sorCrer

Re: The Running Thread

Post by sorCrer »

HKCJ wrote:
BokJock wrote:
slick wrote:
BokJock wrote:
slick wrote:
My target this year is the Glencoe half in September.
That looks awesome 8)
Are you involved in it?
Not yet, but think I might be now - the scenery around there will be immense.

Running up hills is a challenge due to my size - 120kg but the downhill parts will be fun!
120kg?! Fk I’ve put on 10kg since August and am up to 85 and find the difference in effort is huge. Don’t know how you cope at that weight!

Dropped from 87 to 84.5 last night after a 2 hour run. Lightest I've been in probably 25 years.
le chat

Post by le chat »

blindcider wrote:
le chat wrote:
blindcider wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
le chat wrote:Booked Amsterdam marathon. Super flat 8) maximum elevation is 32m
Good luck.
Sounds dull to me, I'm doing the green 26.2mile which is 78 laps around a victorian prison including steps up and down in the wings...

I hate flat races and, I like races that make people go WTF?
I like the crowd support and high participation numbers and the general feel of a big event and they're good ways to see a city
I hate crowds so I am absolutely the other way, prefer the personal touch of smaller events. Did enjoy York Marathon in October though which was actually my first ever marathon that wasn't preceded by a swim and bike or an ultramarathon
See York would be too small for my liking :?

What time did you do?
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

le chat wrote:
blindcider wrote:
le chat wrote:
blindcider wrote:
ElementFreak wrote: Good luck.
Sounds dull to me, I'm doing the green 26.2mile which is 78 laps around a victorian prison including steps up and down in the wings...

I hate flat races and, I like races that make people go WTF?
I like the crowd support and high participation numbers and the general feel of a big event and they're good ways to see a city
I hate crowds so I am absolutely the other way, prefer the personal touch of smaller events. Did enjoy York Marathon in October though which was actually my first ever marathon that wasn't preceded by a swim and bike or an ultramarathon
See York would be too small for my liking :?

What time did you do?
3:58, wanted to go sub 4 and was on 3:45 pace until 23 miles. wheels came off a bit then
DOB

Post by DOB »

le chat wrote:Anybody ever tried running shoes from Decathlon? My Hoka shoes are falling to bits but don't fancy a new pair of them. Need to get a load of gear from Decathlon anyway and have always been impressed by their general range of clothing for running and cycling.
My kids are getting great wear out of theirs, even if my daughter does still tend to put them on the wrong feet.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

HKCJ wrote:
BokJock wrote:
slick wrote:
BokJock wrote:
slick wrote:
My target this year is the Glencoe half in September.
That looks awesome 8)
Are you involved in it?
Not yet, but think I might be now - the scenery around there will be immense.

Running up hills is a challenge due to my size - 120kg but the downhill parts will be fun!
120kg?! Fk I’ve put on 10kg since August and am up to 85 and find the difference in effort is huge. Don’t know how you cope at that weight!
Down from closer to 130kg, but my playing weight in my 20’s was 110kg and I was fit as a fiddle then. I am also fairly tall at 6ft 3.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

HKCJ wrote:
BokJock wrote:
assfly wrote:Starting a 19 week training schedule today for a marathon in June.

Running without a race booked in the near future is difficult. I lose motivation so quickly.
Same here. Into week 6 of my program for Edinburgh. got a couple of 10km and probably a 1/2 to do along the way.

(Had to stop 30km into the Loch Ness Marathon due to old rugby hip injury, so this is the last chance to do a marathon before I am 40)
Am also doing Edinburgh.. week 6 already?! Fk I’ve got some catching up to do! Where do you run BJ? The old cycle paths around Water of Leith are brilliant for training I find as is the Union Canal.. lots of Strava times on them to keep you motivated.
I am up in Aberdeenshire , Royal Deeside. But have run a bit around Lothian last summer. Including the North Berwick Law.

Fun race, bit treacherous in the coming down in the rain though
le chat

Post by le chat »

blindcider wrote:
3:58, wanted to go sub 4 and was on 3:45 pace until 23 miles. wheels came off a bit then
Good stuff :thumbup: any plans for more?
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

le chat wrote:
blindcider wrote:
Good stuff :thumbup: any plans for more?
no, other than the prison one. next years plans are for the "Oner", A Frog Graham round and the Deca-Ironman
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

BokJock wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
BokJock wrote:

Running without a race booked in the near future is difficult. I lose motivation so quickly.
Same here. Into week 6 of my program for Edinburgh. got a couple of 10km and probably a 1/2 to do along the way.

(Had to stop 30km into the Loch Ness Marathon due to old rugby hip injury, so this is the last chance to do a marathon before I am 40)
Am also doing Edinburgh.. week 6 already?! Fk I’ve got some catching up to do! Where do you run BJ? The old cycle paths around Water of Leith are brilliant for training I find as is the Union Canal.. lots of Strava times on them to keep you motivated.
I am up in Aberdeenshire , Royal Deeside. But have run a bit around Lothian last summer. Including the North Berwick Law.

Didn't know there was a race up it.. have been up a couple of time with friends.. nice to see the ponies up there.

If you like hills then the 7 hills race is a good one.. http://www.seven-hills.org.uk/
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

HKCJ wrote:
BokJock wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
BokJock wrote:

Didn't know there was a race up it.. have been up a couple of time with friends.. nice to see the ponies up there.

If you like hills then the 7 hills race is a good one.. http://www.seven-hills.org.uk/
Aye, it is only 5km but pretty steep on the way up. The proper lads do some crazy speed coming down though
le chat

Post by le chat »

Decathlon's trainers seemed very poorly quality, so didn't bother.

Thinking about trying Altra shoes which have a nice wide toe box.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Lads when you have a physio programme is it worth doubling up in the exercises if you have the time? I normally barely get the usual reps done but am a bit more flexible at present. He has five exercises listed with three reps of ten. I do them in the morning. Would it be worth doing that again on the evening or am I risking straining the knee too much? I am betwixt and between on it.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

EverReady wrote:Lads when you have a physio programme is it worth doubling up in the exercises if you have the time? I normally barely get the usual reps done but am a bit more flexible at present. He has five exercises listed with three reps of ten. I do them in the morning. Would it be worth doing that again on the evening or am I risking straining the knee too much? I am betwixt and between on it.
My non-expert advice would be that it depends on how much load you are putting through the knee. If you are strengthening the muscles around the knee with these exercise then you are probably okay as long as you keep form that doesn't put strain or exacerbate the injury as the muscles tire.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Got through 90km's last week but have taken 2 days rest. Getting itchy so will kick off tomorrow again.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

blindcider wrote:
EverReady wrote:Lads when you have a physio programme is it worth doubling up in the exercises if you have the time? I normally barely get the usual reps done but am a bit more flexible at present. He has five exercises listed with three reps of ten. I do them in the morning. Would it be worth doing that again on the evening or am I risking straining the knee too much? I am betwixt and between on it.
My non-expert advice would be that it depends on how much load you are putting through the knee. If you are strengthening the muscles around the knee with these exercise then you are probably okay as long as you keep form that doesn't put strain or exacerbate the injury as the muscles tire.
Very little load as in most are strengthening exercises. Have one with kettle bells but it isn't heavy as in 20kg
le chat

Post by le chat »

Yes go for it. Most of the time as a practitioner you're trying to give the minimal effective dose because patients are crap at doing exercise and you don't want to put them off
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Sound. Thanks a mill
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

I did my first 10km last night. Pretty happy with it as it had been a goal for the year. Had to adjust my pace a few times as my lungs were about to burst. Worst part was getting a lain in my shoulder towards the end.

Remarkably little pain in my legs today.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Bullettyme wrote:I did my first 10km last night. Pretty happy with it as it had been a goal for the year. Had to adjust my pace a few times as my lungs were about to burst. Worst part was getting a lain in my shoulder towards the end.

wait till tomorrow!

and kudos :thumbup:
Last edited by BokJock on Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Bullettyme wrote:I did my first 10km last night. Pretty happy with it as it had been a goal for the year. Had to adjust my pace a few times as my lungs were about to burst. Worst part was getting a lain in my shoulder towards the end.

Shoulder pain is an indentifier that you are not running with great form - probably holding your upper body too tight rather than relaxing your shoulders - you aren't alone and I can get excruciating shoulder pain in a hard 5k
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

BokJock wrote:

wait till tomorrow!

Cheers, I purposely didn't cycle to work today thinking I'd be wrecked and it turns out to be the nicest day of the year thus far.

Blindcider, I was thinking I am too tight in the shoulders and upper body. I've tried to relax a bit as I'm wasting energy. Happens to me when cycling too. Also had my phone in left hand pocket which is also the shoulder that hurt so maybe a contributor.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Bullettyme wrote:
BokJock wrote:

wait till tomorrow!

Cheers, I purposely didn't cycle to work today thinking I'd be wrecked and it turns out to be the nicest day of the year thus far.

Blindcider, I was thinking I am too tight in the shoulders and upper body. I've tried to relax a bit as I'm wasting energy. Happens to me when cycling too. Also had my phone in left hand pocket which is also the shoulder that hurt so maybe a contributor.
If you hold the phone up to your ear that should help
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Start slower get your breathing right and find your pace. Once you figure that out you can keep running for ages
DOB

Post by DOB »

Bullettyme wrote:
BokJock wrote:

wait till tomorrow!

You should’ve cycled. I always find low impact exercises (cycling, swimming) help flush out the soreness the day after impact (running, rugby). I would definitely say ride to work tomorrow. But then, I would recommend to everyone to ride to work every day that it’s feasible.
DOB

Post by DOB »

EverReady wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
BokJock wrote:

wait till tomorrow!

He’ll look a bit silly with the left pocket of his trousers up against his ear.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

DOB wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
BokJock wrote:

wait till tomorrow!

You should’ve cycled. I always find low impact exercises (cycling, swimming) help flush out the soreness the day after impact (running, rugby). I would definitely say ride to work tomorrow. But then, I would recommend to everyone to ride to work every day that it’s feasible.
I'm generally of that mindset myself. Best way to get cross city in the mornings :thumbup:
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

DOB wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
BokJock wrote:

wait till tomorrow!

He’ll look a bit silly with the left pocket of his trousers up against his ear.
You all know more about exercise than me
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Jacket pocket btw.

Need to get me one of those nice Garmin watches that plays music or podcasts.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Bullettyme wrote:Jacket pocket btw.

You can get the forerunner 245music pretty reasonably priced these days. You can’t run with a phone
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Just run. Listening to music whilst running is dangerous and headphones/earpods etc are banned in all IAAF sanctioned races.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

My daughter is attempting the Taupo Half-ironman this weekend - it's part of her build-up to the full Ironman distance next year.

I have had to pull out of her support crew as my back is too buggered to even sit in one place for a day, let alone walk around.

Should run a sweep on how many times I refresh her page in the competitor details updates.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Enzedder wrote:My daughter is attempting the Taupo Half-ironman this weekend - it's part of her build-up to the full Ironman distance next year.

I have had to pull out of her support crew as my back is too buggered to even sit in one place for a day, let alone walk around.

Should run a sweep on how many times I refresh her page in the competitor details updates.
Support crew? Outside assistance is a DQ during these events, not sure on your meaning of crew but just be wary of that rule.

Good luck to her, 70.3 is the best tri race distance IMO.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Enzedder wrote:My daughter is attempting the Taupo Half-ironman this weekend - it's part of her build-up to the full Ironman distance next year.

Good luck.

Just use an auto refresh extension in Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... alko?hl=en
le chat

Post by le chat »

What a great place for a triathlon
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

sorCrer wrote:

Just run. Listening to music whilst running is dangerous and headphones/earpods etc are banned in all IAAF sanctioned races.
Never hear of aftershokz?
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

blindcider wrote:

Support crew? Outside assistance is a DQ during these events, not sure on your meaning of crew but just be wary of that rule.

Good luck to her, 70.3 is the best tri race distance IMO.

There is a crew of us going to yell out encouragement which is definitely allowed (we know not to give her food although last time we sprayed her with water pistols as she went past in the heat). It was my wife and I, my sister and her daughter going but now I'm out dammit. I will be working bloody hard to make sure I am there next year for the full one.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

le chat wrote: What a great place for a triathlon

You are telling me nothing I don't know. It's my home town. :smug: :smug:
assfly

Post by assfly »

sorCrer wrote:Just run. Listening to music whilst running is dangerous and headphones/earpods etc are banned in all IAAF sanctioned races.
I listen to music all day, but I stopped listening to music a while ago. There is something nice about the peace and quiet, and clearing your head. Also easier to track breathing.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Duff Paddy wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Never hear of aftershokz?
Never tried them. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out that they're banned by the IAAF and not very sociable. Don't know what it's like in Ireland but road (and trail) running is big here. There are races every weekend with several 1000 people. The headphones question is hotly debated.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

assfly wrote:
sorCrer wrote:Just run. Listening to music whilst running is dangerous and headphones/earpods etc are banned in all IAAF sanctioned races.
I listen to music all day, but I stopped listening to music a while ago. There is something nice about the peace and quiet, and clearing your head. Also easier to track breathing.
I only do if I'm driving or partying. As an aside, I'm seeing Hernan live at Tomorrowland on 17 July. :smug: