Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
Flockwitt

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Flockwitt »

Farva wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:50 pm Residents of 15 US states. Some had mask bans some didn’t. That is the control and the subject.
The evidence was unequivocal when they were getting slammed in the US. Masks worked in slowing down the spread. There was no other factor involved - not a different climate, not a different health system or anything else. They either wore masks to slow the spread, or as freedom insisters suffered the consequences.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Looks like the North v South Dakota issue Bimbo referred to also demonstrates masks worked.
"Cases fell more slowly in South Dakota than in North Dakota," he said. What's more, "although recorded cases of positive Covid-19 tests were roughly the same in both states, North Dakota was issuing about four times as many tests as South Dakota at the time and had a positivity rate that was about four times lower."

Since the beginning of the pandemic, North Dakota has tested 7 percent more of its population than South Dakota. Nineteen percent of tests are still positive in South Dakota, according to Johns Hopkins University, compared to less than 4 percent in North Dakota.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... d-n1257004
Farva

Post by Farva »

bimboman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:59 pm
Farva wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:55 pm
bimboman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:53 pm
Farva wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:50 pm Residents of 15 US states. Some had mask bans some didn’t. That is the control and the subject.

So observational not an experiment with controls.

I do wonder how the study stacks up now post other waves across the US where SD and ND are a big live example.
Well, government implemented controls.
The Danish study also had no controls in that regard.

Sorry, the Danish study was controlled subjects all under exact same regime and culture, the US observational had to be under different state not government implementation to exist.
Something like only 43% of the masked portion of the Danish study wore masks.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Farva wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:05 pm

I do wonder how the study stacks up now post other waves across the US where SD and ND are a big live example.

Sorry, the Danish study was controlled subjects all under exact same regime and culture, the US observational had to be under different state not government implementation to exist.

And what % of the masked US states wore masks when mandated ?

What % of the unmasked states wore masks and in which settings?
Farva

Post by Farva »

Dunno.
One would assume that more people in states that don’t require masks to be worn would have a lower uptake of masks than in states that did require masks. Sure that’s an assumption, but it’s flagged in the study.
As I said before, both have limitations.
However, you are relying on one study that is limited, and has not been replicated.

On the other hand, here is another study looking at 19 controlled groups – 8 in community settings, 6 in healthcare settings and 5 as source control.
It found:
The study suggests that community mask use by well people could be beneficial, particularly for COVID-19, where transmission may be pre-symptomatic. The studies of masks as source control also suggest a benefit, and may be important during the COVID-19 pandemic in universal community face mask use as well as in health care settings. Trials in healthcare workers support the use of respirators continuously during a shift. This may prevent health worker infections and deaths from COVID-19, as aerosolisation in the hospital setting has been documented.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7191274/
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Dunno.
One would assume
Bingo, stop comparing apples with oranges. It’s silly.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Farva wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:05 pm

Not to worry though. The overwhelming consensus, amongst the Science and Health communities, is in favour of wearing masks. There'll always be some idiots, like Bimbo, spouting their rubbish and hanging on to the odd dissenting 'expert'. The argument, however, has already been, conclusively, won by the pro-mask experts - leaving the Bimbos howling, hopelessly, at the moon.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Not to worry though. The overwhelming consensus, amongst the Science and Health communities, is in favour of wearing masks. There'll always be some idiots, like Bimbo, spouting their rubbish and hanging on to the odd dissenting 'expert'. The argument, however, has already been, conclusively, won by the pro-mask experts - leaving the Bimbos howling, hopelessly, at the moon.

Overwhelming consensus less than 1 year ago wasn’t in favour of mask wearing. No science has been produced to change that consensus. Politics is all that happened.

No actual “arguments” have been made or supported, the fact you think they have show what a soft brain you’re working with.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/seychel ... own-covid/

Not doing well despite (or because) the China Jab.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

bimboman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:57 pm

Overwhelming consensus less than 1 year ago wasn’t in favour of mask wearing. No science has been produced to change that consensus. Politics is all that happened.

No actual “arguments” have been made or supported, the fact you think they have show what a soft brain you’re working with.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Flockwitt wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:14 pm
bimboman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:57 pm

:lol: :lol: very apt for poor old Bimbo
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

bimboman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:26 pm

You’re embarrassing.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
puku

Post by puku »

:thumbup:

It should also be noted that that paper was submitted almost a year ago.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Sefton wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:27 pm
bimboman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:26 pm

You’re embarrassing.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Why are masks now recommended by public health experts?

At the beginning of the outbreak, public health officials thought that the virus was primarily transmitted by people touching contaminated objects or surfaces and then touching their face. Regular handwashing and refraining from touching your face were the main prescriptions (SN: 3/4/20). The CDC and the World Health Organization both at first said that healthy people didn’t need to wear masks.

But it has become clear that contact with virus-laden objects isn’t the major way that the coronavirus passes from person to person, says immunologist Robert Quigley. He is senior vice president and regional medical director of International SOS, a company based in Trevose, Penn., that helps devise strategies for mitigating medical and security risks. Instead, researchers now think COVID-19 is spread mainly by someone inhaling the virus expelled by another person.

That explains the reasoning behind the CDC’s recommendation that everyone wear a mask in public: The covering may lessen the risk of mask wearers who don’t know they’re infected from passing the virus to someone else.

“We believe now that we are learning more about this novel virus that there is transmission from asymptomatic individuals,” Quigley says. Studies have determined that people can transmit the virus for a couple of days before symptoms start, and that some people who never develop symptoms can be contagious (SN: 6/9/20).
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

puku wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:39 pm

But none of our politicians and scientists read until later in the year.
puku

Post by puku »

bimboman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:46 pm
puku wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:39 pm

But none of our politicians and scientists read until later in the year.
Prescient
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Over whelming

Our results suggest that wearing nonmedical masks in public can potentially reduce transmission of SARS-CoV-2. Another study found perception of risk of developing COVID-19 can increase a person’s likelihood of wearing a medical mask in nonmedical settings (T.D. Huynh, unpub. data, https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... v1External Link). However, given supply shortages, medical masks should be reserved for use by healthcare workers.
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

Zero Covid deaths for England, Scotland and NI
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57055340
Zero coronavirus deaths have been announced in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland on Monday.

Wales recorded four deaths meaning that, overall, the UK showed a slight increase on the two deaths recorded on Sunday.

It comes as Boris Johnson has confirmed England will proceed to lift more lockdown restrictions next week.

Meanwhile, the UK's coronavirus alert level has been lowered from four to three on the advice of experts.

Alert level three means that although the virus is still in general circulation, transmission is no longer high or rising exponentially.

What changes are coming on 17 May?
The science of hugs: Why do we miss them so much?
Email your questions about lockdown easing to haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk
Experts say cases, hospital admissions and Covid-related deaths have all decreased and vaccines are having the desired protective effect, with the latest figures showing a third of UK adults are now fully vaccinated against Covid-19, and two-thirds have had their first of two doses.

The UK moved to the highest Covid alert level - five - in January as the nation was put into lockdown and there was a real risk of the NHS becoming overwhelmed. By late February, the alert was lowered to four.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

The effectiveness of face masks to prevent SARS CoV-2
transmission: A summary of the peer-review science.

https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/media/674/open
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

ovalball wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:30 am The effectiveness of face masks to prevent SARS CoV-2

I don’t know why you bother, it’s political ideology first and science nowhere with the disingenuous denier.
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

I’ll put my left nut on the chopping block here and bet the UK goes back into lockdown within the next month. The health authorities have sat on their arses waiting for “data” that India is in trouble :lol: All the meanwhile letting flights from India and Pakistan thru the border as people rush home. Yesterday the UK had 2300 new cases ... up 600 cases from the day before. The UK might block flights from these high risk countries tomorrow or next week ... but I think the horse has bolted. Expecting a raging outbreak to follow. Left gonad on the line.
Geek

Post by Geek »

Is roundabout boy still denying that masks are effective in combatting the spread of covid19?

Why would anyone have any interest in the ramblings of a fool who doesn't even understand how roundabouts work?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Geek wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:46 am Is roundabout boy still denying that masks are effective in combatting the spread of covid19?

Why would anyone have any interest in the ramblings of a fool who doesn't even understand how roundabouts work?

Along with most of the world less than a year ago.

What we have noticed is Covid effective containment since then.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

vh5150 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:43 am I’ll put my left nut on the chopping block here and bet the UK goes back into lockdown within the next month. The health authorities have sat on their arses waiting for “data” that India is in trouble :lol: All the meanwhile letting flights from India and Pakistan thru the border as people rush home. Yesterday the UK had 2300 new cases ... up 600 cases from the day before. The UK might block flights from these high risk countries tomorrow or next week ... but I think the horse has bolted. Expecting a raging outbreak to follow. Left gonad on the line.

Let’s be generous here, you can chop it off if the U.K. isn’t locked down again by the end of June?

Deal
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Possible 600 cases increase MAY be weekend vs weekday testing .... but I reckon genomic analysis will start showing majority of new cases will be Indian variant. fudge.
I’ll cut one off. I have 2 nads and 1 is all you really need.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

vh5150 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:11 am Possible 600 cases increase MAY be weekend vs weekday testing .... but I reckon genomic analysis will start showing majority of new cases will be Indian variant. fudge.

Perfect , 1 month then.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

vh5150 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:11 am Possible 600 cases increase MAY be weekend vs weekday testing .... but I reckon genomic analysis will start showing majority of new cases will be Indian variant. fudge.
Yesterday's figure was the third highest in the last 7 days. It's not some massive jump. UK's curve is slowly down currently after the big fall.

But even if the variant gets through the vaccination barrier, what is more relevant is serious illness, which the vaccines currently protect against even if you get infected.
Dozy

Post by Dozy »

Where is the homoeopathy experts when you need them
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

CM11 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:53 am
Yesterday's figure was the third highest in the last 7 days. It's not some massive jump. UK's curve is slowly down currently after the big fall.

But even if the variant gets through the vaccination barrier, what is more relevant is serious illness, which the vaccines currently protect against even if you get infected.
Unquestionably the long term path out of this pandemic to an endemic stage is vaccination ... on a global level. Some countries are going to rage on with poor vaccination rates and that will lead to virus replication and mutations/variants. We are still trying to understand these variants and their transmissibility and pathogenicity. My concern about letting people pour back thru the borders from high risk countries is growing and I’m struggling with the UK authorities sitting back and watching it happen.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

vh5150 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:40 am

Unquestionably the long term path out of this pandemic to an endemic stage is vaccination ... on a global level. Some countries are going to rage on with poor vaccination rates and that will lead to virus replication and mutations/variants. We are still trying to understand these variants and their transmissibility and pathogenicity. My concern about letting people pour back thru the borders from high risk countries is growing and I’m struggling with the UK authorities sitting back and watching it happen.
UKIPer language.

The UK have strict border rules for all countries except for Ireland at the moment, there is no "pour".
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

vh5150 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:40 am

Where's pouring in coming from?
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Sefton wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:59 am Image
ovalball wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:30 am The effectiveness of face masks to prevent SARS CoV-2

I don’t know why you bother, it’s political ideology first and science nowhere with the disingenuous denier.
I know - but it keeps him busy. And he can't resist replying, even though he knows I have him on ignore and don't see the majority of his inane responses - although I was amused by one where he said my brain was soft - which is actually true, because all healthy, functioning, brains are soft.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

bimboman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:09 am

And 40% of those infections were caught in care homes or hospitals where mask wearing was mandatory.
Care homes? Since when?
panamax

Post by panamax »

TheFrog wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:48 pm
panamax wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:56 pm
TheFrog wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:17 pm
panamax wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:54 pm
Clouseau wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:50 pm Getting first jab monday 8)
tuesday for me :thumbup:
Same as Clouseau. Keep us posted!
Pfizer, i don't meet the criterias but have a big vaccination center next door, i sent them a mail asking if there would be any spare doses only if i would not take the spot of an older/more at risk person

they just sent me back a mail asking me to come next tuesday

only thing is my wife will probably give birth in the next days so i just hope i'll be able to gp get the jab!
You're a young lad Panamax, congratulations on your soon to come baby.

Good for you Clouseau and Panamax. Can't wait for borders to reopen. 16 months without saying my 2 elder kids who are student in France, or my parents... It's getting long.
so, our baby arrived on monday, another healthy little boy, our 3rd son

got the jab yesterday, very impressed by the efficiency of our local vax center, lots of people but very smooth and plenty of Croix Rouge personnel to guide you through the steps, no side effects at all for me so far

summer is looking lovely from our perspective!
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

panamax wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:41 am
so, our baby arrived on monday, another healthy little boy, our 3rd son

got the jab yesterday, very impressed by the efficiency of our local vax center, lots of people but very smooth and plenty of Croix Rouge personnel to guide you through the steps, no side effects at all for me so far

summer is looking lovely from our perspective!
Congratulations! :thumbup:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sandstorm wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:18 pm
bimboman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:09 am

And 40% of those infections were caught in care homes or hospitals where mask wearing was mandatory.
Care homes? Since when?

Since last year.....