Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
Blackrock Bullet

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Botha Boy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:19 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:03 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:33 pm
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:22 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/worl ... e=Homepage

Boris Johnson heading to India in a few weeks to secure the vaccines. There are loads spare for the U.K. after looking after the needs of developing countries :lol:
Ireland have vaccinated 13.9 out of every 100.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I know, I wish it was more. We’d have a near 400k doses if the EU had done what the U.K. had done on a per capita basis, enough for another another 4% to be fully vaccinated. Would have been great to take away doses from a place like India undergoing another deadly wave like the U.K. have.

AZ vaccine supply ain't coming from India for the moment ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... SKBN2BG27D
I assume the U.K. supply chain which AZ said is going fine and was supposed to be producing for the EU in the near future can step in and give some to Covax.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:22 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:17 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:14 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:22 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/worl ... e=Homepage

Boris Johnson heading to India in a few weeks to secure the vaccines. There are loads spare for the U.K. after looking after the needs of developing countries :lol:
Wow disgusting move by the Brits if true. I thought they were able to produce enough vaccine themselves?
I commend them for doing it but as I said before, I don’t claim to be morally pure in wanting a vaccine ASAP. It is the dog eat dog world that they wanted and is a success. The claims by one poster in particular that there were excess vaccines there and not admitting the U.K. supply chain hadn’t produced what was hoped look more and more funny as we go on.
You commend them for trying to take vaccines from the developing world? That’s pretty f**ked up.
I don’t make any bones about it, I want to be free from Covid restrictions and that’s the only way about it.

Clearly thats what the U.K. are after too. They went in and took vaccines not earmarked for them because their own supply chain wasn’t delivering. I admire looking after themselves, even though it is ethically wrong.

I’m not going to pretend otherwise like some posters are here. I’m an upfront plum.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

shanky wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:21 am So, the EU formally blocks vaccine exports

Wow..just wow. This won't end well.

It's emblematic of their poor negotiating skills that they weren't able to get a deal done without actually going nuclear.
What? Where are you reading this?
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

mdaclarke wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:52 pm Prediction

1. No more AZ vaccine exports from EU to the UK
2. Pfizer vaccine exports from EU to UK will continue
3. Some meaningless agreement will be drawn up between the EU and UK (warm words but no real impact, maybe giving up rights to AZ vaccine in the EU.
4. No exports from UK to EU anytime soon.
So you predict the status quo?
shanky

Post by shanky »

Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:28 am
shanky wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:21 am So, the EU formally blocks vaccine exports

It's emblematic of their poor negotiating skills that they weren't able to get a deal done without actually going nuclear.
https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/eur ... 57e8m.html
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

shanky wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:31 am

Okay so no formal block on vaccine exports
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

message #2527204 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:28 am
mdaclarke wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:52 pm Prediction

1. No more AZ vaccine exports from EU to the UK
2. Pfizer vaccine exports from EU to UK will continue
3. Some meaningless agreement will be drawn up between the EU and UK (warm words but no real impact, maybe giving up rights to AZ vaccine in the EU.
4. No exports from UK to EU anytime soon.
So you predict the status quo?
Yes but with some face saving for the EU.

I note that Pfizer has been particularly vocal about it. I think (sensible) voices in the EU realise the damage breaking contracts and blocking vaccines will do.
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 am

I know, I wish it was more. We’d have a near 400k doses if the EU had done what the U.K. had done on a per capita basis, enough for another another 4% to be fully vaccinated. Would have been great to take away doses from a place like India undergoing another deadly wave like the U.K. have.

I assume the U.K. supply chain which AZ said is going fine and was supposed to be producing for the EU in the near future can step in and give some to Covax.
UK supply from the AZ Oxford & Wrexham plants cannot be expected to meet EU contractual demands for vaccines given that they have not exported a single dose to the EU to date, regardless of their "best effort" contract with the EU.The UK AZ production plants are included in the EU supply contract.

Shutting off supply of the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines is the obvious riposte from the EU to show that the UK does not hold all the cards. These vaccines are more expensive but more effective vaccines based on the clinical data to date. But it sets a crazy precedent that when replicated globally for critical materials, which are needed to produce vaccines and medicines, and as such could inadvertently cause great harm if implemented.

The US has not yet approved the AZ vaccine (despite good reported clinical data this week) and Denmark has a 3 week hold on administering it while they investigate further clotting events associated with the AZ vaccine.

So this story is going to run for a while.

The AZ vaccine is a good enough vaccine for COVID19 in my opinion so you should take it if offered, but everyone is on here talking politics as far as I can see ... so we need a bit of back and forth ... ;)
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Botha Boy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:51 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 am

UK supply from the AZ Oxford & Wrexham plants cannot be expected to meet EU contractual demands for vaccines given that they have not exported a single dose to the EU to date, regardless of their "best effort" contract with the EU.The UK AZ production plants are included in the EU supply contract.

Shutting off supply of the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines is the obvious riposte from the EU to show that the UK does not hold all the cards. These vaccines are more expensive but more effective vaccines based on the clinical data to date. But it sets a crazy precedent that when replicated globally for critical materials, which are needed to produce vaccines and medicines, and as such could inadvertently cause great harm if implemented.

The US has not yet approved the AZ vaccine (despite good reported clinical data this week) and Denmark has a 3 week hold on administering it while they investigate further clotting events associated with the AZ vaccine.

So this story is going to run for a while.

The AZ vaccine is a good enough vaccine for COVID19 in my opinion so you should take it if offered, but everyone is on here talking politics as far as I can see ... so we need a bit of back and forth ... ;)
The EU would be insane to cut of Pfizer as at least one of the components for it comes from the UK. If they cut off Pfizer the UK can cut off the components and then there will be no Pfizer for anybody.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

So the opposite of going nuclear?

They've formally allowed for blocking exports to countries that only need them for greed as opposed to public health.

How dare they.

Yes, yes, it's a risky economic decision for the future but ethically, I'm OK with them trying to save lives over economic concerns.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

CM11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:00 am

They've formally allowed for blocking exports to countries that only need them for greed as opposed to public health.

How dare they.

Yes, yes, it's a risky economic decision for the future but ethically, I'm OK with them trying to save lives over economic concerns.
But it won't save lives as if the EU blockades Pfizer then it is 99.9% guaranteed that the UK will blockade the Pfizer ingredients meaning that neither the EU or UK gets Pfizer.

Also I can't imagine that many pharmaceutical companies will be banging down the EU's door to invest and build production facilities in the EU in future.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Yeah, we'll see..

It's risky on the economic front but the EU have more than just their not considerable existing pharma to worry about.

And ultimately pharma will go with the most cost effective option. No pharma involved in all this is going to end up losing money.

But as I said, ethically suggesting they'll only block exports to countries that are looking to give vaccines to low risk people makes sense to me while 1000s of EU citizens die every day and their death rate compared to well served nations is stark.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

How dare they.

So, I assume they won't vaccinate anyone in the EU that is less vulnerable than someone in any other country who remain to be vaccinated - that would surely save more lives..........
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Just to put some figures to that, nearly 30% of yesterday's deaths were in the EU and the death rate is nearly 5 times UK's current.

Food for thought.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

ovalball wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:33 am

How dare they.

So, I assume they won't vaccinate anyone in the EU that is less vulnerable than someone in any other country who remain to be vaccinated - that would surely save more lives..........
I would back that. But how about we start by saving the people who would otherwise die?

They're not doing this because of some sort of Brexit revenge ffs.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

mdaclarke wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:08 am

How dare they.

But it won't save lives as if the EU blockades Pfizer then it is 99.9% guaranteed that the UK will blockade the Pfizer ingredients meaning that neither the EU or UK gets Pfizer.

Also I can't imagine that many pharmaceutical companies will be banging down the EU's door to invest and build production facilities in the EU in future.
I think the UK would strongly resist blocking exports of vital ingredients for the Pfizer vaccine - but if the EU stop the supply of Pfizer doses, and it jeopardises the UK's programmes of 2nd jabs, I think the UK will have no choice but to suspend such exports until a deal is reached.

And, with the way the EU is acting, they may find it increasingly difficult to get Suppliers to sign new contracts.

The UK will do just fine if the Pfizer contract is honoured - that and the UK supply of AZ, plus Moderna starting supplies next month, should enable us to meet the targets - maybe a bit slower than we have been achieving - but it'll be OK.
shanky

Post by shanky »

How dare they.

You’re (perhaps willfully) misinterpreting my clear words.

I criticised them for their negotiating skills, not for (rationally) doing things to protect their citizens.

They could have strong-armed Britain into a compromise (because, let’s face it - this is aimed at the UK) without completely trashing their sovereign risk credentials.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I’m glad the eu have been put back in their box, was nice to have a light shone on them for a while though.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

CM11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:35 am Just to put some figures to that, nearly 30% of yesterday's deaths were in the EU and the death rate is nearly 5 times UK's current.

Food for thought.

But but but, Angela Merkel is a scientist.....
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

ovalball wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:44 am
mdaclarke wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:08 am

How dare they.

I think the UK would strongly resist blocking exports of vital ingredients for the Pfizer vaccine - but if the EU stop the supply of Pfizer doses, and it jeopardises the UK's programmes of 2nd jabs, I think the UK will have no choice but to suspend such exports until a deal is reached.

And, with the way the EU is acting, they may find it increasingly difficult to get Suppliers to sign new contracts.

The UK will do just fine if the Pfizer contract is honoured - that and the UK supply of AZ, plus Moderna starting supplies next month, should enable us to meet the targets - maybe a bit slower than we have been achieving - but it'll be OK.
This 100%, and the main reason why I think the outcome will be a block on AZ but no block on Pfizer or any other. Will allow the EU to save face but not major major impact on the UK rollout.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

Can you only imagine the behaviour of some posters should the shoe have been on the other foot? "It's your fault you're not getting any vaccine" "we told you Brexit was going to kill people" "people are dying because you're racist"

...and to say they wouldn't have behaved like this is a down right lie which is why their moral indignation at the UK is, to be frank, bollocks.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

DAC_ wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:52 am Can you only imagine the behaviour of some posters should the shoe have been on the other foot? "It's your fault you're not getting any vaccine" "we told you Brexit was going to kill people" "people are dying because you're racist"

...and to say they wouldn't have behaved like this is a down right lie which is why their moral indignation at the UK is, to be frank, bollocks.
This 100%, I see it as no different to the issues with Brexit at all stages we have heard (the EU are just enforcing their rights, this is the agreement you signed etc) well in this case the UK are just enforcing their rights and these are the agreements the UK and EU signed.

An example of this is ham sandwiches being seized at the border and the issue with shellfish.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

CM11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:35 am Just to put some figures to that, nearly 30% of yesterday's deaths were in the EU and the death rate is nearly 5 times UK's current.

Food for thought.
id rather no one but if it has to be someone id rather EU than me
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

CM11 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:54 pm

Fúck off talking about non UK matters. You're no longer in the EU so not entitled to comment.

As per your own attitude.
I think Anon broke you a little.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Sounds like EU has stepped back from the brink of becoming a rogue state. Won’t block exports of legally contracted products. Still a question mark over what they will do for AZ export orders from Europe which frankly looks like a pathetic fig leaf to divert attention from their failures.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:19 am

Fúck off talking about non UK matters. You're no longer in the EU so not entitled to comment.

CM11’s bravery under fire against insurmountable odds would have earned him a VC in past conflicts. :lol:
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:02 am

Food for thought.
:lol:

Boom TISH!
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

DAC_ wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:52 am Can you only imagine the behaviour of some posters should the shoe have been on the other foot? "It's your fault you're not getting any vaccine" "we told you Brexit was going to kill people" "people are dying because you're racist"

Yeah, sneering on planet rugby forum, just as bad as taking vaccines from the developing world.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:25 am

CM11’s bravery under fire against insurmountable odds would have earned him a VC in past conflicts. :lol:
From a distinguished line of U boat refuellers.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Christopher Nolan might make a film about it
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:22 am Sounds like EU has stepped back from the brink of becoming a rogue state. Won’t block exports of legally contracted products. Still a question mark over what they will do for AZ export orders from Europe which frankly looks like a pathetic fig leaf to divert attention from their failures.
Even Juncker is basically telling Ursula Von der Leyden her whole vaccine stance is bloody stupid:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 22452.html

But I'm sure we'll have a few certain posters deflect/defend/justify/make false comparisons/blame AstraZeneca/etc
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:32 am
terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:22 am Sounds like EU has stepped back from the brink of becoming a rogue state. Won’t block exports of legally contracted products. Still a question mark over what they will do for AZ export orders from Europe which frankly looks like a pathetic fig leaf to divert attention from their failures.
Even Juncker is basically telling Ursula Von der Leyden her whole vaccine stance is bloody stupid:

But I'm sure we'll have a few certain posters deflect/defend/justify/make false comparisons/blame AstraZeneca/etc
But you said many times on the Brexit thread that Juncker was an idiot
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:32 am
I don’t want to divert the thread but to what extent did the Irish assist the Nazis in WW2?
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:35 am

Incredibly he is proving a genius compared to the current EU leadership. Why the EU insists on putting such low grade people into leadership positions is part of their problem.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:25 am

It's weird. CM11 is a good poster who has a long history of making sensible posts in this topic. I usually have high respect for him even if I disagree with him.

Then when the EU lost the plot and shat the bed over vaccines, he went into that "crazed Irish defend the EU" red mist mentality. What's worse in a debate where the EUs actions are roundly being condemned and seen as unacceptable by just about every body. It's why I made a comparison with Bomboman as a mirror to what he's doing. But it is out of character IMO. I'm not sure why the EU is such a partisan red line for him to defend. I'm not sure he even realises it.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:02 am

Food for thought.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:36 am
I don’t want to divert the thread but to what extent did the Irish assist the Nazis in WW2?
Afaik it’s a boredom? Never seen it anywhere else. It makes me lol anyway, the thought of some fisherman with a Texaco pump on the quayside.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Naughty!

“Tallest Midget”
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Interesting, a search for 'Juncker' and 'idiot' under eldanielfire brings up zero search results. Changing idiot for stupid brings up a few, all of them me quoting someone else and none about Juncker's level of intelligence.

Perhaps you can tell me and the board software when I seriously asserted this?