message #2527204

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by message #2527204 »

ovalball wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:25 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:10 am
ovalball wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:32 pm
OhNo wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:53 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:20 pm

What on earth makes you think we live in the worst Western Country - if you dislike it that much why do you stay here.

I just object to these North Korean style events which are forced on us all.
:lol: I bet a lot of people in North Korea wish missing Bargain Hunt was the style of event forced on them.
Come on - not releasing Sage documents as a mark of respect for Prince Philip - surely no sane person can think that makes any sense at all.
The whole of the civil service is marking its respect in some ways, not just those responsible for publishing documents.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Truly bizarre.

Maybe I should mark my respect by not paying my council tax bill for a month :lol:
The concept of national mourning obviously escapes you.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

TheFrog wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:46 pm Where you have a point, Bimbo, is that you are right and we should not react emotionally to early reports of one trend or another an wait until scientists have completed their analysis.

I give you that point.

Now, it seems that there are consistent reports of more and more younger people being hospitalized, and as I posted, I was particularly shocked to see two of my colleagues needing to report to hospital despite being in their 30s. They had their lungs filling up and one was told she was lucky to be a mountain climber (she climbs in the Himalayas) with super efficient lungs because her X-Ray were horrible with half her lungs filled up.

That's what worries me but you are right, until data have been reviewed and proper epidemiological studies completed, we shouldn't rush to conclusions.
There will be more and more. Cumulatively, it's never going to reduce.

I had a friend who spent two weeks in a coma from the flu. Rugby player and sportswoman. These things happen, but you can't expand that to the world's population based on an anecdote.
Dozy

Post by Dozy »

terryfinch wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:33 am We live in strange times. There is almost a feeling of euphoria as restrictions are loosened in UK and pubs open. Meanwhile globally the pandemic is causing more new cases daily than ever before. This thing is not over.
More jabs, more flavours, more jabs, new jabs, more of them
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:26 pm
Frodder wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:48 am
Sandstorm wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:35 am
terryfinch wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:33 am We live in strange times. There is almost a feeling of euphoria as restrictions are loosened in UK and pubs open. Meanwhile globally the pandemic is causing more new cases daily than ever before. This thing is not over.
Yup. Enjoy your freedom now Poms, anther lockdown is coming. New variant will see to that. Maybe even one which targets kids.
That's quite some the speculation
UK need to add India to red list. Other than that they have it under control
The Indian numbers are a big worry. Looks like it's starting to get really out of hand there. 275K cases yesterday and increasing rapidly - ten times the number of case they were experiencing just 1 month ago. With 1.4 billion people, they could end up with an absolutely horrific death toll.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

ovalball wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:39 pm
Yup. Enjoy your freedom now Poms, anther lockdown is coming. New variant will see to that. Maybe even one which targets kids.
The Indian numbers are a big worry. Looks like it's starting to get really out of hand there. 275K cases yesterday and increasing rapidly - ten times the number of case they were experiencing just 1 month ago. With 1.4 billion people, they could end up with an absolutely horrific death toll.
Massive diaspora puts UK at risk.

700 cases found of the Indian variant and 50 direct flights a day coming into UK from India.

I'd reckon they'd be on red list already had Boris not be travelling to India next week
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Potentially millions of dead Indians, but at least they didn’t give in to fear. :thumbup:
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:46 pm

700 cases found of the Indian variant and 50 direct flights a day coming into UK from India.

I'd reckon they'd be on red list already had Boris not be travelling to India next week
I suspect you're correct - really should be on the red list. Chances are that the actual numbers are significantly worse than the published stats.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Funny how the "Pretend I'm not anti-Vaxxer, but I'm only going to act like a I'm an Anti-COVID-Vaxxer" lot completely ignore how the UKs vaccination program is greatly reducing the effects of any 3rd peak unlike other countries which in Europe. And let is not go on how the disease seems to run rampart in countries that don't close national borders or do lockdowns in any effective way, like Brazil.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:02 pm Funny how the "Pretend I'm not anti-Vaxxer, but I'm only going to act like a I'm an Anti-COVID-Vaxxer" lot completely ignore how the UKs vaccination program is greatly reducing the effects of any 3rd peak unlike other countries which in Europe. And let is not go on how the disease seems to run rampart in countries that don't close national borders or do lockdowns in any effective way, like Brazil.
I would like to point out that what is going through Europe is the UK variant that caused the second peak in the UK. Europe didn't have to go in lockdown in January.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

India's trajectory in the last week :shock:

Holy shitballs :uhoh:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:46 pm

70 not 700.

The “variant” isn’t yet of any concern.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

India has 150,000 road deaths a year.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:39 am India has 150,000 road deaths a year.
That's germane :roll:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:01 am
Dr justaflu bimbo is in the house.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

It helps as a comparison to size, but also current mores in India towards risk. I wouldn’t expect you to have any grasp.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:03 am

You love a bit of road death risk though don’t you.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:04 am

Wow, disingenuous doesn’t even come close.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Covid's really brought the best in bimbo out, hasn't it?
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

ovalball wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:25 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:10 am
ovalball wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:32 pm
OhNo wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:53 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:20 pm

What on earth makes you think we live in the worst Western Country - if you dislike it that much why do you stay here.

I just object to these North Korean style events which are forced on us all.
:lol: I bet a lot of people in North Korea wish missing Bargain Hunt was the style of event forced on them.
Come on - not releasing Sage documents as a mark of respect for Prince Philip - surely no sane person can think that makes any sense at all.
The whole of the civil service is marking its respect in some ways, not just those responsible for publishing documents.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Truly bizarre.

Maybe I should mark my respect by not paying my council tax bill for a month :lol:
If it excites you, do it.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:11 am Covid's really brought the best in bimbo out, hasn't it?

It’s demonstrated what a signalling twat you are as well.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:07 am

Wow, disingenuous doesn’t even come close.

I’m sure some people don’t want that thread remembered, I find it useful as again a comparison to the “new” guy.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

TheFrog wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:46 pm Where you have a point, Bimbo, is that you are right and we should not react emotionally to early reports of one trend or another an wait until scientists have completed their analysis.

I give you that point.

Now, it seems that there are consistent reports of more and more younger people being hospitalized, and as I posted, I was particularly shocked to see two of my colleagues needing to report to hospital despite being in their 30s. They had their lungs filling up and one was told she was lucky to be a mountain climber (she climbs in the Himalayas) with super efficient lungs because her X-Ray were horrible with half her lungs filled up.

That's what worries me but you are right, until data have been reviewed and proper epidemiological studies completed, we shouldn't rush to conclusions.
I do believe there is a lot of fear mongering going on. Bimbo is wrong about a lot of things, but he is right about that.

If the media aren't both peddling the bad-news and also sensationalizing it, it would be the first time in the history of mass media that they've failed to do so. That is what sells, its what they've always done.

I read a piece early on in the outbreak by an infectious disease expert writing for the SMH who speculated that it was "probable" that we would all catch it at some stage, and yes, there will be casualties involved, but we deal with several different coronaviruses already every year and viruses tend to mutate to become more benign, not more deadly (there is no evolutionary advantage for them to kill their host, or even make them very sick, in fact, the opposite). I suspect that guy really knew what he was talking about. It was fit to print then but because of political divides would seem like some outrageous Trumpy denialist article now. All we hear now is about deadly new super contagious mutant strains killing young athletes, or whatever, or whatever else will get people clicking on news articles or buying papers. All the positive stuff they could be printing is relegated to page 23, if included at all.

The difference in attitude between Sweden and Australia is crazy and it's very interesting looking from the other side of the window. My parents for example went bananas when I told them I had coronavirus. They asked "will they lock down Stockholm now?". What, because I tested positive? Lol. Of course that's what would happen in Australia. They also were flabbergasted that I wasn't immediately calling the gym and supermarkets I had been to in previous days so they could alert their customers that someone who tested positive coronavirus case had visited in the past week. (If I did it would be pretty much, "what do you want us to do about it?").

That of course would be a complete waste of time as in Sweden where people are trying to live life is pretty much as normal. I would guess about 50% of my friends and colleagues have already had it, reporting from between zero symptoms to something like a nasty cold, as much as that triggers some people, it's the fact of the matter. I have heard horror stories too, to be clear, but know of only one personally, an acquaintance from almost 10 years ago, who had pre existing lung conditions and is now recovering at home. For everyone else its been more or less a cold (no doubt a bad one for a not insignificant minority). But in general people are going back to work and going out more as a result of both antibodies and vaccinations.

Meanwhile in Australia where the virus is basically eradicated, WA votes in an unheard of landslide to elect the politician who proposed the toughest lockdown laws. Its crazy the difference in attitudes and quite surreal looking from the outside.

I am sure differences in media reporting are the reason for the difference.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:29 am, edited 9 times in total.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:16 am
eldanielfire wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:02 pm Funny how the "Pretend I'm not anti-Vaxxer, but I'm only going to act like a I'm an Anti-COVID-Vaxxer" lot completely ignore how the UKs vaccination program is greatly reducing the effects of any 3rd peak unlike other countries which in Europe. And let is not go on how the disease seems to run rampart in countries that don't close national borders or do lockdowns in any effective way, like Brazil.
I would like to point out that what is going through Europe is the UK variant that caused the second peak in the UK. Europe didn't have to go in lockdown in January.
EU countries had no idea which variants were doing what back in January. They had no variant scientific analysis capability to speak of. They should have obviously locked down earlier, given what has happened.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:15 am

I’m sure some people don’t want that thread remembered, I find it useful as again a comparison to the “new” guy.
That was back when you spent three days arguing you were meant to go around a roundabout the wrong way... during which I posted about having a big weekend for my birthday and driving into work feeling pretty woozy on the Monday morning...

what you won't remember in your loose relationship with the facts, Bimbo, is that I had to go down the road that morning and pass a Drug and Alcohol screening in order to complete a site visit.

But you carry on being you.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 am
bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:15 am

That was back when you spent three days arguing you were meant to go around a roundabout the wrong way... during which I posted about having a big weekend for my birthday and driving into work feeling pretty woozy on the Monday morning...

what you won't remember in your loose relationship with the facts, Bimbo, is that I had to go down the road that morning and pass a Drug and Alcohol screening in order to complete a site visit.

But you carry on being you.

I am quite happy to discuss the roundabout conversation and constantly take it as a dig.

The thread about your “wooozy” driving is self explanatory.

There’s loads there from your “old” self on here, especially pre “woke” Ali where you supported revolting posts. It’s worth remembering everytime you signal what a “modern” wokest you are now.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Full of shit as usual, Dr justaflu.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Not quite true, the 2nd peak wasn't caused by the UK variant. Scientists were warning us in the summer before a 2nd and 3rd peak would happen as historically that is exactly what happens, especially with winter coming. Cases were rising long before the UK variant became the dominate version. The UK variant started spreading through an area which was in restrictions and it evolved at a time when numbers were low. Also the UK variant probably didn't originate in the UK, but the UK has/had some of the most robust robust virus surveillance and genetic testing and most countries don't have any ability to test for variants. To put it in context, the UK had done half all the genetic sequencing of COVID-19 in the whole world.

Also the "UK variant" was quite highly mutated, it was likely a result of multiple mutations occurring from a global spread in multiple stages, at a time when the spread of COVID-19 was at a low after 6 months, unluckily among multiple people with weak immune systems. This rapid multiple mutation was at one point contradicting a 2017 mathematical model, which suggested it would not happen this way. While it spread more quickly though the UK the Science shows without quick or proactive action there was always going to be more spread.
Last edited by eldanielfire on Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

It helps as a comparison to size, but also current mores in India towards risk. I wouldn’t expect you to have any grasp.
Grasp of what?

Do try and write full sentences
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:52 am

Grasp of what?

It appears grasp of useful comparisons.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Bimbo doesn’t care how many poor Indians die, whether through road deaths or COVID.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 am Bimbo doesn’t care how many poor Indians die, whether through road deaths or COVID.

I’d wish they had a better appreciation of risk and resources to lower early mortality.

I’m certainly unable to change it currently.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Dr Bimbo world renowned statistician and author of Relative and Actual Risk.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:59 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:52 am

Grasp of what?

It appears grasp of useful comparisons.
Riiiiggghht :lol:
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:08 am Dr Bimbo world renowned statistician and author of Relative and Actual Risk.
I'll have to consult with him the next time I have to utilise Risk assessments....oh yeah, every day in my job :lol:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:08 am Dr Bimbo world renowned statistician and author of Relative and Actual Risk.

The ability to make adequate comparison to judge risk is a basic human function ... everybody does it all the time. The relative size of a population for example is quite an easy comparable with basic Maths.

This of course is more common in non statist
Lefties , where people more regularly take personal responsibility for their decisions .
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 am Bimbo doesn’t care how many poor Indians die, whether through road deaths or COVID.
As Bimboman points out, ignoring dead people is how freedom works. Though he's never explained how the dead benefit.....
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:14 am

The ability to make adequate comparison to judge risk is a basic human function ... everybody does it all the time. The relative size of a population for example is quite an easy comparable with basic Maths.

This of course is more common in non statist
Lefties , where people more regularly take personal responsibility for their decisions .
If you had any clue what you were talking about you’d know that we are shit at judging risk and every study supports that but you are so in love with your own opinion that it wouldn’t enter your tiny pea brain to check.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:28 am
Not quite true, the 2nd peak wasn't caused by the UK variant. Scientists warning in the summer before a 2nd and 3rd peak would happen as historically that is exactly what happens, especially with winter coming. Cases were rising long before the UK variant became the dominate version. The UK variant started spreading through an area which was in restrictions and it evolved at a time when numbers were low. Also the UK variant probably didn't originate in the UK, but the UK has/had some of the most robust robust virus surveillance and genetic testing and most countries don't have any ability to test for variants. To put it in context, the UK had done half all the genetic sequencing of COVID-19 in the whole world.

Also the "UK variant" was quite highly mutated, it was likely a result of multiple mutations occurring from a global spread in multiple stages, at a time when the spread of COVID-19 was at a low after 6 months, unluckily among multiple people with weak immune systems. This rapid multiple mutation was at one point contradicting a 2017 mathematical model, which suggested it would not happen this way. While it spread more quickly though the UK the Science shows without quick or proactive action there was always going to be more spread.
good post :thumbup:
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

I'm not sure what bimbo was trying to say there, but I believe it is a commonly accepted psychological fact that people who identify as left-wing are more risk-adverse than people who identify as right-wing. Just something to do with brain-wiring.

There is a disproportionate number of right-wing-identifying people who work in military, police, fire-fighting, and the like.

It only makes sense that the analysis of risk regarding corona-virus and an appropriate response also falls along such lines, ranging from "wash your hands and do some exercise", to "lock down the country and shut down the economy for a year".
Sawtooth the Beaver

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

What's the rate of increase in road deaths in India over the last 3 months? We need to know.