Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

message #2527204 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:15 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm And today , we’ve had a senior police officer flanking the Home Secretary explain that his officers will no longer “reason” with the public.

Think on that in regard to the UK and normality.


Will we be told when that “reason” will enter back into our relationship with the police.
They've no duty to reason with you anyway if you're breaking the law. I think polls show that the curtain twitchers on the left, and the flog 'em, hang 'em brigade on the right are well in the majority when it comes to fining and or arresting people who sit on a park bench.


Sorry, you’re saying that you welcome our police force abandoning reason in their dealings with the public ?


Good luck with that when we have policing by consent.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12890
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by message #2527204 »

bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:15 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm And today , we’ve had a senior police officer flanking the Home Secretary explain that his officers will no longer “reason” with the public.

Think on that in regard to the UK and normality.


Will we be told when that “reason” will enter back into our relationship with the police.
They've no duty to reason with you anyway if you're breaking the law. I think polls show that the curtain twitchers on the left, and the flog 'em, hang 'em brigade on the right are well in the majority when it comes to fining and or arresting people who sit on a park bench.

Sorry, you’re saying that you welcome our police force abandoning reason in their dealings with the public ?


Good luck with that when we have policing by consent.

The policy has been to reason with people before issuing a fine. This doesn't mean to act unreasonably ffs.
Policing is by consent of the majority, not the person being arrested/fined, which is why I mentioned the polling.
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

message #2527204 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:35 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:15 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm And today , we’ve had a senior police officer flanking the Home Secretary explain that his officers will no longer “reason” with the public.

Think on that in regard to the UK and normality.


Will we be told when that “reason” will enter back into our relationship with the police.
They've no duty to reason with you anyway if you're breaking the law. I think polls show that the curtain twitchers on the left, and the flog 'em, hang 'em brigade on the right are well in the majority when it comes to fining and or arresting people who sit on a park bench.

Sorry, you’re saying that you welcome our police force abandoning reason in their dealings with the public ?


Good luck with that when we have policing by consent.

The policy has been to reason with people before issuing a fine. This doesn't mean to act unreasonably ffs.
Policing is by consent of the majority, not the person being arrested/fined, which is why I mentioned the polling.


When polled 80% of the population said they’d self isolate if covid positive in reality less than 20% do.

Polls are not how you govern.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12890
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by message #2527204 »

bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:44 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:35 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:15 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm And today , we’ve had a senior police officer flanking the Home Secretary explain that his officers will no longer “reason” with the public.

Think on that in regard to the UK and normality.


Will we be told when that “reason” will enter back into our relationship with the police.
They've no duty to reason with you anyway if you're breaking the law. I think polls show that the curtain twitchers on the left, and the flog 'em, hang 'em brigade on the right are well in the majority when it comes to fining and or arresting people who sit on a park bench.

Sorry, you’re saying that you welcome our police force abandoning reason in their dealings with the public ?


Good luck with that when we have policing by consent.

The policy has been to reason with people before issuing a fine. This doesn't mean to act unreasonably ffs.
Policing is by consent of the majority, not the person being arrested/fined, which is why I mentioned the polling.


When polled 80% of the population said they’d self isolate if covid positive in reality less than 20% do.

Polls are not how you govern.
It doesn't mean you are acting unreasonably by fining someone for breaking the law.
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

message #2527204 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:46 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:44 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:35 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:15 pm

They've no duty to reason with you anyway if you're breaking the law. I think polls show that the curtain twitchers on the left, and the flog 'em, hang 'em brigade on the right are well in the majority when it comes to fining and or arresting people who sit on a park bench.

Sorry, you’re saying that you welcome our police force abandoning reason in their dealings with the public ?


Good luck with that when we have policing by consent.

The policy has been to reason with people before issuing a fine. This doesn't mean to act unreasonably ffs.
Policing is by consent of the majority, not the person being arrested/fined, which is why I mentioned the polling.


When polled 80% of the population said they’d self isolate if covid positive in reality less than 20% do.

Polls are not how you govern.
It doesn't mean you are acting unreasonably by fining someone for breaking the law.

If the law is indeed being broken, we hear a lot about regulations or guidance not being followed , or the recent one about “spirit “ from Derbyshire police. I’m reality like all the larger fines few of these will stand in court.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12890
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by message #2527204 »

bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:01 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:46 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:44 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:35 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 pm


Sorry, you’re saying that you welcome our police force abandoning reason in their dealings with the public ?


Good luck with that when we have policing by consent.

The policy has been to reason with people before issuing a fine. This doesn't mean to act unreasonably ffs.
Policing is by consent of the majority, not the person being arrested/fined, which is why I mentioned the polling.


When polled 80% of the population said they’d self isolate if covid positive in reality less than 20% do.

Polls are not how you govern.
It doesn't mean you are acting unreasonably by fining someone for breaking the law.

If the law is indeed being broken, we hear a lot about regulations or guidance not being followed , or the recent one about “spirit “ from Derbyshire police. I’m reality like all the larger fines few of these will stand in court.
No. I imagine the reality is that they just want people to stop breaking the law in order to help the NHS
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

No. I imagine the reality is that they just want people to stop breaking the law in order to help the NHS
Random laws to help the NHS will be looked upon in a few years as laughable (I hope) , these are laws passed by corruption of a previous law with no parliamentary scrutiny, don’t keep pretending they replace common sense or in fact aren’t a nightmare.
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by RodneyRegis »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:57 pm
bimboman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:56 pm
hermie wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:54 pm
BlackMac wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:44 pm
CM11 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:40 pm

We accelerated massively, we were either best or second best in Europe just before Christmas. We now have an overloaded hospital system. Fingers crossed the recent dip will help ease the burden.
Stay safe. How are you doing with the vaccine role out over there. The Scottish government are already missing their target but nearly 50%.
Not as bad as Belgium, Holland, France but pretty near the bottom of the EU table.

Spain and a Italy are both worse than the Netherlands . Even Germany is sadly having larger life loss now.

It’s almost as if lockdowns and masks don’t actually work.
Except they do, tons of data at this point shown they reduce spread. Europe walked blind into the winter as if viruses don't spread considerably more each and every year. It was denial. Likewise is the addiction to movement. New Zealand and Oz have shown the way even if they have more favourable conditions to do so and some good fortune in timing.

However I will point out something the SAGA boses did point out at the start of lockdowns last march, is lockdowns will eventually get less compliance over time. It was the justification for starting it later.

However the virus rises is an exponential trend, earlier lockdowns would have meant the spread being reduced earlier and numbers can drop more quickly, shortening the need for the lockdown to run. It should also be accompanied with strong measures on isolating and/or testing everyone who enters the country. That last measure is where Europe is failing badly.


New Zealand and Australia :lol:
Nz is at the beach mate. Its f**king summer. Remember August? No restrictions, barely any cases?

Where is this tons of data that lockdown reduce spread? Data, not models please. Not 'its common sense', actual data. Comparing previous winters' spread without lockdown, or comparing spread in identical countries without lockdown?

It's simply not possible to have tons of data. The only real comparison is Sweden during lockdown 1.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12890
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by message #2527204 »

bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:12 pm
No. I imagine the reality is that they just want people to stop breaking the law in order to help the NHS
Random laws to help the NHS will be looked upon in a few years as laughable (I hope) , these are laws passed by corruption of a previous law with no parliamentary scrutiny, don’t keep pretending they replace common sense or in fact aren’t a nightmare.
I totally agree. As I said, the only reason for this is to get people to use their common sense and think twice before having 30 people over for a party.
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by RodneyRegis »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:22 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:17 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:05 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:03 pm You know better than to lump NH posters in with Bimbot. He is a genuine cunt who has no problem with this virus killing millions of people.
:thumbup: I know, he's human scum. This is shown by the fact that he's clearly excited about so many of his countrymen dying from this virus.
You’re the slimy bit on excrement ....
Says the guy who gets clearly excited about his countrymen dying from COVID-19 because that means he gets more attention on a Rugby chat site.
This is a pretty sick line, and preposterous rich coming from the guy who smugly posted low rates from his home town every day for weeks whilst people the other side of the world were dying in their thousands.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 30681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by eldanielfire »

RodneyRegis wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:41 pm

New Zealand and Australia :lol:
Nz is at the beach mate. Its f**king summer. Remember August? No restrictions, barely any cases?

Where is this tons of data that lockdown reduce spread? Data, not models please. Not 'its common sense', actual data. Comparing previous winters' spread without lockdown, or comparing spread in identical countries without lockdown?

It's simply not possible to have tons of data. The only real comparison is Sweden during lockdown 1.
Every country who locked down last year shows a reduction in cases after so many weeks due to the lag. The data overwhelmingly shows lockdowns reduce spread. It's not rocket science, Virus he humans as a vector for spread. they don't do it by themselves.

Oh and yes there are other factors that decide the ultimate outcome, geography, population and population density, the number of superspreaders, compliance with the guidance, how quickly you control new outbreaks and how you let people travel from one country to another.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 30001
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Ali's Choice »

RodneyRegis wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:44 pm This is a pretty sick line, and preposterous rich coming from the guy who smugly posted low rates from his home town every day for weeks whilst people the other side of the world were dying in their thousands.
I still post daily data from here in Australia, just not on this thread. Whether I do so "smugly" is obviously pretty subjective. Whilst the numbers might be relatively small to you, they are a HUGE deal to us. A few months ago a UK poster requested that I stop doing that on this thread because the low rates annoyed him, and I stopped doing so immediately. This was never pfficially labelled the 'UK covid thread' but it evolved that way.
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 pm
RodneyRegis wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:41 pm

New Zealand and Australia :lol:
Nz is at the beach mate. Its f**king summer. Remember August? No restrictions, barely any cases?

Where is this tons of data that lockdown reduce spread? Data, not models please. Not 'its common sense', actual data. Comparing previous winters' spread without lockdown, or comparing spread in identical countries without lockdown?

It's simply not possible to have tons of data. The only real comparison is Sweden during lockdown 1.
Every country who locked down last year shows a reduction in cases after so many weeks due to the lag. The data overwhelmingly shows lockdowns reduce spread. It's not rocket science, Virus he humans as a vector for spread. they don't do it by themselves.

Oh and yes there are other factors that decide the ultimate outcome, geography, population and population density, the number of superspreaders, compliance with the guidance, how quickly you control new outbreaks and how you let people travel from one country to another.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/peru/


It slows down, it doesn’t “reduce”.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 30681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:38 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 pm
RodneyRegis wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:41 pm

New Zealand and Australia :lol:
Nz is at the beach mate. Its f**king summer. Remember August? No restrictions, barely any cases?

Where is this tons of data that lockdown reduce spread? Data, not models please. Not 'its common sense', actual data. Comparing previous winters' spread without lockdown, or comparing spread in identical countries without lockdown?

It's simply not possible to have tons of data. The only real comparison is Sweden during lockdown 1.
Every country who locked down last year shows a reduction in cases after so many weeks due to the lag. The data overwhelmingly shows lockdowns reduce spread. It's not rocket science, Virus he humans as a vector for spread. they don't do it by themselves.

Oh and yes there are other factors that decide the ultimate outcome, geography, population and population density, the number of superspreaders, compliance with the guidance, how quickly you control new outbreaks and how you let people travel from one country to another.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/peru/


It slows down, it doesn’t “reduce”.

#If you keep slowing downt he spread it will eventually reduce the number of COVID cases Bimbo.
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by RodneyRegis »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 pm
RodneyRegis wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:41 pm

New Zealand and Australia :lol:
Nz is at the beach mate. Its f**king summer. Remember August? No restrictions, barely any cases?

Where is this tons of data that lockdown reduce spread? Data, not models please. Not 'its common sense', actual data. Comparing previous winters' spread without lockdown, or comparing spread in identical countries without lockdown?

It's simply not possible to have tons of data. The only real comparison is Sweden during lockdown 1.
Every country who locked down last year shows a reduction in cases after so many weeks due to the lag. The data overwhelmingly shows lockdowns reduce spread. It's not rocket science, Virus he humans as a vector for spread. they don't do it by themselves.

Oh and yes there are other factors that decide the ultimate outcome, geography, population and population density, the number of superspreaders, compliance with the guidance, how quickly you control new outbreaks and how you let people travel from one country to another.
Common sense right?

I'd say so too, it certainly makes sense.

But there's not tons of data at all, because as you say there are so many other variables. The only way to conclusively prove that they work is to compare to the same situation without lockdown.
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:39 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:38 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 pm
RodneyRegis wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:41 pm

New Zealand and Australia :lol:
Nz is at the beach mate. Its f**king summer. Remember August? No restrictions, barely any cases?

Where is this tons of data that lockdown reduce spread? Data, not models please. Not 'its common sense', actual data. Comparing previous winters' spread without lockdown, or comparing spread in identical countries without lockdown?

It's simply not possible to have tons of data. The only real comparison is Sweden during lockdown 1.
Every country who locked down last year shows a reduction in cases after so many weeks due to the lag. The data overwhelmingly shows lockdowns reduce spread. It's not rocket science, Virus he humans as a vector for spread. they don't do it by themselves.

Oh and yes there are other factors that decide the ultimate outcome, geography, population and population density, the number of superspreaders, compliance with the guidance, how quickly you control new outbreaks and how you let people travel from one country to another.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/peru/


It slows down, it doesn’t “reduce”.

#If you keep slowing downt he spread it will eventually reduce the number of COVID cases Bimbo.


And they’ll accelerate once the successful lockdown is over, see the first weekend in December partying for details.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 30001
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Ali's Choice »

RodneyRegis wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:18 pm Common sense right?

I'd say so too, it certainly makes sense.

But there's not tons of data at all, because as you say there are so many other variables. The only way to conclusively prove that they work is to compare to the same situation without lockdown.
That's great for lockdown sceptics like Bimbo given that will never happen.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 30001
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Ali's Choice »

bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:20 pm And they’ll accelerate once the successful lockdown is over, see the first weekend in December partying for details.
Except for places where they haven't accelerated. Like Melbourne? 700 cases per day turned into two months of zero community transmission because of a long, hard lockdown. As always, you lie and spread misinformation to score points on this chat site.
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:24 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:20 pm And they’ll accelerate once the successful lockdown is over, see the first weekend in December partying for details.
Except for places where they haven't accelerated. Like Melbourne? 700 cases per day turned into two months of zero community transmission because of a long, hard lockdown. As always, you lie and spread misinformation to score points on this chat site.

Yeah, we’ve had 500,000 infected in November not 700 you have no grasp of scale in anyway, the whole world outside of your street is a mystery to you.

places where there isn’t really covid aren’t being discussed .

As always you try and score points from something “different” around the world.


I hope to god you don’t teach anything useful.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 30001
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Ali's Choice »

bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:30 pm Yeah, we’ve had 500,000 infected in November not 700 you have no grasp of scale in anyway, the whole world outside of your street is a mystery to you.

places where there isn’t really covid aren’t being discussed .

As always you try and score points from something “different” around the world.


I hope to god you don’t teach anything useful.
That's the whole point though isn't it? If the UK had locked down like Melbourne, and stayed in strict lockdown for 9 months, you wouldn't be in this position and you personally wouldn't be mocking lockdowns and pretending that they don't work.
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:35 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:30 pm Yeah, we’ve had 500,000 infected in November not 700 you have no grasp of scale in anyway, the whole world outside of your street is a mystery to you.

places where there isn’t really covid aren’t being discussed .

As always you try and score points from something “different” around the world.


I hope to god you don’t teach anything useful.
That's the whole point though isn't it? If the UK had locked down like Melbourne, and stayed in strict lockdown for 9 months, you wouldn't be in this position and you personally wouldn't be mocking lockdowns and pretending that they don't work.

I agree if we had no covid and locked down in 2019 we’d only have huge amounts of cancer , suicide and other non covid deaths to contend with.


I am sure your unaware that absolutely no one thinks a 9 month lockdown is in anyway feasible either socially or financially but you. I imagine you’ve little idea how a western economy actually works.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 30001
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Ali's Choice »

bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:40 pm I am sure your unaware that absolutely no one thinks a 9 month lockdown is in anyway feasible either socially or financially but you. I imagine you’ve little idea how a western economy actually works.
Victoria's economy is surging and Australia's economy is basically back to pre-COVID levels. Suicides were down in 2020 compared to 2019 and 2018. As always, you get absolutely everything wrong whilst thinking you're the smartest person on this thread. You are clueless.
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:43 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:40 pm I am sure your unaware that absolutely no one thinks a 9 month lockdown is in anyway feasible either socially or financially but you. I imagine you’ve little idea how a western economy actually works.
Victoria's economy is surging and Australia's economy is basically back to pre-COVID levels. Suicides were down in 2020 compared to 2019 and 2018. As always, you get absolutely everything wrong whilst thinking you're the smartest person on this thread. You are clueless.


Victoria didn’t lockdown for 9 months though did it you moron.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 30001
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Ali's Choice »

bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:56 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:43 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:40 pm I am sure your unaware that absolutely no one thinks a 9 month lockdown is in anyway feasible either socially or financially but you. I imagine you’ve little idea how a western economy actually works.
Victoria's economy is surging and Australia's economy is basically back to pre-COVID levels. Suicides were down in 2020 compared to 2019 and 2018. As always, you get absolutely everything wrong whilst thinking you're the smartest person on this thread. You are clueless.


Victoria didn’t lockdown for 9 months though did it you moron.
They pretty much did. From March to the end of the year with a brief window of freedom in the middle. You're an idiot. Absolutely clueless, but you think you know everything. Literally everything you post on this forum is wrong. From Brexit, to COVID-19 to American politics, you get everything wrong, yet you keep plugging away with your contrarian style of trolling. If the consensus is the sky is blue, you'll make 70,000 posts arguing that it is green.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 30681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by eldanielfire »

RodneyRegis wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:18 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 pm
RodneyRegis wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:41 pm

New Zealand and Australia :lol:
Nz is at the beach mate. Its f**king summer. Remember August? No restrictions, barely any cases?

Where is this tons of data that lockdown reduce spread? Data, not models please. Not 'its common sense', actual data. Comparing previous winters' spread without lockdown, or comparing spread in identical countries without lockdown?

It's simply not possible to have tons of data. The only real comparison is Sweden during lockdown 1.
Every country who locked down last year shows a reduction in cases after so many weeks due to the lag. The data overwhelmingly shows lockdowns reduce spread. It's not rocket science, Virus he humans as a vector for spread. they don't do it by themselves.

Oh and yes there are other factors that decide the ultimate outcome, geography, population and population density, the number of superspreaders, compliance with the guidance, how quickly you control new outbreaks and how you let people travel from one country to another.
Common sense right?

I'd say so too, it certainly makes sense.

But there's not tons of data at all, because as you say there are so many other variables. The only way to conclusively prove that they work is to compare to the same situation without lockdown.
Actually we can see all sorts of variables all over European countries and yet in all cases lockdowns reduced the spread of the virus. That only compounds the fact lockdowns do appear to work.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 30681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:20 pm


And they’ll accelerate once the successful lockdown is over, see the first weekend in December partying for details.
Yes, which onlys hows lockdowns do reduce the spread of the virus given they transmitted more slowly in lockdowns. Reducing spread is unquestionably linked to slowing down the spread of the virus.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 40504
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Lockdowns need to be early and strict. UK government was always late and mostly wishy washy

BTW

Bimbot is a tosser
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:01 am
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:56 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:43 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:40 pm I am sure your unaware that absolutely no one thinks a 9 month lockdown is in anyway feasible either socially or financially but you. I imagine you’ve little idea how a western economy actually works.
Victoria's economy is surging and Australia's economy is basically back to pre-COVID levels. Suicides were down in 2020 compared to 2019 and 2018. As always, you get absolutely everything wrong whilst thinking you're the smartest person on this thread. You are clueless.


Victoria didn’t lockdown for 9 months though did it you moron.
They pretty much did. From March to the end of the year with a brief window of freedom in the middle. You're an idiot. Absolutely clueless, but you think you know everything. Literally everything you post on this forum is wrong. From Brexit, to COVID-19 to American politics, you get everything wrong, yet you keep plugging away with your contrarian style of trolling. If the consensus is the sky is blue, you'll make 70,000 posts arguing that it is green.

They didn’t lockdown for 9 Months. You used a lie as an example.

Literally used a lie and have the brass neck to say other posters are wrong,

You may not have noticed , but I was right regarding brexit. And I have posted nothing purporting to be fact on American politics.

I seriously worry you live in an alternate universe in your tiny remote village environment, having little or no understanding of the rest of Australia let alone he actual 7 billion person inhabited world.

I’ll keep plugging away laughing at you though, and your little views from nowhere,
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:24 am
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:20 pm


And they’ll accelerate once the successful lockdown is over, see the first weekend in December partying for details.
Yes, which onlys hows lockdowns do reduce the spread of the virus given they transmitted more slowly in lockdowns. Reducing spread is unquestionably linked to slowing down the spread of the virus.

Except in November.
User avatar
JB1981
Posts: 7200
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:14 am
Location: NZ

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by JB1981 »

Lockdowns slow the spread of the virus and slowing the spread enough reduces cases numbers. This has been shown across the world.

There are variables such as case numbers before locking down, severity of lockdown and lockdown adherence etc, but lockdowns do work from a slowing spread/eventually reducing cases perspective.

I am not sure how/why any of this is being disputed but there could probably be an interesting thesis on psychology from it.
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

JB1981 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:47 am Lockdowns slow the spread of the virus and slowing the spread enough reduces cases numbers. This has been shown across the world.

There are variables such as case numbers before locking down, severity of lockdown and lockdown adherence etc, but lockdowns do work from a slowing spread/eventually reducing cases perspective.

I am not sure how/why any of this is being disputed but there could probably be an interesting thesis on psychology from it.


You’re aware that there’s some countries with more and strict lockdowns that have suffered far more infections than countries that haven’t locked down as long and as hard right ?
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Anyway, here the UK Home Secretary getting the example rule wrong at the same time as declaring her law changes “clear”

https://twitter.com/TomRHickman/status/ ... 2189286400


For the amazing record they’ve changed the laws regarding covid restrictions 64 times in 9 months.
User avatar
JB1981
Posts: 7200
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:14 am
Location: NZ

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by JB1981 »

bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:49 am
JB1981 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:47 am Lockdowns slow the spread of the virus and slowing the spread enough reduces cases numbers. This has been shown across the world.

There are variables such as case numbers before locking down, severity of lockdown and lockdown adherence etc, but lockdowns do work from a slowing spread/eventually reducing cases perspective.

I am not sure how/why any of this is being disputed but there could probably be an interesting thesis on psychology from it.


You’re aware that there’s some countries with more and strict lockdowns that have suffered far more infections than countries that haven’t locked down as long and as hard right ?
Yes, but there are variables. Maybe the shorter or less stringent lockdowns came earlier before as many cases were seeded in the community or were adhered to better. The strictest lockdown in the world is only rules on paper if people don’t adhere.
iarmhiman
Posts: 41753
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by iarmhiman »

Looks like the cases are dropping here again which is good news.

Hospitalisations and ICU though has a 2 week lag and we're close to capacity.

Squeeky bum time.
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 5917
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

badmannotinjapan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:32 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:44 am
badmannotinjapan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:23 am f**king joke for 1%.
Yeah man, Fuck that 1%

:|
Have you got a cure for the flu? Cancer? The common cold Dr Faucci?
So you won't be needing the Vaccine then?
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 30681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:33 am
eldanielfire wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:24 am
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:20 pm


And they’ll accelerate once the successful lockdown is over, see the first weekend in December partying for details.
Yes, which onlys hows lockdowns do reduce the spread of the virus given they transmitted more slowly in lockdowns. Reducing spread is unquestionably linked to slowing down the spread of the virus.

Except in November.
But it did start to drop the numbers for December until restrictions were lifted.
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:04 am
bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:33 am
eldanielfire wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:24 am
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:20 pm


And they’ll accelerate once the successful lockdown is over, see the first weekend in December partying for details.
Yes, which onlys hows lockdowns do reduce the spread of the virus given they transmitted more slowly in lockdowns. Reducing spread is unquestionably linked to slowing down the spread of the virus.

Except in November.
But it did start to drop the numbers for December until restrictions were lifted.

And the stunning success of the “firebreak” in Wales where it didn’t.
quarter2four
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:20 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by quarter2four »

message #2527204 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:33 pm
quarter2four wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:27 pm
danny_fitz wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:38 pm
CM11 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:06 pm We peaked nearly a week ago. Half the cases we reported in the last seven days were actually from the previous week because our reporting system creaked and broke over the Christmas period.

For example, we reported 12k cases in the last two days despite only 8k testing positive in that period.
My folks live in a tiny village of about 30 people in West Clare, the pandemic had kind of passed them by up until Christmas when their neighbours had all their kids, grandkids and inlaws around for the holidays. Cue the whole house getting infected and my 70+ year old parents hiding.
Was a huge mistake allowing people to travel for Christmas. People should have been told to stay with their household. Maybe an exception made for people living on their own.
People would have gone anyway - it's christmas.
Nah, most people comply with the regulations. The 10% who don't are very vocal so it seems like there is more of them.
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

quarter2four wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:42 am
message #2527204 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:33 pm
quarter2four wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:27 pm
danny_fitz wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:38 pm
CM11 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:06 pm We peaked nearly a week ago. Half the cases we reported in the last seven days were actually from the previous week because our reporting system creaked and broke over the Christmas period.

For example, we reported 12k cases in the last two days despite only 8k testing positive in that period.
My folks live in a tiny village of about 30 people in West Clare, the pandemic had kind of passed them by up until Christmas when their neighbours had all their kids, grandkids and inlaws around for the holidays. Cue the whole house getting infected and my 70+ year old parents hiding.
Was a huge mistake allowing people to travel for Christmas. People should have been told to stay with their household. Maybe an exception made for people living on their own.
People would have gone anyway - it's christmas.
Nah, most people comply with the regulations. The 10% who don't are very vocal so it seems like there is more of them.

No, most people say they will comply and then won’t. Even people who have the virus are lying about self isolation.
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 16605
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Winnie »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:01 am
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:56 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:43 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:40 pm I am sure your unaware that absolutely no one thinks a 9 month lockdown is in anyway feasible either socially or financially but you. I imagine you’ve little idea how a western economy actually works.
Victoria's economy is surging and Australia's economy is basically back to pre-COVID levels. Suicides were down in 2020 compared to 2019 and 2018. As always, you get absolutely everything wrong whilst thinking you're the smartest person on this thread. You are clueless.


Victoria didn’t lockdown for 9 months though did it you moron.
If the consensus is the sky is blue, you'll make 70,000 posts arguing that it is green.
:lol: :lol:
That’s a fair synopsis
He has you bang to rights there bimbo
Post Reply