All things Rugby
Blackrock Bullet

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

DAC_ wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:48 am
Much criticism of AstraZeneca but as
@MarkUrban01
pointed out...

Little criticism of French based Sanofi and German CureVac who despite 500 million EU orders haven’t yet produced a vaccine

AstraZeneca getting blamed for lack of supplies but at least have a vaccine to supply?
That makes no sense.

The criticism of AZ remains primarily about their communication. They are separate issues.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

MrDominator wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:12 am
CM11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:06 am
DAC_ wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:02 am Great, so are you going to also stop insinuating we give our vaccines to the EU now?

The UK has arguably led the world in the fight against the virus and I'm sure we will continue to do even more once we have attended to our citizens first.
I'm going to continue to defend the EU looking after their citizens in a manner which acts to save 5 rather than 1.

The UK could get a diplomatic win on this but don't seem to want it (possibly no major upside, dunno).
This is confused. Do you back the EU looking after its citizens? Fair enough - but then the same principle equally applies to the UK looking after its citizens.

Or is it about saving more people? Well, the top 5 total death rates in the world are all outside the EU (USA, Brazil, Mexico, India, UK) so on that basis the EU should be exporting its vaccines to save more human lives
The UK is not in the top 5 current death rates.

India never has been.

USA is currently much lower than the EU and have vaccinated to a much higher level.

Mexico is much lower than EU too.

But the point was about vaccinating the vulnerable. I would certainly be in favour of the EU stopping once the elderly and vulnerable were vaccinated and only restarting when the needs of the rest of the world were met.

I've had this attitude from the start, I'm happy to go with the stats for my age and health and risk catching covid as long as I know I'm not going to risk passing it on to someone vulnerable.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Trostan wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:54 am
terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:36 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:32 am
From a distinguished line of U boat refuellers.
Christopher Nolan might make a film about it
I don’t want to divert the thread but to what extent did the Irish assist the Nazis in WW2?

Understandable, given that 20 years before WWII, the English had bombed the crap out of Dublin and Cork
You numpties should have realised the then current danger was the Germans which meant the English were your friends for the duration. Sitting on your hands leaving them and everyone else to defend your women and children was pathetic.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

CM11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:18 am But the point was about vaccinating the vulnerable. I would certainly be in favour of the EU stopping once the elderly and vulnerable were vaccinated and only restarting when the needs of the rest of the world were met.

I've had this attitude from the start, I'm happy to go with the stats for my age and health and risk catching covid as long as I know I'm not going to risk passing it on to someone vulnerable.
That's fair enough. I'd agree the same for the UK. We're probably almost there already to be honest
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

CM11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:49 am This situation could have happened with the UK in the EU. This is like the crowing about the UK authorising Pfizer earlier than the EMA and calling it a Brexit win when it had nothing to do with Brexit.
Purely by luck, it apparently did.

I can't recall where I read this, but one of the reasons the MHRA was faster than the EMA was apparently that when the EMA relocated out of the UK, a lot of experienced staff stayed behind, some of whom then joined the MHRA.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

CM11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:18 am
DAC_ wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:02 am Great, so are you going to also stop insinuating we give our vaccines to the EU now?

The UK has arguably led the world in the fight against the virus and I'm sure we will continue to do even more once we have attended to our citizens first.
I'm going to continue to defend the EU looking after their citizens in a manner which acts to save 5 rather than 1.

The UK could get a diplomatic win on this but don't seem to want it (possibly no major upside, dunno).
This is confused. Do you back the EU looking after its citizens? Fair enough - but then the same principle equally applies to the UK looking after its citizens.

Or is it about saving more people? Well, the top 5 total death rates in the world are all outside the EU (USA, Brazil, Mexico, India, UK) so on that basis the EU should be exporting its vaccines to save more human lives

India never has been.

USA is currently much lower than the EU and have vaccinated to a much higher level.

But the point was about vaccinating the vulnerable. I would certainly be in favour of the EU stopping once the elderly and vulnerable were vaccinated and only restarting when the needs of the rest of the world were met.

That's easy to say when you know, full well, that it is not what the EU will do.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

CM11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:03 am Lads, I have criticised the EU for how they've handled many things on this matter. However you lot have made it a Brexit thing from the start when it was, and still is, a dispute between AZ and the EU.

I could understand the braying and even think it was all a bit of craic of it wasn't for 3000 EU citizens currently dying per day while the UK death rate heads towards zero.

So yeah, I'm not going to apologise for the EU trying to save lives while you smug pricks condone giving vaccines to healthy UK citizens over vulnerable EU (or anywhere in the world) citizens.
I've criticised both the EU and UK for their coronavirus actions. I've criticised posters in this thread for portraying the UK government as some wonderful entity who didn't make serious covid mistakes.

But it's the EU who made this issue with AstraZeneca about the UK/Brexit. It's the EU raiding factories due to paranoia that are hordes of secret supplies of vaccines secretly going to the UK. It's the EU who kept bringing up what the UK was doing in their negotiations with AstraZeneca.

It's not been the PR pro-UK posters on this particular issue making it about the UK. Only you and a few others seem to what to make it like the criticisms these part month or so are just partisan posters making it something it is not.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

ovalball wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:48 am
CM11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:18 am

India never has been.

That's easy to say when you know, full well, that it is not what the EU will do.
I can only say how I personally feel. If I had the choice for the EU, that's what I'd do. I can't help it if you think it's hollow.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

mdaclarke wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:52 pm Prediction

1. No more AZ vaccine exports from EU to the UK
2. Pfizer vaccine exports from EU to UK will continue
3. Some meaningless agreement will be drawn up between the EU and UK (warm words but no real impact, maybe giving up rights to AZ vaccine in the EU.
4. No exports from UK to EU anytime soon.
I think that is exactly what will happen.

The EU has a moral case with AZ, even if the legalities are messed up. I doubt they would get much censure by acting against them.

Pfizer on the other hand has been reasonable to everyone, and their supply to the UK was always based on production in their EU plants. Taking action that would affect Pfizer fulfilling a commercial contract would be damaging.

That would then allow everyone claim success.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

This thread is interesting in how it shows how quickly relationships can deteriorate once discussions are wrapped in the flags of nationalism.

A global pandemic has become a cock size competition, which slowly degenerates into an almost hateful debate.

Politicians, keen to hide their flaws behind the smoke screen of National Pride or Spurious Enemy, stir these debates and people swallow the propaganda, become polarized and forget about the true domestic issues.

I am amazed at the arrogance or condescending tone of some posts. I am amused by the attempts at finding rationale and ethical explanations to something that has ultimately become a race for the survival of one people over others.

No side is better than the other. One fecked up massively and is trying to make up for it by threatening the use of force, the other one admit having been led by "greed", or selfishness (at this least, this was honest).
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Edinburgh01 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:51 am

3. Some meaningless agreement will be drawn up between the EU and UK (warm words but no real impact, maybe giving up rights to AZ vaccine in the EU.

The EU has a moral case with AZ, even if the legalities are messed up. I doubt they would get much censure by acting against them.

Pfizer on the other hand has been reasonable to everyone, and their supply to the UK was always based on production in their EU plants. Taking action that would affect Pfizer fulfilling a commercial contract would be damaging.

What about the Aussies
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:56 am
Edinburgh01 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:51 am

What about the Aussies
I was only thinking of the EU / UK dispute. So 'both' is a better word than 'everyone'.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

TheFrog wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:54 am This thread is interesting in how it shows how quickly relationships can deteriorate once discussions are wrapped in the flags of nationalism.

A global pandemic has become a cock size competition, which slowly degenerates into an almost hateful debate.

Politicians, keen to hide their flaws behind the smoke screen of National Pride or Spurious Enemy, stir these debates and people swallow the propaganda, become polarized and forget about the true domestic issues.

I am amazed at the arrogance or condescending tone of some posts. I am amused by the attempts at finding rationale and ethical explanations to something that has ultimately become a race for the survival of one people over others.

No side is better than the other. One fecked up massively and is trying to make up for it by threatening the use of force, the other one admit having been led by "greed", or selfishness (at this least, this was honest).
That last paragraph is a bit disingenous and being taken completely out of context - the blonde buffoon was clearly referring to the success in developing and producing a vaccine.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

TheFrog wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:54 am This thread is interesting in how it shows how quickly relationships can deteriorate once discussions are wrapped in the flags of nationalism.

Good grief, it's not a race for survival of one people over others.
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

:nod:
Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

DAC_ wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:04 pm

Isn't it? So why are governments so desperate to secure vaccine supply?
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

clementinfrance wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:05 pm
:nod:
Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind.
This is bollocks. Nationalism/Tribalism is part of our very nature. We need to belong to a tribe.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

TheFrog wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:07 pm

It has a death rate of far less than 1%

It's about getting back to normal, not about survival.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Scientists in Germany predicting that Germany heading for 100,000 new cases per day. ☹️

I do think we in UK have to help our EU friends, despite their behaviour.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:11 pm Scientists in Germany predicting that Germany heading for 100,000 new cases per day. ☹️

:thumbup:
Varsity Way

Post by Varsity Way »

DAC_ wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:13 pm
terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:11 pm Scientists in Germany predicting that Germany heading for 100,000 new cases per day. ☹️

:thumbup:
Aye, they have cars to build
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

DAC_ wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:10 pm

Why is getting back to normal important?

I don't mean survival as in avoiding the end of the world, but there are many things to save, as such, this is a type of survival race. However there is one important thing that we, rich countries, seem to forget: as long as other countries suffer high infections, back to normal will be limited. First because economies are inter-linked today and second because these countries will remain a breeding ground for mutating forms of the virus of which the odd dangerous one capable of evading our immune system defenses could escape.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

TheFrog wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:54 am

I hate Boris but even so i dismissed that straight away. Im sorry but taking that at face value does not reflect well on you.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

bimboman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:02 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:47 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:17 am Some of you loot think Bimbo and I agree on everything.

We do not.

However, I consider his last post 100% correct.

Economically.

Morally
you and bimbo are cunts of a feather

Yeah it’s a moral thing to demand poorly paid private sector workers support an ever burgeoning private sector. You’re so “moral”
Jesus, they have to pay themselves!?
Petej

Post by Petej »

Friggin modellers. Just can't see that happening. New restrictions, better weather and people's increased caution when rates are high mean that it is unlikely to happen.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Petej wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:35 pm

Friggin modellers. Just can't see that happening. New restrictions, better weather and people's increased caution when rates are high mean that it is unlikely to happen.
Our previous top model chap predicated 500k dead but took time out to get up to his extra curricular activities
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

TheFrog wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:27 pm

Are you drunk?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Yeah, COVID rates have never risen in Europe in march before........ ;)
Blackrock Bullet

I'd agree with you there. I'm sure they are scared of Easter but they are taking a worst case scenario there to try and get population compliance one last time.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:46 pm

I'd agree with you there. I'm sure they are scared of Easter but they are taking a worst case scenario there to try and get population compliance one last time.
Of course, and if it works it's done it's job.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:47 pm

It’s an abomination of state policy ....

Make up things to scare your populous into behaviour preferences.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I don't mean survival as in avoiding the end of the world, but there are many things to save, as such, this is a type of survival race. However there is one important thing that we, rich countries, seem to forget: as long as other countries suffer high infections, back to normal will be limited. First because economies are inter-linked today and second because these countries will remain a breeding ground for mutating forms of the virus of which the odd dangerous one capable of evading our immune system defenses could escape.

Back to normal in Rich countries is far more important to the poor nations than the rich ones.

Millions more globally will die early due to the economic issues than directly from covid.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

DAC_ wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:37 pm
TheFrog wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:27 pm

Are you drunk?
No, just inviting you to think... as per the rest of that message. Back to normal is back to normal life. To having a life again. Survival.
Petej

Post by Petej »

bimboman wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:51 pm

Back to normal in Rich countries is far more important to the poor nations than the rich ones.

Millions more globally will die early due to the economic issues than directly from covid.
Agreed.
Rich countries have more old people who are most at risk of death from covid. Younger people are far more at risk due to economic deprivation. The mutants thing is annoying as it is highly unlikely a mutant will form that completely evades our immune system.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:49 pm

That's not what most call temporary measures that are designed to save lives.
Blackrock Bullet

I see a few countries have opened their borders completely with Israel. Great news to get global mobility going again.
shanky

Post by shanky »

The odd thing about Europe is that, for the longest time, they’ve had this cloying holier-than-thou attitude about everything from crisps to ships to the environment

Watching them grub around in the ditch, fighting over the last life-vest - discovering that (in fact) their shit stinks just the same as everybody else’s - is quite illuminating
Last edited by shanky on Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:59 pm
bimboman wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:49 pm

That's not what most call temporary measures that are designed to save lives.

If you exchange “freedom” for “safety” you deserve neither.

Many if the terrible things that “states” have done in history have been done in the name of “safety” calling it temporary or giving it a purpose doesn’t change the abhorrent nature of the actions.
Last edited by bimboman on Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackrock Bullet

Petej wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:59 pm
bimboman wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:51 pm

Agreed.
Rich countries have more old people who are most at risk of death from covid. Younger people are far more at risk due to economic deprivation. The mutants thing is annoying as it is highly unlikely a mutant will form that completely evades our immune system.
The mutant/variant stuff was mostly a political invention to try and get compliance at Christmas. It has snowballed into the mess we have now.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Just out of interest, looking at the EU

a) Bosnia - fail
b) Ukraine invasion - fail
c) N. Ireland - did not play (replaced by USA)
d) Syrian reffos - fail
e) Vaccines - destroyed all EU goodwill but added more jabs to the fridge - verdict:partial
f) harmonised tariffs on sanitary pads - success

Did I miss anything?