Cotechino vs Haggis - Lazy Italy v Scotland Thread

All things Rugby
sturginho

Cotechino vs Haggis - Lazy Italy v Scotland Thread

Post by sturginho »

What will happen when the resistible force meets the movable object?

Where:

Who:
Italy: Hayward, Bellini, Morisi, Canna, Minozzi, Allan, Braley, Steyn, Negri, Polledri, Cannone, Zanni, Zilocchi, Bigi, Lovotti.

Replacements: Zani, Fischetti, Riccioni, Lazzaroni, Budd, Licata, Palazzani, Bisegni.

Scotland: Hogg (capt); Maitland, Harris, Johnson, Kinghorn; Hastings, Price; Sutherland, McInally, Fagerson, Cummings, Toolis, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury.

Replacements: Brown, Dell, Nel, Gilchrist, Fagerson, Horne, Hutchinson, McGuigan.

When: Saturday, 22 February Kick-off: 14:15 GMT
Last edited by sturginho on Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dargotronV.1

Re: Cotechino vs Haggis - Lazy Italy v Scotland Thread

Post by dargotronV.1 »

Hope your team this weekend are as poor as your match thread.
Steamin Beamin

Post by Steamin Beamin »

Italy must really fancy their chances in this one. Home advantage, farewell game for a legend, Scotland are shit. They'll be smelling blood.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Away this weekend. Don't know if I can be arsed catching up with it Sunday night.
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

Steamin Beamin wrote:Italy must really fancy their chances in this one. Home advantage, farewell game for a legend, Scotland are shit. They'll be smelling blood.
They will be but then they fancy themselves every time they play us. If anything their performance in France will give them some confidence but if we can get on top up front I think we'll have enough to see it through.
sturginho

Post by sturginho »

Steamin Beamin wrote:Italy must really fancy their chances in this one. Home advantage, farewell game for a legend, Scotland are shit. They'll be smelling blood.
If you mean Parisse, he's not in the team
sturginho

Post by sturginho »

dargotronV.1 wrote:Hope your team this weekend are as poor as your match thread.
I get the feeling the quality of the match will befit the quality of the match thread
Steamin Beamin

Post by Steamin Beamin »

sturginho wrote:
I thought he was being wheeled out for a couple of games.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

I won’t be shedding too many tears if we lose this one TBH. Townsend has to go, and a whitewash would make his position untenable.
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

This could be a cliffhanger.
Looking forward to it.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Is Franco Smit doing any good with the Italy team ? Or is it too early to tell ?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

ITALIA ITALIA ITALIA
Joost

Post by Joost »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:Is Franco Smit doing any good with the Italy team ? Or is it too early to tell ?
They were showing some deft skills last week (nice offloads, support lines and a couple of cracking tries) which we haven’t really seen from Italy before, albeit against a France team that had switched-off in classic style. They were garbage against Wales the week before though, so who knows!

Scotland, by contrast, probably should’ve knocked over Ireland in Dublin but were woeful against England, in a match where even the slightest bit of wherewithal would’ve been enough to win.

If both teams play there best rugby it could actually be a good highlight reel game :thumbup:
Last edited by Joost on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

Anonymous. wrote:ITALIA ITALIA ITALIA
This.

I predicted a Scottish wooden spoon prior the tournament and I have seen nothing since to suggest otherwise.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

What a difference 2 weeks/1 game makes......Remember people were predicting a Scottish win against the Saes. However the Scottish posters were much more reticent. Now it's gloom and doom, honestly you could be Welsh with this up and down stuff
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

Frodder wrote:What a difference 2 weeks/1 game makes......Remember people were predicting a Scottish win against the Saes. However the Scottish posters were much more reticent. Now it's gloom and doom, honestly you could be Welsh with this up and down stuff
Hey there's no need for that :x I can take most insults but that's below the belt
charltom

Post by charltom »

Frodder wrote:What a difference 2 weeks/1 game makes......Remember people were predicting a Scottish win against the Saes. However the Scottish posters were much more reticent. Now it's gloom and doom, honestly you could be Welsh with this up and down stuff
Sounds to me like down and down stuff - there's been no up from us.
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

Got a wooden spoon, a bowl of ragu and a bowl of cullen skink, just waiting to see which one I'll be eating from!
Steamin Beamin

Post by Steamin Beamin »

When were these ups you speak of?

x(
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

Don't think anyone predicted a win but I'm more confident Scotland can challenge Wales with Pivac in charge than Gatland. Is that too contraversial? Scotland could've played Gatland's Wales every week for every year he was in charge and not have beaten them. Him and Edwards were too good.
Smutley

Post by Smutley »

Doc Rob wrote:I won’t be shedding too many tears if we lose this one TBH. Townsend has to go, and a whitewash would make his position untenable.
That'll be some consolation, though by no means a cert.

Back row battle should be good. Italy have three good ball carriers there.

Let's see if we can win a lineout this week.
Crash_12

Post by Crash_12 »

I like haggis wrote:
Don't think anyone predicted a win but I'm more confident Scotland can challenge Wales with Pivac in charge than Gatland. Is that too contraversial? Scotland could've played Gatland's Wales every week for every year he was in charge and not have beaten them. Him and Edwards were too good.
This ”it’s only Gatland that made Wales better than Scotland” shite is just that, shite. Over the last decade we’ve had 5-10 players at any one time who’d walk into the Scotland team. World Class players.

You’ve had maybe one player in that bracket and over a similar time frame, Hogg, and he’s still not as good as Liam Williams or as solid as Halfpenny.
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

Crash_12 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
This ”it’s only Gatland that made Wales better than Scotland” shite is just that, shite. Over the last decade we’ve had 5-10 players at any one time who’d walk into the Scotland team. World Class players.

You’ve had maybe one player in that bracket and over a similar time frame, Hogg, and he’s still not as good as Liam Williams or as solid as Halfpenny.
That's not what Haggis said :?

Nobody is arguing that AWJ, Davies, Williams (on the wing ;) ) or Toby wouldn't have commanded a place in the Scotland IX, even with our improvements made in recent years you've generally either edged games against us through smart rugby or given us a right pumping.

However there's a fair debate to be had as to why Wales are so competitive at international level when their regions are average. I thought most Welshmen were happy to concede that Gatland was a great coach who got the best out of his players?
Crash_12

Post by Crash_12 »

It’s a common suggestion on the bored at present and there was a discussion in that vein on the Scottish thread a few weeks back.

If we put all our eggs into two baskets the regions would be much better but it would be devastating for the long term health of the game and national team.
slick

Post by slick »

Anon and Derwyn spending their own time looking for Scotland threads to troll again, what a pair :thumbup:
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

Crash_12 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Not what I said.

Wales often have a handful of world class players. Gatland's genius was elevating the average players you have into serious internationals. It's no coincidence the time Scotland did beat Wales was with Howley in charge who couldn't turn the average Scotland standard players into the international heavyweights Gatland created.

Hardly an insult. You had rugby's best coach with a good team and achieved great success. That's the dream no?
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Am I Crazy (yes) or were Wales not pretty fortunate to come away with a win last year? Like, Ireland v Scotland this year lucky? I'll let you get back to talking about the Italians but no I don't think it's controversial to say you fancy taking us on, away factor may be what seals it though.
AlanBengio

Post by AlanBengio »

Italy to win with Scotland and England.
Go to the betting shop now; there is no time to lose!!!
sturginho

Post by sturginho »

AlanBengio wrote:Italy to win with Scotland and England.
Go to the betting shop now; there is no time to lose!!!
Cos' hai bevuto? :P
Steamin Beamin

Post by Steamin Beamin »

AND-y wrote:Am I Crazy (yes) or were Wales not pretty fortunate to come away with a win last year? Like, Ireland v Scotland this year lucky? I'll let you get back to talking about the Italians but no I don't think it's controversial to say you fancy taking us on, away factor may be what seals it though.

If I'm remembering correctly it was very much a game of two halves. Wales dominated the first half and Scotland the second. The difference being you converted your chances in to points, where as we spent a long time in your 22 with fudge all to show for it (sounds familiar). I wouldn't call it fortunate, Wales know how to win even when they aren't playing well.
Crash_12

Post by Crash_12 »

I like haggis wrote:
Crash_12 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Not what I said.

Wales often have a handful of world class players. Gatland's genius was elevating the average players you have into serious internationals. It's no coincidence the time Scotland did beat Wales was with Howley in charge who couldn't turn the average Scotland standard players into the international heavyweights Gatland created.

Hardly an insult. You had rugby's best coach with a good team and achieved great success. That's the dream no?
Completely fair.
We can agree to disagree on the Howley part.
I’ve gone back through the Scottish thread and it wasn’t you but it’s still an angle some are taking.
sturginho

Post by sturginho »

15 Jayden HAYWARD (Benetton Rugby, 25 caps)
14 Mattia BELLINI (Zebre Rugby Club, 24 caps)
13 Luca MORISI (Benetton Rugby, 31 caps)*
12 Carlo CANNA (Zebre Rugby Club, 41 caps)
11 Matteo MINOZZI (Wasps Rugby, 17 caps)*
10 Tommaso ALLAN (Benetton Rugby, 56 caps)
9 Callum BRALEY (Gloucester Rugby, 7 caps)
8 Abraham STEYN (Benetton Rugby, 38 caps)
7 Sebastian NEGRI (Benetton Rugby, 24 caps)
6 Jake POLLEDRI (Gloucester Rugby, 15 caps)
5 Niccolò CANNONE (Argos Petrarca Rugby/Benetton Rugby,2 caps)*
4 Alessandro ZANNI (Benetton Rugby, 118 caps)
3 Giosuè ZILOCCHI (Zebre Rugby Club, 4 caps)*
2 Luca BIGI (Zebre Rugby Club, 26 caps) – capitano
1 Andrea LOVOTTI (Zebre Rugby Club, 42 caps)*

A disposizione:
16 Federico ZANI (Benetton Rugby 15 caps)
17 Danilo FISCHETTI (Zebre Rugby Club, 2 caps)*
18 Marco RICCIONI (Benetton Rugby, 9 caps)*
19 Marco LAZZARONI (Benetton Rugby)
120 Dean BUDD (Benetton Rugby, 28 caps)
21 Giovanni LICATA (Zebre Rugby Club, 10 caps)*
22 Guglielmo PALAZZANI (Zebre Rugby Club, 38 caps)
23 Giulio BISEGNI (Zebre Rugby Club, 15 caps)
sturginho

Post by sturginho »

dargotronV.1 wrote:Hope your team this weekend are as poor as your match thread.
Better?
slick

Post by slick »

sturginho wrote:
Better?
Bravo.

By this time I'm usually in full "we can beat anyone" mode. Not feeling it today. Worried.
Steamin Beamin

Post by Steamin Beamin »

sturginho wrote:
Better?
Where's the burds?

Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Italia

Scotland

Last edited by Rugby2023 on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

sturginho wrote:
Is he getting a capped 6N farewell at some point then, no?
sturginho

Post by sturginho »

Rugby2023 wrote:
sturginho wrote:
Is he getting a capped 6N farewell at some point then, no?
Presumably against England
backrow

Post by backrow »

Rugby2023 wrote:Italia

Scotland

Italian one is nice :thumbup:

suspect i can't see the scots one on my work laptop because the web address has 'faploads' in it :uhoh:
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

lol updated now^
Doc Rob wrote:I won’t be shedding too many tears if we lose this one TBH. Townsend has to go, and a whitewash would make his position untenable.
Stakes are high for the test future of both coaches, the loser might not well have one. As I understand it, Smith is on a trial period of sorts, and the last two tests away to Ireland and home v England will be tough.