The Running Thread

All things Rugby
Duff Paddy

Re: The Running Thread

Post by Duff Paddy »

EverReady wrote:
Rabulah Conundrum wrote:I do three runs a week, usually about 100-120km a month when I get into a good routine. Fastest 5km is 21:58, 10k is 45:53, half-marathon is 1:47:07. Longest distance I've done is 30km and it nearly killed me, so I've got a bit to go before I tackle a full marathon. I use Asics runners, nothing too fancy. Wouldn't call myself a hugely committed runner, but I enjoy the fresh air, headspace, time to listen to music, and the endorphins and serotonin. And it keeps me from completely ruining myself with beer.

Had some trouble with extensor tendonitis a couple of years ago, which I fixed by buying more cushioned work and casual shoes (Vans ultra-range are great, thankfully work doesn't enforce a formal dress-code). I also find that doing a good squats/deadlifts session once a week really helps prevent injuries - and makes those uphill runs a lot easier.
I decided I am aiming to be able to do a 24 minute 5km by June.
Aim for 25min first. If you don’t take things slow you’ll just get injured. Running is brutal like that. The bigger Park runs do pacer Saturday every last Saturday of the month. St Anne’s is the fastest park run in Dublin if you’re going for a PB. The regular 25min pacer there is very good he’ll encourage you all the way.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

EverReady wrote:Will do and LM will try that app. I was looking at an online schedule and it was a little complicated for my needs- cross training etc
Sunday: long slow run not sure where you’re starting from but try to run 8km or so at around 6min per km pace
Monday: rest
Tuesday: intervals. Pick your target time e.g. for 25min 5km do 12x400m under 2min each with 30seconds rest between each one
Wednesday: rest
Thursdays: Tempo run something like warm up 2km then 3km at almost your 5km target pace then 2km warm down
Friday: rest
Saturday: park run twice a month
le chat

Post by le chat »

I used to be a 2:44 marathoner but have put weight on in recent years and I am just getting back into running regularly. Currently just doing 3-5 miles, averaging below 9 minute miles at the moment so happy with that progress at 103kg.

Hoping to run a marathon later in the year looking at Marine corps (expensive) or Valencia (cheap). I would never do a marathon in England except London as I like a lot of crowd support which they don't tend to get here.

Currently running in Hoka Clifton's which are ready to be changed. Recently tried some Altras in a running store which were nice so also looking at this brand. It was a professional development session for podiatrists when I tried these and found that there is little alteration in my running gait depending on what shoe I wore. I don't think it is too far off of the mark to run in a shoe which you find comfortable, lots of the guys in running shoes talk absolute shite.

Also bought some Hoka sliders last week which are comfy but I am doubtful that they're particularly beneficial for recovery as advertised
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Duff Paddy wrote:
EverReady wrote:Will do and LM will try that app. I was looking at an online schedule and it was a little complicated for my needs- cross training etc
Sunday: long slow run not sure where you’re starting from but try to run 8km or so at around 6min per km pace
Tuesday: intervals. Pick your target time e.g. for 25min 5km do 12x400m under 2min each with 30seconds rest between each one
Thursdays: Tempo run something like warm up 2km then 3km at almost your 5km target pace then 2km warm down
Thanks a million. Will try that. Le chat you are 30 kilos heavier than me at that pace- kindly fück off :lol:
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

EverReady wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Thanks a million. Will try that. Le chat you are 30 kilos heavier than me at that pace- kindly fück off :lol:
22 more than me. Fast front rowers suck. :x
my 2 cents

Post by my 2 cents »

I run between bouts of calf niggles. No exercise like it. Straight out front door and you're doing it.

Lots of advice on staying injury free over the years. Most of this is on glute strengthening. Squats, split squats, single leg bridges, etc. What's working for me now is gentle warm up with few sets of squats and calf raises.

Stretches upon return

Repeat until next niggle!
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Throw in some easy KMs to that as well. You can't recovery properly from doing up tempo/fast stuff all the time. Easy pace is at a conversational pace, so one that you can comfortably run at and hold a full sentence conversation at.
le chat

Post by le chat »

EverReady wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
:lol:

5 miles tonight circa 46 minutes
Decided I wanted to definitely do Valencia, went on their site and it's sold out. They have a waiting list so gonna try for that
Looked at alternatives in Europe that time of year, YouTubed the Athens marathon and it looks ridiculously shit. I know the sentiment of running from marathon to Athens you're just running along a motorway for hours, bugger that.
Fenman

Post by Fenman »

EverReady wrote:I was thinking of doing another 3.67 miles tomorrow. I am taking from what you wrote I am within the zone of safety doing that.
I should say that you will make rapid progress towards a world record over 3.67 miles. In all seriousness, all you are doing by constantly running the same course is teaching yourself to run over that course. As a newbie, what is important is time on feet. Pace is not so important, although if you can find yourself a running partner of similar speed, it is worth doing either intervals or up hill sprints or simply running as fast as possible over a distance that is comfortable at least once a week.

If you are just starting running, you should be able to make substantial progress with your times. At the age of 30, my first four half marathons took me down from 1h 48m to 1h 33m. In my first season of regularly doing organised road runs, my 10k time went from 48m to within a handful of seconds of 40m and to try to put this in perspective, my schoolboy athletics career was in the throwing events and in rugby I was usually a second row, so I don't have the same sort of build as an Ethiopian. I'm sure I wouldn't have made such progress without the help of a running club and company on runs.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Kids mean no time for cycling anymore. Now running 2 x 5 km during the week and a 10+km run on the weekend. VO2 max is 50, but pretty static with this amount of running. The extreme summer heat in Brisbane makes it hard to push it. When winter hits, want to get under 50 min 10 km and 22 min 5 km. Getting to late 40s now, so unlikely to get too much below that.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

I run roughly 2 miles every second day, my glass feet couldn't take much further without running into injury.

In terms of running tips, I listen to audible audiobooks and refuse to allow myself listen to them if I don't run. That way it's something extra to look forward to on the run if you don't feel like going.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

I have found Strava to be a really great motivator. and I was a total non runner until a few years ago.

I have become a real saddo with it - setting routes and segments around my village - but the competitor in me gets a real kick out of getting the virtual medals - so pushes me not to stop or go that bit quicker.

And the narcissist in me likes getting the kudos :blush:
assfly

Post by assfly »

BokJock wrote:I have found Strava to be a really great motivator. and I was a total non runner until a few years ago.

I have become a real saddo with it - setting routes and segments around my village - but the competitor in me gets a real kick out of getting the virtual medals - so pushes me not to stop or go that bit quicker.

Same with me. You feel compelled to push yourself so that your run looks good. It's a bit sad, but in a healthy kind of way!
rustycruiser

Post by rustycruiser »

I am on day 494 on a "minimum of 3 miles outside everyday" run streak. According to Strava, I ended up doing around 1270 miles in 2019 in 172.5 hours with an elevation gain of 53K feet. I try to vary my route a fair bit, and add in some longer runs, but still tend to get a bit bored. My longest run was only 10 miles, so not that much variation.

What I have found is my body pretty easily adapts to the minimum fitness needed. So I can knock out 3 miles with minimal effort. But throw in 10 miles or steep hills and my body says wtf is this? I do add about 2-3K miles biking on zwift or outdoors to the equation to try help.

An awful lot of effort and time wasted just because I have no impulse control and eat any chocolate or chips or "insetr crap food" in front of me
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Well the inevitable happened and my dodgy knee gave out Thursday. It's the inside of the knee and when you press in down from the joint it is pretty sore. Hard enough to walk on Friday, bend Saturday and is fine today :? Have appointment with physio so will see what he says.
assfly

Post by assfly »

EverReady wrote:Well the inevitable happened and my dodgy knee gave out Thursday. It's the inside of the knee and when you press in down from the joint it is pretty sore. Hard enough to walk on Friday, bend Saturday and is fine today :? Have appointment with physio so will see what he says.
Hard luck EverReady. Did it happen whilst you were running?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

assfly wrote:
EverReady wrote:Well the inevitable happened and my dodgy knee gave out Thursday. It's the inside of the knee and when you press in down from the joint it is pretty sore. Hard enough to walk on Friday, bend Saturday and is fine today :? Have appointment with physio so will see what he says.
Hard luck EverReady. Did it happen whilst you were running?
Yeah. We have a run around in the club on a Wednesday night and about three years ago felt a twinge. Over the Christmas it got worse, then better and that has been it for the last few years. I thought the weight loss would fix it but nah
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

He will probably say you need to build up the muscles around the knee and give you exercises. Voltarol gel is pretty good I find.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Duff Paddy wrote:
He will probably say you need to build up the muscles around the knee and give you exercises. Voltarol gel is pretty good I find.
Will stick to them this time :blush:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Do your rehab. It's not just for shits and giggles.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Nolanator wrote:Do your rehab. It's not just for shits and giggles.
Gym rat 'roid heads get out of this thread. Runners don't lift :P
assfly

Post by assfly »

Starting a 19 week training schedule today for a marathon in June.

Running without a race booked in the near future is difficult. I lose motivation so quickly.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

assfly wrote:Starting a 19 week training schedule today for a marathon in June.

Running without a race booked in the near future is difficult. I lose motivation so quickly.
Yeah. Long runs on your own are lonely.

Running Sunrise Monster 32km on Saturday morning so will do a week of double ups Tues 4km, Weds 8km, Thurs 16km, Rest Friday, 32km Sat
assfly

Post by assfly »

sorCrer wrote:Yeah. Long runs on your own are lonely.

Running Sunrise Monster 32km on Saturday morning so will do a week of double ups Tues 4km, Weds 8km, Thurs 16km, Rest Friday, 32km Sat
I usually take my two dogs with me when I run. Especially if it's early morning when the hyenas are around. They're great company.

That's a serious amount of mileage for one week! How much do you weigh, out of curiosity?
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

assfly wrote:
sorCrer wrote:Yeah. Long runs on your own are lonely.

I usually take my two dogs with me when I run. Especially if it's early morning when the hyenas are around. They're great company.

That's a serious amount of mileage for one week! How much do you weigh, out of curiosity?
Currently around 87. Started the year at 94 :blush:
assfly

Post by assfly »

That's not bad. I'm a bit heavier than you, and I can feel it on my legs and back when I run. Will hopefully dip under 90 fairly soon into training.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

le chat wrote:I used to be a 2:44 marathoner but have put weight on in recent years and I am just getting back into running regularly. Currently just doing 3-5 miles, averaging below 9 minute miles at the moment so happy with that progress at 103kg.

Hoping to run a marathon later in the year looking at Marine corps (expensive) or Valencia (cheap). I would never do a marathon in England except London as I like a lot of crowd support which they don't tend to get here.

Currently running in Hoka Clifton's which are ready to be changed. Recently tried some Altras in a running store which were nice so also looking at this brand. It was a professional development session for podiatrists when I tried these and found that there is little alteration in my running gait depending on what shoe I wore. I don't think it is too far off of the mark to run in a shoe which you find comfortable, lots of the guys in running shoes talk absolute shite.

Also bought some Hoka sliders last week which are comfy but I am doubtful that they're particularly beneficial for recovery as advertised
Can recommend the Marine Corps Marathon. Really nice route, decent support, well organised.. the only bitch is the last 100m which is very uphill. You do have a bunch of marines screaming at you though which is good for the motivation. Some pretty impressive times by amputees too.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

blindcider wrote:
Nolanator wrote:Do your rehab. It's not just for shits and giggles.
Gym rat 'roid heads get out of this thread. Runners don't lift :P
I went running on Saturday, so nyer!
Closing in on 60 now. Would have it by now if it wasn't for lots of travelling and weather related cancellations in the last month and a bit.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

HKCJ wrote:
le chat wrote:I used to be a 2:44 marathoner but have put weight on in recent years and I am just getting back into running regularly. Currently just doing 3-5 miles, averaging below 9 minute miles at the moment so happy with that progress at 103kg.

Can recommend the Marine Corps Marathon. Really nice route, decent support, well organised.. the only bitch is the last 100m which is very uphill. You do have a bunch of marines screaming at you though which is good for the motivation. Some pretty impressive times by amputees too.
Have you got anything lined up?

I did the Hampton Court Half last year, I like to think I have another marathon in the tank but rowing is just getting in the way now. Would love to do London but I simply cant be arsed to take a charity place.
argus

Post by argus »

BokJock wrote:I have found Strava to be a really great motivator. and I was a total non runner until a few years ago.

Can the cute on strava be preset ?
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

assfly wrote:Starting a 19 week training schedule today for a marathon in June.

Same here. Into week 6 of my program for Edinburgh. got a couple of 10km and probably a 1/2 to do along the way.

(Had to stop 30km into the Loch Ness Marathon due to old rugby hip injury, so this is the last chance to do a marathon before I am 40)
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Why do I struggle to get my heart rate up into a decent zone on an elliptical machine, but struggle to keep it down into a decent zone on a road run?

I'm seem to sweat and huff and puff just as much doing either one.
le chat

Post by le chat »

HKCJ wrote:

It sounds awesome, I really want to do it but getting married next year so looks like I'm gonna go for a cheaper option.

Valencia was sold out which is annoying, thought about Florence but difficult to get to and has a large industrial section so think it's gonna be Amsterdam
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mog The Almighty wrote:Why do I struggle to get my heart rate up into a decent zone on an elliptical machine, but struggle to keep it down into a decent zone on a road run?

It’s actually hard to run slow
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

Trying to get back into running atm, following a knee injury. Not so much chronic just niggling / won't go away. After months of stretching / strengthening following physio advice, with no real joy, I have recently taken to yoga to see if it would help, and my new found core strength is taking the weight off and actually allowing me to run :thumbup:

Got a half marathon in 13 weeks, should just about be ok for that if I can keep my training up
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

dargotronV.1 wrote:Trying to get back into running atm, following a knee injury. Not so much chronic just niggling / won't go away. After months of stretching / strengthening following physio advice, with no real joy, I have recently taken to yoga to see if it would help, and my new found core strength is taking the weight off and actually allowing me to run :thumbup:

Got a half marathon in 13 weeks, should just about be ok for that if I can keep my training up
Core strength is critical. Planking is one of the best exercises. The world record was beaten yesterday. 8 hours 15 ffs

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/23/us/n ... index.html
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:Why do I struggle to get my heart rate up into a decent zone on an elliptical machine, but struggle to keep it down into a decent zone on a road run?

Erm what? Please explain because my experience is the exact opposite.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Most people have a natural jogging pace that puts their heart rate quite high. Your “conversational” running pace where you can hold a full conversation whilst running is very slow so if you’re running on your own you’re usually way faster than that.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Most people have a natural jogging pace that puts their heart rate quite high. Your “conversational” running pace where you can hold a full conversation whilst running is very slow so if you’re running on your own you’re usually way faster than that.
Below a certain speed, walking is actually more energy efficient than running. I find trying to trudge big really difficult. Opening up the stride and speeding up a bit actually makes it easier.
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

sorCrer wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:Trying to get back into running atm, following a knee injury. Not so much chronic just niggling / won't go away. After months of stretching / strengthening following physio advice, with no real joy, I have recently taken to yoga to see if it would help, and my new found core strength is taking the weight off and actually allowing me to run :thumbup:

Core strength is critical. Planking is one of the best exercises. The world record was beaten yesterday. 8 hours 15 ffs

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/23/us/n ... index.html
I'll get on to tackling that record after the half :thumbup: