Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
6.Jones

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by 6.Jones »

DragsterDriver wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:Anyone in the know...what happens if your kids get it bad? Are you allowed to accompany them to hospital? I guess you should be in self isolation, but I can't imagine leaving mine there alone for 14 days.
We're allowing one parent to accompany them in ambulance.
Addenbrookes hospital has banned visitors, even to ‘end of life’ patients.

In other news the missus bought a world map.... gave me a dart and said "throw this and wherever it lands I'm taking you for a holiday when this pandemic is over". Turns out we're spending two weeks behind the fridge.
:lol:
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

This is horrible.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

message #2527204 wrote:This is horrible.
I suspect he will just throw another dart.
argus

Post by argus »

Mr Mike wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:This is horrible.
I suspect he will just throw another dart.
Lol
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Have we talked about Brazilian president Bolsonaro yet? It's likely he has this, although if he does, it's being kept hidden.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Since we're in the gallows humor phase, at Christmas I started work on a zombie novel. Apropos of nothing, except perhaps a ghoulish laugh, here's the beginning.
Spoiler: show
Prelude - Godwin's Law

I thought I'd get this out of the way at the start. This story's about Nazis.
This story also has an omniscient narrator. It isn't the author. I've already eaten his brains.
Godwin's Law states that as a discussion grows longer, the probability of someone making a comparison involving Nazis approaches unity. The longer the conversation, the more likely some sap mentions Hitler. What's not widely known is the Law's an invention of Nazis, intended to chill the discussion of Nazis online. You might wonder how a corrupt political movement from the past can have the power to nurture an Internet meme.
This is that story.
These are those Nazis.

The best viruses use the power of compound interest to earn a profit on their investment. Take your Ebola. Victims bleed out. If you haven't seen it yourself, you can't imagine how disgusting that is. The important thing is, before the patient dies, they must infect more victims. If a virus can infect two people before killing its host, then ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves an epidemic.
Like many deadly viruses, the Nanozombie virus came about by the accidental mixing of viruses from unrelated species. The Christian celebrity homemaker Betty Bowers was making turducken for Christmas. Don't be misled by the word 'turd'. Turducken's a feast, where a chicken is stuffed in a duck, inside a turkey. Little did Betty know that this would result in the combination of three hitherto harmless viruses, into a super virus, and the end of human life as we know it.
Where is your god now, Betty Bowers?

It was a cold day in the Bowers house that fateful Christmas eve. A shroud of white had turned downtown Spokane into a winter wonderland. Children were singing carols for drugs on the green. Christmas lights sputtered and fizzed with the power supply. Nothing worked, since America decided to burn only coal, to trigger inner-city liberals. Betty was putting her bondage toys away: wrist and ankle restraints, and spreader bars. The first hint that Betty had that something was wrong was when little Lucifer came gnashing and writhing out of the kitchen.
The first thing she thought was demonic possession. Thankfully, she kept a phial of holy water on hand for such occasions. The problem was it was in the kitchen. Thankfully, her husband Lars was a white supremacist and he kept a rack of guns by the door, in case of black people. She picked out a gun - a Remington 870-barrel 12-gauge 28" vent rib barrel modified - and blew little Lucy away. One moment the poor child was writhing and gnashing, then his brains were all over the velvet flock wallpaper.
She recoiled in horror. What had she done? Without thinking, she ran a finger through the brains, and tasted them.
That was ground zero.
Which basically shows how easily new viruses occur.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

I have somewhat lost track of what is being discussed where.

It is not on the same level as the delivery vans / emergency services being torched and harassed, but a friend owns a couple of restaurants in Edinburgh.

One of them has just had its windows smashed in.
slick

Post by slick »

Prince Charles is isolating at Balmoral with Covid-19

Andrew is isolating at Windsor with Jenifer-15
CM11

Post by CM11 »

c69 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Double wrote:
CM11 wrote:Not sure why people are trying to convince themselves that everyone has had it already and it's just that we didn't notice. ICU's are being overrun with healthy people. They won't show up in the death statistics for the most part but I think we'd have noticed a need for a lot more ICU beds around the world over the last few months if it was already prevalent everywhere?
But according to the Italian Minister for Health, only 12% actually died as a direct cause of coronavirus. And even that 12% haven't been entirely healthy people. So a large proportion of these people would have been in the ICU anyway - why does Italy seem to be overwhelmed?

It seems possible that it takes a lot more work to deal with someone confirmed to have Covid than someone who is equally ill, but isn't presumed to have an ultra-infectious 1% mortality disease. As soon as you're separating those people, as hospitals are doing, everything becomes much more stressed, and a problem suddenly exists that actually wouldn't if you didn't know that these people had this disease.

Look, we don't know either way, and I'm not saying that the precautions we're taking now aren't merited or whatever. I'm just trying to put reason to that paper from Oxford and propose how, in the slightly bizarre world of statistics, what they've modelled might not be inconsistent with what we're seeing now.

The only way we'll find out is widespread antibody testing, so I can see why the UK government is so keen to get those kits.
It's the healthy people who will survive that are in ICU.

The unhealthy people who have only a small chance of being saved aren't being admitted to ICU and are just being left to die.
Treatment escalation is based upon frailty guidelines.
The NICE clinical fraily score will be a determinor of ICU admission.
If you're saying that it's more frail first, I'm sure that's how it started in Italy too.
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

slick wrote:Prince Charles is isolating at Balmoral with Covid-19

You are a very bad man. I salute you
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

21 year old woman in Buckinghamshire dies from Covid-19 and she had no underlying health issues

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/25/woman-21 ... e.top.link
Druid

Post by Druid »

ManInTheBar wrote:

x1 :thumbup:
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Druid wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:

+2

exceptional :lol:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Druid wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:

:lol:
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

ManInTheBar wrote:

“It’s heirborn!”

Coat etc.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Flyin Ryan wrote:Have we talked about Brazilian president Bolsonaro yet? It's likely he has this, although if he does, it's being kept hidden.
When Trump was told a couple of Brazilian officials had contracted the virus, he asked 'how many zero's in a brazillion' !!
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Anonymous. wrote:21 year old woman in Buckinghamshire dies from Covid-19 and she had no underlying health issues

RIP
ID2

Post by ID2 »

Spain now has more deaths than China. 738 dead in 24 hours. Less attention on Spain than Italy but the seem to be in worse shape
zzzz

Post by zzzz »

ID2 wrote:Spain now has more deaths than China. 738 dead in 24 hours. Less attention on Spain than Italy but the seem to be in worse shape
Bet it doesn't.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

ID2 wrote:Spain now has more deaths than China. 738 dead in 24 hours. Less attention on Spain than Italy but the seem to be in worse shape
Spain has been heading towards being worse than Italy for over a week now. It's been flagged on here but the focus will remain on Italy as we observe whether they've peaked.

Unfortunately Spain looks like it'll have a higher peak.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:21 year old woman in Buckinghamshire dies from Covid-19 and she had no underlying health issues

RIP
How is this not getting more traction. Certainly shocking news. A swift end to the “it’s just a flu” and the “it only affects old people” brigade.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

CM11 wrote:
Spain has been heading towards being worse than Italy for over a week now. It's been flagged on here but the focus will remain on Italy as we observe whether they've peaked.

Unfortunately Spain looks like it'll have a higher peak.
Extrapolating the death rates, Spain will overtake Italy at the end of this month (at about 15k - 16k).

USA could overtake Italy in early April.
zzzz

Post by zzzz »

Seneca of the Night wrote:Rozzer totalitarian humour: https://twitter.com/BDSixsmith/status/1 ... 27264?s=19

Came across his twitter feed the other day and pretty much knew you would follow it!
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

RIP
How is this not getting more traction. Certainly shocking news. A swift end to the “it’s just a flu” and the “it only affects old people” brigade.
We're busy on dad jokes.
zzzz

Post by zzzz »

DragsterDriver wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:BM, if you're still interested in volunteering apparently NHS Scotland is catching up and trying to get something in place.
Is Jerpy going to be standing outside a hospital waving people in with a big foam hand?
He’ll still be at a lock in celebrating with Salmond.
As a digression: anyone fancy guessing what an independenet Scotland would look like now with oil at $20 a barrel, Cv19 and no ability to print its own money?
C69

Post by C69 »

CM11 wrote:
c69 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Double wrote:
CM11 wrote:Not sure why people are trying to convince themselves that everyone has had it already and it's just that we didn't notice. ICU's are being overrun with healthy people. They won't show up in the death statistics for the most part but I think we'd have noticed a need for a lot more ICU beds around the world over the last few months if it was already prevalent everywhere?
But according to the Italian Minister for Health, only 12% actually died as a direct cause of coronavirus. And even that 12% haven't been entirely healthy people. So a large proportion of these people would have been in the ICU anyway - why does Italy seem to be overwhelmed?

It seems possible that it takes a lot more work to deal with someone confirmed to have Covid than someone who is equally ill, but isn't presumed to have an ultra-infectious 1% mortality disease. As soon as you're separating those people, as hospitals are doing, everything becomes much more stressed, and a problem suddenly exists that actually wouldn't if you didn't know that these people had this disease.

Look, we don't know either way, and I'm not saying that the precautions we're taking now aren't merited or whatever. I'm just trying to put reason to that paper from Oxford and propose how, in the slightly bizarre world of statistics, what they've modelled might not be inconsistent with what we're seeing now.

The only way we'll find out is widespread antibody testing, so I can see why the UK government is so keen to get those kits.
It's the healthy people who will survive that are in ICU.

The unhealthy people who have only a small chance of being saved aren't being admitted to ICU and are just being left to die.
Treatment escalation is based upon frailty guidelines.
The NICE clinical fraily score will be a determinor of ICU admission.
If you're saying that it's more frail first, I'm sure that's how it started in Italy too.
I am saying if you are frail as per the score you wont be escalted to ICU or have agressive treatment
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

zzzz wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:BM, if you're still interested in volunteering apparently NHS Scotland is catching up and trying to get something in place.
Is Jerpy going to be standing outside a hospital waving people in with a big foam hand?
He’ll still be at a lock in celebrating with Salmond.
As a digression: anyone fancy guessing what an independenet Scotland would look like now with oil at $20 a barrel, Cv19 and no ability to print its own money?
It's only westminster holding it back apparently.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

Is Charles going to be treated with Homeopathic treatments; or with those crazy, science based methods ? :roll:
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

fishfoodie wrote:Is Charles going to be treated with Homeopathic treatments; or with those crazy, science based methods ? :roll:
He was tested with crystals.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/24/brit-abr ... -12447248/

This is the shocking moment a British tourist is dragged from a swimming pool by police during a nationwide lockdown. Officers jumped into the pool to forcibly remove Joanne Rust, 53, after she reportedly refused to return to her room amid strict quarantine measures imposed on hotels across Spain. In footage filmed by other guests at the Paradise Park Hotel in Los Cristianos, Rust is seen floating on her back and doing backstroke as staff and police stand poolside. One officer then strips to his underwear and jumps into the water before dragging Rust out. She is then handcuffed as the other British guests cheer. One woman is heard saying ‘She deserved that.’

Rust, a Labour councillor and Unison campaign organiser from King’s Lynn, Norfolk, was identified in a MailOnline report. For the last three General Elections, Rust has stood as Labour’s candidate for Norfolk North-West – a safe Tory seat.

"Lock her up!" :lol: :lol:

edit: released without charge, apparently, after she apologised to the Judge
backrow

Post by backrow »

Yer Man wrote:https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/24/brit-abr ... -12447248/

This is the shocking moment a British tourist is dragged from a swimming pool by police during a nationwide lockdown. Officers jumped into the pool to forcibly remove Joanne Rust, 53, after she reportedly refused to return to her room amid strict quarantine measures imposed on hotels across Spain. In footage filmed by other guests at the Paradise Park Hotel in Los Cristianos, Rust is seen floating on her back and doing backstroke as staff and police stand poolside. One officer then strips to his underwear and jumps into the water before dragging Rust out. She is then handcuffed as the other British guests cheer. One woman is heard saying ‘She deserved that.’

Rust, a Labour councillor and Unison campaign organiser from King’s Lynn, Norfolk, was identified in a MailOnline report. For the last three General Elections, Rust has stood as Labour’s candidate for Norfolk North-West – a safe Tory seat.

"Lock her up!" :lol: :lol:

edit: released without charge, apparently, after she apologised to the Judge
“Didn’t get an upgrade!”
Typical labour I’m all right Pedro !

It was the right thing to do to let her go, cops have enough worries without looking after this twat -but would have loved her to get 2 weeks nick
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

DragsterDriver wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:Is Charles going to be treated with Homeopathic treatments; or with those crazy, science based methods ? :roll:
He was tested with crystals.
Has to be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

RIP
Condolences to her family, but I suspect she had no known underlying health issues.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

6.Jones wrote:Since we're in the gallows humor phase, at Christmas I started work on a zombie novel. Apropos of nothing, except perhaps a ghoulish laugh, here's the beginning.
Spoiler: show
Prelude - Godwin's Law

This story also has an omniscient narrator. It isn't the author. I've already eaten his brains.
Godwin's Law states that as a discussion grows longer, the probability of someone making a comparison involving Nazis approaches unity. The longer the conversation, the more likely some sap mentions Hitler. What's not widely known is the Law's an invention of Nazis, intended to chill the discussion of Nazis online. You might wonder how a corrupt political movement from the past can have the power to nurture an Internet meme.
This is that story.
These are those Nazis.

The best viruses use the power of compound interest to earn a profit on their investment. Take your Ebola. Victims bleed out. If you haven't seen it yourself, you can't imagine how disgusting that is. The important thing is, before the patient dies, they must infect more victims. If a virus can infect two people before killing its host, then ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves an epidemic.
Like many deadly viruses, the Nanozombie virus came about by the accidental mixing of viruses from unrelated species. The Christian celebrity homemaker Betty Bowers was making turducken for Christmas. Don't be misled by the word 'turd'. Turducken's a feast, where a chicken is stuffed in a duck, inside a turkey. Little did Betty know that this would result in the combination of three hitherto harmless viruses, into a super virus, and the end of human life as we know it.
Where is your god now, Betty Bowers?

It was a cold day in the Bowers house that fateful Christmas eve. A shroud of white had turned downtown Spokane into a winter wonderland. Children were singing carols for drugs on the green. Christmas lights sputtered and fizzed with the power supply. Nothing worked, since America decided to burn only coal, to trigger inner-city liberals. Betty was putting her bondage toys away: wrist and ankle restraints, and spreader bars. The first hint that Betty had that something was wrong was when little Lucifer came gnashing and writhing out of the kitchen.
The first thing she thought was demonic possession. Thankfully, she kept a phial of holy water on hand for such occasions. The problem was it was in the kitchen. Thankfully, her husband Lars was a white supremacist and he kept a rack of guns by the door, in case of black people. She picked out a gun - a Remington 870-barrel 12-gauge 28" vent rib barrel modified - and blew little Lucy away. One moment the poor child was writhing and gnashing, then his brains were all over the velvet flock wallpaper.
She recoiled in horror. What had she done? Without thinking, she ran a finger through the brains, and tasted them.
That was ground zero.
Which basically shows how easily new viruses occur.
Lovely start :uhoh: Put me right off the rest of it. How does it end? Well or poorly?

Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

RIP
Condolences to her family, but I suspect she had no known underlying health issues.
Yeah that’s certainly possible but at the end of the day an outwardly healthy young girl has died
Saint

Post by Saint »

Despite Singapore closing it's borders to transit passengers, Quantas are keeping QF1/QF2 (Sydney - Heathrow) going for 1 week only, stoppng for 90 minutes in Darwin for a quick splash of fuel before continuing onwards for a nearly 17 hour uninterrupted flight. Limited to a week to facilitate international repatriations only, but at 17 uninterrupted hours in the air I'd being thinking long and hard about staying put wherever I was.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

backrow wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
redderneck wrote:Far be it for me to defend them, but that's a price list. It doesn't indicate old pricing nor does it make clear there is any price increase involved. Mentions a price change. Without a comparator, it's proof of nothing...???
Read the news stories connected with it and on TV Multiple sources confirmed the repricing and raising of prices.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... es-50.html
Ah now puttingnprices up 50% is a cnunts trick and I hope he goes bust
If it was w standard price increase then could have been already planned. Sadly I don’t think his clientele will vote with their feet once normality resumes
His justification was SD sells cheaply anyway and it would still be below market value. That is true, but it's the taking advantage which matters. I wish there was a realistic alternative to SD around that was similarly as cheap and big.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Double wrote:
Double wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
J Man wrote:
Double wrote:I reckon in 3 weeks time we're going to start getting the antibody tests back in the UK and realise that everyone here got coronavirus back in late December/early January, that the disease is 10 times more virulent and 10 times less deadly than we expected, and that this lockdown was a giant waste of everyone's time.
Then what explains what we've seen in northern Italy?
That we have some corona immunity by always having colds? And yes I know this may well be complete bollox.

If you can get it with no fever then I may well have had it, who knows.
This is obviously complete speculation, but my thinking is that perhaps the patient load of dealing with someone presumed having coronavirus is much greater than for an elderly person with pneumonia. If every Covid patient needs isolation conditions, PPE for carers, further measures than usual - what would look like a middling flu season to people in December, unaware of the virus, suddenly becomes a healthcare nightmare.

It's also looking like exposure to pollution could be a massive contributor to severe reaction, and Northern Italy is one of the most polluted places in Europe. Most other polluted places in Europe are cities where the elderly population is much lower.

For the record, I'm not saying that the lockdown should be ended, just that I think this is how it will turn out.
Last I'll say on it but this was an interesting piece from the telegraph:

"The scientific adviser to Italys minister of health, Professor Walter Ricciardi, explains that Italy is overreporting normal old-person and sick-person deaths as coronavirus, by as much as 800%. He said, The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus. On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus.
Last you'll say - this is clearly wishful thinking. Why is the health system completely overwhelmed?!
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... 1585146737

More backstreet engineering i expect.