Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
Double

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Double »

happyhooker wrote:
Double wrote:I reckon in 3 weeks time we're going to start getting the antibody tests back in the UK and realise that everyone here got coronavirus back in late December/early January, that the disease is 10 times more virulent and 10 times less deadly than we expected, and that this lockdown was a giant waste of everyone's time.
I bloody hope so but I very much doubt it.
I'll bet you all the food I have left in the house.
Cthulu's Trilby

Post by Cthulu's Trilby »

happyhooker wrote: Bloody hell, hello again.

Yup. The larger trusts are still okay, but my sister and a couple of others are describing a feeling of trepidation. Some of the smaller trusts are getting overwhelmed
Everyone's feeling trepidation. That's perfectly natural. We're headed into the unknown. But the messaging on this thread is premature.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Double wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Double wrote:I reckon in 3 weeks time we're going to start getting the antibody tests back in the UK and realise that everyone here got coronavirus back in late December/early January, that the disease is 10 times more virulent and 10 times less deadly than we expected, and that this lockdown was a giant waste of everyone's time.
Now that's definitely a trap.

You just saw that I got my wine order in, didn't you??😉
C69

Post by C69 »

Cthulu's Trilby wrote:

Yup. The larger trusts are still okay, but my sister and a couple of others are describing a feeling of trepidation. Some of the smaller trusts are getting overwhelmed
Everyone's feeling trepidation. That's perfectly natural. We're headed into the unknown. But the messaging on this thread is premature.
Which messaging are you talking about?
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

happyhooker wrote:
Double wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Now that's definitely a trap.

You just saw that I got my wine order in, didn't you??😉
I ordered a 3kg bag of spogs :blush: Thought about cancelling but they've already shipped.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

c69 wrote:
Cthulu's Trilby wrote:

I think it started with your harrowing London news post, but he prob means others as well.

Yes the hospital in harrow is fůcked, but northwick park ICU is a bit shit
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

We're already close to overloading the health service. Spain and Italy have already overloaded theirs.

This lockdown can stop that, just as Italy's lockdown is slowly recovering their situation, and hopefully we'll see more results from Spain and France soon too.

It'd be great if it was more contagious, since that would mean we can end the lockdown sooner, but it's clearly necessary.

In fact, if it's more infectious than thought, that merely increases the need for a total lockdown, since anything less wouldn't be effective enough to prevent the overwhelming of the health service.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

That'd be great.

:thumbup:
C69

Post by C69 »

happyhooker wrote:
c69 wrote:
Cthulu's Trilby wrote:

I think it started with your harrowing London news post, but he prob means others as well.

That's fineI'll stop posting then. See post above who obviously knows better than someone who links in with ITU's across the UK on an hourly basis tbh
J Man

Post by J Man »

Then what explains what we've seen in northern Italy?
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

c69 wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
c69 wrote:
Cthulu's Trilby wrote:

That's fineI'll stop posting then. See post above who obviously knows better than someone who links in with ITU's across the UK on an hourly basis tbh
Now I didn't suggest that for a moment
C69

Post by C69 »

HH this moronic post, ffs people who link together working in the field don't tell the media obviously
Yes, overwhelmed they may be, but if hospital staff in London were 'dropping like flies' I'm sure we'd be hearing about it from numerous sources. That day may well come, but it hasn't arrived yet.
I am not being party political and have no agenda and have been impressed at times by the govt.
I just want to give a view from the front line as I work in Ventilation and Critical care
Last edited by C69 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

That was basically what the FT article I posted a few pages back was suggesting. Not convinced, but would be great if it were true

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd ... bea055720b

The new coronavirus may already have infected far more people in the UK than scientists had previously estimated — perhaps as much as half the population — according to modelling by researchers at the University of Oxford.

If the results are confirmed, they imply that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with Covid-19 become ill enough to need hospital treatment, said Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology, who led the study. The vast majority develop very mild symptoms or none at all.

“We need immediately to begin large-scale serological surveys — antibody testing — to assess what stage of the epidemic we are in now,” she said.

The modelling by Oxford’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease group indicates that Covid-19 reached the UK by mid-January at the latest. Like many emerging infections, it spread invisibly for more than a month before the first transmissions within the UK were officially recorded at the end of February.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Margin_Walker wrote:
That was basically what the FT article I posted a few pages back was suggesting. Not convinced, but would be great if it were true

The new coronavirus may already have infected far more people in the UK than scientists had previously estimated — perhaps as much as half the population — according to modelling by researchers at the University of Oxford.

If the results are confirmed, they imply that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with Covid-19 become ill enough to need hospital treatment, said Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology, who led the study. The vast majority develop very mild symptoms or none at all.

“We need immediately to begin large-scale serological surveys — antibody testing — to assess what stage of the epidemic we are in now,” she said.

The modelling by Oxford’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease group indicates that Covid-19 reached the UK by mid-January at the latest. Like many emerging infections, it spread invisibly for more than a month before the first transmissions within the UK were officially recorded at the end of February.
It would be great, but it still doesn't change the necessity for a lockdown (as I said, if anything, it increases it), it just means it'll be shorter.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

c69 wrote:HH this moronic post, ffs people who link together working in the field don't tell the media obviously
Yes, overwhelmed they may be, but if hospital staff in London were 'dropping like flies' I'm sure we'd be hearing about it from numerous sources. That day may well come, but it hasn't arrived yet.
I am not being party political and have no agenda and have been impressed at times by the govt.
I just want to give a view from the front line as I work in Ventilation and Critical care
Fairy nuff.

Wasn't having a go at you btw.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Why did nobody die of it in December then?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:Does anyone know why PPE is a central government competency rather than an NHS one?
Off ignore, but seriously fudge of with this shit on this thread
You are poisonous
Must protect the Tory party at all costs - it’s quite insane
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Could be a look at the future in Europe. Singapore needs a second lockdown (which I think was just no one in or out, conflicting reports) due to a rise after the first one:
https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/statu ... 6872195072

Amichai Stein
@AmichaiStein1
#BREAKING: Singapore has re-introduced locked down after reports of a second wave of #coronavirus, 49 tested today positive for the virus
If that Oxford report above is right, then the herd requirements to prevent another wave wouldn't take as long as we thought. I doubt it is.
Last edited by eldanielfire on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

DOB wrote:
Why did nobody die of it in December then?
And why is it killing so many in Spain and Italy? Even if this unlikely scenario turns out to be correct, it would have been reckless in the extreme to take the chance.
C69

Post by C69 »

happyhooker wrote:
c69 wrote:HH this moronic post, ffs people who link together working in the field don't tell the media obviously
Fairy nuff.

Wasn't having a go at you btw.
I know.
I am doing loads of training atm, and need to be in a train the trainer role atm, I am linking with our local sister hospital and tring to free up ICU beds and what is great working together :thumbup:
By feck the peak is about 5 weeks off atm and lets be honest everyone will know someone who dies.
I suspect the worse place to be is in hospital btw with the lack of testing
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Some good news, the Coronavirus mutates slowly meaning a vaccine will likelybe effective:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/t ... story.html

The coronavirus isn’t mutating quickly, suggesting a vaccine would offer lasting protection
A scanning electron microscope image shows SARS-CoV-2 (yellow) isolated from a patient in the United States, emerging from the surface of cells (blue/pink) cultured in the lab.
A scanning electron microscope image shows SARS-CoV-2 (yellow) isolated from a patient in the United States, emerging from the surface of cells (blue/pink) cultured in the lab. (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases/Reuters)
By
Joel Achenbach
March 24, 2020 at 8:30 p.m. GMT
The coronavirus is not mutating significantly as it circulates through the human population, according to scientists who are closely studying the novel pathogen’s genetic code. That relative stability suggests the virus is less likely to become more or less dangerous as it spreads, and represents encouraging news for researchers hoping to create a long-lasting vaccine.

All viruses evolve over time, accumulating mutations as they replicate imperfectly inside a host’s cells in tremendous numbers and then spread through a population, with some of those mutations persisting through natural selection. The new coronavirus has proofreading machinery, however, and that reduces the “error rate” and the pace of mutation. It looks pretty much the same everywhere it has appeared, the scientists say, and there is no evidence that some strains are deadlier than others.

SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the disease covid-19, is similar to coronaviruses that circulate naturally in bats. It jumped into the human species last year in Wuhan, China, likely through an intermediate species — possibly a pangolin, an endangered anteater whose scales are trafficked for traditional medicine.

AD

Scientists now are studying more than 1,000 different samples of the virus, Peter Thielen, a molecular geneticist at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory who has been studying the virus, told The Washington Post.

There are only about four to 10 genetic differences between the strains that have infected people in the United States and the original virus that spread in Wuhan, he said.

“That’s a relatively small number of mutations for having passed through a large number of people,” Thielen said. “At this point, the mutation rate of the virus would suggest that the vaccine developed for SARS-CoV-2 would be a single vaccine, rather than a new vaccine every year like the flu vaccine.”

Sign up for our Coronavirus Updates newsletter to track the outbreak. All stories linked in the newsletter are free to access.

It would be more like the measles or chickenpox vaccines, he said — something that would likely confer immunity for a long time.

AD

“I would expect a vaccine for coronavirus would have a similar profile to those vaccines. It’s great news,” Thielen said.

Several vaccines against covid-19 are in development, but experts estimate it will be at least a year to 18 months before one becomes available.

Two other virologists, Stanley Perlman of the University of Iowa and Benjamin Neuman of Texas A&M University at Texarkana, both of whom were on the international committee that named the coronavirus, told The Post that the virus appears relatively stable.

“The virus has not mutated to any significant extent,” Perlman said.

“Just one ‘pretty bad’ strain for everybody so far. If it’s still around in a year, by that point we might have some diversity,” Neuman said.

Neuman contrasted the coronavirus with influenza, which is notoriously slippery.

AD

“Flu does have one trick up its sleeve that coronaviruses do not have — the flu virus genome is broken up into several segments, each of which codes for a gene. When two flu viruses are in the same cell, they can swap some segments, potentially creating a new combination instantly — this is how the H1N1 ‘swine’ flu originated,” Neuman said.

It is possible that a small mutation in the virus could have outsized effects in the clinical outcome of covid-19, the experts say. That has been known to happen with other viruses. But there’s no sign this is happening with the novel coronavirus.

The dramatic death rates in Italy, for example, are most likely due to situational factors — an older population, hospitals being overwhelmed, shortages of ventilators and the resulting rationing of lifesaving care — rather than some difference in the pathogen itself.

AD

“So far, we don’t have any evidence linking a specific virus [strain] to any disease severity score,” Thielen said. “Right now, disease severity is much more likely to be driven by other factors.”

Although one team of scientists earlier this year suggested there might be two distinct strains of the virus with different levels of typical disease severity, that conjecture has not been embraced by the scientific community.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

eldanielfire wrote:Could be a look at the future in Europe. Singapore needs a second lockdown (which I think was just no one in or out, conflicting reports) due to a rise after the first one:
https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/statu ... 6872195072

Amichai Stein
@AmichaiStein1
#BREAKING: Singapore has re-introduced locked down after reports of a second wave of #coronavirus, 49 tested today positive for the virus
If that Oxford report above is right, then the herd requirements to prevent another wave wouldn't take as long as we thought. I doubt it is.
Singapore didn’t have a proper lock down, they had a range of measures but not lock down AFAIK
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Thomas wrote:
That'd be great.

Except Trump will be proven smarter than the rest of us. :((
C69

Post by C69 »

c69 wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
c69 wrote:
Xupi wrote:
6.Jones wrote:I spent this morning trawling the Internet and the medical consensus seems to be coalescing around a real 1% death rate. That's of all cases, not just diagnosed ones. Currently in the United States it's about 4% but they're resisting testing. So the big question is how many people get it over what period of time, and when a vaccine arrives. With Italy closed down completely now, they're betting on the vaccine. America is taking the opposite approach, which is to let it run its course. Option A gives the best chance of saving the most people. Option B maybe gives the best chance of saving the economy, although that's a fiendishly complex equation.
Any idea why the ratio of death is so much higher in Italy than in any other place so far (except maybe Iran)? something just does not compute, the death toll if you compare Italy and neighbors France or Germany is illogical...
Yes the Italian mortality rate seems atm to be an outlier.
Maybe Italians aren't presenting themselves for diagnosis?
The fact is they have run out of ICU beds and ventilators in Italy.
One of the major issues is that loads of the consumables etc and drugs for that matter needed to be used in ICU are made in China.
In the UK atm we have a spike in Flu cases, the PPE is typically the same for CoVID 19.
If we get the figures that Italy have we are going to run out of protective equipment rapidly. If we close schools and isolate, we will run out of staff rapidly.
I know loads of staff who are at present growning beards so they can't be FIT tested for FFP3/N95 masks.
It's crazy.
THis was 8 days after I said about the vents in Italy
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Sandstorm wrote:
Thomas wrote:
That'd be great.

Except Trump will be proven smarter than the rest of us. :((
Unless their cases start dropping he won't be. If it spreads faster lockdown is even more important vs lighter measures.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Margin_Walker wrote:

On this, three weeks ago, when the world was a different place, my wife got what we thought was a 24 hour bug. She had a cough, a slight fever, flu like aches and pains, fatigue and, something we weren't aware was in any way significant at the time, a burning at he back of her throat around the nasal airway. It wiped her out for 24 hours, and she slept for a day, but was fine and out walking within 48 hours. A day or so later developed a slight cough, the same burning sensation in the same place in my throat, and felt so tired that I went back to bed at lunchtime, but I don't think I had a fever and had no aches and pains. Again, I was back to normal within 24 hours and we didn't really think anything more of it, and we were already social distancing and had cut out any unnecessary contact other than shopping. Although I did play golf once with a couple of friends, during which we were very careful to follow the HSE advise.

I really hadn't given it much thought subsequently, and to be honest at the time we didn't want to be annoying our already overworked GP by over reacting, but I must be the last man in Europe to have read about the relevance of the throat symptom, and am now giving serious consideration to the possibility we've already had the virus. Despite the fact that I'm fitter and healthier than I've been in probably 20 years I'm in the high risk category due to having had two separate surgeries on my lungs to remove cancerous spots, secondaries to colon cancer I had surgery for 9 years ago, so I would be thrilled to know if we had already had the bastard virus, but at this point there's no way of finding out.
my 2 cents

Post by my 2 cents »

Duff Paddy wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:Does anyone know why PPE is a central government competency rather than an NHS one?
You are poisonous
Is your denigration of them just the other side of same coin?
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

C69

Post by C69 »

my 2 cents wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
c69 wrote:
You are poisonous
Is your denigration of them just the other side of same coin?
Take party poilitics to another thread ffs
my 2 cents

Post by my 2 cents »

Lenny wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

On this, three weeks ago, when the world was a different place, my wife got what we thought was a 24 hour bug. She had a cough, a slight fever, flu like aches and pains, fatigue and, something we weren't aware was in any way significant at the time, a burning at he back of her throat around the nasal airway. It wiped her out for 24 hours, and she slept for a day, but was fine and out walking within 48 hours. A day or so later developed a slight cough, the same burning sensation in the same place in my throat, and felt so tired that I went back to bed at lunchtime, but I don't think I had a fever and had no aches and pains. Again, I was back to normal within 24 hours and we didn't really think anything more of it, and we were already social distancing and had cut out any unnecessary contact other than shopping. Although I did play golf once with a couple of friends, during which we were very careful to follow the HSE advise.

I really hadn't given it much thought subsequently, and to be honest at the time we didn't want to be annoying our already overworked GP by over reacting, but I must be the last man in Europe to have read about the relevance of the throat symptom, and am now giving serious consideration to the possibility we've already had the virus. Despite the fact that I'm fitter and healthier than I've been in probably 20 years I'm in the high risk category due to having had two separate surgeries on my lungs to remove cancerous spots, secondaries to colon cancer I had surgery for 9 years ago, so I would be thrilled to know if we had already had the bastard virus, but at this point there's no way of finding out.
Last edited by my 2 cents on Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
my 2 cents

Post by my 2 cents »

my 2 cents wrote:
Lenny wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Fingers crossed you've both had it already. Bring on the retro test. Would alleviate much worry
C69

Post by C69 »

happyhooker wrote:Interesting thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/queenchristi ... 9862466563
Meh
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

I see Pornhum has extended free premium to the UK. Been wondering where Yeeb was.
C69

Post by C69 »

America is f**ked

:( :(
Boobs not Moobs

c69 wrote:America is f**ked

Economy/money comes first, that's what he's saying and he has 60% approval rating. Bonkers.
C69

Post by C69 »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:

Economy/money comes first, that's what he's saying and he has 60% approval rating. Bonkers.
:(
C69

Post by C69 »

I hope that I have adequate PPE tomorrow
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:

Where are you getting the approval rating from?
Boobs not Moobs

Gavin Duffy wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:

Where are you getting the approval rating from?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... l-k86e29ot
C69

Post by C69 »

The press have obviously been bried that that may be 50% of the UK may have been infected atm.
BBC NEWS NOW

There is a suggestion this was a deliberate policy reagrding herd immunity.
If it works ...
Stay safe guys