Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by eldanielfire »

Petej wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:33 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/ballouxfranc ... 4408696837

Good thread.

"New preprint reporting that T-cell responses to #SARSCoV2 'variants of concerns' (B.1.1.7, B.1.351, P.1) are essentially unaffected relative to the 'ancestral' lineage."

Much to my surprise I have my vaccine jab scheduled for next Monday probably due to a very mild form of epilepsy that I grew out of years ago. Genuinely think Wales will have offered everyone over 18 their first jab by end of May. All of the UK by mid June.
Excellent news, thanks for the link.
puku

Post by puku »

Petej wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:33 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/ballouxfranc ... 4408696837

Good thread.

"New preprint reporting that T-cell responses to #SARSCoV2 'variants of concerns' (B.1.1.7, B.1.351, P.1) are essentially unaffected relative to the 'ancestral' lineage."

Much to my surprise I have my vaccine jab scheduled for next Monday probably due to a very mild form of epilepsy that I grew out of years ago. Genuinely think Wales will have offered everyone over 18 their first jab by end of May. All of the UK by mid June.
A couple of things for me.

This study doesn't address the humoral (antibody) response to these variants, so is only part of the story.

The second thing, if I'm reading the figure correctly correctly, is that their experimental system may not account for processing the spike protein in the way it would be processed in nature. That is, the viral particles would be engulfed, viral proteins degraded and then fragments (epitopes) of these proteins presented to either the CD8 or CD4 T cells via MHC I or MHC II molecules. These epitopes might have a different shape to that presented when whole spike protein if used.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

puku wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:36 am

Good thread.

A couple of things for me.

This study doesn't address the humoral (antibody) response to these variants, so is only part of the story.

The second thing, if I'm reading the figure correctly correctly, is that their experimental system may not account for processing the spike protein in the way it would be processed in nature. That is, the viral particles would be engulfed, viral proteins degraded and then fragments (epitopes) of these proteins presented to either the CD8 or CD4 T cells via MHC I or MHC II molecules. These epitopes might have a different shape to that presented when whole spike protein if used.

You sound like a virologist.... :thumbup:
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

backrow wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:11 pm Got my vaccine last night , in the unusual location of Epsom racecourse stadium.
Waiting in line, see not 1, not 2, but 3 nurses who even with a mask on , are very nicely turned out indeed - 2 milfy brunettes and a petite young Mousey blonde. Wife with me and can see where I’m looking.

My turn rocks up and I sadly don’t get any of the 3 nice ones, I get some old St Johns biddy who can’t use a PC or a needle , and takes the syringe like a vet does with ketamine to a racehorse and rams it in with shaking hands. Wife then pipes up afterwards with ‘ah shame you didn’t get one of the young nurses ....’

God is very real and enjoys mocking me :x
How come you're jumping the queue, Yeeb?
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

he's a proctologist?
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

EU blocks export of vaccine to Australia. :((
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Looks like putting the nation on a diet would have reduced deaths more than most of our other restrictions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ays-report
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

ovalball wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:44 pm Looks like putting the nation on a diet would have reduced deaths more than most of our other restrictions.

Our?

Love the way The Guardian mentions UK and USA first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... esity_rate
C69

Post by C69 »

message #2527204 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:15 pm
backrow wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:11 pm Got my vaccine last night , in the unusual location of Epsom racecourse stadium.
Waiting in line, see not 1, not 2, but 3 nurses who even with a mask on , are very nicely turned out indeed - 2 milfy brunettes and a petite young Mousey blonde. Wife with me and can see where I’m looking.

My turn rocks up and I sadly don’t get any of the 3 nice ones, I get some old St Johns biddy who can’t use a PC or a needle , and takes the syringe like a vet does with ketamine to a racehorse and rams it in with shaking hands. Wife then pipes up afterwards with ‘ah shame you didn’t get one of the young nurses ....’

Anecephaly?
Or perhaps microcephaly a male version of American Horror's Peppa feom his pics.
Last edited by C69 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

ovalball wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:44 pm Looks like putting the nation on a diet would have reduced deaths more than most of our other restrictions.

There doesn't seem to be any correlation at all from those figures. Deaths are predominently due to age rather than weight? Maybe they should look at obese old people?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

And people laughed when this was suggested months ago.

Open the gyms.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

bimboman wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:56 pm

Open the gyms.
The Lockdown mafia won't like that. Some of the more petulant mob where I live had started campaign to get the general store type shop closed. Why? - they just don't like it open
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Frodder wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:28 pm

Open the gyms.
The Lockdown mafia won't like that. Some of the more petulant mob where I live had started campaign to get the general store type shop closed. Why? - they just don't like it open

What’s wrong with your local store and Covid ? Surely it saves them long travel distances.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

EU banning the export of AZ vaccines to Australia.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

MrDominator wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:25 pm EU banning the export of AZ vaccines to Australia.

While millions sit in French and German fridges unused. :thumbup:
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

bimboman wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:27 pm
MrDominator wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:25 pm EU banning the export of AZ vaccines to Australia.

While millions sit in French and German fridges unused. :thumbup:
It's a pretty outrageous way to treat the nation who twice sent their young men halfway around the world to fight for freedom in Europe.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

message #2527204 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:54 pm

There doesn't seem to be any correlation at all from those figures. Deaths are predominently due to age rather than weight? Maybe they should look at obese old people?
They compensated for age in the study.

Makes sense though - somewhere like the UK, with an oldish population, quite densely populated, and overweight - it's the perfect Covid storm - especially when you add in how slow we were to react to the pandemic.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

ovalball wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:33 pm

Makes sense though - somewhere like the UK, with an oldish population, quite densely populated, and overweight - it's the perfect Covid storm - especially when you add in how slow we were to react to the pandemic.

Unlike the “crystal ball family” :lol:
Clouseau

Post by Clouseau »

Clogs wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:41 pm

Good thread.

Quite possibly the best post on this thread. Boom! Fvck you covid. Go fvck yourself in your own face!
Yeah ! Up your arse Covid !
Fvck off so we can get back to our pubs/cafés and smelly gyms, back to our insipid offices and colleagues, our dull, banal lives and start moaning about other things :thumbup:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Open the gyms.
Because the fat people are that way because they are the ones who will use the gyms....
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Seriously, what...the....fudge! Because they want to look like bigger c#nts than when they intervened in vaccines last time?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

ovalball wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:33 pm

Agreed!
backrow

Post by backrow »

message #2527204 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:15 pm

Am not jumping shit - I’m deemed essential albeit non clinical. I manage the planning for one of the worlds largest medical companies for Emea north, chances are if any medical bods on here used any pharma, aneasthetics or PPE recently, my grubby mits planned it.

Sadly Our PPE is all third party so those shortages last year were very real and our hands were tied somewhat - all I did really was move some bound for France, Nordics and Benelux to the UK before ze Germans verboten the ports,l and hoarded it, and then once the Irish bound stuff was safely in my warehouse in Gloucester , I kept it there.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:32 pm

Open the gyms.
Because the fat people are that way because they are the ones who will use the gyms....

You’re still making more fat and weaker people.

Open the gyms.
Petej

Post by Petej »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:34 pm
Seriously, what...the....fudge! Because they want to look like bigger c#nts than when they intervened in vaccines last time?
Have AZ delivered the vaccines they said they would to the EU countries? I would be a tad peeved if having failed to deliver what they said they would then took vaccines manufactured within your countries elsewhere. Depends on the terms of the contract Australia have with AZ.

The below is well worth a read (well done to the UK contract negotiators):
https://www.politico.eu/article/the-key ... contracts/
Petej

Post by Petej »

bimboman wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:50 pm

Open the gyms.

Open the gyms.
Fat people in my experience are not frequently found in gyms.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Petej wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:47 pm

Open the gyms.

Open the gyms.

Yeah, all the regular gym goers who’ve put on weight over lockdowns will just stop going now.

Open the gyms.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Open the gyms.

Open the gyms.
Neither do they stick to diets or healthy lifestyles - Unfortunately the levels of obesity, etc., just reinforces the real need for the UK to act quickly and have fairly rigid lockdowns - far more so than are needed in most other countries - getting the nations' obesity reduced would be an extremely long haul process. Opening the Gyms would do SFA.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

ovalball wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:24 pm

Open the gyms.

Open the gyms.
Neither do they stick to diets or healthy lifestyles - Unfortunately the levels of obesity, etc., just reinforces the real need for the UK to act quickly and have fairly rigid lockdowns - far more so than are needed in most other countries - getting the nations' obesity reduced would be an extremely long haul process. Opening the Gyms would do SFA.

Exercise is vital for a healthy lifestyle. People who stay stronger live longer and better lives.

You and the family stay in an eat salad , the rest of us will live,
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Amazingly altruistic responses from Australians on the comments to this article:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/eur ... l#comments

Truly a special people :thumbup:
Petej

Post by Petej »

bimboman wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:27 pm

Open the gyms.

Exercise is vital for a healthy lifestyle. People who stay stronger live longer and better lives.

Don't think anyone disagrees with the point on exercising being good for physical and mental well being.

Better/balanced diet is more important particularly reducing heavily processed foods and refined carbs/sugars.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Petej wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:57 pm

Open the gyms.

Don't think anyone disagrees with the point on exercising being good for physical and mental well being.

Better/balanced diet is more important particularly reducing heavily processed foods and refined carbs/sugars.

Not really, they go hand in hand. There’s a reason people in gyms are also on average slimmer ....

Open the f**king gyms,
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:02 pm

Not really, they go hand in hand. There’s a reason people in gyms are also on average slimmer ....

Open the f**king gyms,
It won't help the overweight people who don't attend. he slim people who go won't likely be at more risk from COVID for a few lockdown pounds either,
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Open the gyms.

You can't outwork a bad diet. Though Bimboman seems to be avoid all the points that point out those at highest risk from COVIOD deaths won't benefit from Gyms opening that they don't use. People who want to be fit all brought gym equipment like mad at the start of lockdown as well. However given the dense and indoor nature of gyms it could well spread more COVID putting fatties at more risk
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:24 pm

You can't outwork a bad diet. Though Bimboman seems to be avoid all the points that point out those at highest risk from COVIOD deaths won't benefit from Gyms opening that they don't use. People who want to be fit all brought gym equipment like mad at the start of lockdown as well. However given the dense and indoor nature of gyms it could well spread more COVID putting fatties at more risk
He's just being Bimbo - you don't need gyms open to get fit or to lose weight. Get outside, in the fresh air. Do some running and walking - eat healthy food in moderation - Do some exercises at home.
C69

Post by C69 »

Oval, why does the creepy fecker abuse your family?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Peoples covid bias making them argue nonsense ... :lol:

Suddenly gyms don’t help people keep fit and get stronger. :lol: Everyone should just go for a run. :lol:

The best bit being Gyms were the source of almost no covid spread, less than 1% of cases were traced to gyms.

But hey, people who don’t use gyms think they should be closed. :lol:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

C69 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:54 pm Oval, why does the creepy fecker abuse your family?

I’ve not “abused” anyone.

Why do you make up these lies.?
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

C69 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:54 pm Oval, why does the creepy fecker abuse your family?
Probably because his arguments are so weak, he resorts to that sort of stuff - I have him on ignore so I only see his garbage when someone quotes him - so it doesn't bother me - besdies, everyone knows he's a total fruit loop and no one takes any notice of what he says.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Talking about fitness - has anyone here done the 'Couch to 5K' programme. I have a medical procedure later this month and, depending on the outcome of that, I was thinking of giving it a go - see if I can get fit enough to play cricket this summer. It's mainly aerobic fitness I have a big problem with - which may be partially due to a medical ailment that the procedure will determine. ATM we're doing lots of walking but that won't get me fit enough.