Wallabies 2020 thread

All things Rugby
Bindi

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Bindi »

I hope that isn’t right. Paisami isn’t up to it (yet).
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

The three Reds rookies in Rennie's first Wallabies team
By Sam Phillips and Tom Decent
October 8, 2020 — 3.02pm

Wallabies coach Dave Rennie will throw uncapped Queensland Reds trio Harry Wilson, Filipo Daugunu and Hunter Paisami straight into the Bledisloe Cup furnace.

The Herald can reveal the trio are set to start against the All Blacks in Wellington on Sunday as a reward for their superb Super Rugby AU seasons.

And star Brumbies prospect Noah Lolesio may well join the three run-on debutants, having been named on the bench.

Wilson, 20, was the standout No.8 in Australia during the domestic season. His metre-eating carries and incredibly skilful offload game were one of the focal points of Reds coach Brad Thorn's attack.

Daugunu has been the Reds' highlight machine for the past few years.

The Fijian flyer - who gave up his dreams of becoming Fijian soccer's top goalkeeper just five years ago - brings a similar level of finishing ability to the fold as fellow Fijian Marika Koroibete, who will start on the other wing.

But he is also capable of some absurd playmaking - all while running at top speed - in open play.

Paisami is the unknown quantity of the trio. The 22-year-old was sleeping in his agent's office every night less than 18 months ago, having been dumped by the Melbourne Rebels.

The Reds handed him a lifeline and he burst onto the scene this year while Jordan Petaia nursed injuries.

His explosive carries and big hits in defence will prove invaluable outside Rennie's two-playmaker, 10-12 combination.

Paisami's inclusion in Rennie's starting XV has in part come about due to the absence of Petaia. The Wallabies have insisted for weeks the star centre would be available but sources told the Herald he had not spent enough time on the training paddock to be considered for selection.

Wallabies defence coach Matt Taylor flagged the absence of Petaia on Wednesday.

"Sometimes that is to do with training times and combinations and time on ground and things like that," Taylor said.

Lolesio was considered a chance of beating James O'Connor to the prized No.10 jersey but Rennie opted to ease the 20-year-old into the Test arena.

"There are a lot of players who are here who have put their hands up in terms of selection," Taylor said. "It’s good that is the case because whenever you select a squad, you want guys putting their hand up.

"I certainly think that most of the squad have put themselves in a position to be selected and we’ve just got to work on the best team that we think has the ability to win this Test match.

"There might be a few surprises in terms of what people think but probably not surprises to us in terms of how they’ve operated or performed in the environment."
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Bindi wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:01 am I hope that isn’t right. Paisami isn’t up to it (yet).
Agreed. Seems like a bit of a loose pick.

But we'll see ... any other news on what the forwards are yet, apart from Wilson & Valetini? That's the important part that's going to win or lose games.
Mog The Almighty

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:08 am Noah Lolesio may well join the three run-on debutants, having been named on the bench.
Nice, don't mind that at all. In fact, that and Wilson are the two picks I've got right so far.
Olo

Post by Olo »

It will be a shame if Petaia is not fit. We have seen him in various clips of them training.
There’s no chance of Rennie releasing a few names just to juice up the press. They must have been watching and are making assumptions.

Paisami is a tough bugger, even if only 22. He has test footy written all over him.
Mog The Almighty

Olo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:25 am It will be a shame if Petaia is not fit. We have seen him in various clips of them training.
There’s no chance of Rennie releasing a few names just to juice up the press. They must have been watching and are making assumptions.

Paisami is a tough bugger, even if only 22. He has test footy written all over him.
I think JP is the most over-rated player among Aussie PR posters. Now don't read me wrong here, he's very very good and an obvious natural talent. But in my eyes he hasn't done anything that warrants nailing that jersey to his locker door just yet. He has the potential for sure, it just hasn't happened yet.

He's also got to do some stretching or focus on recovery more or something because he seems to break very easily, which is a worry for such a young guy. At his age he should be made of rubber.

Paisami will go okay. He's hard and strong and abrasive, I have no problem with those qualities in a back. Good. But it's the forwards that I really want news on...
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:12 am
Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:08 am Noah Lolesio may well join the three run-on debutants, having been named on the bench.
Nice, don't mind that at all. In fact, that and Wilson are the two picks I've got right so far.
You got a few more right:

Wallabies' starting XV: James Slipper, Folau Fainga'a, Taniela Tupou, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Matt Philip, Pete Samu, Michael Hooper, Harry Wilson, Nic White, James O'Connor, Marika Koroibete, Matt To'omua, Hunter Paisami, Filipo Daugunu, Tom Banks.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Blacks will throw it to the centre’s and run at Paisami all night. With Daugunu outside of him that wide channel will leak points.
towny

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:40 am Blacks will throw it to the centre’s and run at Paisami all night. With Daugunu outside of him that wide channel will leak points.
Let’s hope Matt Taylor earns his money.
Mog The Almighty

James Slipper starting is the biggest surprise there.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Some internet sleuth has worked out JOC is VC.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/com ... re_led_by/
kiap

Post by kiap »

Bindi wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:07 am Some internet sleuth has worked out JOC is VC.

The last amigo standing, eh.
mightyreds

Post by mightyreds »

I have been speechless since I saw the squad and found the omission of McDermott, the biggest selection blunder of RWC 2019, has been repeated. Nothing against White or Conroy, as I have always been a fan of those players, but '...side to be chosen on form - really?' He was so far ahead of the other two that the only issue was who would share the 9 role with him.

There are a lot of good players in the team and they could do well, but the need for a reality check in this position has just left me able to think about anything else.
Mog The Almighty

mightyreds wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:52 am I have been speechless since I saw the squad and found the omission of McDermott, the biggest selection blunder of RWC 2019
Nonsense. His passing and kicking is sub-par for a half back and he is inexperienced to boot. Cool yourself. Eye-catching runs are great, but doesn't cut the mustard in a position where core skills are so crucial.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I mean, its pretty clear McDermot has the worst pass of the 4 halfbacks in the squad. He's not Phipps bad, but it's not his strongest feature. Don't get me wrong, he's 100% the future of the position, he'll get a start soon.

Rennie has started with consistency and experience in the halves. We've already got 3 debutants, and have another on the bench. Seems strange to want to throw your toys out of the pram because he wasn't picked.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:03 am
mightyreds wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:52 am I have been speechless since I saw the squad and found the omission of McDermott, the biggest selection blunder of RWC 2019
Nonsense. His passing and kicking is sub-par for a half back and he is inexperienced to boot. Cool yourself. Eye-catching runs are great, but doesn't cut the mustard in a position where core skills are so crucial.
His kicking being subpar - in this thread, can you show me an example of where you’ve previously said this?
Olo

Post by Olo »

kiap wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:37 am
Bindi wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:07 am Some internet sleuth has worked out JOC is VC.

The last amigo standing, eh.
Yep. Who would of thought it? This could be his making.
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:40 am
His kicking being subpar - in this thread, can you show me an example of where you’ve previously said this?
Do you mean his passing? I haven't said anything about his kicking before in this thread, I've only mentioned his passing isn't up to snuff.

The kicking thing is the reason Rennie himself gave, I took it straight from the horses mouth. If you want to argue about it, take it up with the Wallaby coach. Personally, I'm willing to accept he knows a thing or two .
Mog The Almighty

Zakar wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:02 am I mean, its pretty clear McDermot has the worst pass of the 4 halfbacks in the squad. He's not Phipps bad, but it's not his strongest feature. Don't get me wrong, he's 100% the future of the position, he'll get a start soon.

Rennie has started with consistency and experience in the halves. We've already got 3 debutants, and have another on the bench. Seems strange to want to throw your toys out of the pram because he wasn't picked.
I didn't think Phipps had a bad pass. He had other problems though. Apart from that I generally agree, although I prefer Gordon personally, Tate is only 22, so I agree he is the future at scrumhalf. I think Gordon is better, less flashy but also less of a liability, and he's still got another 5-6 or more years left in him. But even if he makes it that far, by that time Tate will be the same age as Gordon is now, so yeah, Tate is the long-term future.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Phipps had a terrible pass. GAGR did some analysis, ranking Phipps and Genia for good, average and poor passes. They found he had as many or more good passes but far more poor passes. Phipps was more erratic.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:21 pm
Do you mean his passing? I haven't said anything about his kicking before in this thread, I've only mentioned his passing isn't up to snuff.

The kicking thing is the reason Rennie himself gave, I took it straight from the horses mouth. If you want to argue about it, take it up with the Wallaby coach. Personally, I'm willing to accept he knows a thing or two .
I’ve got my eye on you.
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:46 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:21 pm

I’ve got my eye on you.
... okay ... :uhoh:
Mog The Almighty

Does anybody know what jerseys they are wearing? I don't remember there being any thread for the 2020 jerseys.

I'd like to see the aboriginal one become the official Wallaby jersey personally. Actually, I'd like just the old-school gold and moss green (not fluro green and canary yellow ffs!) one be the official jersey. But if they're going to change it every f-cking year for marketing reasons then they may as well honour the first Australians. Looks cooler as a bonus.

I'm pumped. :twisted:
towny

Post by towny »

mightyreds wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:52 am I have been speechless since I saw the squad and found the omission of McDermott, the biggest selection blunder of RWC 2019, has been repeated. Nothing against White or Conroy, as I have always been a fan of those players, but '...side to be chosen on form - really?' He was so far ahead of the other two that the only issue was who would share the 9 role with him.

There are a lot of good players in the team and they could do well, but the need for a reality check in this position has just left me able to think about anything else.
Take deep breaths. New coach with no agenda. Let’s give him a few games before we judge his competence.

He hasn’t gone with Powell - that shows he’s not completely nuts.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Who won?
Mog The Almighty

Clogs wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:39 am Who won?
It doesn't kick off for about 20 hours.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:47 am
It doesn't kick off for about 20 hours.
Ah, so it is a Sunday game. Whoops.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Rugby was the winner
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Farva wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:17 am
Rugby was the winner
As it is always.

Except when the sharks or boks lose, then it is cos of the cvnting ref. :x
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

towny wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:35 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:12 am
You got a few more right:

Wallabies' starting XV: James Slipper, Folau Fainga'a, Taniela Tupou, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Matt Philip, Pete Samu, Michael Hooper, Harry Wilson, Nic White, James O'Connor, Marika Koroibete, Matt To'omua, Hunter Paisami, Filipo Daugunu, Tom Banks.
I thought Rennie would pick White. Hopefully he chops off (metaphorically speaking) his right foot before the game.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Seems Wallabies No1 fan is talking about then again
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 563wd.html
shanky

Post by shanky »

What do we think of that performance?

I though FF was awful for most of it, then had some good touches. The scrum looked better with Uelese on the field

Samu was a bit quiet. The number of turnovers should have seen Valetini on earlier.

Paisami was good.

I think White had the most influence on the game and probably overplayed his hand on a couple of occasions.

Rennie’s gameplan went to custard a bit as we didn’t support the ball carrier that well.

I’d leave the team pretty much unchanged for Eden Park.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

White played very well in the second half. He just puts the ABs in freakout mode with his carries.

I'd be very happy with an unchanged team. Sort out the lineouts and we're good.
shanky

Post by shanky »

I’m open to the idea of starting AAA at LH.

Need him and Tupou on the field at the same time and Thor only playing 50-odd minutes is a waste

Slipper could make way for someone
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Harry Wilson has a bit of a gunt on him.
shanky

Post by shanky »

mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:55 am Harry Wilson has a bit of a gunt on him.
:lol:

Yeah, I noticed that.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

shanky wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:06 am
mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:55 am Harry Wilson has a bit of a gunt on him.
:lol:

Yeah, I noticed that.
He still looks a powerful unit. Good to see some new blood :thumbup:
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Surely there has to be someone better than Koroibete. You would think he would have learned a thing or 2 about rules at the ruck by now
grievous

Post by grievous »

shanky wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:31 am What do we think of that performance?

I though FF was awful for most of it, then had some good touches. The scrum looked better with Uelese on the field

Samu was a bit quiet. The number of turnovers should have seen Valetini on earlier.

Paisami was good.

I think White had the most influence on the game and probably overplayed his hand on a couple of occasions.

Rennie’s gameplan went to custard a bit as we didn’t support the ball carrier that well.

I’d leave the team pretty much unchanged for Eden Park.
Wallabies (1-15): James Slipper 6 thought he didn't have it but was mobile however needed more command of the front row, as long as he gets subbed at 55 Im OK with him back
Folau Fainga'a 2 Nah, hes not cut out for test rugby, not fit enough which is why he cant throw at this level hes gasping too hard and missed around the park hence the brainfart, cast him off
Taniela Tupou 7 Great physicality but died down a bit and his scrummaging suffered, he needs to balance the two with scrummaging first we here weak today
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto 7 Strong in the loose caught in line out when straight and was solid in defence.
Matt Philip 8 really leads from the front many carries and the temperament we need
Harry Wilson 7 Great debut, not sure Nes best on the side needs to start at 8 and run from there, defo a start of the future
Michael Hooper 8 Usual solid game from the front tackled way above his weight
Pete Samu 5 Im sorry, hes just not test material and not at 8, too small and was seen around the field at attack I wouldn't pick him again
Nic White 7 usual odd inaccuracy but he bothers the ABs and we need that
James O'Connor 7 Solid but needed his kicking needs to work int the role but pretty positive all round
Marika Koroibete 8 a monster usual top effort
Matt To'omua 7 played well but maybe should be kicking for goal
Hunter Paisami 6 physical and hurt a few ABs he needs time
Filipo Daugunu 9 wow what a debut hes a keeper
Tom Banks 7 hes getting better very solid under high ball

Bench: Jordan Uelese 5, Scott Sio 5, Allan Alaalatoa 6 Rob Simmons 3, Rob Valetini 4, Jake Gordon 5, Noah Lolesio, Reece Hodge 5 - 10 if he got that kick.
Overall too many of the old mistakes, maybe they need a game or two. If that was fixed earlier they would of won over a rusty ABs.
Dont fix and we will get the rebound in spades next week and lose bad.
Rennie has work to do.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Kahu wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:59 am Surely there has to be someone better than Koroibete. You would think he would have learned a thing or 2 about rules at the ruck by now
:lol: :lol:
I’d take him over both of your starting wingers every day