Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:21 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:13 pm
Gospel wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:10 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:55 am I love how some people don't think a pay rise makes people be more motivated to work hard. Despite all the evidence happier people are more motivated to work hard or effectively. Perhaps they should state this when they are offered pay rises of their own in future
As a self-employed person I lose motivation the harder I am taxed.
I'm not arguing for more taxes for most people though.

Yes you are. No tax rise on a small amount of wealthy people can cover the spending. Again your economic genius coming to the fore.
No I'm not.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

message #2527204 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:38 pm
CM11 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:35 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:33 pm
clementinfrance wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:08 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:25 pm

He totally ignores the fact that the UK had absolutely zero mass production facilities for vaccine at the start of 2020. The insistence on building our own was due to Bingham's foresight when anticipating the EU response.
Are you talking about production facilities that the EU helped finance?
No. The UK facilities.
So yes.
So no.
Can you put up the debunking of the EU funding the UK plants, I guess I missed it in the noise on this thread.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

CM11 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:52 pm
clementinfrance wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:08 pm

Are you talking about production facilities that the EU helped finance?
No. The UK facilities.
So yes.
So no.
Can you put up the debunking of the EU funding the UK plants, I guess I missed it in the noise on this thread.
The original announcement of finding Astrazeneca as a partner for Oxford and providing the funding for scaling up production.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

message #2527204 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:03 pm

No. The UK facilities.
So yes.
So no.
The original announcement of finding Astrazeneca as a partner for Oxford and providing the funding for scaling up production.
I asked you to put up the proof debunking EU funds being used to ramp up the production in UK plants. Which was the claim made at the start of this whole debacle.

No one is disputing that UK funds were also used.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

What did the EU fund rather than just make orders?

CM11 just makes stuff up. How can he not accept that the EU f**ked up?
message #2527204

CM11 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:09 pm

So yes.
So no.
I asked you to put up the proof debunking EU funds being used to ramp up the production in UK plants. Which was the claim made at the start of this whole debacle.

Debunking? Why do I need to debunk your claims? The UK brokered a deal between AZ and Oxford group and gave funds for ramping production on the basis that it would manufacture 100m doses for the UK.

They didn't run off to the EU to borrow some money for it.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

message #2527204 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:17 pm

So no.

Debunking? Why do I need to debunk your claims? The UK brokered a deal between AZ and Oxford group and have funds for ramping production on the basis that it would manufacture 100m doses for the UK.

They didn't run off to the EU top borrow some money for it.
Yes and the EU brokered a deal that included deliveries from two UK plants and contributed funds for those plants. If you have proof showing AZ didn't actually receive or use those funds, go for it, but otherwise yes, you do have to debunk that claim if you want to argue you're not talking about plants the EU part funded.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

So no.

Debunking? Why do I need to debunk your claims? The UK brokered a deal between AZ and Oxford group and gave funds for ramping production on the basis that it would manufacture 100m doses for the UK.

They didn't run off to the EU to borrow some money for it.

The EU then ordered 350 million Euros worth, they funded nothing.
message #2527204

CM11 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:19 pm

Debunking? Why do I need to debunk your claims? The UK brokered a deal between AZ and Oxford group and have funds for ramping production on the basis that it would manufacture 100m doses for the UK.

Yes and the EU brokered a deal that included deliveries from two UK plants and contributed funds for those plants. If you have proof showing AZ didn't actually receive or use those funds, go for it, but otherwise yes, you do have to debunk that claim if you want to argue you're not talking about plants the EU part funded.
So the EU also funded plants in India and the US? Just because they funded their own supply chain doesn't mean the funded everyone else's too.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

No they didn't. They stipulated that supply was pre authorised from the UK plants, not that supplies were scheduled from there.

On the other hand from the Beeb:-

"The company said its agreement with the EU allowed the option of supplying Europe from UK sites, but only once the UK had sufficient supplies.

The full details of the company's deals with the UK and the EU have not been made public. But analysis by the Politico website points to a clause in the UK's contract which says the government "may terminate the deal and invoke what appear to be punishment clauses" if there is a delay in supply.

According to Politico, the EU waived its right to sue the company in the event of delivery delays. The European Commission says it is now involved in a "dispute mechanism" with the company."
Tommy Brown

Post by Tommy Brown »

Isn't the UK still paying in to the EU budget? If so then we are effectively helping to pay for the EU vaccines without getting any?
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:45 pm
Gospel wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:13 pm
eldanielfire wrote:The high streets certainly have a competitive disadvantage. It might even need a bigger look at balancing the wider retail picture.
Maybe it's time for us to accept the reality that most of us prefer to shop online for items and re-envisage how we use our high streets in future. Many traditional retailers are going the way of Blockbusters. I don't like it, but it's how things are.
Online retail has a competitive advantage. High streets are more than just businesses. They offer an important social hub and community interaction. Business rates cost tens of thousands. A quick google shows in London it's £269 per square meter with it being in the thousands in central London.

I believe there is space for both in the right circumstances. But our retail taxation and regulation model is outdated in many ways.
No you're missing the point. People are more inclined than ever to shop online which means that the high street is changing regardless. There's just no need to buy certain goods in person when you can do it with a touch of a button online. I should point out that I am thinking of your average market town across the length and breadth of Blighty and not one of the World's great capitals.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

message #2527204 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:23 pm

So the EU also funded plants in India and the US? Just because they funded their own supply chain doesn't mean the funded everyone else's too.
No. That doesn't even follow on from what I said as no Indian or US plants were mentioned.

Look, way back it was mentioned that the EU specifically contributed funds to the UK plants. I couldn't be arsed retracing those steps. I assumed given your certainty that it had been debunked. It seems you weren't even aware of this claim.

As you were, not worth discussing further.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Look, way back it was mentioned that the EU specifically contributed funds to the UK plants. I couldn't be arsed retracing those steps. I assumed given your certainty that it had been debunked. It seems you weren't even aware of this claim.

Up until 10 am yesterday morning the super EU Italian police squad had found 29 million secret doses destined for the U.K.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

bimboman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:01 pm

Up until 10 am yesterday morning the super EU Italian police squad had found 29 million secret doses destined for the U.K.
Destined for the UK?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Frodder wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:02 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:01 pm

Destined for the UK?

Well they weren’t of course, which is why I said 10am. I admit I was being sarcastic regarding the “mentioned” bit.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

CM11 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:43 pmLook, way back it was mentioned that the EU specifically contributed funds to the UK plants. I couldn't be arsed retracing those steps. I assumed given your certainty that it had been debunked. It seems you weren't even aware of this claim.

The EU has made a lot of noise about the fact that the facilities at Oxford University used to develop the vaccine had received considerable EU funding. Indeed, Oxford has raised the lack of such funding going forward as a major issue.

Perhaps that is what you are thinking about?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Edinburgh01 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:18 pm
CM11 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:43 pmLook, way back it was mentioned that the EU specifically contributed funds to the UK plants. I couldn't be arsed retracing those steps. I assumed given your certainty that it had been debunked. It seems you weren't even aware of this claim.

The EU has made a lot of noise about the fact that the facilities at Oxford University used to develop the vaccine had received considerable EU funding. Indeed, Oxford has raised he lack of such funding going forward as a major issue.

Nope.
Druid

Post by Druid »

“Novavax delays EU vaccine supply deal amid production problems”
Novavax is delaying signing a contract to supply its COVID-19 vaccine to the European Union, an EU official involved in the talks told Reuters, as the U.S. biotech company warned it was struggling to source some raw materials.
The EU official, who asked not to named as the talks are confidential, said the company had postponed signing a deal for weeks, citing legal issues in meetings with the bloc’s vaccine negotiators.
“They are slowing down the process of finishing the contract,” the official, who attended the meetings, told Reuters.
Do you think that the Novavax decision has been partly influenced by the EU overreaction and mudslinging over the Astrazeneca situation?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2BH2GY
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Druid wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:31 pm “Novavax delays EU vaccine supply deal amid production problems”
Novavax is delaying signing a contract to supply its COVID-19 vaccine to the European Union, an EU official involved in the talks told Reuters, as the U.S. biotech company warned it was struggling to source some raw materials.
The EU official, who asked not to named as the talks are confidential, said the company had postponed signing a deal for weeks, citing legal issues in meetings with the bloc’s vaccine negotiators.
“They are slowing down the process of finishing the contract,” the official, who attended the meetings, told Reuters.
Do you think that the Novavax decision has been partly influenced by the EU overreaction and mudslinging over the Astrazeneca situation?

Maybe this is one of the reasons why the EU seem to have rowed back a little bit on the prospect of Export bans
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Druid wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:31 pm “Novavax delays EU vaccine supply deal amid production problems”

That would seem entirely possible, possibly even likely. It's not like there's a shortage of customers out there - I'd guess that it was still a Sellers' market.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

i think i might be swerving the dodgy cunts
Druid

Post by Druid »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:37 pm

I can just imagine one of the Novavax negotiators saying that. :lol:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Edinburgh01 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:18 pm

The EU has made a lot of noise about the fact that the facilities at Oxford University used to develop the vaccine had received considerable EU funding. Indeed, Oxford has raised the lack of such funding going forward as a major issue.

I think the EU is purposely conflating things. They are acting like their payments for the Vaccine are the same as investing in the production.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

you prove the EU provided funds as you claim.
Petej

Post by Petej »

Druid wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:42 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:37 pm

I can just imagine one of the Novavax negotiators saying that. :lol:
It could be because they aren't sure they can deliver what the EU is asking for in the timescales given. The EU have likely learned their lesson and want delivery timescales not just best efforts. Bit boring and i'm sure a journalist can make a shitty story out of it.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:47 pm

Fúck off and stay out of my personal discussions.

As you would say.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

CM11 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:25 pm

As you would say.
you got that WRONG
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:27 pm
CM11 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:25 pm

As you would say.
you got that WRONG
I got my own opinion to tell you to fúck off wrong?

Just how arrogant are you?
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

Novavax are a serial hype machine that have ramped up their share prices only for it to collapse in disappointment afterwards. A year ago, they tried to build in a bumper payoff for the Executive team on the basis of positive Phase II (!) results, rather than impactful Phase III results - they were called on that.

They have a working approved vaccine at this stage developed in conjunction with BARDA which is to be very much applauded and supported. But neither has any experience delivering vaccines in the volumes demanded by the current pandemic crisis. Moderna is similar story where it looks like they have a fabulous vaccine but without the wherewithal to make enough to meet the demand.

So IMO, they realise that they have not got the capacity to deliver the volumes being demanded and better to push off Europe who look like they are difficult to deal with and that they should pick off where they can make the most money with their limited supply, once the US commitments have been fulfilled.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/worl ... e=Homepage

Boris Johnson heading to India in a few weeks to secure the vaccines. There are loads spare for the U.K. after looking after the needs of developing countries :lol:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:22 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/worl ... e=Homepage

Boris Johnson heading to India in a few weeks to secure the vaccines. There are loads spare for the U.K. after looking after the needs of developing countries :lol:
Ireland have vaccinated 13.9 out of every 100.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Prediction

1. No more AZ vaccine exports from EU to the UK
2. Pfizer vaccine exports from EU to UK will continue
3. Some meaningless agreement will be drawn up between the EU and UK (warm words but no real impact, maybe giving up rights to AZ vaccine in the EU.
4. No exports from UK to EU anytime soon.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:33 pm
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:22 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/worl ... e=Homepage

Fúck off talking about non UK matters. You're no longer in the EU so not entitled to comment.

As per your own attitude.
Blackrock Bullet

I know, I wish it was more. We’d have a near 400k doses if the EU had done what the U.K. had done on a per capita basis, enough for another another 4% to be fully vaccinated. Would have been great to take away doses from a place like India undergoing another deadly wave like the U.K. have.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Wow disgusting move by the Brits if true. I thought they were able to produce enough vaccine themselves?
Blackrock Bullet

Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:14 am

Wow disgusting move by the Brits if true. I thought they were able to produce enough vaccine themselves?
I commend them for doing it but as I said before, I don’t claim to be morally pure in wanting a vaccine ASAP. It is the dog eat dog world that they wanted and is a success. The claims by one poster in particular that there were excess vaccines there and not admitting the U.K. supply chain hadn’t produced what was hoped look more and more funny as we go on.
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:03 am

I know, I wish it was more. We’d have a near 400k doses if the EU had done what the U.K. had done on a per capita basis, enough for another another 4% to be fully vaccinated. Would have been great to take away doses from a place like India undergoing another deadly wave like the U.K. have.

AZ vaccine supply ain't coming from India for the moment ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... SKBN2BG27D
shanky

Post by shanky »

So, the EU formally blocks vaccine exports

Wow..just wow. This won't end well.

It's emblematic of their poor negotiating skills that they weren't able to get a deal done without actually going nuclear.
Last edited by shanky on Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:17 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:14 am

I commend them for doing it but as I said before, I don’t claim to be morally pure in wanting a vaccine ASAP. It is the dog eat dog world that they wanted and is a success. The claims by one poster in particular that there were excess vaccines there and not admitting the U.K. supply chain hadn’t produced what was hoped look more and more funny as we go on.
You commend them for trying to take vaccines from the developing world? That’s pretty f**ked up.