Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 am
bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:14 am
Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:08 am Dr Bimbo world renowned statistician and author of Relative and Actual Risk.

The ability to make adequate comparison to judge risk is a basic human function ... everybody does it all the time. The relative size of a population for example is quite an easy comparable with basic Maths.

This of course is more common in non statist
Lefties , where people more regularly take personal responsibility for their decisions .
If you had any clue what you were talking about you’d know that we are shit at judging risk and every study supports that but you are so in love with your own opinion that it wouldn’t enter your tiny pea brain to check.

I realise that humans are somewhat poor at risk measurement. I don’t think it’s beyond your wits to understand some cultures and countries are better than others at the task though.
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

My point of course was as a comparison to population size, and resource as well as cultural mores towards death.

People here trying to fight on that :o .

Especially Mr “confirmation bias “
iarmhiman
Posts: 44152
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by iarmhiman »

bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:37 am
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:46 pm
ovalball wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:39 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:26 pm
Frodder wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:48 am

That's quite some the speculation
UK need to add India to red list. Other than that they have it under control
The Indian numbers are a big worry. Looks like it's starting to get really out of hand there. 275K cases yesterday and increasing rapidly - ten times the number of case they were experiencing just 1 month ago. With 1.4 billion people, they could end up with an absolutely horrific death toll.
Massive diaspora puts UK at risk.

700 cases found of the Indian variant and 50 direct flights a day coming into UK from India.

I'd reckon they'd be on red list already had Boris not be travelling to India next week

70 not 700.

The “variant” isn’t yet of any concern.
Community transmission now for the Indian variant in the UK.

Get surge testing in now and add India to red list.
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 14215
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by MungoMan »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 am I'm not sure what bimbo was trying to say there, but I believe it is a commonly accepted psychological fact that people who identify as left-wing are more risk-adverse than people who identify as right-wing. Just something to do with brain-wiring.

There is a disproportionate number of right-wing-identifying people who work in military, police, fire-fighting, and the like.
And in many countries, including the one I live in, it was a commonly accepted socio-political fact that people working in other types of physically dangerous occupation - underground mining for one - are morely likely to skew left than the population at large.

Psychological explanations can be a load of bollocks.
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

iarmhiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 am
bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:37 am
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:46 pm
ovalball wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:39 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:26 pm

UK need to add India to red list. Other than that they have it under control
The Indian numbers are a big worry. Looks like it's starting to get really out of hand there. 275K cases yesterday and increasing rapidly - ten times the number of case they were experiencing just 1 month ago. With 1.4 billion people, they could end up with an absolutely horrific death toll.
Massive diaspora puts UK at risk.

700 cases found of the Indian variant and 50 direct flights a day coming into UK from India.

I'd reckon they'd be on red list already had Boris not be travelling to India next week

70 not 700.

The “variant” isn’t yet of any concern.
Community transmission now for the Indian variant in the UK.

Get surge testing in now and add India to red list.

We’ve had nearly 100 cases of
The Brazilian variant for a month or so now.

Stopping travel seems sensible though
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 34520
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by guy smiley »

MungoMan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 am I'm not sure what bimbo was trying to say there, but I believe it is a commonly accepted psychological fact that people who identify as left-wing are more risk-adverse than people who identify as right-wing. Just something to do with brain-wiring.

There is a disproportionate number of right-wing-identifying people who work in military, police, fire-fighting, and the like.
And in many countries, including the one I live in, it was a commonly accepted socio-political fact that people working in other types of physically dangerous occupation - underground mining for one - are morely likely to skew left than the population at large.

Psychological explanations can be a load of bollocks.
:lol: :lol:

Coal miners down 't pit vs the Tory bankers...

risk averse my arse :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Mog The Almighty »

MungoMan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 am I'm not sure what bimbo was trying to say there, but I believe it is a commonly accepted psychological fact that people who identify as left-wing are more risk-adverse than people who identify as right-wing. Just something to do with brain-wiring.

There is a disproportionate number of right-wing-identifying people who work in military, police, fire-fighting, and the like.
And in many countries, including the one I live in, it was a commonly accepted socio-political fact that people working in other types of physically dangerous occupation - underground mining for one - are morely likely to skew left than the population at large.

Psychological explanations can be a load of bollocks.
All the miners I know are climate-denying Trumpy anti-environmental conservatives. And I come from one of the world's biggest mining towns. Obviously they hold these views because that is most convenient for them personally. Not very socialist-type thinking.

To be clear, I do get what you're saying. The working class are the traditional left. However, I think a combination of both being tricked into voting against their own interest, and the left taking a greater and greater interest in social justice issues has driven them away in modern times.

The risk-thing I mentioned was just something I heard recently, and I guess it pertains to today's political landscape. In the old days, you didn't really get an option which job you took, so it doesn't really apply. Today, where people get to choose more and more, right-wing-identifying people tend to choose more dangerous occupations.
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 11499
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Frodder »

Boris ain't going to India now. Expect red list confirmation in 24nrs
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 14215
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by MungoMan »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:29 am
MungoMan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 am I'm not sure what bimbo was trying to say there, but I believe it is a commonly accepted psychological fact that people who identify as left-wing are more risk-adverse than people who identify as right-wing. Just something to do with brain-wiring.

There is a disproportionate number of right-wing-identifying people who work in military, police, fire-fighting, and the like.
And in many countries, including the one I live in, it was a commonly accepted socio-political fact that people working in other types of physically dangerous occupation - underground mining for one - are morely likely to skew left than the population at large.

Psychological explanations can be a load of bollocks.
All the miners I know are climate-denying Trumpy anti-environmental conservatives. And I come from one of the world's biggest mining towns. Obviously they hold these views because that is most convenient for them personally. Not very socialist-type thinking.

To be clear, I do get what you're saying. The working class are the traditional left. However, I think a combination of both being tricked into voting against their own interest, and the left taking a greater and greater interest in social justice issues has driven them away in modern times.

The risk-thing I mentioned was just something I heard recently, and I guess it pertains to today's political landscape. In the old days, you didn't really get an option which job you took, so it doesn't really apply. Today, where people get to choose more and more, right-wing-identifying people tend to choose more dangerous occupations.
Consider for a moment that the converse might be true. Consider that what what someone does for a job can affect how they think about the world and their place in it.
User avatar
Petej
Posts: 4847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Monmouthshire

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Petej »

MungoMan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 am I'm not sure what bimbo was trying to say there, but I believe it is a commonly accepted psychological fact that people who identify as left-wing are more risk-adverse than people who identify as right-wing. Just something to do with brain-wiring.

There is a disproportionate number of right-wing-identifying people who work in military, police, fire-fighting, and the like.
And in many countries, including the one I live in, it was a commonly accepted socio-political fact that people working in other types of physically dangerous occupation - underground mining for one - are morely likely to skew left than the population at large.

Psychological explanations can be a load of bollocks.
Indeed.
Mostly because they aren't actually real psychological explanations. Also like many areas of science there is a love of old work now disproved being regurgitated.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Mog The Almighty »

MungoMan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:35 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:29 am
MungoMan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 am I'm not sure what bimbo was trying to say there, but I believe it is a commonly accepted psychological fact that people who identify as left-wing are more risk-adverse than people who identify as right-wing. Just something to do with brain-wiring.

There is a disproportionate number of right-wing-identifying people who work in military, police, fire-fighting, and the like.
And in many countries, including the one I live in, it was a commonly accepted socio-political fact that people working in other types of physically dangerous occupation - underground mining for one - are morely likely to skew left than the population at large.

Psychological explanations can be a load of bollocks.
All the miners I know are climate-denying Trumpy anti-environmental conservatives. And I come from one of the world's biggest mining towns. Obviously they hold these views because that is most convenient for them personally. Not very socialist-type thinking.

To be clear, I do get what you're saying. The working class are the traditional left. However, I think a combination of both being tricked into voting against their own interest, and the left taking a greater and greater interest in social justice issues has driven them away in modern times.

The risk-thing I mentioned was just something I heard recently, and I guess it pertains to today's political landscape. In the old days, you didn't really get an option which job you took, so it doesn't really apply. Today, where people get to choose more and more, right-wing-identifying people tend to choose more dangerous occupations.
Consider for a moment that the converse might be true. Consider that what what someone does for a job can affect how they think about the world and their place in it.
Yes that is a good point.

I am however, just repeating what I heard, I'm not claiming it as a fact or anything.

If it is true that it's more a product of environment than brain-wiring, then one could argue that more dangerous jobs create a more right-wing mentality. Why that would be true, I don't know. You'd think it would be the opposite.

I myself have always until recently considered myself quite left-leaning, and I am naturally quite risk averse for whatever that is worth, and I do not have a risky job.

I have sort of ditched the "left leaning" self-identity in recent years though. Seems the modern leftist strategy is to be just as unscientific and delusional as their right-wing opponents, just on different issues.

.... in any case, when all the blah-blah is done, it seems whatever came first, the chicken or the egg, right-wing people are more accepting of risk and left-wing people are more risk-averse.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
C69
Posts: 41313
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by C69 »

A commonly accepted psychological fact hmmmm...
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Mog The Almighty »

C69 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:18 am A commonly accepted psychological fact hmmmm...
The, "I believe it is..." that came before added some context that you left out, don't you think? Sort of implies, "not really sure, something I heard, maybe someone can confirm?". That was the intention anyway, although I think you knew that already.
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 14031
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by TheFrog »

bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:24 am
iarmhiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 am
bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:37 am
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:46 pm
ovalball wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:39 pm

The Indian numbers are a big worry. Looks like it's starting to get really out of hand there. 275K cases yesterday and increasing rapidly - ten times the number of case they were experiencing just 1 month ago. With 1.4 billion people, they could end up with an absolutely horrific death toll.
Massive diaspora puts UK at risk.

700 cases found of the Indian variant and 50 direct flights a day coming into UK from India.

I'd reckon they'd be on red list already had Boris not be travelling to India next week

70 not 700.

The “variant” isn’t yet of any concern.
Community transmission now for the Indian variant in the UK.

Get surge testing in now and add India to red list.

We’ve had nearly 100 cases of
The Brazilian variant for a month or so now.

Stopping travel seems sensible though
If you are anti-lockdown, while would you be pro travel ban, when effectively, travel bans are a form of lockdown as they lock your country away from the rest of the world, just as a lockdown requires individual to isolate from other individuals in their country?

In other words, why would such restrictive measures be necessary in one case and not the other?
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:41 pm
bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:24 am
iarmhiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 am
bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:37 am
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:46 pm

Massive diaspora puts UK at risk.

700 cases found of the Indian variant and 50 direct flights a day coming into UK from India.

I'd reckon they'd be on red list already had Boris not be travelling to India next week

70 not 700.

The “variant” isn’t yet of any concern.
Community transmission now for the Indian variant in the UK.

Get surge testing in now and add India to red list.

We’ve had nearly 100 cases of
The Brazilian variant for a month or so now.

Stopping travel seems sensible though
If you are anti-lockdown, while would you be pro travel ban, when effectively, travel bans are a form of lockdown as they lock your country away from the rest of the world, just as a lockdown requires individual to isolate from other individuals in their country?

In other words, why would such restrictive measures be necessary in one case and not the other?


Because they’re immensely different. One is the domestic movement of all people in all circumstances, he other restrictions on a small amount of travellers for a short period of time, sensible quarantine for those that have to travel.

Btw, I’m anti Lockdown in the same way the World Health organisation and many other organisations are. They’re a blunt and stupid political tool.
User avatar
Short Man Syndrome
Posts: 6726
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Front and centre.

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Tell us all about being being blunt, stupid, political tools pls Bimbo.
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:57 pm Tell us all about being being blunt, stupid, political tools pls Bimbo.
Tell us about the surge in cases since policy changes in Texas and Florida.
User avatar
Short Man Syndrome
Posts: 6726
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Front and centre.

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Haven’t really had lock down in Texas. Want to try again?
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:10 pm Haven’t really had lock down in Texas. Want to try again?

Just trying to find something useful for you to post. :thumbup:
User avatar
Short Man Syndrome
Posts: 6726
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Front and centre.

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

By shooting yourself in the foot? Happy to help. :thumbup:
User avatar
Sefton
Posts: 16217
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Sefton »

bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:14 am
Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 am
bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:14 am
Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:08 am Dr Bimbo world renowned statistician and author of Relative and Actual Risk.

The ability to make adequate comparison to judge risk is a basic human function ... everybody does it all the time. The relative size of a population for example is quite an easy comparable with basic Maths.

This of course is more common in non statist
Lefties , where people more regularly take personal responsibility for their decisions .
If you had any clue what you were talking about you’d know that we are shit at judging risk and every study supports that but you are so in love with your own opinion that it wouldn’t enter your tiny pea brain to check.

I realise that humans are somewhat poor at risk measurement. I don’t think it’s beyond your wits to understand some cultures and countries are better than others at the task though.
So you're backtracking on your prior statement then I see.
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:25 pm
bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:14 am
Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 am
bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:14 am
Sefton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:08 am Dr Bimbo world renowned statistician and author of Relative and Actual Risk.

The ability to make adequate comparison to judge risk is a basic human function ... everybody does it all the time. The relative size of a population for example is quite an easy comparable with basic Maths.

This of course is more common in non statist
Lefties , where people more regularly take personal responsibility for their decisions .
If you had any clue what you were talking about you’d know that we are shit at judging risk and every study supports that but you are so in love with your own opinion that it wouldn’t enter your tiny pea brain to check.

I realise that humans are somewhat poor at risk measurement. I don’t think it’s beyond your wits to understand some cultures and countries are better than others at the task though.
So you're backtracking on your prior statement then I see.


No, I’ve clarified the point I was making, and comparisons on the countries size and the whole population response to risk of death say nothing about the overall ability for a species.

I’m not sure this is controversial.

Your point wasn’t even close enough to be a straw man, it was a totally different point.
C69
Posts: 41313
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by C69 »

Basic human function no less.

:lol:
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 6306
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:14 am [
.... in any case, when all the blah-blah is done, it seems whatever came first, the chicken or the egg, right-wing people are more accepting of risk and left-wing people are more risk-averse.
Let me guess, Joe Rogan?
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

C69 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:33 pm Basic human function no less.

:lol:

Here’s a man of science denying that human beings make risk assessment from instinct.


:thumbup:
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:41 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:14 am [
.... in any case, when all the blah-blah is done, it seems whatever came first, the chicken or the egg, right-wing people are more accepting of risk and left-wing people are more risk-averse.
Let me guess, Joe Rogan?
Maybe, or Sam Harris. Neither of whom identify as right-wing btw, although Rogan is certainly getting a bit nuttier in recent times.

Some left-wing posters seem to be having a bit of knee-jerk reaction this idea for some reason. It's not like indulging in risky behavior is a "good thing". It could be an extremely stupid thing, and often is. Including such things as driving like a f-cking disrespectful jerk because you think you're an awesome driver and anything that could go wrong on the road is someone else's fault.

I think that lefties do seem more risk-averse, probably smart too. In any case, you can definitely see the difference in opinions follows those same predictable lines along corona-virus too. The more left one is, typically the harder and stricter they want to lock-down and the more shouty they get about it.
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 6306
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:54 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:41 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:14 am [
.... in any case, when all the blah-blah is done, it seems whatever came first, the chicken or the egg, right-wing people are more accepting of risk and left-wing people are more risk-averse.
Let me guess, Joe Rogan?
Maybe, or Sam Harris. Neither of whom identify as right-wing btw, although Rogan is certainly getting a bit nuttier in recent times.

Some left-wing posters seem to be having a bit of knee-jerk reaction this idea for some reason. It's not like indulging in risky behavior is a "good thing". It could be an extremely stupid thing, and often is. Including such things as driving like a f-cking disrespectful jerk because you think you're an awesome driver and anything that could go wrong on the road is someone else's fault.

I think that lefties do seem more risk-averse, probably smart too. In any case, you can definitely see the difference in opinions follows those same predictable lines along corona-virus too. The more left one is, typically the harder and stricter they want to lock-down and the more shouty they get about it.
Never change
User avatar
AND-y
Posts: 16693
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by AND-y »

C69 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:33 pm Basic human function no less.

:lol:
:lol: :lol:
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 39861
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Duff Paddy »

bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:41 pm
C69 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:33 pm Basic human function no less.

:lol:

Here’s a man of science denying that human beings make risk assessment from instinct.


:thumbup:
Daniel Kahneman beat you to the Nobel prize on that one

Image
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:03 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:54 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:41 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:14 am [
.... in any case, when all the blah-blah is done, it seems whatever came first, the chicken or the egg, right-wing people are more accepting of risk and left-wing people are more risk-averse.
Let me guess, Joe Rogan?
Maybe, or Sam Harris. Neither of whom identify as right-wing btw, although Rogan is certainly getting a bit nuttier in recent times.

Some left-wing posters seem to be having a bit of knee-jerk reaction this idea for some reason. It's not like indulging in risky behavior is a "good thing". It could be an extremely stupid thing, and often is. Including such things as driving like a f-cking disrespectful jerk because you think you're an awesome driver and anything that could go wrong on the road is someone else's fault.

I think that lefties do seem more risk-averse, probably smart too. In any case, you can definitely see the difference in opinions follows those same predictable lines along corona-virus too. The more left one is, typically the harder and stricter they want to lock-down and the more shouty they get about it.
Never change
Keep up with the plain and straight-foward conversations?

Sure mate. I think I can manage. :lol:
User avatar
Sandstorm
Posts: 28882
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Chickenrunning...

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Sandstorm »

I dont think any man would try to argue with a billion Hindus and get them to change their opinion towards risk and death. No man. But a Bot on the other hand......
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Sandstorm wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:56 pm I dont think any man would try to argue with a billion Hindus and get them to change their opinion towards risk and death. No man. But a Bot on the other hand......


That’s art of the point I’m actually making, who’s arguing with “Hindus”?
User avatar
Petej
Posts: 4847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Monmouthshire

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Petej »

Looks increasingly like the uk has already achieved herd immunity.
User avatar
Sandstorm
Posts: 28882
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Chickenrunning...

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Sandstorm »

Petej wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:07 pm Looks increasingly like the uk has already achieved herd immunity.
Herd infection if you’re young. There’s no evidence that Under 50s won’t get Covid again this year or perhaps worse than last time.
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Sandstorm wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:24 pm
Petej wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:07 pm Looks increasingly like the uk has already achieved herd immunity.
Herd infection if you’re young. There’s no evidence that Under 50s won’t get Covid again this year or perhaps worse than last time.

There’s plenty of evidence that won’t overwhelm the NHS so the reason for lockdowns gone.
User avatar
terryfinch
Posts: 5598
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by terryfinch »

Saw a report at the weekend that a massive vacc centre in France, with 4,000 doses ready, had about 20 people turn up so closed. Macron is such a twat. He has managed to destroy France’s chances of getting out of this mess any time soon.
iarmhiman
Posts: 44152
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by iarmhiman »

terryfinch wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:18 pm Saw a report at the weekend that a massive vacc centre in France, with 4,000 doses ready, had about 20 people turn up so closed. Macron is such a twat. He has managed to destroy France’s chances of getting out of this mess any time soon.
They'll take pfizer. Loads more of them coming
User avatar
Petej
Posts: 4847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Monmouthshire

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Petej »

terryfinch wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:18 pm Saw a report at the weekend that a massive vacc centre in France, with 4,000 doses ready, had about 20 people turn up so closed. Macron is such a twat. He has managed to destroy France’s chances of getting out of this mess any time soon.
Link?

France had weirdly high anti-vaxxer numbers prior to Macron saying anything though I doubt he helped. Like UK was at about 80% while France <50% on who would have the vaccine. The UK dashboard doesn't have it but the Wales one shows >90% having the jab in the age/priority groups that have been offered it.
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

iarmhiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:25 pm
terryfinch wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:18 pm Saw a report at the weekend that a massive vacc centre in France, with 4,000 doses ready, had about 20 people turn up so closed. Macron is such a twat. He has managed to destroy France’s chances of getting out of this mess any time soon.
They'll take pfizer. Loads more of them coming

Meanwhile they restrict the AZ from being exported and leave it in fridges.


Clap that.
User avatar
Petej
Posts: 4847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Monmouthshire

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Petej »

bimboman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:28 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:25 pm
terryfinch wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:18 pm Saw a report at the weekend that a massive vacc centre in France, with 4,000 doses ready, had about 20 people turn up so closed. Macron is such a twat. He has managed to destroy France’s chances of getting out of this mess any time soon.
They'll take pfizer. Loads more of them coming

Meanwhile they restrict the AZ from being exported and leave it in fridges.


Clap that.
I think he is optimistic to assume they will have the Pfizer.
Post Reply