Wallabies 2020 thread

All things Rugby
towny

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:25 am
Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:56 am Actually JOC might be a great shout- he's likely to play for the next 3 years, even if that's not at 10. He seems to be a genuine leader now, and yeah hes into some weird mindfulness, but just think about the redemption ark and press coverage :shock: :lol:
What do you mean? Like meditation and yoga and shit?

I don't think it's weird, I hear it's really good from multiple people I respect and has solid science backing it. I keep meaning to start a regular practice but I'm lazy.

If Hooper doesn't want it, JOC or Toomua are most likely candidates I'd guess. But now that I've floated it, I want to see a Tupou bolter from out of nowhere. Chance of that happening is close to zero, but it would be awesome and amusing.
JOC is into weird, weird stuff..... 😳
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:17 am
Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:56 am Actually JOC might be a great shout- he's likely to play for the next 3 years, even if that's not at 10. He seems to be a genuine leader now, and yeah hes into some weird mindfulness, but just think about the redemption ark and press coverage :shock: :lol:

I don't think it's weird, I hear it's really good from multiple people I respect and has solid science backing it. I keep meaning to start a regular practice but I'm lazy.

If Hooper doesn't want it, JOC or Toomua are most likely candidates I'd guess. But now that I've floated it, I want to see a Tupou bolter from out of nowhere. Chance of that happening is close to zero, but it would be awesome and amusing.
Like what are you talking about? What weird stuff?
towny

Post by towny »

Easy decision to keep Hooper at captain. But it’s going to end up painful when he’s dropped next year. He’s playing in Japan so won’t have an off-season. McReight or Wright will be the captain next year. Do we have 3 captains in 3 years or 2?

Hooper is not a great captain anyway. Candidates for the job?
- Hooper
- DHP
- Toomua
- Wright
- McReight
- Toomua
- AAA
- JOC
- White

Anyone else?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

He's into a group called www.saviourworld.com.

You can judge it for yourself. I've heard mixed things. As I understand it, most of it is sensible mindfulness type stuff, but there is some weirdness mixed in.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:19 am

https://www.saviourworld.com/
towny

Post by towny »

Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:25 am

You can judge it for yourself. I've heard mixed things. As I understand it, most of it is sensible mindfulness type stuff, but there is some weirdness mixed in.
Works for him. Seems way better than the god crap that half the players are in to.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

towny wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:27 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:19 am

https://www.saviourworld.com/
Sweet baby jesus, tell me this is not your new commercial venture.
towny

Post by towny »

Mate, if he guides us to the Bledisloe, the PM should make it mandatory for the whole country.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

towny wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:16 am
Ellafan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:00 am KB got a red for a high shot in the T14, so I'm guessing he'll get a few weeks off.

That tends to negate any chance of him being picked in the RC squad if match fitness is required.

Video- https://www.theroar.com.au/rugby-union/ ... e-1092741/
There was no chance he was going to get a call.
Yeah, nah, maybe. Rennie is on record saying he doesn't want to "pluck players from France" - unless they are 2R's named Arnold and Skelton.
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:29 am
Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:25 am

Works for him. Seems way better than the god crap that half the players are in to.
Seems kind of childish and heavily marketed but at the same time better than all the sky fairy shit some of the other blokes are into.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

JOC and Toomua, I guess that is the state of Wallaby Rugby. Hardly world class.
shanky

Post by shanky »

The Optimist wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 pm JOC and Toomua, I guess that is the state of Wallaby Rugby. Hardly world class.
I’ll be happy to disagree with you on that.

My definition of ‘world class’ is that they’d be in the mix for selection in any other nation.

I think that is definitely true for JOC and probably true for Toomua
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

shanky wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:50 pm
The Optimist wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 pm JOC and Toomua, I guess that is the state of Wallaby Rugby. Hardly world class.
I’ll be happy to disagree with you on that.

My definition of ‘world class’ is that they’d be in the mix for selection in any other nation.

I think that is definitely true for JOC and probably true for Toomua
FYI, Toomua is head unionist now - you might want to downgrade him.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Agreed. Burn him!
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I'll always remember Toomua as the guy that admitted he was 'more country road than country' when he turned out for QLD Country in the NRC.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:22 pm I'll always remember Toomua as the guy that admitted he was 'more country road than country' when he turned out for QLD Country in the NRC.
Cancel him!
Mog The Almighty

Ellafan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:00 am KB got a red for a high shot in the T14, so I'm guessing he'll get a few weeks off.

That tends to negate any chance of him being picked in the RC squad if match fitness is required.

As I said before, I expect Rennie to go for two locks. I can't imagine why he'd select any other position, especially a back (and especially a veteran back), from overseas apart from possibly a hooker that can throw straight. But we have Fainga'a already who can fill that gap to some extent.

LSL and Phillip look like the picks, with Hannigan as a backup on the bench covering 6 in a pinch as well. That's not a horrible situation, they're all good players, but the best pure lock, that's Phillip by this season's form, is off overseas and I can't think of any other position that's so important and so lacking.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:48 am

As I said before, I expect Rennie to go for two locks. I can't imagine why he'd select any other position, especially a back (and especially a veteran back), from overseas apart from possibly a hooker that can throw straight. But we have Fainga'a already who can fill that gap to some extent.

LSL and Phillip look like the picks, with Hannigan as a backup on the bench covering 6 in a pinch as well. That's not a horrible situation, they're all good players, but the best pure lock, that's Phillip by this season's form, is off overseas and I can't think of any other position that's so important and so lacking.
KB is full Giteau qualified. So he isn't in the way of the two locks. He has been playing very well overseas. His all round game has improved with age, and used well by a canny coach off the bench, he is still a weapon. To borrow a townsism...

"Do you actually watch rugby?"
Mog The Almighty

Ellafan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:25 am

KB is full Giteau qualified. So he isn't in the way of the two locks. He has been playing very well overseas. His all round game has improved with age, and used well by a canny coach off the bench, he is still a weapon. To borrow a townsism...

"Do you actually watch rugby?"
Ha!

I'm a big fan of KB and hadn't realized he was "full Giteau qualified". I'd be happy to have him in the side somewhere if it were a possibility. Probably just not at the expense of a lock, but if that's not an issue...
Olo

Post by Olo »

KB? He represents everything that was bad about the Cheika area. He was retained through thick and thin. In the centres his defence was not up to scratch and he often kicked the pill away as a first instinctual reaction.
At full back he was suspect under the high ball and once again his option taking was very unstable.
He has been a good servant for Australian rugby but his last couple of seasons have been based on past deeds.
There is no way that Kurtley will be required unless we find ourselves under a massive injury toll. Doubtful even then, bless his heart.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

He's played about 90 tests and a decade of super rugby here. More than Giteau did before they wrote the rule.
Mog The Almighty

Olo wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:36 am KB? He represents everything that was bad about the Cheika area. He was retained through thick and thin. In the centres his defence was not up to scratch and he often kicked the pill away as a first instinctual reaction.
At full back he was suspect under the high ball and once again his option taking was very unstable.
He has been a good servant for Australian rugby but his last couple of seasons have been based on past deeds.
There is no way that Kurtley will be required unless we find ourselves under a massive injury toll. Doubtful even then, bless his heart.
I think he's a lot better than you're giving him credit for.

R.e. players wasting possession with nothing kicks, that is entirely coach-able. They're playing to a game-plan out there, not just running around winging it. All that requires is the coach to say, "no kicking away possession unless in X-circumstances" and enforcing that in training. I expect Cheiks was more about encouraging players to "go for it" and "feel the game", "back yourself" or something like that rather than a strict game day plan.
shanky

Post by shanky »

LSL and Phillip are both ostensibly tighthead locks. Philip can call the lineout but I don’t see it as his specialty.
I think IMO Rennie will go for some balance. Only one can start. Hanigan to the bench as 4/5/6 cover.
Last edited by shanky on Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olo

Post by Olo »

That probably is hard on him. He was a genius at schoolboy level and has had his moments at test level. You would have to say that he was unable to ever fulfil his early potential, which was pretty lofty.

As said, a great servant over the course of his test career but very unlikely to be required in this new era.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Olo wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:50 am That probably is hard on him. He was a genius at schoolboy level and has had his moments at test level. You would have to say that he was unable to ever fulfil his early potential, which was pretty lofty.

As said, a great servant over the course of his test career but very unlikely to be required in this new era.
It has been an absolute pleasure to watch KB. He’s an ornament to the game and a proud role model.

I think his time has passed, but thanks KB, it’s been a blast.

We’ll always have Bloemfontein. :thumbup:
Mog The Almighty

shanky wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:49 am

LSL and Phillip are both ostensibly tighthead locks. Philip can call the lineout but I don’t see it as his specialty.
I think IMO Rennie will go for some balance. Only one can start. Hanigan to the bench as 4/5/6 cover.
As far as I ever understood it, that's mostly about relative height between the two locks. If they're both the same it doesn't make a difference. On paper, there's 1cm of difference between them, and regardless even there were not, you just get the shorter bloke on the other side. As with right/left wingers, yes there's a tiny difference, but I don't think we need to worry about selecting a specialist "right lock" and "left lock".
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

shanky wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:55 am
Olo wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:50 am That probably is hard on him. He was a genius at schoolboy level and has had his moments at test level. You would have to say that he was unable to ever fulfil his early potential, which was pretty lofty.

It has been an absolute pleasure to watch KB. He’s an ornament to the game and a proud role model.

I think his time has passed, but thanks KB, it’s been a blast.

We’ll always have Bloemfontein. :thumbup:
And we'll always have Paris, after which Toulouse purchased most of the Wobbly back line that put 50 or 60 on the Frogs that day (most of it in the second half, IIRC). Cooper, JOC.Mitchell... can't remember if KB was playing.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:01 pm
shanky wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:49 am

As far as I ever understood it, that's mostly about relative height between the two locks. If they're both the same it doesn't make a difference. On paper, there's 1cm of difference between them, and regardless even there were not, you just get the shorter bloke on the other side. As with right/left wingers, yes there's a tiny difference, but I don't think we need to worry about selecting a specialist "right lock" and "left lock".
So, its like tight and loose props then?

Mog The Almighty

Yes, very funny. :P
shanky

Post by shanky »

You want your strongest lock behind the the tighthead

Usually (and also) for balance you need a tight, grinding, rough-stuff lock and a lighter, lineout-captain lock.

Brad Thorn is a classic ‘tighthead lock’

The best example of this ‘balanced’ second row was Bakkies and Matfield

Eales and Griffin

I’d also say Retallick and Whitelock, except that Retallick could do it all.
Mog The Almighty

shanky wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:20 pm You want your strongest lock behind the the tighthead

Usually (and also) for balance you need a tight, grinding, rough-stuff lock and a lighter, lineout-captain lock.

Brad Thorn is a classic ‘tighthead lock’

The best example of this ‘balanced’ second row was Bakkies and Matfield

Eales and Griffin

I’d also say Retallick and Whitelock, except that Retallick could do it all.
I wouldn't have a clue. The only time I've heard it mentioned is when we got a scrum specialist at training once and he put the locks on different sides depending on height because of how the props bind differently to the hooker which made it a bit uneven. Tighthead with square shoulder popped out and loosehead with shoulder tucked in order to pressure the opposing tighthead in tandem with the hooker. I can't really remember now it was 10 years ago.

I would expect at a professional level it would be dependent on that team's particular scrum. I dunno, I've never heard left/right lock being an actual selection issue. Just select the best two locks and work out the details from there I would suspect.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Well, it’s up to you whether you believe me... but it is an actual thing

You need to shore up the TH prop. The LH prop doesn’t need that usually because they can operate in a wider range of movement

You need an ‘enforcer’ and you need someone who can win a lineout for you. Some of the best lineout operators are built like greyhounds.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:06 pm Yes, very funny. :P
It was, TBF.
Mog The Almighty

shanky wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:33 pm Well, it’s up to you whether you believe me... but it is an actual thing

You need to shore up the TH prop. The LH prop doesn’t need that usually because they can operate in a wider range of movement

You need an ‘enforcer’ and you need someone who can win a lineout for you. Some of the best lineout operators are built like greyhounds.
I believe you mate, I wouldn't know. I was just relating my own personal experience. But I do still think the exact scrum strategy and those kind of scrum details are probably - not definitely - a secondary concern to just selecting the two best locks you have. But f-cked if I know, I'm not an international selector.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Fair enough. But common sense would support the notion that if you want balance, you select for that

I’m not sure anyone would simply pick the best tjree backrowers and see how you go?

You’d have Gill/Hooper/Pocock

No different in other aspects of the game.

Incidentay, and by way of anecdote. Thorn’s prowess was renowned. When he moved to Ireland(?) for a few seasons, the TH prop there said he was amazing, ‘like having another TH prop up your arse’.

So, it’s a thing...
Mog The Almighty

shanky wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:42 pm Fair enough. But common sense would support the notion that if you want balance, you select for that

I’m not sure anyone would simply pick the best tjree backrowers and see how you go?

You’d have Gill/Hooper/Pocock

No different in other aspects of the game.

Incidentay, and by way of anecdote. Thorn’s prowess was renowned. When he moved to Ireland(?) for a few seasons, the TH prop there said he was amazing, ‘like having another TH prop up your arse’.

So, it’s a thing...
I'm absolutely sure that it's a thing.

But I don't think the left/right lock are as different positions as the three back row spots are.
shanky

Post by shanky »

As you like it.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

So what do we think of Geoff Parling as the wobbly forwards coach?

He should know a bit about lineouts.
Mog The Almighty

Ellafan wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:39 am So what do we think of Geoff Parling as the wobbly forwards coach?

He should know a bit about lineouts.
Who knows? Don't know him from a bar of soap. Being a good player doesn't necessarily mean a good coach but he will probably be fine.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Tele reporting that:

Arnold is on the plane.
Latu may be on the plane, Skelton fat again.
Kurindrani off to the force
Naiasarani off to fat camp, may still feature