Twist In The Barani

All things Rugby
Big Nipper

Re: Twist of the Wrist

Post by Big Nipper »

BokJock wrote:
globus wrote: No point. You've already made up your mind about it.

Let it go. I've other things to do.
I have a completely open mind - I think it is really cool that you made the first bungee jump in recorded history.

It is a fascinating story that I, for one, would love to hear more about.
I would also love to hear some more about this amazing feat
globus

Post by globus »

I've become too disillusioned to bother. Kindly note I'm elderly and have done an awful lot in my life.

I wanted to go on the flying trapeze at a very young age (dad was a gymnast) but the circus wouldn't let me. So they rigged up a tightrope only six foot off the ground and offered me the chance to cross it.

Gave me a pole for balance. I ran across it. Left the pole and went up and down the wire in my socks.

I then did a back somersault off the end to the ground. My dad was so proud. He'd taught me to do those. And flick flacks.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

globus wrote:I've become too disillusioned to bother. Kindly note I'm elderly and have done an awful lot in my life.

I wanted to go on the flying trapeze at a very young age (dad was a gymnast) but the circus wouldn't let me. So they rigged up a tightrope only six foot off the ground and offered me the chance to cross it.

Gave me a pole for balance. I ran across it. Left the pole and went up and down the wire in my socks.

I then did a back somersault off the end to the ground. My dad was so proud. He'd taught me to do those. And flick flacks.
That's nice.

So this bungee jump, it sounded very exciting. I know the bridge well having lived in Clifton during my student days.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Pretty impressive, especially the back flip, but loads of people had done the trapeze before you.

The more noteworthy story is the bungee jump as you would have been the first. it is literally making history.

Give us a bit of detail on how you rigged up the cord, was it tricky to get the weight/height calculation right. What material did you use for the cord?
globus

Post by globus »

danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:I've become too disillusioned to bother. Kindly note I'm elderly and have done an awful lot in my life.

That's nice.

So this bungee jump, it sounded very exciting. I know the bridge well having lived in Clifton during my student days.
The trouble is that some want video footage or pics. I have nothing but the memory.

I got up to an awful lot of mischief as a child then as a student.

We know it was you, "globus" was the usual reprimand in the deputy headmaster's study.

"Who me?" "Yes".

Mr Beck (Granddad) loved me to bits. He always told me off with a bit of a grin.

He was tickled pink with my signs to walk on the hallowed turf between the music rooms and the school.
globus

Post by globus »

BokJock wrote:Pretty impressive, especially the back flip, but loads of people had done the trapeze before you.

The more noteworthy story is the bungee jump as you would have been the first. it is literally making history.

Give us a bit of detail on how you rigged up the cord, was it tricky to get the weight/height calculation right. What material did you use for the cord?
Far too technical for me. It was a very long while ago. Others did all that stuff. One of them was a chap who climbed the Old Man of Hoy.
eugenefraxby

Post by eugenefraxby »

globus wrote:
BokJock wrote:Pretty impressive, especially the back flip, but loads of people had done the trapeze before you.

Far too technical for me. It was a very long while ago. Others did all that stuff. One of them was a chap who climbed the Old Man of Hoy.
Strange. No mention of our esteemed vendor of pork pies....
“ The first modern bungee jumps were made on 1 April 1979 from the 250-foot (76 m) Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol, by David Kirke, and Simon Keeling,[10] members of the Oxford University Dangerous Sports Club, and Geoff Tabin,[11] a professional climber who tied the ropes for the jump.[12] ”
Globus edited ending:
‘Neville Southall took notes and latterly claimed to have done the stunt on an invention from the future called The Internet’
Last edited by eugenefraxby on Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

globus wrote:

Fair enough, how many of you jumped? where you the first to go over the edge.

It must have been terrifying. Was it a clandestine thing or where they doing organized jumps at that stage?
inactionman

Re: Twist In The Tale

Post by inactionman »

We've been investigating the use of agent bots at work to handle routine correspondence - the things that parse incoming emails and generate some sort of response that appears to be generated by human.

The issue is a lot of them will digress onto tangential subjects as they misinterpret meaning and sentiment in emails, and the conversations get ever weirder.

I just thought I'd share that.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

Man, they tied a bunch of elastic bands together and chucked him over the side. It's a fokon miracle he survived the fall.
Imagine how these poor fellas felt after everything they went through to rid themselves of his company and he just got up at the end with the old eeeehaaaw and a thumbs up.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

globus wrote:

Maybe I am a bit risk adverse but if I was going to jump off a suspension bridge attached to a large home made rubber band for the first time in recorded history I would be quite keen to be fully aware of the technical aspects of the venture rather then leaving it to 'others'.

After your jump, how did you get back to safety? Did you have a boat below in the Avon that you were lowered into or did you mates haul you back up to the bridge?
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

Look at the bright side boets. At least we are now closer in answering the question of when he was in Uni.
eugenefraxby

Post by eugenefraxby »

Average Joe wrote:Look at the bright side boets. At least we are now closer in answering the question of when he was in Uni.
According to the Maths his jump took place in or around 1965. A full 14 years before the first ever jump.
It’s unadulterated lies.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:In an amusing start to the day, my windows background has been updated to be a photo of Clifton suspension bridge, hot air balloons and the caption “if someone around here tells you that you’re full of hot air...”.

It made me miss Globus and his fanciful tales.
Has he been banned?
Not as far as I'm aware!
So, that bungee jump, talk us through it?
No point. You've already made up your mind about it.

Let it go. I've other things to do.
This is quite a fantastic claim though that only one person is known to have pulled off without being arrested and very few have achieved at all. if your claim is true then why are you surprised that people want more information? What time of day, what time of year, how did you actually do it?

I am fully prepared to believe your claim but your sloepy shoulders attitude to any questions makes it look like you are avoiding the questions as you don't have the answers. Give us some more information I am genuinely interested, if it is made up wholesale at least spin us a good yarn. This halfway house is terribly disappointing from such a raconteur as yourself
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

eugenefraxby wrote:
Average Joe wrote:Look at the bright side boets. At least we are now closer in answering the question of when he was in Uni.
According to the Maths his jump took place in or around 1965. A full 14 years before the first ever jump.
It’s unadulterated lies.
Also a full 14 years after the Goon show first aired which he wrote gags for.
globus

Post by globus »

I remain stoically silent. You are chasing your tails. I'm running my tales.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

globus wrote:I remain stoically silent. .
Indeed. 52,464 times.
globus

Post by globus »

happyhooker wrote:
globus wrote:I remain stoically silent. .
Indeed. 52,464 times.
It's called "relentless". And some on here might relelent less.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

globus wrote:I remain stoically silent.
More's the pity, from what little we know it sounds like it would have been a cracking adventure.

Your life has truly been incredible.
globus

Post by globus »

BokJock wrote:
More's the pity, from what little we know it sounds like it would have been a cracking adventure.

I can only hope others will have the same cracking time.

I regret little. My dad's philosophy was have a bash at everything.

In my dotage I'm trying to pass that on to my grand kiddiwinks, but it's not the world I grew up in.

It's all a bit "safety first" now. Well. I forgot about that when I shot off a tramopline trying to do a barani.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

globus wrote:
BokJock wrote:

In my dotage I'm trying to pass that on to my grand kiddiwinks, but it's not the world I grew up in.

It's all a bit "safety first" now. Well. I forgot about that when I shot off a tramopline trying to do a barani.
safety first nonsense indeed - gone are the days when uni students would fling themselves illegally off a bridge tied to a springy rope that their mates told them would probably be safe.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

globus wrote:
BokJock wrote:

Which year did you take part in University Challenge again? And when did you represent England at u19 level? Care to post some team sheats from that memorable day?
Frodder

Re: Twist In The Barani

Post by Frodder »

Loving the changes in title of the thread
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Frodder wrote:Loving the changes in title of the thread
I think we are not far off from a . title topic again

:lol:
globus

Post by globus »

Big Nipper wrote:
globus wrote:
BokJock wrote:

Which year did you take part in University Challenge again? And when did you represent England at u19 level? Care to post some team sheats from that memorable day?
I'm not taking part in "liars challenge" thanks. If you don't believe me, live with it.

Ask me about the Rugby Town Clock and what appeared in the papers. It's much more interesting that trying to bait me. It won't work. I'm an "old soldier" (not in the military sense).
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Before we get to the Rugby Town Clock, which I am sure we all agree is very fascinating topic in itself, can we just close off the bungee jumping narrative.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:Before we get to the Rugby Town Clock, which I am sure we all agree is very fascinating topic in itself, can we just close off the bungee jumping narrative.
You would think the worlds first bungee jump would get a mention in the Bristol Evening Post.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

danny_fitz wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:Before we get to the Rugby Town Clock, which I am sure we all agree is very fascinating topic in itself, can we just close off the bungee jumping narrative.
You would think the worlds first bungee jump would get a mention in the Bristol Evening Post.
We know it was you, "globus" was the usual reprimand in the deputy headmaster's study.
Now if we could only find some relatives of the old deputy headmaster I'm sure we could get the evidence we need
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

I can't believe a Cambridge man would find it palatable that a bunch of Oxford chancers were getting the credit he so rightfully desrves
globus

Post by globus »

danny_fitz wrote:
We scarpered fast. There was nothing about "first" about it.

No publicity was thought about. Just doing it. That's the buzz. Just like your first parachute jump.

Got a nice tale about the wing walking off Sibson. Not me but the gals who raised a whole load of money for my charity (Diabetes UK) by doing it.

Tale can come along if anyone is interested. It's quite funny.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

"Here chewing your tail is joy"
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Well that checks out really, you certainly aren't one to toot your own horn (at the actual time of any of your exploits). There seems to be a distinct lack of contemporary evidence or reporting of any of your daring deeds.

The only possible explanation for this is your unwavering humility and your strict adherence to public anonymity.
globus

Post by globus »

AND-y wrote:"Here chewing your tail is joy"
Not familiar with that! There's something new everyday.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

No publicity was thought about. Just doing it. That's the buzz. Just like your first parachute jump.

Got a nice tale about the wing walking off Sibson. Not me but the gals who raised a whole load of money for my charity (Diabetes UK) by doing it.

Was this stunt carried out at night then?

Also, how did you safely get back to ground after your jump?
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Was this stunt carried out at night then?

Also, how did you safely get back to ground after your jump?
He has already said the technical stuff wasn't his concern...
globus

Post by globus »

BokJock wrote:Well that checks out really, you certainly aren't one to toot your own horn (at the actual time of any of your exploits). There seems to be a distinct lack of contemporary evidence or reporting of any of your daring deeds.

The only possible explanation for this is your unwavering humility and your strict adherence to public anonymity.
But you live in the modern world where people take "selfies" etc. We had valve televisions for goodness' sake.

"Humility" is not something I would really be described at as a attribute for the friends around me. They just enjoy the company. And have a good laugh, often at my expense.

As a result, the Management and I are popular around here. Apart from a few. But they got really hacked off when I ....... We shall leave it there.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Fair enough Globby but...

You and your mates did the worlds first ever bungee jump off the Clifton Suspension Bridge - and not a single one of you have let it slip these past 55 years, except to mention it in passing on a rugby forum.

What you guys did on that day was truly amazing and you deserve to be celebrated for it, it is unfair that David Kirke and Simon Keeling are claiming what should rightfully be your limelight.
globus

Post by globus »

BokJock wrote:Fair enough Globby but...

You and your mates did the worlds first ever bungee jump off the Clifton Suspension Bridge - and not a single one of you have let it slip these past 55 years, except to mention it in passing on a rugby forum.

What you guys did on that day was truly amazing and you deserve to be celebrated for it, it is unfair that David Kirke and Simon Keeling are claiming what should rightfully be your limelight.
I'm not sure it was the first, so not claiming that. There was a young company of lads who started doing these things. I just thought it a bit of a whizz.

I cannot even get the dates from the computer or memory.

But, no matter. If posters don't believe me, I shall still sleep comfortably.

Students did lots of mad things in those days.

I was not involved in the car that appeared on the top of the Senate House in Cambridge. But I know who they were.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

globus wrote:

I'm not sure it was the first, so not claiming that. There was a young company of lads who started doing these things. I just thought it a bit of a whizz.

I was not involved in the car that appeared on the top of the Senate House in Cambridge. But I know who they were.
When were you at Uni? If it was before 1979 then you were the first...
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

globus wrote:

Were you still a student in your 30's then?