Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
Zico

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Zico »

DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:23 pm
TheFrog wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:52 pm Guys, you're making me sick with your xenophobia.

France is struggling with its third wave of COVID epidemic, just like the UK did earlier. Make it an nationalist issue if you want. Piss on France if that floats your boat. But look at figures and stats in context.
Hold up!

It's about Macron rubbishing the vaccine to an already anti vax French public, and now blaming the uk.
How do you think the public mood in France and the rest of Europe would be if they heard the shit coming out of your government that we hear?
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Zico wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:50 pm
TheFrog wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:52 pm Guys, you're making me sick with your xenophobia.

France is struggling with its third wave of COVID epidemic, just like the UK did earlier. Make it an nationalist issue if you want. Piss on France if that floats your boat. But look at figures and stats in context.
Hold up!

It's about Macron rubbishing the vaccine to an already anti vax French public, and now blaming the uk.
How do you think the public mood in France and the rest of Europe would be if they heard the shit coming out of your government that we hear?
Like what?
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Hold up!

This sort of thing?
'All I can say is we in this country don't believe in blockades of any kind of vaccines or vaccine materials.

'It's not something that this country would dream of engaging in and I'm encouraged in some of the things I've heard from the continent in the same sense.'
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Novavax have a good vaccine and UK has ordered 60 million doses. Apparently they are refusing to sign a contract with the EU because of the behaviour of the EU towards AZ, according to confidential EU source.
message #2527204

terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:56 pm Novavax have a good vaccine and UK has ordered 60 million doses. Apparently they are refusing to sign a contract with the EU because of the behaviour of the EU towards AZ, according to confidential EU source.
Link?

We also have the Curevac faciltity in Scotland for mRNA boosters for this winter.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

Hold up!

Our government are a bunch of idiots lead by a moron, but none of them have tried to cover for their mistakes by rubbishing a vaccine or threatened legislation to cover for their inability to negotiate a decent contract.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

message #2527204 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:00 pm
terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:56 pm Novavax have a good vaccine and UK has ordered 60 million doses. Apparently they are refusing to sign a contract with the EU because of the behaviour of the EU towards AZ, according to confidential EU source.
Link?

We also have the Curevac faciltity in Scotland for mRNA boosters for this winter.
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Novavax is delaying signing a contract to supply its COVID-19 vaccine to the European Union, an EU official involved in the talks told Reuters, as the U.S. biotech company warned it was struggling to source some raw materials.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

A5D5E5 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:00 pm

Hold up!

Our government are a bunch of idiots lead by a moron, but none of them have tried to cover for their mistakes by rubbishing a vaccine or threatened legislation to cover for their inability to negotiate a decent contract.
Exactly. There’s no whataboutery angle.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

clementinfrance wrote:It's only the flag waving British boredies associating the UK with AZ.
Yeah it's all in our heads.
Petej

Post by Petej »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:06 pm
Link?

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Novavax is delaying signing a contract to supply its COVID-19 vaccine to the European Union, an EU official involved in the talks told Reuters, as the U.S. biotech company warned it was struggling to source some raw materials.
Not signing a contract because you don't think you can meet it comes under common sense/good management/being cautious. Hardly due to how EU/AZ are behaving. I suspect the EU want a defined delivery schedule not "best efforts". No one's happy when you can't meet an expected delivery schedule in any industry.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Link?

I suspect that this time around the EU lawyers are demanding the first born of every Novavax executive to be held in ransom of orders being fulfilled.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Petej wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:36 pm
Link?

Not signing a contract because you don't think you can meet it comes under common sense/good management/being cautious. Hardly due to how EU/AZ are behaving. I suspect the EU want a defined delivery schedule not "best efforts". No one's happy when you can't meet an expected delivery schedule in any industry.

And as a result the EU aren’t even in the queue, never mind at the back. They haven’t got a clue.
Petej

Post by Petej »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:41 pm
Link?

And as a result the EU aren’t even in the queue, never mind at the back. They haven’t got a clue.
People slate the EU for having a weak contract with AZ and then slate them again for likely trying to not have a weak contract with novavax. A shit contract with novavax is pointless as medium term the EU will have enough to vaccinate their population before the end of the summer. Which means a contract with novavax is only worth it if it can alleviate short term issues.

These companies aren't stupid and are perfectly capable of holding their own and playing silly bugger's.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Petej wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:54 pm

Link?

People slate the EU for having a weak contract with AZ and then slate them again for likely trying to not have a weak contract with novavax. A shit contract with novavax is pointless as medium term the EU will have enough to vaccinate their population before the end of the summer. Which means a contract with novavax is only worth it if it can alleviate short term issues.

These companies aren't stupid and are perfectly capable of holding their own and playing silly bugger's.
I imagine that Novavax may not been keen to sign a Contract with the EU given the way the EU have treated AZ.

The UK signed a contract with Novavax in August but if the EU signs a contract tomorrow they will claim the evil UK is stealing their vaccines and then send the military police into Novavax's factory looking for "stolen" vaccines.

And people wonder why Novavax may be a little bit reluctant to do business with these jokers.
Last edited by mdaclarke on Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Link?

Having seen how the benevolent AZ have been treated I would imagine a commercial enterprise would be crawling over contracts.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Link?

I don't think the EU had a weak contract. There is no way that AZ would have fully committed to a delivery schedule under the circumstances. I don't think they did with the UK (eg the 30m they were supposed to deliver last year) - the main difference was that the UK's relationship with AZ was different and, being 1st in, their deliveries, correctly, had priority.

What made the EU's contract look weak was how badly the Commission misunderstood the level of commitment written into it.

I doubt any Pharma company is going to make a firm commitment to a delivery schedule unless they are doing it from Stock.
Petej

Post by Petej »

ovalball wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:13 pm

I don't think the EU had a weak contract. There is no way that AZ would have fully committed to a delivery schedule under the circumstances. I don't think they did with the UK (eg the 30m they were supposed to deliver last year) - the main difference was that the UK's relationship with AZ was different and, being 1st in, their deliveries, correctly, had priority.

What made the EU's contract look weak was how badly the Commission misunderstood the level of commitment written into it.

I doubt any Pharma company is going to make a firm commitment to a delivery schedule unless they are doing it from Stock.
The UK is different due to the relationship with AZ but AZ were trying to export to Australia which would indicate that the EU contract is weak. You are still going to want a guaranteed minimum level of delivery and a schedule. I'd be surprised if pharma doesn't make firm commitments with things still in manufacture as holding stock would require storage which is expensive and not lean.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Link?

I’m not sure you or the EU get it. Hundreds of thousands of people are dying. The EU has been too slow throughout the vaccine process. Rather than seeing the vaccines as the key to getting out of this crisis, the greatest crisis ever faced by the EU, it’s as if they are trying to buy paracetamol. They are pissing about with delivery schedules and price when in fact they should be buying as many vaccines as possible, as quickly as possible, accepting that this is all new and innovative technology. Working with suppliers rather than trying to muscle suppliers is needed quickly or the EU will still be in this mess in 12 months time.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Petej wrote:I'd be surprised if pharma doesn't make firm commitments with things still in manufacture as holding stock would require storage which is expensive and not lean.
I thought they committed to flow which as we have seen is subject to change due to uncertain nature of vaccine production.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Link?

No one is slating them having a strong contract. The slating is due to their behaviour on the first putting off others. This plays into the future dealings.
Petej

Post by Petej »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:33 pm

I’m not sure you or the EU get it. Hundreds of thousands of people are dying. The EU has been too slow throughout the vaccine process. Rather than seeing the vaccines as the key to getting out of this crisis, the greatest crisis ever faced by the EU, it’s as if they are trying to buy paracetamol. They are pissing about with delivery schedules and price when in fact they should be buying as many vaccines as possible, as quickly as possible, accepting that this is all new and innovative technology. Working with suppliers rather than trying to muscle suppliers is needed quickly or the EU will still be in this mess in 12 months time.
The EU do get it hence the flailing around. Unfortunately, some of the vaccines they went for didn't work which isn't unusual in vaccine development. There actually aren't many places doing better than the EU with vaccines (UK, USA, Israel, Chile, UAE)
Petej

Post by Petej »

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/incre ... er-moderna

While politicians and journalists flail around the latter in particular determined to make people feel as shit as possible other people are busy making stuff happen.
Clouseau

Post by Clouseau »

clementinfrance wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:52 pm
terryfinch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:45 pm
clementinfrance wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:41 pm
Gospel wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:46 pm
juddy wrote:Claiming they "made a complete mess of trials" is rather ridiculous, seeing as they were one of the first to produce an approved vaccine. they are guilty of overpromising and underachieving in terms of production and delivery, but they are hardly alone in this.
AZ and by association the UK have become convenient scapegoats for the incompetency and failures of others.

It's only the flag waving British boredies associating the UK with AZ.

Time and time again non-Brits have said the UK has done a great job, that the EU f**ked up but also that AZ have a fair share of the responsibilty regarding the current debacle.

But hey feel free to bring out the old "every body hates us and is jealous schtick" one more time...
Give AZ a break though. At least they are producing vaccines for you in their millions, saving French people. Sanofi took billions of your money and have saved no-one, nobody, not a single person!
Yes Sanofi was the wrong horse to back initially. Doesn't change a thing to my post though.
Sanofi are entering phase II, along with their British partner, GSK (so who according to our friend terryfinch has also benefited from billions of EU taxpayers money). Meanwhile they are actively helping Pfizer and J&J in developing and producing their vaccines, in order to save people.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Petej wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:43 pm https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/incre ... er-moderna

While politicians and journalists flail around the latter in particular determined to make people feel as shit as possible other people are busy making stuff happen.
That is great news. Signs of light at the end of the tunnel.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Looking at the number of COVID cases at a global level, it does look like this bastard of a virus is about to explode. I hope I’m wrong but I wonder whether we haven’t seen anything yet. :(( :(( :((
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

terryfinch wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:09 am Looking at the number of COVID cases at a global level, it does look like this bastard of a virus is about to explode. I hope I’m wrong but I wonder whether we haven’t seen anything yet. :(( :(( :((
Sharp increase in global numbers alright Over the last week or so. I haven't looked in much detail at them. Where in particular is the increase concentrated?
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Folks in Ireland got their jab yesterday :P :P

Not much notice given, got a phone call and told be down the clinic in three hours. Huge relief.
message #2527204

danny_fitz wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:54 am Folks in Ireland got their jab yesterday :P :P

Not much notice given, got a phone call and told be down the clinic in three hours. Huge relief.
:thumbup:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

My mum's got her 2nd dose booked for next week now :thumbup:
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Leinsterman wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:13 am
terryfinch wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:09 am Looking at the number of COVID cases at a global level, it does look like this bastard of a virus is about to explode. I hope I’m wrong but I wonder whether we haven’t seen anything yet. :(( :(( :((
Sharp increase in global numbers alright Over the last week or so. I haven't looked in much detail at them. Where in particular is the increase concentrated?
Yesterday's new cases:

S America 130K
Asia 156K
Europe 237K
Africa 11K
N America 93K
Oceania 0.5K

So, apart from Oceania and Africa, it is rampant everywhere! N America starting to get on top of it with the massive vaccine rollout perhaps.
message #2527204

terryfinch wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:43 am
Yesterday's new cases:

S America 130K
Asia 156K
Europe 237K
Africa 11K
N America 93K
Oceania 0.5K

So, apart from Oceania and Africa, it is rampant everywhere! N America starting to get on top of it with the massive vaccine rollout perhaps.
Germany just passed US on number of daily confirmed cases.
message #2527204

Petej wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:43 pm https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/incre ... er-moderna

Why didn't they do this last year like the UK?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

message #2527204 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:51 am
Yesterday's new cases:

S America 130K
Asia 156K
Europe 237K
Africa 11K
N America 93K
Oceania 0.5K

Wut?

What metric have you used to make that statement?
message #2527204

CM11 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:05 am
message #2527204 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:51 am
Yesterday's new cases:

S America 130K
Asia 156K
Europe 237K
Africa 11K
N America 93K
Oceania 0.5K

Wut?

What metric have you used to make that statement?
7 day average of confirmed cases per 1m population.

UK has dropped below Israel.
Last edited by message #2527204 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

:thumbup:
Varsity Way

Post by Varsity Way »

I had a vaccination unexpectedly in hospital this week so had to cancel 2 pre booked vaccination appointments. I rang my surgery and everything from the hospital had fed back, appointments cancelled and everything logged for arranging my second jab. Brilliant organisation.

No side effects from the jab other than injection site sore for a day.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

bimboman wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:36 pm
Clouseau wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:35 pm
DAC_ wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:10 pm It has a death rate of far less than 1%

It's about getting back to normal, not about survival.
But this is not about the death rate of the disease, it's about what our respective national health services can handle.

After a year of being able to adapt and prepare for these events.
Quite. If by 'adapting' you mean leaving everybody else to rot.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Yesterday's new cases:

S America 130K
Asia 156K
Europe 237K
Africa 11K
N America 93K
Oceania 0.5K

There was an interesting article somewhere during the week about South Africa and how cases have fallen off a cliff there, yet we're all supposed to be worried about the "SA variant".
Seems odd
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Leinsterman wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:46 am
Yesterday's new cases:

S America 130K
Asia 156K
Europe 237K
Africa 11K
N America 93K
Oceania 0.5K

There was an interesting article somewhere during the week about South Africa and how cases have fallen off a cliff there, yet we're all supposed to be worried about the "SA variant".
Seems odd
Variants was the buzz word starting Christmas to justify u turn number 16363783. So far I've seen the Bristol, Liverpool, South African, Brazil, New York, Kent, Philippines and Tunbridge Wells Variants referred to.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Petej wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:32 pm
ovalball wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:13 pm

The UK is different due to the relationship with AZ but AZ were trying to export to Australia which would indicate that the EU contract is weak. You are still going to want a guaranteed minimum level of delivery and a schedule. I'd be surprised if pharma doesn't make firm commitments with things still in manufacture as holding stock would require storage which is expensive and not lean.
I was only referring to, what is a, newly developed vaccine for which they were still installing capacity and for which they would have almost no experience of expected yields. In those circumstances, no professional business will legally commit to a huge delivery schedule - even a minimum one would be extremely risky - especially when the product is being supplied at cost - they'd simply be on a hiding to nothing.