So place of death might vary (need to check how these are recorded) but the outcomes were essentially the same for this age group? To be honest regardless of where they died no country looked after their old folk very well!
message #2527204

dpedin wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

You are correct in that there was a higher % of deaths in care homes in Scotland than there were in England. However 77% of all covid19 deaths in Scotland were in population aged 75 or over, in England and Wales it is 75% of those aged 75 or over. The English figure is probably skewed by the significantly higher number of deaths in England in the 45-64 age population. There were more deaths of 75+ year olds in hospital in England rather than in care homes - is this not also an issue? So place of death might vary (need to check how these are recorded) but the outcomes were essentially the same for this age group? To be honest regardless of where they died no country looked after their old folk very well!
But they would have been better off anywhere else in the UK than a scottish care home? And Sturgeon waited a week after Hancock, just to be different?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I take heart from the fact that deaths seem under control despite the epidemic still spreading. Of course, stats are potentially inaccurate but on that volume I think we can read trends. And the trend seem to says that either the virus is getting weaker or we know how to treat sick people better. The consequence is that we are unlikely to find ourselves in the situation we were in back in March where ICUs were overwhelmed with demand and lockdown was the only option.

My concern though is that people in many parts of the world where restrictions have been eased off, seem to have forgotten all about the threat and live without precautions.
dpedin

Post by dpedin »

bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Bimbo - you do realise that it is all about outcomes? Covid19 related deaths, excess death rates, number of cases, etc are all the important stuff. Trying to avoid the numbers and the data can't go on forever. The UK has one of the worst records for comparable countries in relation to managing the impact of covid19 and within the UK England stands out as the worst performer of the 4 UK countries. Own it.

There will be some justifiable reasons to explain Englands poor outcome measures i.e. lock down came too late for London, but there has been monumental mismanagement of the crisis in England and the UK led by Shamcock and the Blonde Bumblecunt which has only made matters worse i.e. awful communications, not closing down airports quicker, not going to lock down quicker, spaffing money up the wall on an app that never worked, dreadful centralised test and trace via Serco and led by the failed Talk Talk CEO, etc. Whilst we can argue the toss about specific elements of this the bottom line is the huge number of covid19 deaths, excess deaths, etc whichever way you want to measure the outcomes they are awful and were avoidable given we had advance warning about this from Italy and Spain.
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

bimboman wrote:I’m struggling to find the “huge difference “ in deaths from June 30th. (This May happen and we can cite he above).

You realise the changes you’ve cited above won’t show in the numbers we’re discussing?
Scotland records no deaths for fourth day running
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... g-12017358

0 v 469 in rest of UK, meanwhile in Leicester...
Last edited by Insane_Homer on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

So you’re asking me the question that I asked? Well done.

The most obvious one is England coming out of lockdown earlier. Sending kids back to school. Opening shops. Not publishing a clear phased approach to lifting lockdown.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

The most obvious one is England coming out of lockdown earlier. Sending kids back to school. Opening shops. Not publishing a clear phased approach to lifting lockdown.
We are discussing death comparison from before the 15th June though, changes to lockdown would only NOW be showing in infection and deaths. (Leicester could become this). But no death comparison stands up to changes from 2 weeks ago.

Anything else? Or maybe nationality isn’t an actual factor.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

bimboman wrote:
We are discussing death comparison from before the 15th June though, changes to lockdown would only NOW be showing in infection and deaths. (Leicester could become this). But no death comparison stands up to changes from 2 weeks ago.

It is.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Biffer29 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

It is.

Great, what policy differences caused the difference in deaths some Scottish posters are alluding to though.

Ie not the future deaths and infections.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

bimboman wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

It is.

Great, what policy differences caused the difference in deaths some Scottish posters are alluding to though.

Ie not the future deaths and infections.
So a policy difference is contributing to current deaths and infections.

That was what I originally asked about.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Biffer29 wrote:

By 'English' do you actually mean Bimbo and Message. Who else has been 'snotty' ? There's been plenty of English on here complaining about the Government's handling of the crisis.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

ovalball wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

By 'English' do you actually mean Bimbo and Message. Who else has been 'snotty' ? There's been plenty of English on here complaining about the Government's handling of the crisis.
Yeah, sorry for that. It's all too easy to generalise.
dpedin

Post by dpedin »

'But they would have been better off anywhere else in the UK than a scottish care home? And Sturgeon waited a week after Hancock, just to be different?'

Message - did you read my post? Perhaps I need to explain for you ...

You could equally argue they would be less well off in an English hospital than in a care home as more old folk died there than anywhere else in England! The reality is that roughly the same % of covid19 deaths in both countries were in the 75 year old age group but that more of them in England were in hospital or at home than in care homes whereas in Scotland more were in care homes than in hospital or at home. Place of death doesn't not distract from the fact that the same % of total covid19 deaths of 75+ year olds died in Scotland as in England. Both countries had the same outcomes!

Given the above what's the point you are trying to make? Are you suggesting that less folk would have died in Scotland if they weren't in care homes? If thats the case then surely the opposite applies to England in that less folk would have died if they weren't kept in hospital? I suspect that neither country did very well in looking after their old folk regardless of where they died.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

So a policy difference is contributing to current deaths and infections.

That was what I originally asked about.

No, post the 15th of Jun it’s really future deaths that can be attributed.....

You’re asking the same question as me then. What policy differences caused the death differential?
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Biffer29 wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Yeah, sorry for that. It's all too easy to generalise.
:thumbup:

You should always worry if Ali weighs in on your side :nod:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

dpedin wrote:'But they would have been better off anywhere else in the UK than a scottish care home? And Sturgeon waited a week after Hancock, just to be different?'

Message - did you read my post? Perhaps I need to explain for you ...

You could equally argue they would be less well off in an English hospital than in a care home as more old folk died there than anywhere else in England! The reality is that roughly the same % of covid19 deaths in both countries were in the 75 year old age group but that more of them in England were in hospital or at home than in care homes whereas in Scotland more were in care homes than in hospital or at home. Place of death doesn't not distract from the fact that the same % of total covid19 deaths of 75+ year olds died in Scotland as in England. Both countries had the same outcomes!

Given the above what's the point you are trying to make? Are you suggesting that less folk would have died in Scotland if they weren't in care homes? If thats the case then surely the opposite applies to England in that less folk would have died if they weren't kept in hospital? I suspect that neither country did very well in looking after their old folk regardless of where they died.

Honestly, just one major policy difference......
croyals

Post by croyals »

Rumour is club cricket is just a couple of weeks away from returning, according to a fairly reputable source of mine. That and the pubs stay open and all is well.
Saint

Post by Saint »

croyals wrote:Rumour is club cricket is just a couple of weeks away from returning, according to a fairly reputable source of mine. That and the pubs stay open and all is well.
Saliva will be banned on the ball? I would have thought this was unenforceable
croyals

Post by croyals »

Saint wrote:
croyals wrote:Rumour is club cricket is just a couple of weeks away from returning, according to a fairly reputable source of mine. That and the pubs stay open and all is well.
It is but then so are all the lockdown rules really. Fwiw the amount of proper ball maintenance done in club cricket is pretty minimal even in the higher club leagues, I don't think there'll be a huge difference. Some are also thinking about using the pink ball which can stay in shape a bit longer.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

That'd be brilliant - I really miss club cricket, even when I'm not playing I enjoy popping up the ground and watching.
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Saint wrote:
Go for sandpaper.
Much more hygienic and effective (according to some Aussie experts).
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

I had no idea the UKs excess death figures were so bad
The number of deaths in the United Kingdom has been 43% higher than average, with about 64,500 more people dying than usual.
The UK could easily already have 100k COVID deaths :shock: :shock:

France & Spain will probably both be adjusted above 70k deaths
croyals

Post by croyals »

ovalball wrote:
That'd be brilliant - I really miss club cricket, even when I'm not playing I enjoy popping up the ground and watching.
It isn't summer without it.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Channel 4 reporting that the problem in Leicester could be language based.