Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12935
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Sefton wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 am
Farva wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:26 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:21 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:37 am My vaccination appointment was cancelled admit was most likely AZ and I'm 46

Re-entered the app to check and message "You need Pfizer and we have no supply yet"

No way Oz will get it all done by Christmas
Why is it not okay to give AZ to younger people but it's okay to give it to older people?

All the people that died in Norway when the news broke it was causing blood clots were all nursing home patients.
I think its a numbers game. The risk of death from Covid for over 50s is far higher so better to take the risk of a blood clot to get vaccinated and avoid the Covid risk. Different risk profile for younger people. There is also some circumstantial evidence that younger women are more at risk, although this isnt proven yet - https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00998-w

For me, Im happy to take the AZ is its offered to me. The risk of clots is incredibly low.
My parents are both in their 70s and both medical specialists, Dad was a surgeon and Mum was a psychiatric and intensive care nurse. They're both very rational and scientific and not at all woo-woo. Neither of them want the AZ vaccine.

It all seems a bit weird in Australia to be honest. I just doesn't make much sense. They're willing to shut down borders and endure all sorts of social and economic upheavel specifically to save older people, now the virus is almost eradicated in the country with virtually no news cases, they're suddenly in such a mad rush to open up that they're willing to use those same older folk as guinnea pigs?

It doesn't smell right. It's about $$$, not people. Of course ScoMo and the others in power all probably got the Pfizer injection, am I right? If that is the case, then that's the one everyone should get (or at least have the option).

Personally I would have got the AZ virus before I contracted coronavirus. But now I've had it, what is the risk of getting it again and infecting other people? What's the point of taking even an extremely low risk if I have the option of waiting for a better one?
So it doesn’t smell right. You complete dick, you’re a conspiracy monger, you might as well start blabbering about big pharma.
:lol:

You nitwit.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12935
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am I'd have taken AZ. I didn't get.thr choice.

I'm fine with people not vaccinating but thwy won't be able to travel offshore for years.

No airline will risk it
And I agree with that. I believe everyone should have the choice as to whether to be medicated or not. That should not be controversial. However, everyone (including businesses, be they airlines, day-care centers or pubs) should also have the choice as to whether they want to allow non-vaccinated people to use their service.

To the slavishly unthinking dullards who live on boxes on the political extremes, this makes me different things. According to _DAC, it's soviet-style communism. According to sefton I'm a right-wing loon conspiracy theorist.
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 13954
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by TheFrog »

Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:20 am
EverReady wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 am Dirty bastards https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56811375
It’s just such a plum of a virus
And that person had been vaccinated...

So in summary, the two countries have isolated from the world, they open a travel bubble between themselves and the coronavirus appears out of nowhere and contaminates someone who had received the vaccine.
User avatar
Gospel
Posts: 14473
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: West of Londinium

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Gospel »

TheFrog wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:02 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:20 am
EverReady wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 am Dirty bastards https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56811375
It’s just such a plum of a virus
And that person had been vaccinated...

So in summary, the two countries have isolated from the world, they open a travel bubble between themselves and the coronavirus appears out of nowhere and contaminates someone who had received the vaccine.
In summary airline worker gets infected from cleaning planes from high infection countries but thanks to vaccinations and testing the threat is contained.
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 18244
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Ted. »

Gospel wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 pm
TheFrog wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:02 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:20 am
EverReady wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 am Dirty bastards https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56811375
It’s just such a plum of a virus
And that person had been vaccinated...

So in summary, the two countries have isolated from the world, they open a travel bubble between themselves and the coronavirus appears out of nowhere and contaminates someone who had received the vaccine.
In summary airline worker gets infected from cleaning planes from high infection countries but thanks to vaccinations and testing the threat is contained.
That about sums it up.

To be clear, there is no way any of the passengers from a high risk country are wandering around infecting people at large. They are isolated for 14 days and tested during that time.
La soule
Posts: 9702
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by La soule »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am I'd have taken AZ. I didn't get.thr choice.

I'm fine with people not vaccinating but thwy won't be able to travel offshore for years.

No airline will risk it
Having been vaccinated does not change the point that you can still carry the virus and contaminate others.

I don't quite se the point.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63033
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by CM11 »

La soule wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:19 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am I'd have taken AZ. I didn't get.thr choice.

I'm fine with people not vaccinating but thwy won't be able to travel offshore for years.

No airline will risk it
Having been vaccinated does not change the point that you can still carry the virus and contaminate others.

I don't quite se the point.
It's been shown to reduce transmission massively.
bimboman
Posts: 70318
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

La soule wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:19 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am I'd have taken AZ. I didn't get.thr choice.

I'm fine with people not vaccinating but thwy won't be able to travel offshore for years.

No airline will risk it
Having been vaccinated does not change the point that you can still carry the virus and contaminate others.

I don't quite se the point.

“Contaminate”


The choice of language again .... jeeez
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 13954
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by TheFrog »

bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:36 pm
La soule wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:19 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am I'd have taken AZ. I didn't get.thr choice.

I'm fine with people not vaccinating but thwy won't be able to travel offshore for years.

No airline will risk it
Having been vaccinated does not change the point that you can still carry the virus and contaminate others.

I don't quite se the point.

“Contaminate”


The choice of language again .... jeeez
Language is point here. As far as I know La Soule is not a native English speaker. And some nuances in the choice of words may be beyond his grasp of Shakespeare's language.
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 13954
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by TheFrog »

Gospel wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 pm
TheFrog wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:02 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:20 am
EverReady wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 am Dirty bastards https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56811375
It’s just such a plum of a virus
And that person had been vaccinated...

So in summary, the two countries have isolated from the world, they open a travel bubble between themselves and the coronavirus appears out of nowhere and contaminates someone who had received the vaccine.
In summary airline worker gets infected from cleaning planes from high infection countries but thanks to vaccinations and testing the threat is contained.
Didn't realize foreigners still get to travel to Australia and NZ. I thought the countries had locked themselves away from the rest of the world.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 14040
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by message #2527204 »

TheFrog wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:48 pm
Gospel wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 pm
TheFrog wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:02 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:20 am
EverReady wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 am Dirty bastards https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56811375
It’s just such a plum of a virus
And that person had been vaccinated...

So in summary, the two countries have isolated from the world, they open a travel bubble between themselves and the coronavirus appears out of nowhere and contaminates someone who had received the vaccine.
In summary airline worker gets infected from cleaning planes from high infection countries but thanks to vaccinations and testing the threat is contained.
Didn't realize foreigners still get to travel to Australia and NZ. I thought the countries had locked themselves away from the rest of the world.
They allow about 6 a day - as long as there's space.
User avatar
Saturnine
Posts: 1017
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Saturnine »

Dozy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 pm Always loved bath, going on a session in the Raven in Bath next time. Top boozer it seems
Having seen the interview with the co-owner after Rod made such a dick of himself, you might want to go sooner rather than later.

He was REALLY pissed-off and the pub has tweeted that Rod's views are his and his alone and the Raven doesn't share them.

Would imagine the atmosphere is pretty strained at the moment. It's a tidy little pub with great beer (& pies) and the thought of it being overrun with covid denying loons is pretty depressing.
bimboman
Posts: 70318
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Saturnine wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:21 pm
Dozy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 pm Always loved bath, going on a session in the Raven in Bath next time. Top boozer it seems
Having seen the interview with the co-owner after Rod made such a dick of himself, you might want to go sooner rather than later.

He was REALLY pissed-off and the pub has tweeted that Rod's views are his and his alone and the Raven doesn't share them.

Would imagine the atmosphere is pretty strained at the moment. It's a tidy little pub with great beer (& pies) and the thought of it being overrun with covid denying loons is pretty depressing.

He’s not a covid denier (another bloody misuse of “denier” to close all conversation).

He has a view regarding the destruction of his business and the lack of critical thinking regarding covid.
User avatar
inactionman
Posts: 1443
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by inactionman »

Small world. I know him - he's close friends with a nursing colleague of my wife's.

He didn't strike me as particularly aggressive when I met him, but suppose a year of this horror would test anyone's patience, especially an owner of a very successful business which relies upon footfall.
bimboman
Posts: 70318
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

inactionman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:34 pm Small world. I know him - he's close friends with a nursing colleague of my wife's.

He didn't strike me as particularly aggressive when I met him, but suppose a year of this horror would test anyone's patience, especially an owner of a very successful business which relies upon footfall.

Good boozer?
User avatar
inactionman
Posts: 1443
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by inactionman »

bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:35 pm
inactionman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:34 pm Small world. I know him - he's close friends with a nursing colleague of my wife's.

He didn't strike me as particularly aggressive when I met him, but suppose a year of this horror would test anyone's patience, especially an owner of a very successful business which relies upon footfall.

Good boozer?
Very.

The pies are well regarded, they are ultimately just pieminster but they're tasty and it's all kept simple (chips or mash, gravy or no, a few sides) so it's less than a tenner.

The beer is always good, plenty of cask choices. Main bit is ambience, it's pleasantly busy and upstairs is cosy. Not been there since they got outdoor seating.
User avatar
not_english
Posts: 1832
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: London

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by not_english »

TheFrog wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:48 pm
Gospel wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 pm
TheFrog wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:02 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:20 am
EverReady wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 am Dirty bastards https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56811375
It’s just such a plum of a virus
And that person had been vaccinated...

So in summary, the two countries have isolated from the world, they open a travel bubble between themselves and the coronavirus appears out of nowhere and contaminates someone who had received the vaccine.
In summary airline worker gets infected from cleaning planes from high infection countries but thanks to vaccinations and testing the threat is contained.
Didn't realize foreigners still get to travel to Australia and NZ. I thought the countries had locked themselves away from the rest of the world.
You can definitely travel there if you are a citizen
Dozy
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Dozy »

Saturnine wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:21 pm
Dozy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 pm Always loved bath, going on a session in the Raven in Bath next time. Top boozer it seems
Having seen the interview with the co-owner after Rod made such a dick of himself, you might want to go sooner rather than later.

He was REALLY pissed-off and the pub has tweeted that Rod's views are his and his alone and the Raven doesn't share them.

Would imagine the atmosphere is pretty strained at the moment. It's a tidy little pub with great beer (& pies) and the thought of it being overrun with covid denying loons is pretty depressing.
He will calm down and the Raven will live on and live strong
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 6272
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

TheFrog wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:47 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:36 pm
La soule wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:19 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am I'd have taken AZ. I didn't get.thr choice.

I'm fine with people not vaccinating but thwy won't be able to travel offshore for years.

No airline will risk it
Having been vaccinated does not change the point that you can still carry the virus and contaminate others.

I don't quite se the point.

“Contaminate”


The choice of language again .... jeeez
Language is point here. As far as I know La Soule is not a native English speaker. And some nuances in the choice of words may be beyond his grasp of Shakespeare's language.
He still writes and understands a lot better than Bimbot!
User avatar
Saturnine
Posts: 1017
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Saturnine »

bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:31 pm
Saturnine wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:21 pm
Dozy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 pm Always loved bath, going on a session in the Raven in Bath next time. Top boozer it seems
Having seen the interview with the co-owner after Rod made such a dick of himself, you might want to go sooner rather than later.

He was REALLY pissed-off and the pub has tweeted that Rod's views are his and his alone and the Raven doesn't share them.

Would imagine the atmosphere is pretty strained at the moment. It's a tidy little pub with great beer (& pies) and the thought of it being overrun with covid denying loons is pretty depressing.

He’s not a covid denier (another bloody misuse of “denier” to close all conversation).

He has a view regarding the destruction of his business and the lack of critical thinking regarding covid.
Have a read of it again, at what point do I call him a covid denier?

Having seen the response on Twitter, there's a load of covid-denying loons saying about how they're going to be visiting the Raven for a drink.

Hence my original post. So; poke it, bimbo.
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 52699
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by earl the beaver »

I see the lunatic salon owner in Bradford is being taken to court for refusing to pay fines for operating during lockdown.

Putting up signs in the window about operating under common law :lol:

These freemen of the land types are hilarious.
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 14182
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by MungoMan »

earl the beaver wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:39 am I see the lunatic salon owner in Bradford is being taken to court for refusing to pay fines for operating during lockdown.

Putting up signs in the window about operating under common law :lol:

These freemen of the land types are hilarious.
Non-COVID but a comparable level of sheer fuckwitted deludedness.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-21/ ... /100085060
ovalball
Posts: 12957
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by ovalball »

MungoMan wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:23 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:39 am I see the lunatic salon owner in Bradford is being taken to court for refusing to pay fines for operating during lockdown.

Putting up signs in the window about operating under common law :lol:

These freemen of the land types are hilarious.
Non-COVID but a comparable level of sheer fuckwitted deludedness.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-21/ ... /100085060
:lol: :lol: New Westralia. She's so proud of being stupid.
bimboman
Posts: 70318
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

MungoMan wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:23 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:39 am I see the lunatic salon owner in Bradford is being taken to court for refusing to pay fines for operating during lockdown.

Putting up signs in the window about operating under common law :lol:

These freemen of the land types are hilarious.
Non-COVID but a comparable level of sheer fuckwitted deludedness.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-21/ ... /100085060


There’s some hope for the future at least.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 22025
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by shanky »

There’s some lad with Fanta pants who’s fearing for his life in Perth tonight.
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 13954
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by TheFrog »

"Sovereign Citizens" :lol:

Some creative concepts out there!
La soule
Posts: 9702
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by La soule »

TheFrog wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:47 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:36 pm
La soule wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:19 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am I'd have taken AZ. I didn't get.thr choice.

I'm fine with people not vaccinating but thwy won't be able to travel offshore for years.

No airline will risk it
Having been vaccinated does not change the point that you can still carry the virus and contaminate others.

I don't quite se the point.

“Contaminate”


The choice of language again .... jeeez
Language is point here. As far as I know La Soule is not a native English speaker. And some nuances in the choice of words may be beyond his grasp of Shakespeare's language.
I am not overly bothered by Bimbo's point of view on most things.

It is pointless.
User avatar
Flockwitt
Posts: 6784
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Flockwitt »

La soule wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:04 pm
TheFrog wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:47 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:36 pm
La soule wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:19 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am I'd have taken AZ. I didn't get.thr choice.

I'm fine with people not vaccinating but thwy won't be able to travel offshore for years.

No airline will risk it
Having been vaccinated does not change the point that you can still carry the virus and contaminate others.

I don't quite se the point.

“Contaminate”


The choice of language again .... jeeez
Language is point here. As far as I know La Soule is not a native English speaker. And some nuances in the choice of words may be beyond his grasp of Shakespeare's language.
I am not overly bothered by Bimbo's point of view on most things.

It is pointless.
Proof of an astute grasp of the English language right there :lol:
bimboman
Posts: 70318
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

https://zerocovid.uk/about-us/


A nice internationalist, socialist cause.
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 11460
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Frodder »

bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:34 pm https://zerocovid.uk/about-us/


A nice internationalist, socialist cause.
There's a Volunteer page on the site Bimbo
bimboman
Posts: 70318
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Frodder wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:54 pm
bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:34 pm https://zerocovid.uk/about-us/


A nice internationalist, socialist cause.
There's a Volunteer page on the site Bimbo

Can you imagine, volunteering to try and eradicate a respiratory virus.
User avatar
Clogs
Posts: 5031
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Clogs »

Anyone heard about this bloke and his views?


Geert Vanden Bossche
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 14182
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by MungoMan »

Clogs wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:45 am Anyone heard about this bloke and his views?


Geert Vanden Bossche
If he’s Gouda nough for Clogs he’s Gouda nough for me
User avatar
Clogs
Posts: 5031
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Clogs »

MungoMan wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:50 am
Clogs wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:45 am Anyone heard about this bloke and his views?


Geert Vanden Bossche
If he’s Gouda nough for Clogs he’s Gouda nough for me
I think he has penned an open letter to the WHO predicting doom and gloom about the current vaccines. Now he appears to be a very well credentialed scientist that seems to be a virus/vaccine expert. However before I buy into any of his kool aid I want to know what the PR experts have to say about him and his warnings first. Then I will decide how to react.
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 34382
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by guy smiley »

Sounds like your sort of hero, Clogs...

https://www.deplatformdisease.com/blog/ ... hes-claims
The short version: Geert Vanden Bossche has recently published a letter in which he argues that the vaccination campaign against COVID-19 is going to precipitate a public health disaster because the vaccines will select for viral variants that can escape their protection and drive them towards higher virulence. His claims are speculative, he offers no evidence to support his arguments, and makes several comments which are blatantly incorrect. The core of his argument relies on the assumption that COVID-19 vaccines do not have a significant effect on transmission. This has been repeatedly confirmed to be false in multiple studies. Furthermore, even if his assumptions about the effects of the vaccine on transmission are true, his conclusions are incorrect based on established precedent from Marek’s disease, a viral illness of birds with a vaccine that does not strongly affect transmission- but it still shows meaningful public health benefits in the populations of chickens where it is used. The vaccines will absolutely be critical to ending the pandemic, and fortunately the modular nature of the technology allows for rapid reformulation and adjustment as necessary (and thus far, though precautions are being taken with novel variants to produce vaccines specific to their set of problematic mutations, there isn’t significant enough evidence to suggest that total reformulation of the vaccines is needed), but no issues raised in this letter warrant a re-evaluation of our current COVID-19 vaccination policy.

I won’t be addressing the contents of Dr. Vanden Bossche’s resume as it’s irrelevant to the fact that he is currently making unsupportable claims, but for those seeking a backgrounder on the subject, Dr. Iannelli has graciously obliged. I also won’t be linking to his original letter.

I’ll be blunt: there is very little within this letter that is even close to being correct, and there is almost no evidence presented to support any of its claims. I’ll now go through it point-by-point to explain where it’s wrong.

Just the sort of 'expert' Clogs would have us subscribe to.
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 13755
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by UncleFB »

Clogs wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:20 am
MungoMan wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:50 am
Clogs wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:45 am Anyone heard about this bloke and his views?


Geert Vanden Bossche
If he’s Gouda nough for Clogs he’s Gouda nough for me
I think he has penned an open letter to the WHO predicting doom and gloom about the current vaccines. Now he appears to be a very well credentialed scientist that seems to be a virus/vaccine expert. However before I buy into any of his kool aid I want to know what the PR experts have to say about him and his warnings first. Then I will decide how to react.
Did you even bother to Google him?

You've relapsed and back on the Covid trolling again I see.
User avatar
Clogs
Posts: 5031
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Clogs »

UncleFB wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:01 am
Clogs wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:20 am
MungoMan wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:50 am
Clogs wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:45 am Anyone heard about this bloke and his views?


Geert Vanden Bossche
If he’s Gouda nough for Clogs he’s Gouda nough for me
I think he has penned an open letter to the WHO predicting doom and gloom about the current vaccines. Now he appears to be a very well credentialed scientist that seems to be a virus/vaccine expert. However before I buy into any of his kool aid I want to know what the PR experts have to say about him and his warnings first. Then I will decide how to react.
Did you even bother to Google him?

You've relapsed and back on the Covid trolling again I see.
I have googled him and watched some of his video. If what he is saying is true, then it is alarming. However I am inclined to think he is hyping shit up. I thought it would be an interesting thing to post on here and likely to generate discussion.

Not sure how you see it as trolling?
User avatar
Clogs
Posts: 5031
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Clogs »

guy smiley wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:38 am Sounds like your sort of hero, Clogs...

https://www.deplatformdisease.com/blog/ ... hes-claims
The short version: Geert Vanden Bossche has recently published a letter in which he argues that the vaccination campaign against COVID-19 is going to precipitate a public health disaster because the vaccines will select for viral variants that can escape their protection and drive them towards higher virulence. His claims are speculative, he offers no evidence to support his arguments, and makes several comments which are blatantly incorrect. The core of his argument relies on the assumption that COVID-19 vaccines do not have a significant effect on transmission. This has been repeatedly confirmed to be false in multiple studies. Furthermore, even if his assumptions about the effects of the vaccine on transmission are true, his conclusions are incorrect based on established precedent from Marek’s disease, a viral illness of birds with a vaccine that does not strongly affect transmission- but it still shows meaningful public health benefits in the populations of chickens where it is used. The vaccines will absolutely be critical to ending the pandemic, and fortunately the modular nature of the technology allows for rapid reformulation and adjustment as necessary (and thus far, though precautions are being taken with novel variants to produce vaccines specific to their set of problematic mutations, there isn’t significant enough evidence to suggest that total reformulation of the vaccines is needed), but no issues raised in this letter warrant a re-evaluation of our current COVID-19 vaccination policy.

I won’t be addressing the contents of Dr. Vanden Bossche’s resume as it’s irrelevant to the fact that he is currently making unsupportable claims, but for those seeking a backgrounder on the subject, Dr. Iannelli has graciously obliged. I also won’t be linking to his original letter.

I’ll be blunt: there is very little within this letter that is even close to being correct, and there is almost no evidence presented to support any of its claims. I’ll now go through it point-by-point to explain where it’s wrong.

Just the sort of 'expert' Clogs would have us subscribe to.
Only you would make the leap that I am somehow advocating or seeking others to jump on board with his views. I thought it would generate/stimulate conversation, but am not surprised the shit slinging has started by the usual suspects.
Post Reply