Re: The Running Thread

Post by assfly »

Nice!
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Enzedder wrote:
blindcider wrote:
Enzedder wrote:My daughter is attempting the Taupo Half-ironman this weekend - it's part of her build-up to the full Ironman distance next year.

I have had to pull out of her support crew as my back is too buggered to even sit in one place for a day, let alone walk around.

Should run a sweep on how many times I refresh her page in the competitor details updates.
Support crew? Outside assistance is a DQ during these events, not sure on your meaning of crew but just be wary of that rule.

Good luck to her, 70.3 is the best tri race distance IMO.

There is a crew of us going to yell out encouragement which is definitely allowed (we know not to give her food although last time we sprayed her with water pistols as she went past in the heat). It was my wife and I, my sister and her daughter going but now I'm out dammit. I will be working bloody hard to make sure I am there next year for the full one.
Cool, just like rugby there are loads of people who don't know the rules and the IM brand have been known to be quite strict on this particular one (and the zip positioning rule) even way back in the pack where its not giving anyone a competitive advantage.

Keep us updated, I'd love to hear how she gets on.

The refreshing the Live-timing app is something you will have to get used to if she does these things a lot though
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

sorCrer wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:Jacket pocket btw.

Need to get me one of those nice Garmin watches that plays music or podcasts.
Just run. Listening to music whilst running is dangerous and headphones/earpods etc are banned in all IAAF sanctioned races.
Never hear of aftershokz?
Never tried them. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out that they're banned by the IAAF and not very sociable. Don't know what it's like in Ireland but road (and trail) running is big here. There are races every weekend with several 1000 people. The headphones question is hotly debated.
i'm not sure about the IAAF but England Athletics has authorised use of the aftershokz headphones in road races now as they don't compromise your hearing with the bone conducting stuff. I tried a pair and it works pretty well but I don't tend to listen to things when i am running - thats my time away from screens.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

sorCrer wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Just run. Listening to music whilst running is dangerous and headphones/earpods etc are banned in all IAAF sanctioned races.
Never tried them. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out that they're banned by the IAAF and not very sociable. Don't know what it's like in Ireland but road (and trail) running is big here. There are races every weekend with several 1000 people. The headphones question is hotly debated.
Yeah it’s very big here. Aftershohz are race legal. Good for podcasts.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Duff Paddy wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Yeah it’s very big here. Aftershohz are race legal. Good for podcasts.
It's interesting IAAF Rule 144.3b is the rule in question. An exclusion can be implemented for closed to traffic races. Which goes to illegal communication e.g. pacing or mechanical aid. Common argument here is does listening to music provide aid.

For me, I like to hear what's going on around me and even greet/speak to people especially in races as a social activity. Pretty much everyone here runs for a club and in club colours and there are a lot of clubs so there is a friendly rivalry amongst them. Once you've been running for 6-7 hours you don't need music your mind takes over. :lol:
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

assfly wrote:
sorCrer wrote:Just run. Listening to music whilst running is dangerous and headphones/earpods etc are banned in all IAAF sanctioned races.
I listen to music all day, but I stopped listening to music a while ago. There is something nice about the peace and quiet, and clearing your head. Also easier to track breathing.
That is why I listen to music, all the wheezing and spluttering would really demotivate me
assfly

Post by assfly »

BokJock wrote:
That is why I listen to music, all the wheezing and spluttering would really demotivate me
That's funny, my wife said the same thing the other day.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

I like to hear what's going on around me and even greet/speak to people
That’s the whole point of aftershokz- they don’t cover your ears so you can still hear people around you
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

How are races organised in your parts of the world? Do you have drinks tables etc?
assfly

Post by assfly »

sorCrer wrote:How are races organised in your parts of the world? Do you have drinks tables etc?
Apart from a handful of the big races (Nairobi Marathon), runners are advised to carry some loose change and to purchase from local kiosks. It's actually one of the attractions of running out here, you never know where you're going to stop and what you're going to eat and drink. If you're having a shit run, there is always somewhere to pop in for a beer to lift your spirits!
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

sorCrer wrote:How are races organised in your parts of the world? Do you have drinks tables etc?
Yes, normally. A lot of races (particularly longer races where backpacks/trailvests are common) are now demanding you carry your own receptacle for fluids to minimise plastic waste
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

All road races here in SA have tables every 3 kilometers with water and Coke. Sponsored by Coke. Longer races like marathons may have bananas, chocolates etc
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Sorc, Im not running for racing or anything. I started it for fitness whilst weather was too crap for cycling, turns out I like it for the challenge and satisfaction of getting a PR or beating a distance. So I like a podcast or a bit of music when running.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

sorCrer wrote:

I absolutely hate running without music. Always have my Bose EarPods in (by far the best earphones I’ve had). I do run without them in big races to savour the atmosphere but on training runs I would go crazy without music. I’d have to listen to my thoughts which would just be awful. I did try the Aftershokz but didn’t like them. I’ll happily admit it’s more dangerous but it’s worth it for me.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

blindcider wrote:
Keep us updated, I'd love to hear how she gets on.

The refreshing the Live-timing app is something you will have to get used to if she does these things a lot though

Looks like perfect weather. Very light winds, 22 degrees max and fine.

Swim done in 41 mins 25 seconds.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Bike ride done in 3 hours 32 - total 4 hrs 22 for 1st 2 legs. Doesn't look like she's pushing it
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Enzedder wrote:Bike ride done in 3 hours 32 - total 4 hrs 22 for 1st 2 legs. Doesn't look like she's pushing it
They are some good times - without knowing the specifics under 7:30 is a very good effort for a first half-IM and she's on pace for that if not under 7. Running a half marathon on tired legs is not nice and is often where the wheels come off if she hasn't got enough food in.

fingers crossed for her (and you)
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

She's a short chubby one. Run is more of a shuffle so she won't go under 7:30
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Holding her run pace well. 10.6 kms in 1hr 14 mins so still on track for a 7.10 time
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Slow finish to the run - finished it in 7:06:05
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Enzedder wrote:Slow finish to the run - finished it in 7:06:05
Great effort.
Denirostaxidriver

Post by Denirostaxidriver »

ElementFreak wrote:
Great effort.
Good work.

Watching the full IM on FB now. Good weather for it.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Ran a pleasant 2 hour 1/2 marathon this morning, flat and fast course. Always feels good when your strength builds. Tomorrows will be slower :(
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Ace :thumbup:
le chat

Post by le chat »

Great stuff
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Extensor Tendonitis. Has anyone got any experience with this? My foot has swelled up and I can barely walk. Dr has said NSAIDs and R.I.C.E :evil: any magic fixes?
assfly

Post by assfly »

Kahu wrote:Extensor Tendonitis. Has anyone got any experience with this? My foot has swelled up and I can barely walk. Dr has said NSAIDs and R.I.C.E :evil: any magic fixes?
I got this a while ago after rolling my ankle mid run.

Ice it as often as you can and lots of rest. A compression bandage should also help.

But if you're struggling to walk then I'd recommend seeing a doc. When my ankle roll happened it was agony, but I was in the middle of a forest and had to run another 12km just to get back my car, which strangely seemed to help.
handyman

Post by handyman »

HKCJ wrote:
handyman wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:So long as you’re not one of those people who try to run up Arthur’s Seat at noon on a Sunday when it’s peak time for tourists
Fkin tourists have ruined Arthur’s seat :x I do sometimes run up there but I use the routes the tourists don’t know about. The ring road is a great 5k loop for training either running or cycling.

Handyman - yeah good memory! I had that neck op 11 years ago and ran a marathon 6 months after. It barely affected my running at all. Breaking my pelvis on the other hand... that was a 2-3 year recovery.
Good to know. Will be having a neck operation to relieve a pinched nerve. Doc says should be fine to run after recovery.
What are you having done? Fusion or discectomy? I really hope it goes as well for you as mine did. Was like someone just pressed a switch and the pain disappeared and I got my life back. I know others haven’t been so lucky but it was an absolute life changer for me.
Update : Went for a second opinion at a set of neurologists, they are positive they will sort out the pain with medication. Have to cut back on the running distances tho, 12km at the longest, but it's better than nothing.

Will take medicine above a neck operation every day of the week!
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

We'll I remained injured as in sore knees until end of March. Prior to then I went to physio and he gave me a set of reps to strengthen around the knee. I did them and while the knee remained a bit sore I decided to have a go. They remained sore for a few weeks but are A1 now. As running appears to have a sense of humour my other legs hammer, quad and calf are sore now :lol: Tbf I am running everyday bar one now so probably over doing it a bit
I took a good bit of advice on here so do 20 mins everyday on core strength e.g. planks, Russian twists etc. Also do single leg glute bridges and squats with kettle bells. All pretty handily into the daily routine- thanks Covid.
Time wise the last 3 weeks have seen a lash of minutes off the 5k and I am now just under 25. Tbh if I wasn't minding my strains I would be at my 24 minute target by now. One of the major reasons for this is I got a pair of Nike Odyssey React yokes. As somebody new to running I had no idea how much of a difference half ok runners would make. So forgiving and particularly in the last few km. I am going to aim for 22 mins now by September

Edit: for the Irish my route is a winding one in the local park and the northern limit of it is within the 2km radius. Before anybody gets twitchy
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

My training was going well. Was working my way up to 50-60km a week with a couple of workouts in there and then bam, hit the edge of a pavement wrong and have a syndesmosis injury. Moon boot for 4 weeks at least and then starting again hopefully depending on the damage.

Interesting video about the long run here for people who want to see what the elites do and how they approach it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeN1FeJIygQ
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

EF It's astonishing how quick your endurance builds up if you put in the effort. The 6km I do everyday is now a handy distance while only 4 or 5 weeks ago it was a torturous event. Having said that my groin is now gone from this morning so I should a) have not gone out everyday and b) not posted on here about it. This thread has definitely hexed me. Hopefully not too bad but fairly sore all day so feels like a while off. Will continue to work on core strength in the meantime. I do think I could probably do a marathon now in the distant future and that is very pleasing. I thought that had passed me by and my dad ran a lash of them when I was a kid in the late 70's early 80's. I always wanted to do one so next year I reckon
assfly

Post by assfly »

Hard to motivate myself to do longer distances at the moment, without a race to work towards.

Currently working on my 5km time, but my heels are starting to tell me to ease off a bit.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

I miss running. I've had a sore knee for the last 6 months which has prevented me from doing it. During the lock down period, I've also been unable to use a bike and / or rowing machine at the local gym. I can't wait for the gym to reopen. My heart and weight management needs regular cardio again.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Could someone recommend some good/non-expensive running shoes?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Willie Falloon wrote:Could someone recommend some good/non-expensive running shoes?
Try and stretch to something half decent Willie. I have made the mistake of exercising in the past on very average runners, I am a world renowned scabby hole, but saving on runners doesn't fly. Think about the shape of your feet and your weight and then Google best runners e.g. are your arches normal or do they over pronate a bit or a lot. Having said all that my mate who runs a bit recently recommended Asics GT 1000 runners to me as a cheap runner for somebody not putting in huge mileage. They were 65 euro on m and m direct
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Willie Falloon wrote:Could someone recommend some good/non-expensive running shoes?
If you go to Kildare village you can get top of the range ASICS last years model for around €100. It’s the only outlay for running so I’d spend the money. I like their stability runner it’s called the Kayano, bit heavy for some people but seems to keep me injury free.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Brooks Adrenaline are a good alternative to Asics. They’re priced lower over here, dunno about availability back home.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

I’ve gone from being a sub 20 min 5k runner last year to around 25 min this year. Not training and becoming a fatty again sucks.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

HKCJ wrote:I’ve gone from being a sub 20 min 5k runner last year to around 25 min this year. Not training and becoming a fatty again sucks.
Barely run in the last 5 weeks under lockdown. We're not allowed onto the roads so have a 200m track around my house but running 8km's on that is boring af. Apparently, we're going to be allowed to run from Friday provided we're solo. I've put on 4kgs.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

DOB wrote:Brooks Adrenaline are a good alternative to Asics. They’re priced lower over here, dunno about availability back home.
All the brooks stuff is expensive here. My missus wears them and Asics. She pays about 180 quid for her runners. As I said a few posts up I can sort of see why now