The OFFICIAL PR watch thread TM PTY LTD

All things Rugby
fraz

The OFFICIAL PR watch thread TM PTY LTD

Post by fraz »

My fiancée told me today that she wants to buy me a watch as a wedding present so we went out and looked at a few. I havent worn one regularly since I got my first mobile phone about 16 years ago but have often thought about it. I would like something that will look nice if worn with formal duds but nothing too flashy for every day use. I think I'd like a metal band.

We looked at some Tissot watches that seemed quite nice. I don't really want her to spend any more than say $800 (it's my money too) and most of the more expensive ones we saw looked like they belonged to persian carpet salesmen anyway.

I just don't like going into purchases blind so thought I'd enlist the bored's brain trust.

Any important questions to ask before buying a watch? Brands to steer clear of? Things to look out for etc.?
Last edited by fraz on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edinburgh01

Re: Who knows stuff about watches?

Post by Edinburgh01 »

fraz wrote:My fiancée told me today that she wants to buy me a watch as a wedding present so we went out and looked at a few. I havent worn one regularly since I got my first mobile phone about 16 years ago but have often thought about it. I would like something that will look nice if worn with formal duds but nothing too flashy for every day use. I think I'd like a metal band.

We looked at some Tissot watches that seemed quite nice. I don't really want her to spend any more than say $600 (it's my money too) and most of the more expensive ones we saw looked like they belonged to persian carpet salesmen anyway.

I just don't like going into purchases blind so thought I'd enlist the bored's brain trust.

Any important questions to ask before buying a watch? Brands to steer clear of? Things to look out for etc.?
Bump this for BlackMac if he does not pick it up, he is a bt of a collector.

There is a post of is on the recent purchase thread where he talks about some nice but reasoanably priced watches.

I have a Tissot btw.
Poshprop

Post by Poshprop »

About 10 years ago I gave myself a budget of about £1k to buy a watch. Looked at Omegas and Tags and plumped for a Tissot that was half the price. No difference in weight and just suited me better. Watch still going strong and wear it everyday and even me who is clumsy bastard has damaged it. So a :thumbup: from me on Tissot
globus

Post by globus »

henry

Post by henry »

I would recommend Christopher Ward: http://www.christopherward.co.uk

Particularly their dress/classic line.
Crash_12

Post by Crash_12 »

henry wrote:I would recommend Christopher Ward: http://www.christopherward.co.uk

Flock Quinnell, do you ride a lambretta as well?
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Citizen doesn't have the same prestige but they actually make the movements for some of the worlds finest watches like Rolex and Cartier. So in truth you won't find a better timepiece for the money regardless of what anyone else has to say on the subject.
henry

Post by henry »

Crash_12 wrote:
henry wrote:I would recommend Christopher Ward: http://www.christopherward.co.uk

Flock Quinnell, do you ride a lambretta as well?
I do not, sir. And you'd do well not to address me in such terms again.
Lobby

Post by Lobby »

I've recently bought a Marine Automatic from Stowa. Absolutely stunning watch, hand made to a very high quality and classically elegant design. For the money (about 600 Euros all in) its tremendous value. Definitely recommended

davidswiss

Post by davidswiss »

If you like chronographs look for a 2nd hand Speedmaster professional or one of its automatic brothers. Looks good, style never dates and easy to read.
If you want a time only then old military watches are usually easy to read, not overpriced and there are plenty of them You can get good old Hamilton and Smiths watches that will last for years, keep good time and are pretty robust. Depends what you want. Seiko have a good reputation and their range is enormous so $800 (about £540??) should get you something decent new.
Problem for me with most modern watches is that they're built for the far eastern market. Massive and blingy.
henry

Post by henry »

Lobby wrote:I've recently bought a Marine Automatic from Stowa. Absolutely stunning watch, hand made to a very high quality and classically elegant design. For the money (about 600 Euros all in) its tremendous value. Definitely recommended

:thumbup:

That is a very nice watch. Very, very nice. I am sorely tempted now.
Last edited by henry on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry

Post by henry »

If you want a Lambretta rider's watch, I'd recommend: http://www.larssonandjennings.com/

Though, to be fair, I was rather taken by their CM Black watch when I saw it.
globus

Post by globus »

You could go mad.

Hamilton Ventura

I've a very nice Hamilton dress watch but it's given up the ghost so I'm having a trundle around.

I shall buy a bottom end Apple watch just for the fun.

Get thee a hunter with fob and chain to go on that new waistcoat you might buy. My late great granddad's is still going strong.
globus

Post by globus »

henry wrote:
Lobby wrote:I've recently bought a Marine Automatic from Stowa. Absolutely stunning watch, hand made to a very high quality and classically elegant design. For the money (about 600 Euros all in) its tremendous value. Definitely recommended

I agree. Does all it needs to do.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Gospel wrote:Citizen doesn't have the same prestige but they actually make the movements for some of the worlds finest watches like Rolex and Cartier. So in truth you won't find a better timepiece for the money regardless of what anyone else has to say on the subject.
Yeah great - until the watch breaks!! :x
My Eco-Drive is only 9 years old and Citizen no longer stock parts for it, so refuse to fix it.

fudge 'em! I just bought a jolly nice Tissot instead:

henry

Post by henry »

I've one of these. Does exactly what it needs to in an attractive package: http://www.christopherward.co.uk/watche ... k-mk2.html
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

henry wrote:

Not being a dick, but that does nothing for me. Each to his own.

I have always wanted a Tag Heuer Monaco. Bit too tight to splash out.

Lobby

Post by Lobby »

henry wrote:

Go for it. You won't be disappointed. The detailing is superb, including the blued steel hands.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

henry wrote:I've one of these. Does exactly what it needs to in an attractive package: http://www.christopherward.co.uk/watche ... k-mk2.html
Very nice - reasonable price too.
Openside

Post by Openside »

fraz wrote:My fiancée told me today that she wants to buy me a watch as a wedding present so we went out and looked at a few. I havent worn one regularly since I got my first mobile phone about 16 years ago but have often thought about it. I would like something that will look nice if worn with formal duds but nothing too flashy for every day use. I think I'd like a metal band.

We looked at some Tissot watches that seemed quite nice. I don't really want her to spend any more than say $800 (it's my money too) and most of the more expensive ones we saw looked like they belonged to persian carpet salesmen anyway.

My wife bought me a TAG I am very happy with it and wear it in preference to an Omega Seamaster.
globus

Post by globus »

I bought quite a few "Tag Heuers" to give to relatives for fun. Usually from Stanley market or some such.

I know that one of my nephew's is still going strong after about 8 years. The rest of them are not!
Openside

Post by Openside »

globus wrote:You could go mad.

Hamilton Ventura

I've a very nice Hamilton dress watch but it's given up the ghost so I'm having a trundle around.

I shall buy a bottom end Apple watch just for the fun.

Get thee a hunter with fob and chain to go on that new waistcoat you might buy. My late great granddad's is still going strong.

I have a beautiful gold hunter watch that my great grandfather was given on retiring as headmaster of Musselburgh. Unfortunately it doesn't have a chain and I haven't been able to find one to match it. I really fancy wearing it with a waistcoat.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Openside wrote:

My wife bought me a TAG I am very happy with it and wear it in preference to an Omega Seamaster.
Bought a tag in 2001 or there abouts. Still wearing it and it still works well. I'm looking for another watch, ideally with a square face but not sure about the current range of tags. Would be nice to go for something else a bit different.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Mickey Mouse points at the time on my watch :smug:

Get a Baume et Mercier :thumbup:
henry

Post by henry »

LandOTurk wrote:
henry wrote:I've one of these. Does exactly what it needs to in an attractive package: http://www.christopherward.co.uk/watche ... k-mk2.html
Very nice - reasonable price too.
I thought it was the nicest (affordable) watch I'd seen until I saw that Marine Automatic from Stowa.
Tim13

Post by Tim13 »

I have one of these and its a lovely watch (t'other half bought it for me), and it didnt cost the earth either...

Crash_12

Post by Crash_12 »

Lobby wrote:
henry wrote:

Go for it. You won't be disappointed. The detailing is superb, including the blued steel hands.
An early Christams present last year. I can't imagine what I'll buy next as it's just splendid.

bobbity

Post by bobbity »

That's lovely crash.

Another option or two depending on tastes.

Some of the Smith's watches from timefactors are really nice - http://www.timefactors.com/smiths.htm
As are the Speedbirds - http://www.timefactors.com/speedbird.htm

Manchester Watch Works successfully funded production of their Tatoskok diver through kickstarter, think you can still order though - http://www.manchesterwatchworks.com/index.html

Huldra diver from Aevig - http://aevig.com/product-category/huldra-retro-diver/

I've got the quartz Corvid on pre-order from Aevig.
Crash_12

Post by Crash_12 »

Cheers.

I ordered that Corvid in stealth black after you posted it, mainly to wear to work and biking. Do they all come with the green strap?
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

Crash_12 wrote:Cheers.

I ordered that Corvid in stealth black after you posted it, mainly to wear to work and biking. Do they all come with the green strap?

Think it varies depending on what you ordered. Think the brushed stainless/cream or lumi faces come with lighter natos. The pvd/black face is the only one they have photographs rather than renders of. Assume we'll both be getting dark green natos, but I've already ordered a dark green canvas (from timefactors) for it.

Really looking forward to mine arriving now, similar use intended as yours. Although I did buy and modify a Vostok Amphibia to wear as a tool diver in the meantime...
slick

Post by slick »

Oh yes, really like this
globus

Post by globus »

I've always liked Longines. I've a dress watch that is very like this. (It's about 30 years old now.)

I've repeated myself. Getting senile.
Last edited by globus on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Tim13 wrote:I have one of these and its a lovely watch (t'other half bought it for me), and it didnt cost the earth either...

Very nice watches, have been eyeing up the Nabucco but its probably a little more than I want to pay.

Missus has a Tango that has lasted for ever.
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

ZappaMan wrote:Mickey Mouse points at the time on my watch :smug:

Get a Baume et Mercier :thumbup:
I think I posted it before but I got one of these bad boys

It is surprisingly difficult to find a plain watch which doesn't have that stupid date indicator. If its really that important to me to know the date, I already do. Sometimes I even know what date it is for no reason at all.
Last Line

Post by Last Line »

Get in touch with your inner self, the sundial watch from Fossil

globus

Post by globus »

B & M. Lovely. I've got my uncles'. It's a good thing to outlive relatives.

Nice and plain. There are a few of them that fetch £20k. Mine's not up in that region.
globus

Post by globus »

Last Line wrote:Get in touch with your inner self, the sundial watch from Fossil

How big is the manual?
Torquemada 1420

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

I have a T-Touch. Have a few friends who had them too. I bought it because I hate any notion of having Big Ben on my wrist: a sensible size face and the titanium case make it lightweight.

Warning: they are not very reliable. All 4 owners I know (incl I) have had to send back at one time or another for faults. Mainly the touch screen. Oh: and Tissot are very Swiss i.e. arrogant, unaccountable c**ts who'll take forever to do anything. They had mine for 4 months this time just to replace the strap.
toweliechaos

Post by toweliechaos »

globus wrote:I've always liked Longines. I've a dress watch that is very like this. (It's about 30 years old now.)
Man after my own heart. I've been wanting one of these in silver for some time.

The Mondaine Swiss railway watch is cheap enough but looks lovely for every day wear:

And also this bad boy, the Manometro:

globus

Post by globus »

Torq wrote:They had mine for 4 months this time just to replace the strap.
Tell me about it. I sent my Rolex off to Switzerland for a "service". It came back eons later and the back of the oyster case had a kind of turquoise painted film on it. I was moaning to them after about a month but they told me it was correctly to get it back to "chronometer" status. It had been keeping perfect time.

No explanation of the paint film. It wore off after a year but I never got an explanation, despite asking.