All things Rugby
bimboman

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

piquant wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:38 pm
ChipSpike wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:15 pm
piquant wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:08 pm
ChipSpike wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:33 pm
Gospel wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:36 pm So what are the acceptable number of annual deaths from COVID? Do we treat it like the flu and accept that in bad flu years 20,000 people will die? This is political decision, not a scientific one.
I think the economic damage and mental health damage of these lockdowns will be worse than the effects of the covid deaths. Bearing in mind the age of the people dying largely, I would have thought this is politically obvious. I'm particularly pissed off with the effect of school closures. Vaccinate all teachers (if we must) now and get the kids back to school now is my opinion.
That's an interesting, bumping teachers up the order of priority. Politically it seems popular but the data doesn't suggest they're one of the more at risk group of workers
I agree scientifically it isn't merited, but if that what it takes to open the schools (colleges and universities) I think it should be done. Would take a couple of days of vaccinations maybe? The younger generation shouldn't be paying this high a price for the coffin dodgers.
I'm more than a little hesitant to drive policy on what feels right (to some) over the actual data. And its wrong to think this is a younger generation being put upon, much more it's some workers (such as transport, food chain, NHS) being put upon. That said I don't mind if people are feeling fed up, for my money they can think of others not themselves, needy prats that they are.

The school age young are missing a huge % of their education.

The University students are paying for something they’re not receiving.

The new and young at work are working in conditions that cannot allow for growth , promotion or normal enjoyment of the work place.

Young singles have been legally restricted from meeting potential partners for nearly a year. They’ve been banned for months from having sex.

This is without the rights of travel (remember the brexit arguments about how cruel this was).

Etc etc. They’ve suffered tremendously for the covid policy choices,
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Gospel wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:36 pm So what are the acceptable number of annual deaths from COVID? Do we treat it like the flu and accept that in bad flu years 20,000 people will die? This is political decision, not a scientific one.
I think the economic damage and mental health damage of these lockdowns will be worse than the effects of the covid deaths. Bearing in mind the age of the people dying largely, I would have thought this is politically obvious. I'm particularly pissed off with the effect of school closures. Vaccinate all teachers (if we must) now and get the kids back to school now is my opinion.
That's an interesting, bumping teachers up the order of priority. Politically it seems popular but the data doesn't suggest they're one of the more at risk group of workers
I agree scientifically it isn't merited, but if that what it takes to open the schools (colleges and universities) I think it should be done. Would take a couple of days of vaccinations maybe? The younger generation shouldn't be paying this high a price for the coffin dodgers.
I'm more than a little hesitant to drive policy on what feels right (to some) over the actual data. And its wrong to think this is a younger generation being put upon, much more it's some workers (such as transport, food chain, NHS) being put upon. That said I don't mind if people are feeling fed up, for my money they can think of others not themselves, needy prats that they are.
I think younger people are being shat over big time.

The groups you think are more put upon - and I am in that group - are by-and-large still working, and on full pay.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

bimboman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:11 pm

The new and young at work are working in conditions that cannot allow for growth , promotion or normal enjoyment of the work place.

Young singles have been legally restricted from meeting potential partners for nearly a year. They’ve been banned for months from having sex.

This is without the rights of travel (remember the brexit arguments about how cruel this was).

And 100k+ old people are dead. Hmmm.....I wonder who suffered more?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:25 pm

Eventually that’s a judgment that will be made openly and honestly and not by hyperbolic fear mongers and cowards who think everyone should stop dying,

Btw, more people are now predicted to die earlier than expected because of the lockdown policy you so publically approve of ... mmmm I wonder what’s that means.
Sputnik V

Post by Sputnik V »

one min we are mentioning the 120k dead and the next we are banging on about how amazing we are doing. Which is it?

Also, a poster on another thread cited the NHS as an example of how much the nation cares about the health of its people, but Covid has shown it isn't very important at all, as we are one of the unhealthiest in the world.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

bimboman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:29 pm

Eventually that’s a judgment that will be made openly and honestly and not by hyperbolic fear mongers and cowards who think everyone should stop dying,

Btw, more people are now predicted to die earlier than expected because of the lockdown policy you so publically approve of ... mmmm I wonder what’s that means.
Well I predict that those predictions are wrong.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

And a whole lot more spent time, seriously ill, in hospital. Many more, effectively, under house arrest for the best part of a year. Everyone has suffered - but would have suffered far more had actions not been taken to reduce transmission.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:34 pm
bimboman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:29 pm

Well I predict that those predictions are wrong.

You choose to ignore the evidence as it suits your cowardly position on an actual normal discussion around what death, suffering and economic damage is acceptable per death of an old or already very sick person.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

bimboman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:36 pm
You choose to ignore the evidence as it suits your cowardly position on an actual normal discussion around what death, suffering and economic damage is acceptable per death of an old or already very sick person.
"Normal discussion" :lol:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

hermie wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:41 pm The EU are buying tonnes of extra vaccine doses now. Better late than never?
https://apnews.com/article/eu-more-vacc ... 97c39fbfc1
Of course, especially as variants continue to spread/be discovered.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:39 pm

Yes, a discussion regarding the cost acceptable for the whole of society.
piquant

Post by piquant »

ovalball wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:01 pm

I mostly agree with that - but, now that the highest risk groups have mostly been vaxxed, we really need to accept the remaining risk, and get youngsters back into education, including Universities, before the damage becomes irreversible.
What's irreversible?
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

piquant wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:57 pm

I mostly agree with that - but, now that the highest risk groups have mostly been vaxxed, we really need to accept the remaining risk, and get youngsters back into education, including Universities, before the damage becomes irreversible.
What's irreversible?
When they've missed more education than they can reasonably make up in the time they have left.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

not_english wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:45 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:38 pm
The data are there. Work it out for yourself, or accept they'll tell you.
I can't. Can you please tell me when we are coming out of lockdown?
When conditions are right.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

message #2527204 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:10 pm

Why are you avoiding saying what the metrics of “right” are?
message #2527204

bimboman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:47 pm

Like a referendum, without bendy bananas? I wonder who they could get for the "kill the old people" campaign? Cummings is free?
message #2527204

bimboman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:12 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:10 pm

Why are you avoiding saying what the metrics of “right” are?
Because I don't know, and I can't be arsed to gather all the information and make a decision.
Sputnik V

Post by Sputnik V »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:44 pm
hermie wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:41 pm The EU are buying tonnes of extra vaccine doses now. Better late than never?
https://apnews.com/article/eu-more-vacc ... 97c39fbfc1
Of course, especially as variants continue to spread/be discovered.
UK hogging all the varients
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

message #2527204 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:13 pm
bimboman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:47 pm

Like a referendum, without bendy bananas? I wonder who they could get for the "kill the old people" campaign? Cummings is free?

No, an honest presentation to our representatives regarding what metrics are an are not acceptable for society as a whole. The impact assessment that they’ve avoided till now. They could then have a policy for us to know about and judge in the next election.

Radical huh.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

ovalball wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:07 pm
piquant wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:57 pm

What's irreversible?
When they've missed more education than they can reasonably make up in the time they have left.
Plus, what's the science on how much were open schools responsible for the increase in R rate, as opposed to say, winter?
Clive Simms

Post by Clive Simms »

It's only 3 weeks to protect the NHS became
It's only until we bring the r rate below 1 became
It's only until we have the vaccine became
It's a necessary sacrifice to have Christmas became
It's only until we vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable became
It's only until we vaccinate all adults became
It's only until we have less than 1000 cases

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...
Sputnik V

Post by Sputnik V »

Clive Simms wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:21 pm It's only 3 weeks to protect the NHS became
It's only until we bring the r rate below 1 became
It's only until we have the vaccine became
It's a necessary sacrifice to have Christmas became
It's only until we vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable became
It's only until we vaccinate all adults became
It's only until we have less than 1000 cases

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...
Best post of the day. It is clear they are bluffing us
not_english

Post by not_english »

Soooo I noticed yesterday that the number of cases vs the week previous had only declined by 14% (I forget the actual number) and now today has 12,718 cases only 295 less than the week previous.

That is only 2 datapoints, but is the rate of decline of coronavirus now plateauing?
In other words, is the baseline number of cases about 10,000/ day in February given the amount of lockdown we have implemented?

So, if we are waiting until they hit 1000/day, we either have to get tougher on people breaking lockdown, or wait until Summer when it will decline naturally.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

not_english wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:30 pm Soooo I noticed yesterday that the number of cases vs the week previous had only declined by 14% (I forget the actual number) and now today has 12,718 cases only 295 less than the week previous.

That is only 2 datapoints, but is the rate of decline of coronavirus now plateauing?
In other words, is the baseline number of cases about 10,000/ day in February given the amount of lockdown we have implemented?

So, if we are waiting until they hit 1000/day, we either have to get tougher on people breaking lockdown, or wait until Summer when it will decline naturally.

Zoe App has shown this slowing of decline since last week now. Case levels though are similar to last September, with 250,000 more tests.

They’re planning to find many more people to test.

We won’t leave lockdown until we refuse to test the healthy
not_english

Post by not_english »

bimboman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:37 pm
not_english wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:30 pm Soooo I noticed yesterday that the number of cases vs the week previous had only declined by 14% (I forget the actual number) and now today has 12,718 cases only 295 less than the week previous.

Zoe App has shown this slowing of decline since last week now. Case levels though are similar to last September, with 250,000 more tests.

...well I guess if we track covid patients in hospital, that should take care of that issue
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

not_english wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:47 pm
bimboman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:37 pm

...well I guess if we track covid patients in hospital, that should take care of that issue

When will we know they’ve caught it?
JamesJames

Post by JamesJames »

It's interesting how dispassionate the discussion would be about a UK made Brimstone missile hitting a wedding party in Pakistan by accident. Wouldn't even make the headline news. Some OAP's die of flu and it's the end of the world.

Bimboman's right. Only a limited number of people can withstand a protracted lockdown. The only justifiable reason for derailing the economy is to prevent the health system being overwhelmed. We've been perfectly OK with sacrificing millions of young men, now getting squeamish with really tiny numbers of oldies.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Bugger - another terrible milestone for a country
WORLD / COUNTRIES / UNITED STATES
Last updated: February 17, 2021, 20:52 GMT
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

Recovered:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Sadly much of the misleading reporting over the AstraZeneca Vaccine in Germany ahs led to low uptake, meaning it is surely slowing down their vaccination progress:

6h ago
15:12
Concern in Germany over public reluctance to have Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine
Philip Oltermann Philip Oltermann
Germany’s health minister, Jens Spahn, has made a point of saying he would be happy to be injected with the “safe and effective” AstraZeneca vaccine, as authorities in the country voiced their growing concern about the German public’s reluctance to be immunised against Covid-19 with the British-Swedish pharmaceutical company’s vaccine.

According to German government agencies’ own monitoring, only 87,533 out of 736,800 delivered doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine had been administered by Tuesday 16 February.

In Berlin, where the senate has promised the public the freedom to choose between different available vaccines, local media reported that out of 30,000 doses of the vaccine delivered last week, only 990 had been administered so far.

The British-Swedish own shaky data from its early trials, as well as some misleading reporting in German media, have created a prominent debate around the AstraZeneca vaccine’s comparatively lower efficacy in Germany, where medical authorities have initially permitted the vaccine for use only among the under 65s.

The health minister of the state of Saarland, Monika Bachmann, this week criticised the reluctant uptake of the vaccine among medical staff, after more than half of those scheduled to be vaccinated failed to turn up to their appointment at a special session for 200 people working in medical care.

Scientists such as the influential virologist Christian Drosten say the scepticism about the AstraZeneca vaccine is misplaced. “We have to do everything we can now to vaccinate as quickly as possible across the board,” the Charité hospital scientist said on his podcast on Tuesday. There’s always a hair in the soup somewhere, and some people are looking at it with a magnifying glass.”

Spahn on Wednesday described the vaccine as “safe and effective”, telling the broadcaster RTL: “I would let myself be vaccinated when I get an appointment – and that expressly includes the AstraZeneca vaccine.”
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

JamesJames wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:54 pm It's interesting how dispassionate the discussion would be about a UK made Brimstone missile hitting a wedding party in Pakistan by accident. Wouldn't even make the headline news. Some OAP's die of flu and it's the end of the world.

Bimboman's right. Only a limited number of people can withstand a protracted lockdown. The only justifiable reason for derailing the economy is to prevent the health system being overwhelmed. We've been perfectly OK with sacrificing millions of young men, now getting squeamish with really tiny numbers of oldies.
Yeah, those oldies, they don't matter - and think of all the pensions the Government will save by letting another 100K die. They shouldn't even bother taking them into hospital and wasting NHS resources. Just let them peg it at home.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:31 pm Sadly much of the misleading reporting over the AstraZeneca Vaccine in Germany ahs led to low uptake, meaning it is surely slowing down their vaccination progress:

6h ago
15:12
Concern in Germany over public reluctance to have Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine
Philip Oltermann Philip Oltermann
Germany’s health minister, Jens Spahn, has made a point of saying he would be happy to be injected with the “safe and effective” AstraZeneca vaccine, as authorities in the country voiced their growing concern about the German public’s reluctance to be immunised against Covid-19 with the British-Swedish pharmaceutical company’s vaccine.

According to German government agencies’ own monitoring, only 87,533 out of 736,800 delivered doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine had been administered by Tuesday 16 February.

In Berlin, where the senate has promised the public the freedom to choose between different available vaccines, local media reported that out of 30,000 doses of the vaccine delivered last week, only 990 had been administered so far.

The British-Swedish own shaky data from its early trials, as well as some misleading reporting in German media, have created a prominent debate around the AstraZeneca vaccine’s comparatively lower efficacy in Germany, where medical authorities have initially permitted the vaccine for use only among the under 65s.

The health minister of the state of Saarland, Monika Bachmann, this week criticised the reluctant uptake of the vaccine among medical staff, after more than half of those scheduled to be vaccinated failed to turn up to their appointment at a special session for 200 people working in medical care.

Scientists such as the influential virologist Christian Drosten say the scepticism about the AstraZeneca vaccine is misplaced. “We have to do everything we can now to vaccinate as quickly as possible across the board,” the Charité hospital scientist said on his podcast on Tuesday. There’s always a hair in the soup somewhere, and some people are looking at it with a magnifying glass.”

Spahn on Wednesday described the vaccine as “safe and effective”, telling the broadcaster RTL: “I would let myself be vaccinated when I get an appointment – and that expressly includes the AstraZeneca vaccine.”
Surely that’s a success no?

Rubbish the vaccine so nobody wants it, the Brits are only doing well because it’s an ‘ineffective vaccine’
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Croatia now after the Russian Vaccine:

Croatia is discussing with Moscow the possibility of importing Russia’s Covid-19 vaccine and the government has asked its drugs regulator to consider approving the shot without waiting for the EU’s approval, the health minister, Vili Beros, said on Wednesday.

Reuters reports:

EU countries have so far lagged far behind the United States and the former EU member Britain in distributing vaccines against the coronavirus pandemic, creating political pressure on governments to speed up a lifesaving programme.

Croatia’s neighbour Hungary, often at odds with EU headquarters in Brussels, has been the only member country so far to start using Russian and Chinese vaccines without waiting for approval from the European Medicines Agency (EMA).

In an interview with state radio, Beros said he had discussed buying Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine with the Russian ambassador in Zagreb. Russia is planning to seek EMA approval for the vaccine but Croatia would not necessarily wait, he said.

“We are thinking about securing that vaccine earlier for us. Now it is up to (our) experts to acquire information on the efficiency and safety of the vaccine and on necessary regulatory requirements,” Beros said.

“We already required the Croatian drugs agency to do it and we expect their response within days. Each government must take care of the health of its citizens. It is not illegitimate to seek solutions also outside the European Union, especially if there is a delay in deliveries within the EU framework.”

Croatia, along with Slovenia, are former Yugoslav republics now in the EU. Nearby Serbia, which has close relations with Russia, was sharing some of its Sputnik V supplies with neighbouring fellow ex-members of old Yugoslavia.
Sputnik V

Post by Sputnik V »

Sinopharm is the best vaccine as it is inactivated. I would take that first and would happily pay a £500 premium to do so
Sputnik V

Post by Sputnik V »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:47 pm Croatia now after the Russian Vaccine:

Croatia is discussing with Moscow the possibility of importing Russia’s Covid-19 vaccine and the government has asked its drugs regulator to consider approving the shot without waiting for the EU’s approval, the health minister, Vili Beros, said on Wednesday.

Reuters reports:

EU countries have so far lagged far behind the United States and the former EU member Britain in distributing vaccines against the coronavirus pandemic, creating political pressure on governments to speed up a lifesaving programme.

Croatia’s neighbour Hungary, often at odds with EU headquarters in Brussels, has been the only member country so far to start using Russian and Chinese vaccines without waiting for approval from the European Medicines Agency (EMA).

In an interview with state radio, Beros said he had discussed buying Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine with the Russian ambassador in Zagreb. Russia is planning to seek EMA approval for the vaccine but Croatia would not necessarily wait, he said.

“We are thinking about securing that vaccine earlier for us. Now it is up to (our) experts to acquire information on the efficiency and safety of the vaccine and on necessary regulatory requirements,” Beros said.

“We already required the Croatian drugs agency to do it and we expect their response within days. Each government must take care of the health of its citizens. It is not illegitimate to seek solutions also outside the European Union, especially if there is a delay in deliveries within the EU framework.”

Croatia, along with Slovenia, are former Yugoslav republics now in the EU. Nearby Serbia, which has close relations with Russia, was sharing some of its Sputnik V supplies with neighbouring fellow ex-members of old Yugoslavia.
available and better than Astra, why not
shanky

Post by shanky »

Sputnik V wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:51 pm Sinopharm is the best vaccine as it is inactivated. I would take that first and would happily pay a £500 premium to do so
Well, we're all totally shocked to hear this unexpected news :lol:
Sputnik V

Post by Sputnik V »

shanky wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:58 pm
Sputnik V wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:51 pm Sinopharm is the best vaccine as it is inactivated. I would take that first and would happily pay a £500 premium to do so
Inactivated, why wouldn't it be the best. Get me a European inactivated one and I will take it
shanky

Post by shanky »

Sputnik V wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:01 pm
shanky wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:58 pm
Inactivated, why wouldn't it be the best. Get me a European inactivated one and I will take it
Is the Sinopharm one approved for use in the UK?

If not, why not?
Sputnik V

Post by Sputnik V »

because the UK want everyone to take the experimental types in the greatest human experiment in history
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

We could vaccinate every teacher tomorrow and schools will still be closed. All it would do is ensure that schools are closed for longer, as by diverting vaccines away from vulnerable groups to teachers and other none risk groups we ensure more vulnerable catch the disease go to hospital and die due to the delay. Labour, especially a man as intelligent as Starmer knows this but still peddles the lie, it is pretty loathsome behaviour.

Schools were closed not to protect teachers but to reduce community transmission, kids were catching the disease off each other and then taking it home to spread amongst their families. Schools were closed to stop that. When transmission is low enough in the community that schools can reopen they will.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Sputnik V wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:07 pm because the UK want everyone to take the experimental types in the greatest human experiment in history
so, it's a conspiracy?

against the Chinese?