The Running Thread

All things Rugby
EverReady

The Running Thread

Post by EverReady »

Can't see one. Just started running and looking for a few tips. We can share them here and diet and maybe pics of us all sweaty. So lost a bit of weight and decided to see if my dodgy knees can now do running and they can- sort of. I currently do the same route which is 3.67 miles and has 160ft elevation. Basically it is a mile on tarmac path then into a forest which has loose stone and muck, up a steep hill along the spine and then down and up a steep but again and down and back out to a mile on the path. I am doing it in 33 mins or 29 for the 5km. So a few questions:

1. I can run for just over a mile and need to walk then for 15 secs. How quick does the running without stopping come?
2. Knees are sore afterwards. Any advice. Not excruciating just sore for a few hours. I am wearing Salomon Speedcross 4 trail runners as once in the forest and up the hills it is very slippy. Maybe not suitable for the pavement parts? Fücked if I am changing runners on the short run though.
Nolanator

Re: The Running Thread

Post by Nolanator »

Use metric, you heathen.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Ran a marathon on Saturday with 700m elevation in 30 degrees towards the end. Was fooked. Your knees will hurt because they're not used to the impact (unless you mean the skin on the front which means you need softer carpets) so very gradually increase distance and intensity.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I am going to run that after Easter. Nols in metric it is rounded up to 3.7 miles
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

walk the pavement bits and the downhill bits.

dont skimp on decent running shoes.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

EverReady wrote:How quick does the running without stopping come?
Depends on the person, but I reckon about 4-5 weeks steady running and you should be able to run the whole 3.6 miles (except maybe the really steep, slippery bits)
assfly

Post by assfly »

EverReady wrote: 1. I can run for just over a mile and need to walk then for 15 secs. How quick does the running without stopping come?
This is a good training technique. Monitor it and slowly increase the time between running and walking. You'll notice the difference very soon. Perhaps set yourself a 5km race as a target to run without stopping.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

ukjim wrote:
This might be an issue for ER: the first mile requires good road-running shoes, then he moves into an area where trail shoes might be better. His choice will also impact on his knees. :uhoh:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Go do a Parkrun, if you're getting into building your running base. They great.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Thanks lads. I already run the steep bits. Quite like the trail bit. Did years ago as well- was the only time I was likely to break into a jog
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Sandstorm wrote:
ukjim wrote:
This might be an issue for ER: the first mile requires good road-running shoes, then he moves into an area where trail shoes might be better. His choice will also impact on his knees. :uhoh:
Maybe there is a hybrid job out there. I'll research as that run is a nice one and near the house so I bring the dog
assfly

Post by assfly »

I wouldn't over-emphasise on the shoes. Just find something comfortable and focus on your technique and strength.

Our ancestors spent thousands and thousands of years running without the help of running shoes.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

EverReady wrote:Can't see one. Just started running and looking for a few tips. We can share them here and diet and maybe pics of us all sweaty. So lost a bit of weight and decided to see if my dodgy knees can now do running and they can- sort of. I currently do the same route which is 3.67 miles and has 160ft elevation. Basically it is a mile on tarmac path then into a forest which has loose stone and muck, up a steep hill along the spine and then down and up a steep but again and down and back out to a mile on the path. I am doing it in 33 mins or 29 for the 5km. So a few questions:

1. I can run for just over a mile and need to walk then for 15 secs. How quick does the running without stopping come?
2. Knees are sore afterwards. Any advice. Not excruciating just sore for a few hours. I am wearing Salomon Speedcross 4 trail runners as once in the forest and up the hills it is very slippy. Maybe not suitable for the pavement parts? Fücked if I am changing runners on the short run though.
Go to the running hub and get the gait analysis. You might need stability runners. The problem most people have with running is they get injured. Are you carrying much weight?

Get a garmin forerunner watch and start timing yourself. Ideally each week you want to do one long slow run, one interval session and one tempo run. Just going out and running the same distance won’t improve your times that much. Joining a running a club is a good idea.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

assfly wrote:I wouldn't over-emphasise on the shoes. Just find something comfortable and focus on your technique and strength.

Our ancestors spent thousands and thousands of years running without the help of running shoes.
Pipe down Eliud Kipchoge
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

assfly wrote:I wouldn't over-emphasise on the shoes. Just find something comfortable and focus on your technique and strength.

Absolute bollox
assfly

Post by assfly »

Sandstorm wrote:Pipe down Eliud Kipchoge
:lol: I think he's records are safe
Duff Paddy wrote:Absolute bollox
Go on...
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Duff Paddy wrote:
EverReady wrote:Can't see one. Just started running and looking for a few tips. We can share them here and diet and maybe pics of us all sweaty. So lost a bit of weight and decided to see if my dodgy knees can now do running and they can- sort of. I currently do the same route which is 3.67 miles and has 160ft elevation. Basically it is a mile on tarmac path then into a forest which has loose stone and muck, up a steep hill along the spine and then down and up a steep but again and down and back out to a mile on the path. I am doing it in 33 mins or 29 for the 5km. So a few questions:

Go to the running hub and get the gait analysis. You might need stability runners. The problem most people have with running is they get injured. Are you carrying much weight?

Get a garmin forerunner watch and start timing yourself. Ideally each week you want to do one long slow run, one interval session and one tempo run. Just going out and running the same distance won’t improve your times that much. Joining a running a club is a good idea.
No I'm pretty light. Lost 4 stone so am just over 11 now. Have a Garmin vivoactive that I got off Santa. Great yoke. My missus does that running hub thing alright. I didn't think I was serious enough for that level of analysis
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

I started running in addition to cycling late last year, it is less crap in the cold and rain.

I have noticed that the aches kind of go away the more you run. Still get groin niggles sometimes but stretched a bit last night which seemed to help. Did some runs over in hot weather and was amazed at how it helped me improve when I got back to ireland.

I'd say sign up for your local Parkrun, they are nice events.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Will have to try and work it some how as in the parkrun. Clashes with the kids horse riding/GAA/whatever the other do
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

yeah but they grew up doing it.

unless OP is Abebe Bikila I would suggest he uses decent running shoes
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I am not Bikila or his ma. I wasn't wholly honest as I did some athletics when younger but shorter track distances and the Olympics eluded me
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Nols you will be interested no astonished to know the reason my generation with family from Dun Laoghaire stuck to imperial was the pier is just over 1.5 miles there and back. I measure all distances by visualising the pier
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Lads how often do you run?
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

ukjim wrote:

yeah but they grew up doing it.

unless OP is Abebe Bikila I would suggest he uses decent running shoes
on shoes...

I'm tempted to try the Altra brand for my next pair. Zero drop shoes but with decent cushioning and an extra wide toe box so your toes can splay naturally, need to be careful with how fast you ramp up your distance in them though. I tried Hokas but they rip my feet to shreds at anything above walking speed.

Note: For decent price daps I always use sportsshoes.com - I know that as long as I get cushioned and neutral shoes then I should be okay. Gait experts tell me I need stability shoes due to overpronation but they do not work for me at all and I end up broken. As long as they are comfortable to run in you can run in anything. My last pair of waveriders got to about 1500km before they needed to be binned

Currently I am using Mizuno WaveRiders, Asics Noosa, On Cloudform and Inov8 Mudclaws so have lots of different shoes on the go.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

You can run but you can’t hide.

First rule of exercising out in the open.
assfly

Post by assfly »

The best shoes I ran in were Nike Free 5.0

Falling apart now and can't seem to find any online. Not a fan of the new Nike shoes.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

assfly wrote:The best shoes I ran in were Nike Free 5.0

Falling apart now and can't seem to find any online. Not a fan of the new Nike shoes.
I have a 25% off voucher for Nike so whatever I am buying they are Nike
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

EverReady wrote:Lads how often do you run?
60-70km a week with some weeks down on that. On days I don't run i walk 4-8km's. Walking is very good for building distance running strength. I'll sometimes run twice a day. Shorter distances like 8 & 6. We do have the 3 in 1 in 2 weeks time which is a marathon at 6am, 1/2 marathon at 1pm and a 10km at 7pm. :lol:

Over Easter I run what is called the Easter 100 every year 48km's friday morning, 32 Saturday and 20 on Sunday. Normally solo. :(
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

sorCrer wrote:
60-70km a week with some weeks down on that. On days I don't run i walk 4-8km's. Walking is very good for building distance running strength. I'll sometimes run twice a day. Shorter distances like 8 & 6. We do have the 3 in 1 in 2 weeks time which is a marathon at 6am, 1/2 marathon at 1pm and a 10km at 7pm. :lol:

Over Easter I run what is called the Easter 100 every year 48km's friday morning, 32 Saturday and 20 on Sunday. Normally solo. :(
Jaysus, you need to get out more.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Jaysus, you need to get out more.
Ah, I do mate. In fact that is why I try run as much as possible. It's either that or a 1/2 a bottle of Black Bush a night and twice as much on the weekend.
Rabulah Conundrum

Post by Rabulah Conundrum »

I do three runs a week, usually about 100-120km a month when I get into a good routine. Fastest 5km is 21:58, 10k is 45:53, half-marathon is 1:47:07. Longest distance I've done is 30km and it nearly killed me, so I've got a bit to go before I tackle a full marathon. I use Asics runners, nothing too fancy. Wouldn't call myself a hugely committed runner, but I enjoy the fresh air, headspace, time to listen to music, and the endorphins and serotonin. And it keeps me from completely ruining myself with beer.

Had some trouble with extensor tendonitis a couple of years ago, which I fixed by buying more cushioned work and casual shoes (Vans ultra-range are great, thankfully work doesn't enforce a formal dress-code). I also find that doing a good squats/deadlifts session once a week really helps prevent injuries - and makes those uphill runs a lot easier.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Also ER, Core strength makes a huge difference. So get planking. :nod:

I'd warrant you can't last a minute on your first go without shaking and panting like Aisling Bea looking over her shoulder at me. :thumbup:
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I was thinking of doing another 3.67 miles tomorrow. I am taking from what you wrote I am within the zone of safety doing that.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Rabulah Conundrum wrote:I do three runs a week, usually about 100-120km a month when I get into a good routine. Fastest 5km is 21:58, 10k is 45:53, half-marathon is 1:47:07. Longest distance I've done is 30km and it nearly killed me, so I've got a bit to go before I tackle a full marathon. I use Asics runners, nothing too fancy. Wouldn't call myself a hugely committed runner, but I enjoy the fresh air, headspace, time to listen to music, and the endorphins and serotonin. And it keeps me from completely ruining myself with beer.

Had some trouble with extensor tendonitis a couple of years ago, which I fixed by buying more cushioned work and casual shoes (Vans ultra-range are great, thankfully work doesn't enforce a formal dress-code). I also find that doing a good squats/deadlifts session once a week really helps prevent injuries - and makes those uphill runs a lot easier.
I decided I am aiming to be able to do a 24 minute 5km by June.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

EverReady wrote:
Rabulah Conundrum wrote:I do three runs a week, usually about 100-120km a month when I get into a good routine. Fastest 5km is 21:58, 10k is 45:53, half-marathon is 1:47:07. Longest distance I've done is 30km and it nearly killed me, so I've got a bit to go before I tackle a full marathon. I use Asics runners, nothing too fancy. Wouldn't call myself a hugely committed runner, but I enjoy the fresh air, headspace, time to listen to music, and the endorphins and serotonin. And it keeps me from completely ruining myself with beer.

I decided I am aiming to be able to do a 24 minute 5km by June.
Use the Couch25k app and it has training plans built into it to help you decrease your times.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

EverReady wrote:I was thinking of doing another 3.67 miles tomorrow. I am taking from what you wrote I am within the zone of safety doing that.

If you're a new runner keep your mileage the same for a few weeks and the gradually increase it. Otherwise you almost probably will get injured. don't worry about speed just let the body get used to working again.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Will do and LM will try that app. I was looking at an online schedule and it was a little complicated for my needs- cross training etc
slick

Post by slick »

I'm always amazed when I start my now 2 decade old routine of starting to run, getting quite good, then leaving it for a few months to get f**ked again, how quickly the improvement is at the start. I reckon you will be doing the lot in no time.

My knees arn't that bad but I found pilates worked wonders for stopping injuries and keeping the usual ones away.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

slick wrote:I'm always amazed when I start my now 2 decade old routine of starting to run, getting quite good, then leaving it for a few months to get f**ked again, how quickly the improvement is at the start. I reckon you will be doing the lot in no time.

My knees arn't that bad but I found pilates worked wonders for stopping injuries and keeping the usual ones away.
I do a bit of Yoga every now and then which may or may not help my running and robustness but at least means that the foul air stewing in my digestive tract gets to escape with force and volume
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Bullettyme wrote:Still get groin niggles sometimes but stretched a bit last night which seemed to help.
Ohhh, look who got a shag last night. Show-off.