Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
New guy

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by New guy »

message #2527204 wrote:I wonder how they conduct the antibody tests?
It would be nice if everyone had one, but what would be the psychological effect?
Those with antibody can come out of lockdown - those without? What would they do? Panic? Try and get infected? Sit at home forever?
I guess theoretically if 50% of the population are immune its relatively safe to let everyone out because;

1. It can't be that dangerous after all (most people dont even show symptoms)
2. You're not all that likely to catch it anyway as every other person on the train or on the office has immunity.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Mick Mannock wrote:Are there figures to show which London boroughs populations have most cases.?

Actually, forget that as they are likely skewed by the presence of large hospitals in some boroughs
Them Tube pictures, it’s going to be ground zero. It’s what Cambridge medics fear- London fücking it for everybody else.
Saint

Post by Saint »

DragsterDriver wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:Are there figures to show which London boroughs populations have most cases.?

Actually, forget that as they are likely skewed by the presence of large hospitals in some boroughs
Them Tube pictures, it’s going to be ground zero. It’s what Cambridge medics fear- London fücking it for everybody else.
There's a reason why it;s suddenly being mooted to close Parliament after they get the bill through today; it;s evacuation time
slick

Post by slick »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
c69 wrote:America is f**ked

:( :(
Economy/money comes first, that's what he's saying and he has 60% approval rating. Bonkers.
Thing is, in the cold light of day a lot of folk do see that approach as being with merit, it's just that no one is mad enough to try it. Well, someone is, and he knows he will be generally supported for it. Will be....... interesting.
Saint

Post by Saint »

slick wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:

Economy/money comes first, that's what he's saying and he has 60% approval rating. Bonkers.
Thing is, in the cold light of day a lot of folk do see that approach as being with merit, it's just that no one is mad enough to try it. Well, someone is, and he knows he will be generally supported for it. Will be....... interesting.
Until the body bags start piling up. Then you'll discover exactly how far support for the economy goes.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

goeagles wrote:
my 2 cents wrote:
goeagles wrote:
Thats good to hear on 2. Best of luck over there btw :thumbup:
Cheers. I'm preparing for the worst, hoping for the best. Colorado seems to be one of the better places to be here but it still could get rough. Glad I don't live in NYC.
The issue of sick pay is key - if people cant afford to self isolate the poor areas will be hit doubly hard
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Saint wrote:
slick wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:

Until the body bags start piling up. Then you'll discover exactly how far support for the economy goes.
Yeah talk is cheap
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Saint wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

There's a reason why it;s suddenly being mooted to close Parliament after they get the bill through today; it;s evacuation time

But people are being told not to move , how can they evacuate? Though I’d argue there’s a total lack of care currently in the capital, ffs they’re piling on to tubes while I can’t walk my dog more than once a day in a field on my own.
slick

Post by slick »

Saint wrote:
slick wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:

Just to be clear, I think it's a f**king crazy strategy. However, there might just be enough people in the US that will blindly follow Trump that that's the way he goes with their blessing. I don't want anyone to die, but it might be the only thing that will bring sanity into it is Trump going down.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

bimboman wrote:
Saint wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

But people are being told not to move , how can they evacuate? Though I’d argue there’s a total lack of care currently in the capital, ffs they’re piling on to tubes while I can’t walk my dog more than once a day in a field on my own.
Is it true that something needs to pass parliament Thursday to complete a full Lockdown?
Saint

Post by Saint »

bimboman wrote:
Saint wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

I never said it was evacuation time for the great unwashed did I?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

slick wrote:
Saint wrote:
slick wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:

Just to be clear, I think it's a f**king crazy strategy. However, there might just be enough people in the US that will blindly follow Trump that that's the way he goes with their blessing. I don't want anyone to die, but it might be the only thing that will bring sanity into it is Trump going down.
The real disaster is going to be amongst their massive poor communities
- the homeless cities in LA and SF
- poor immigrant communities who don’t have sick pay to self isolate and no medical insurance/visa
- the elderly obese with poor medical insurance

A section of American society literally could not care less about 1 and 2
Saint

Post by Saint »

DragsterDriver wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Saint wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

Is it true that something needs to pass parliament Thursday to complete a full Lockdown?
Yes. The rozzers don;t have the powers at the moment to enforce most of the "rules". They're planning on passing it tonight I believe
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Thanks saint, hard to know what to believe these days. Should mean full lockdown then at last.
Petej

Post by Petej »

Saint wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

Yeah. The london situation scares me. Though there is a significant reduction in people around.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Petej wrote:
Saint wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

Yeah. The london situation scares me. Though there is a significant reduction in people around.
Foot Up

Post by Foot Up »

From Paul Krugman of the NYT this morning
The number to look at here isn’t raw population density, which can be misleading: greater Los Angeles and greater New York have almost the same ratio of people to land area, because L.A. is hemmed in by mountains, while the New York metro area extends all the way into Pennsylvania. But obviously Angelenos don’t have a New York-style urban experience. What you want to look at instead is “population-weighted density,” which asks how dense a neighborhood the average person lives in.

And this measure shows that New York is in a class of its own, with the average resident living in a census tract with more than 31,000 people per square mile. (My own neighborhood has about 60,000 people per square mile.) That’s two-and-a-half times the density in San Francisco or L.A., four times the density of Chicago.
No wonder NYC getting hit so hard, will be very messy :(
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

A lot of California's homeless Winter there and would normally return to the likes of Wisconsin for their own summer.
I take it that movement is impossible now?
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

lorcanoworms wrote:A lot of California's homeless Winter there and would normally return to the likes of Wisconsin for their own summer.
I take it that movement is impossible now?
"A lot" is a very vague and useful term when spouting bullshit isn't it
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

sonic_attack wrote:Trump is going to chuck his population under the bus isn't he.
While pointing the finger of blame at someone else
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Kings College have developed a new app to track COVID19. It takes 2 minutes to download and setup and seconds to check in daily with your current health status. Shared to me on a work group chat. You're doing fvck all else anyway....

https://covid.joinzoe.com/
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

goeagles wrote:Also, we have a lot of problems, but you guys make it out like our health care system is 3rd world, which is decidedly not the case. It's horrendously expensive, but it's also one of the best in the world. Most studies you see ranking us low in the OECD are due to cost, not due to the level of care. Take, for example, this graphic:

It's one of the best if you can afford to access it. When a significant proportion of your population regularly makes decisions to not have health issues seen to due to cost, ti's a terrible system. I mean how muhc does the $700 price tag to getting tested for the Corona Virus hamper the ability to track and contain it?
Last edited by eldanielfire on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
slick wrote:
Saint wrote:
slick wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:
The real disaster is going to be amongst their massive poor communities
- the homeless cities in LA and SF
- poor immigrant communities who don’t have sick pay to self isolate and no medical insurance/visa
- the elderly obese with poor medical insurance

A section of American society literally could not care less about 1 and 2
1 and 2 also have lots of guns and ammo. They should care.
Wouldnt be fun to watch armed conflict between the haves and the have-nots.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

https://twitter.com/hardmanr/status/124 ... 80768?s=21

Duff bait! They even mention spitfires :smug:
Double

Post by Double »

Double wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
J Man wrote:
Double wrote:I reckon in 3 weeks time we're going to start getting the antibody tests back in the UK and realise that everyone here got coronavirus back in late December/early January, that the disease is 10 times more virulent and 10 times less deadly than we expected, and that this lockdown was a giant waste of everyone's time.
Then what explains what we've seen in northern Italy?
That we have some corona immunity by always having colds? And yes I know this may well be complete bollox.

If you can get it with no fever then I may well have had it, who knows.
This is obviously complete speculation, but my thinking is that perhaps the patient load of dealing with someone presumed having coronavirus is much greater than for an elderly person with pneumonia. If every Covid patient needs isolation conditions, PPE for carers, further measures than usual - what would look like a middling flu season to people in December, unaware of the virus, suddenly becomes a healthcare nightmare.

It's also looking like exposure to pollution could be a massive contributor to severe reaction, and Northern Italy is one of the most polluted places in Europe. Most other polluted places in Europe are cities where the elderly population is much lower.

For the record, I'm not saying that the lockdown should be ended, just that I think this is how it will turn out.
Last I'll say on it but this was an interesting piece from the telegraph:

"The scientific adviser to Italys minister of health, Professor Walter Ricciardi, explains that Italy is overreporting normal old-person and sick-person deaths as coronavirus, by as much as 800%. He said, The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus. On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Double wrote:Last I'll say on it but this was an interesting piece from the telegraph:

"The scientific adviser to Italys minister of health, Professor Walter Ricciardi, explains that Italy is overreporting normal old-person and sick-person deaths as coronavirus, by as much as 800%. He said, The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus. On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus.
They still clearly needed to be hospitalised. Italy are still clearly overwhelmed. Whether this thing is far more infectious than thought or not, is irrelevant, it's clear that it can overwhelm health services, and lockdown is the only way to prevent that (making it more infectious only increases the need for full lockdown, and not half measures).
Saint

Post by Saint »

OptimisticJock wrote:Kings College have developed a new app to track COVID19. It takes 2 minutes to download and setup and seconds to check in daily with your current health status. Shared to me on a work group chat. You're doing fvck all else anyway....

In a similar vein - https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/03/2 ... 70_pflops/
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

DragsterDriver wrote:https://twitter.com/hardmanr/status/124 ... 80768?s=21

Duff bait! They even mention spitfires :smug:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Saint wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:Kings College have developed a new app to track COVID19. It takes 2 minutes to download and setup and seconds to check in daily with your current health status. Shared to me on a work group chat. You're doing fvck all else anyway....

In a similar vein - https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/03/2 ... 70_pflops/
Along similar lines, my group is working on a location services app. If you leave or enter a zone defined in a smart contract in the blockchain it alerts the device owner and tells them the rules. So if you enter or leave a district in lockdown it tells you and tells you what to do.

We're doing it as part of this: https://hackorona.in.dev/
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

BTW, before Michael Gove told them to close yesterday, Sports Direct where planning tp up prices to take advantage of the Coronavirus:

eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Prince Charles tests positive.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Far be it for me to defend them, but that's a price list. It doesn't indicate old pricing nor does it make clear there is any price increase involved. Mentions a price change. Without a comparator, it's proof of nothing...???
Last edited by redderneck on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

eldanielfire wrote:Prince Charles tests positive.
He's older than Corbyn isn't he?

Doesn't mean he has the pneumonia, of course.
backrow

Post by backrow »

redderneck wrote:Far be it for me to defend them, but that's a price list. It doesn't indicate old pricing nor does it make clear there is any price increase involved. Mentions a price change. Without a comparator, it's proof of nothing...???
This.
Also, even if all of them were price rises, they may have been pre agreed / annual cost price increase. It’s a standard enough practice for companies to charge more over time.

Have to say though their PR is absolutely shocking, as well as their timing.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

I assume William is being hurried to a safe location far from him as we speak.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

eldanielfire wrote:Prince Charles tests positive.
Wait until his parents get it.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Akkerman wrote:I assume William is being hurried to a safe location far from him as we speak.
You would think.

Mildly amusing thought - if Liz, Charlie, and Wills were all to pop their clogs, Harry becomes Prince Regent and would have to move back to the UK
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Not sure why people are trying to convince themselves that everyone has had it already and it's just that we didn't notice. ICU's are being overrun with healthy people. They won't show up in the death statistics for the most part but I think we'd have noticed a need for a lot more ICU beds around the world over the last few months if it was already prevalent everywhere?

There was talk of two strains though, but I assume you need to get both to be immune to both? So it's moot if people had the milder strain?

Be glad to be corrected by a medical type.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Akkerman wrote:I assume William is being hurried to a safe location far from him as we speak.
I would have such a location would be normal, no ?
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Wasn't the 'coronation' he planned, was it?