Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
bimboman

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

ChipSpike wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:20 pm
feckwanker wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:06 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:49 pm
bimboman wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:01 am Meanwhile the Brains trust in Wales.
Mark Drakeford defends decision to delay deployment of Pfizer vaccine supplies on #r4today: "There would be no point and certainly it would be logistically damaging to use up all our vaccines in the first week and have our vaccinators standing around with nothing to do
Much more worried about justifying staffing costs than people dying. " no point" :((
That's genuinely unbelievable.
sadly true. Nobody seems to hold the devolved admins to account.

Puffed up parish councils.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Mark Drakeford defends decision to delay deployment of Pfizer vaccine supplies on #r4today: "There would be no point and certainly it would be logistically damaging to use up all our vaccines in the first week and have our vaccinators standing around with nothing to do
Much more worried about justifying staffing costs than people dying. " no point" :((
They're essentially saying they don't want people doing their job efficiently as they'll do it too fast and too well. So do it slower.

Oh and by the way, people will die and get sick as a result of this slowness but ho hum.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

feckwanker wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:41 pm

They're essentially saying they don't want people doing their job efficiently as they'll do it too fast and too well. So do it slower.

Oh and by the way, people will die and get sick as a result of this slowness but ho hum.
Yes, I'm waiting for my shot, if I get covid and die because its in the fridge I'll be mightily pissed off.
Rabulah Conundrum

Post by Rabulah Conundrum »

bobbity wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:41 pm
Rabulah Conundrum wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:51 pm Covid suffering lurker here, Day Nine of symptoms. Presumably got it from my father while I was giving him a lift to the supermarket. God only knows where he got it, because he's been very careful. He ended up on oxygen in the hospital, but thankfully he's on the mend now. :thumbup:

It started for me when I went for a run last Thursday morning - felt unusually tired during it, and had some tightness in my chest after. Started feeling very run-down and fuzzy-headed in the afternoon, so I decided to get tested, and the positive result came through on Sunday. For the next week, I was tired, dazed, and congested, with inflamed sinuses, and a mild cough - no fever, nothing really unmanageable. However, the tightness in the chest still tends to come in waves, and can be uncomfortable. The odd time, I've felt like my breath is caught in my throat, even though I don't feel congested anymore. My taste and smell are down to less than 5%. I'm more or less over it now, but I still wouldn't be up to any kind of running or workout.

I'm 36, reasonably healthy, was running over 100km a month before this. Has anyone on here had a similarly mild covid case? And if so, how long did it take to get back to full fitness? And for taste and smell to return?
Hi, sorry you're ill but glad your dad is on the mend.

I've not had a confirmed case, but working as a PT in gyms in Spring I got really sick shortly after the Feb half-term skiers came back in. I have major health issues anyway, but avoided getting properly sick. No testing without confirmed contact with a case, so no idea if I had it.

My advice on returning to exercise would be to be extremely conservative. There are things to be noted even in mild cases, but aside from saying if you were to get sudden chest pain call an ambulance, the details aren't necessarily that important.

Very slow return to training, very low intensity and build back up over possibly twice as long as the course of the illness*. Lots of people are struggling with not feeling great on return to training, possibly pushing too hard mind. Whatever I had in March, I don't think I was training normally until June.

* that being from onset of any symptoms to feeling completely back to normal, not the end of the feeling like shit phase
Cheers for this bobbity. :thumbup:

Out the other side of covid now. Never had any fever, and aside from depleted taste/smell, and the chest feeling a bit 'raw', my symptoms never really got worse than those of a mild winter cold. Saturday was my last day of isolation, so I got out for a slow jog/walk yesterday... felt okay, not too fatigued or out of breath, but I'll be taking it very slow for the next few weeks.

I might as well try to eat a bland, healthy, balanced diet now that my tastebuds have gone to shite and I can't fully appreciate the more indulgent things in life. :frown:

I had Swine Flu in 2009 too. Starting to think I'm indestructible. :smug:
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

bimboman wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:27 am A thread for the Ali’s of this world who assume lockdowns are the only answer.

https://twitter.com/the_brumby/status/1 ... 4606502912
USA is interesting, California has the harshest lockdowns and best compliance, yet still has the worst level of cases.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

RodneyRegis wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:25 pm
bimboman wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:27 am A thread for the Ali’s of this world who assume lockdowns are the only answer.

USA is interesting, California has the harshest lockdowns and best compliance, yet still has the worst level of cases.

There’s plenty of examples of this globally. My other thing at the moment is no one is talking about Germany where because Merkel was a scientist they were meant to remain covid free.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Californians were very compliant (over 90%) back in July, but that has slipped a lot since then. Some parts of the state are even setting up Covid Compliance Units:

https://abc7news.com/san-mateo-county-c ... t/7161795/
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sandstorm wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:45 pm

Californians were very compliant (over 90%) back in July, but that has slipped a lot since then. Some parts of the state are even setting up Covid Compliance Units:

It was always going to be the people’s not the polices fault, that’s baked in.
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

Just for context:

Vaccination rates: Wales, 6%
NI 8.7%
Scotland 6%
England 8%

But sure, keep on using Wales as a political football....
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

feckwanker wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:41 pm

It's certainly a weird decision, I'd be happy for health workers to have some spare time sitting around, waiting for the next batch for vaccinating people sooner and more people protected. How does he not see this as a good thing?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

P in VG wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:28 pm Just for context:

NI 8.7%
Scotland 6%
England 8%

Your leader said something very very moronic though.
Last Line

Post by Last Line »

Eerily familiar...

https://youtu.be/q9qeLcq3y8w
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

NI 8.7%
Scotland 6%
England 8%

Please don't defend Drakeford
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

bimboman wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:26 pm

There’s plenty of examples of this globally. My other thing at the moment is no one is talking about Germany where because Merkel was a scientist they were meant to remain covid free.
I thought it was because she's a woman?
message #2527204

NI 8.7%
Scotland 6%
England 8%

If my old man lived in Wales and they were keeping the vaccine in a fridge rather than in his arm just to stop the staff from playing candy crush for a few days, I'd be livid.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

NI 8.7%
Scotland 6%
England 8%

Don't know where you are getting those figures. Unless that is a percentage of people they intend to vaccinate, otherwise Scotland is only sitting at 4.2%.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Norway says no link has been established between the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and the deaths of 33 elderly people after vaccination. But it’s urged doctors to assess the health of those who are most frail before they are vaccinated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-5571 ... type=share
JamesJames

Post by JamesJames »

Looks like South Africa has passes the peak of second wave. New cases down to 9000 from a peak of 21000. All this while temperatures have been high twenties to high thirties. The unvaccinated world really is just a giant petri dish right now. I fear the need for vaccinations is going to go on for a long long time. We can't lock down forever and mutations will eventually render the current vaccine ineffective.
freddie111

Post by freddie111 »

bimboman wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:13 pm

What on earth has the police got to do with it in California?

Please don't talk about what has been happening in California as you truly haven't a baldy notion.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

freddie111 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:15 am
bimboman wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:13 pm

What on earth has the police got to do with it in California?

Please don't talk about what has been happening in California as you truly haven't a baldy notion.

Typo “policy’s “ .
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Sefton wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:58 am
Norway says no link has been established between the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and the deaths of 33 elderly people after vaccination. But it’s urged doctors to assess the health of those who are most frail before they are vaccinated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-5571 ... type=share
A number of us figured that would be the case, especially as clinical trials were about as large a data sample as they ever get and suggest COVID wouldn't do such a thing.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Hopefully helping get the Vaccine numbers up:

Imams debunking COVID vaccine myths

Leeds Mosque Imam Qari Asim tells Sky News Imams across the UK have been working to reassure communities and tackle misinformation about the COVID vaccines.

He spoke to Sky News earlier - see post at 08:03.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

South Africa, which has yet to receive its first coronavirus vaccine doses, will be getting 9 million from Johnson & Johnson, the health ministry said on Monday.

The government is trying to secure enough Covid-19 vaccines after health workers and scientists criticised it for not moving fast enough to inoculate citizens.

The country has recorded more than 1.3 million infections and more than 37 000 deaths related to the virus, the most in Africa.

Health ministry spokeswoman Lwazi Manzi did not specify when the J&J doses might be available.
https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/sa- ... 1b845d9d96
The South African government is in the process of developing an electronic vaccination data system (EVDS) to assist with the roll-out of Covid-19 vaccines across the country.

The system aims to assist in both the management and surveillance of the Covid-19 vaccine. Among other features, the EVDS will provide and track vaccine information, such as:

Patient information, including demographics and number of doses;
Safety information – such as possible adverse events following immunisation;
Details of vaccine administration sites.
As part of this monitoring system, there are plans to send reminders for a follow-up appointment to receive a second dose and to include an integrated track-and-trace system for defaulters – those who do not show up to receive their second shot.

A dashboard system is also being developed to capture the reasons given for vaccine refusal.

As part of this process, the Department of Health has said that all South Africans who are vaccinated will be placed on a national register and provided with a vaccination card.

Vaccine passports

A form of identification and proof of a vaccine is likely to become increasingly important in the coming months and years, especially for South Africans looking to travel overseas.
https://businesstech.co.za/news/technol ... will-work/
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Seems like the lockdown is starting to have a big effect now. Weekly cases in my locality have fallen every day for over a week now - about 50% of what they were at the height. Hampshire, overall, is also showing substantial falls.

Hopefully we'll start to see the hospital cases start dropping soon - but we're still heading for well over 100K deaths.

Utter bastard of a virus.

Good to see that the vaccination programme is going well. I should be getting mine within about 3 weeks.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Why does the US keep saying they're approaching 400k Covid deaths? Worldometer has them at 409,029
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Jensrsa wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:48 pm Why does the US keep saying they're approaching 400k Covid deaths? Worldometer has them at 409,029
Their official death toll has always lagged behind the one on Worldometer.
C69

Post by C69 »

ovalball wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:21 pm Seems like the lockdown is starting to have a big effect now. Weekly cases in my locality have fallen every day for over a week now - about 50% of what they were at the height. Hampshire, overall, is also showing substantial falls.

Hopefully we'll start to see the hospital cases start dropping soon - but we're still heading for well over 100K deaths.

Good to see that the vaccination programme is going well. I should be getting mine within about 3 weeks.
The number of cases is going through the roof in local hospitals and ICU beds are rammed here. Should peak within the week hopefully.

It's pretty grim tbh, it's our 3rd wave and it's fecking unrelenting given we have been dealing with Covid since March.
Petej

Post by Petej »

I work in aerospace as a materials, quality, specs type engineer and take signing off parts and components seriously but I'm coming to the conclusion that the aerospace's industries focus on safety might be detrimental. If we had near daily crashes killing like 200-400 per crash it would be normalised and the british public would accept it. Select a suitable posh twit to do the bbc interview and everything is good. As a plus you would also get to make more planes to replace the ones that crashed.

The government is pushing it with 6+ a320 loads a day but doesn't seem to bother the uk voters according to the polls.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

ovalball wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:21 pm Seems like the lockdown is starting to have a big effect now. Weekly cases in my locality have fallen every day for over a week now - about 50% of what they were at the height. Hampshire, overall, is also showing substantial falls.

That's great to hear. Must be just a coincidence though because bimboman has repeatedly told me that lockdowns don't work.
message #2527204

Petej wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:57 am I work in aerospace as a materials, quality, specs type engineer and take signing off parts and components seriously but I'm coming to the conclusion that the aerospace's industries focus on safety might be detrimental. If we had near daily crashes killing like 200-400 per crash it would be normalised and the british public would accept it. Select a suitable posh twit to do the bbc interview and everything is good. As a plus you would also get to make more planes to replace the ones that crashed.

The government is pushing it with 6+ a320 loads a day but doesn't seem to bother the uk voters according to the polls.
It's not a plane, it's a viral pandemic. These people are dying of natural causes.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Patel getting shredded this morning on telly.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:45 am Patel getting shredded this morning on telly.
Almost as bad as a poster who argues against lockdowns during this pandemic.
C69

Post by C69 »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:28 am
bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:45 am Patel getting shredded this morning on telly.
Oh feck now you've done it.
Have a nice day. Perhaps get some pro plus.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Yep, they’ve worked brilliantly. What a policy.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:36 am

Yep, they’ve worked brilliantly. What a policy.
Indeed. When we have them and do them right, spread is reduced and cases go down*
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

*Expects some wildly out of context use of data and a misrepresented argument that ignores a lot of the facts in a goalpost moving reply
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:48 am *Expects some wildly out of context use of data and a misrepresented argument that ignores a lot of the facts in a goalpost moving reply
And don't forget - all contained in a one-liner
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Leinsterman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:54 am
eldanielfire wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:48 am *Expects some wildly out of context use of data and a misrepresented argument that ignores a lot of the facts in a goalpost moving reply
:lol: a terse or derogatory one-liner at that!
C69

Post by C69 »

SaintK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:00 am
No a great one-liner that everyone else is too thick to understand.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

C69 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:49 am
SaintK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:00 am
No a great one-liner that everyone else is too thick to understand.
Want a laugh? Some psycho called Laura Perrins keeps coming on on COVID searches. Massive and obtuse anti-lockdown commentator. Her tweets about how "evil" the lockdown is read almost exactly as what Bimbo writes to you here when he calls you names :lol:
Last edited by eldanielfire on Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.