Wallabies 2020 thread

All things Rugby
Mog The Almighty

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

FairWeather_Aussie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:31 am As far as locks, you’d assume that Arnold and Skelton are Rennies 45 and 46. It’s pretty doubtful that their French clubs would free them. But if they did it would affect selection at both locks and back row. I don’t think Skelton jumps, so you would need two good line out jumpers in the back three if he was picked.
I'm pretty sure he jumps, just rarely. I'm pretty sure I remember him jumping for the Wallabies on the odd occassion. I don't see why he wouldn't, there's a lot of locks out there just under his weight. I think even Victor Matfield, one of the greatest line-out jumpers ever was pushing 120kg. You'd think the props can lift an extra five or six and get Skelton up there. He'd be a liability of a second rower if not.

But I dunno, I haven't seen him play for ages. I think you'd take Arnold and Rodda anyway.

edit: just saw he was reported at 140kg! Even though Wikipedia says 125kg. I dunno how big he is these days, regardless, in all the photos of him online he has his legs strapped up for jumping.
Olo

Post by Olo »

I think Rodda is a good call as he’s so young, accomplished and a very good chance of coming back and playing a big part for the Wallabies for the foreseeable future.
Skelton has been courted several times since going offshore and could not be swayed. I don’t think he really wants to return for less moola but more glory representing his country.
Arnold is good for a short term solution until the younger locks are more up to speed.
FairWeather_Aussie

Post by FairWeather_Aussie »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:28 am
FairWeather_Aussie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:31 am As far as locks, you’d assume that Arnold and Skelton are Rennies 45 and 46. It’s pretty doubtful that their French clubs would free them. But if they did it would affect selection at both locks and back row. I don’t think Skelton jumps, so you would need two good line out jumpers in the back three if he was picked.
I'm pretty sure he jumps, just rarely. I'm pretty sure I remember him jumping for the Wallabies on the odd occassion. I don't see why he wouldn't, there's a lot of locks out there just under his weight. I think even Victor Matfield, one of the greatest line-out jumpers ever was pushing 120kg. You'd think the props can lift an extra five or six and get Skelton up there. He'd be a liability of a second rower if not.

But I dunno, I haven't seen him play for ages. I think you'd take Arnold and Rodda anyway.

edit: just saw he was reported at 140kg! Even though Wikipedia says 125kg. I dunno how big he is these days, regardless, in all the photos of him online he has his legs strapped up for jumping.
I think almost everyone has occasionally been used as the line out target, even Hooper. But Skelton has acting as a lifter and not a target.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Olo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:35 am I think Rodda is a good call as he’s so young, accomplished and a very good chance of coming back and playing a big part for the Wallabies for the foreseeable future.
Skelton has been courted several times since going offshore and could not be swayed. I don’t think he really wants to return for less moola but more glory representing his country.
Arnold is good for a short term solution until the younger locks are more up to speed.
I think Rodda’s card is stamped.

We’ve got a new hard-nut all-rounder lock. His name is Matt Phillip. He’ll get his go this year.

Next year, I’m liking Blyth for that role. Feral bogan that he is... :thumbup:

Perhaps Hosea? They’re all raving about him but I frankly don’t think I’ve seen enough of him. Would be interested to hear other poster’s views.
Mog The Almighty

shanky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:55 pm
Olo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:35 am I think Rodda is a good call as he’s so young, accomplished and a very good chance of coming back and playing a big part for the Wallabies for the foreseeable future.
I think Rodda’s card is stamped.

We’ve got a new hard-nut all-rounder lock. His name is Matt Phillip. He’ll get his go this year.

Next year, I’m liking Blyth for that role. Feral bogan that he is... :thumbup:

Perhaps Hosea? They’re all raving about him but I frankly don’t think I’ve seen enough of him. Would be interested to hear other poster’s views.
Matt Philip has been good this year for sure. He's a very big man too. The problem with him is that he's going overseas. He'll probably be in the team this year anyway. Regardless, I do think we want more than two good, pure locks in the squad. Blyth looking good too. 6'8, 120kg and only 22. Geezus. His time will come.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Yes. Agree

He’ll start this year for sure. He’s been the best lock in the country by....a country mile

Next year is up for grabs.

Must be good for the young blokes

Unlike the Cheika-era, these guys actually believe they might get a shot, instead of just shrugging their shoulders and signing for Leicester*

*notable exception to the rule was wingers, where he tried 357 of them.

Awful, awful coach.
shanky

Post by shanky »

I should add...

Cheika is a good motivator as the Tahs and Leinster have found out, but his strengths (loyalty) are also his glaring weakness.

Seeing him in the back of the Roosters’ coaching box as one of their fleet of motivation/awareness/karma/zen_yoga assistant coaches was as degrading for him as it was IMO for lovers of our code.
towny

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:05 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:55 pm
Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:49 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:51 am
Zakar wrote: Do you want Valentini playing 70mins of lock if someone goes down?
He'd probably kill it. His natural style is already best suited to the second row. Maybe a little short for an International lock but in a pinch he'd be fine. Of course I am being hypothetical here. I don't actually expect to see that happen, just that if it did, I wouldn't be too worried.

I also don't mind the call to have Hodge at 13. JP is a great player too, but he hasn't lived up to his hype yet, despite certainly showing the promise to do so soon. I'd have JP starting if possible, but I'd also look to include Hodge on a wing or FB.
A nom jumping lock is like a non throwing Hooker.
I'm sure he is capable of jumping in a line-out. It's one of the secondary duties of a back-rower too, particularly the six, who is pretty much a half-lock anyway (traditionally at least).
Did you read my earlier posts?
The lineout is an actual thing. In the modern game, setpieces reduce the number of variables and allow for rehearsed moves

If they weren’t, we’d pick 15 dreamboat Harry Wilson or Valentini-Bots and turn the game into rollerball or NRL.

I have little problem with playing Valentini at lock ‘if required’ in a pinch, but ignoring the setpiece so you can pick your favourite fireman-calender isn’t something I endorse
:lol: :lol:

Good post. Except the bit about Valetini being able to play lock at test level. That’s retarded.
shanky

Post by shanky »

I’m being nice

I’m trying it...

You should try it too.

Come on, bring it in. Let’s hug...

Bro hug, let’s go....

towny

Post by towny »

FairWeather_Aussie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:39 am
Farva wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:20 am Why are you starting Slipper Olo? Slipper has been perhaps the worst LHP in Australia this season. Id go Sio.
Probably because Sio has been the worst LHP. I’m all for AAAAAAAA switching sides because we will get ruined otherwise.
Brumbies’ scrum was miles better whenever Sio was on.
towny

Post by towny »

Ellafan wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:12 am
Zakar wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:05 am
Farva wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:39 pm Petaia and Uelese now reported to be fit
Uelese was doing contact training today :shock:
Good, he starts in my team with FF to the bench and BPA relegated to the dirt trackers.
I agree with you!

😳
towny

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:07 pm I’m being nice

I’m trying it...

You should try it too.

Come on, bring it in. Let’s hug...

Bro hug, let’s go....

I thought I was being nice!!
shanky

Post by shanky »

See? How hard is that? 8)
shanky

Post by shanky »

Last edited by shanky on Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
towny

Post by towny »

One thing we don’t have to worry about anymore is cashed up Euro clubs throwing cash at our boys. From the looks of things, we might see Itoje, Farrell and the Vunipolas playing for food money at the Force. UK clubs are chasing a govt bail out to fund their comp.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Yes. It’s like it’s back to the future

Remember when we won a world cup with <ahem> amateurs?

Them were the days... :thumbup:

Mercenaries fcked off to league immediately, so we never had to worry about ‘competing’ for them

Simple times...Good times, dare I say?
towny

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:20 pm Yes. It’s like it’s back to the future

Remember when we won a world cup with <ahem> amateurs?

Them were the days... :thumbup:

Mercenaries fcked off to league immediately, so we never had to worry about ‘competing’ for them

Simple times...Good times, dare I say?
I would be devastated if rugby didn’t have million dollar player wages.... that was, if I was a player. As I’m not, i couldn’t give a fark. With the end of PayTV, the boom wages are over for most sports - I don’t see this as a bad thing at all.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Yup :thumbup:

‘Play for the jersey’

Damn, that’s got a ring to it!

:)
towny

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:24 pm Yup :thumbup:

‘Play for the jersey’

Damn, that’s got a ring to it!

:)
Amateurism is over and won’t come back. I think it’s good if blokes can make a living out of the game and don’t blame them for taking big money overseas. One of the big drivers of the wage difference is tax structures. I used to work for a company with lots of expats in Japan - our guys there paid hardly any tax. UK and France have loads of loopholes to avoid tax too. This is the real magnet for SH players.

Now these sports want a handout from the govts? Seems like they’ve had a rails ride the whole time.

I think what I’m trying to say is, give us back our tax dodging players Johnny Foreigner!
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:05 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:51 am
He'd probably kill it. His natural style is already best suited to the second row. Maybe a little short for an International lock but in a pinch he'd be fine. Of course I am being hypothetical here. I don't actually expect to see that happen, just that if it did, I wouldn't be too worried.

I also don't mind the call to have Hodge at 13. JP is a great player too, but he hasn't lived up to his hype yet, despite certainly showing the promise to do so soon. I'd have JP starting if possible, but I'd also look to include Hodge on a wing or FB.
I'm sure he is capable of jumping in a line-out. It's one of the secondary duties of a back-rower too, particularly the six, who is pretty much a half-lock anyway (traditionally at least).
The lineout is an actual thing. In the modern game, setpieces reduce the number of variables and allow for rehearsed moves

If they weren’t, we’d pick 15 dreamboat Harry Wilson or Valentini-Bots and turn the game into rollerball or NRL.

I have little problem with playing Valentini at lock ‘if required’ in a pinch, but ignoring the setpiece so you can pick your favourite fireman-calender isn’t something I endorse

Good post. Except the bit about Valetini being able to play lock at test level. That’s retarded.
No its not. Nobody is saying he should play there but he can fill that position in a pinch. He's been doing it for the brumbies already and his style is very well suited to that. He is basically an extra second rower already. I thought you played lock?

Its a moot point as he will probably not even make the team.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:24 pm

No its not. Nobody is saying he should play there but he can fill that position in a pinch. He's been doing it for the brumbies already and his style is very well suited to that. He is basically an extra second rower already. I thought you played lock?

I know I give you a lot of shit about not watching the games based on your posts, but seriously this is confirmation.... :lol:
towny

Post by towny »

Valetini is not a lock. Not close. Never will be. He’s closer to an 8. He’d be an awful lock. He’d be way worse than Kaino, who was an awful lock. He played there once - ABs lost their first game to Ireland in history.
Mog The Almighty

Slim 293 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:07 pm

I know I give you a lot of shit about not watching the games based on your posts, but seriously this is confirmation.... :lol:
You're the guy that laughed at me and said Tupou was the worst scrummaging prop in the country, right? Right. Well that puts that in perspective. Anyway, I'm sure you can write a letter to the Brumbies coaching staff who have had him slot into lock a couple of times this season alone and tell them what morons they are.
towny wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:08 pm Valetini is not a lock. Not close. Never will be. He’s closer to an 8. He’d be an awful lock. He’d be way worse than Kaino, who was an awful lock. He played there once - ABs lost their first game to Ireland in history.
I'm not saying he's a lock. I'm saying that if for some reason - injuries and cards or whatever - they had to rely on him to play there in a tight situation, then I'm sure it wouldn't be a disaster.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:55 pm
Slim 293 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:07 pm

You're the guy that laughed at me and said Tupou was the worst scrummaging prop in the country, right? Right. Well that puts that in perspective. Anyway, I'm sure you can write a letter to the Brumbies coaching staff who have had him slot into lock a couple of times this season alone and tell them what morons they are.
towny wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:08 pm Valetini is not a lock. Not close. Never will be. He’s closer to an 8. He’d be an awful lock. He’d be way worse than Kaino, who was an awful lock. He played there once - ABs lost their first game to Ireland in history.
I'm not saying he's a lock. I'm saying that if for some reason - injuries and cards or whatever - they had to rely on him to play there in a tight situation, then I'm sure it wouldn't be a disaster.
Cool. And Tate can have a crack at the wing and Toomua can play openside. Is this really what we are talking about? No worries.

As I was saying, we need a lock on the bench. Sluggy has farkin’ lost it.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Valentini has not started a single game at lock for the Brumbies.

I've watched every Brumbies game this season, and don't remember him packing more than one scrum in the row. When the Vikings in the NRC had a locking crisis last season a guy that was 190cm was preferred.

Can he fill in there at Super level for a scrum or so? Sure, if your second row reserve also got injured.
shanky

Post by shanky »

I’m going to back Mog against youse internet bullies

I thought he meant that Valentini would play there if, during the game, their were injuries.
I agreed when I said ‘in a pinch’

I took it to mean that he was quietly climbing down from his prior position of picking him in his XV

We all have to do it from time to time. Unless you’re Towny and you simply deny ever having claimed <dumb idea> in the first place

I should note that things are even more simple if you’re a Brumbies supporter. Just nominate 15 Brumbies, claim bias if they’re not picked, and therefore never have to face the consequences of your dodgy calls.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

shanky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:42 pm I’m going to back Mog against youse internet bullies

I thought he meant that Valentini would play there if, during the game, their were injuries.
I agreed when I said ‘in a pinch’

I took it to mean that he was quietly climbing down from his prior position of picking him in his XV

We all have to do it from time to time. Unless you’re Towny and you simply deny ever having claimed <dumb idea> in the first place

I should note that things are even more simple if you’re a Brumbies supporter. Just nominate 15 Brumbies, claim bias if they’re not picked, and therefore never have to face the consequences of your dodgy calls.
It's not Mog that wanted him as bench second row reserve...
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Rodda can get farked. He's one of only three players who turned their back on the sport in this country in its time of need so he could earn a little bit more coin.

He's done. I don't want him anywhere near a team I support. Same for the other 3 turncoats.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I've heard all three are signing for the Force, who are quietly putting together a decent team.

1. Robertson
2. That u20s Hooker & Ready
3. Some old bloke probably
4. Thrush
5. Wingey traitor manchild Rodda with Hocking on bench
6. Stowers
7. Ferris
8. Stander
9. Prior
10. Tiny traitor Lucas
11. some quick bloke idk
12. Godwin
13. Kurindrani
14. Ralston
15. Kearney
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

What competition are the Force playing in next year?
kiap

Post by kiap »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:43 pm What competition are the Force playing in next year?
Prolly Soop
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

kiap wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:00 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:43 pm What competition are the Force playing in next year?
Prolly Soop
Is that World Rugby or whatever Twiggy thing running (as with that fire power it would be way way to good).
shanky

Post by shanky »

Zakar wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:41 pm I've heard all three are signing for the Force, who are quietly putting together a decent team.

1. Robertson
2. That u20s Hooker & Ready
3. Some old bloke probably
4. Thrush
5. Wingey traitor manchild Rodda with Hocking on bench
6. Stowers
7. Ferris
8. Stander
9. Prior
10. Tiny traitor Lucas
11. some quick bloke idk
12. Godwin
13. Kurindrani
14. Ralston
15. Kearney
If that's true, how has that worked out for those three?

Go from first-picked at a major state to the bench at the Force where your only internet friend is Faithful Farva
kiap

Post by kiap »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:07 am
kiap wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:00 am
Prolly Soop
Is that World Rugby or whatever Twiggy thing running (as with that fire power it would be way way to good).
Not sure I can parse that, but I assume it's not a question. The roster at the Force will be getting paid next year which is an underrated thing these days.

Let's just say rugby now exists in straitened times.
kiap

Post by kiap »

shanky wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 am If that's true, how has that worked out for those three?

Go from first-picked at a major state to the bench at the Force where your only internet friend is Faithful Farva
I believe Faithful "How's yer" Farva is a Filipino-Melburnian these days ...
shanky

Post by shanky »

Yes, but he's staunch

and staunch is a good thing. :thumbup:
Olo

Post by Olo »

Thomas wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:09 pm Rodda can get farked. He's one of only three players who turned their back on the sport in this country in its time of need so he could earn a little bit more coin.

He's done. I don't want him anywhere near a team I support. Same for the other 3 turncoats.
You probably have the inside skinny on that situation. It looked from the outside that Rodda got a bad deal as soon as BT arrived. The dye was cast long before CV and that was just his opportunity to jump ship. He may not be at the top of the tree character wise but he is an excellent young test standard second rower. He may not be welcome back in Queensland but it would be good for Oz rugby to have him playing here in Australia
kiap

Post by kiap »

shanky wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:38 am Yes, but he's staunch

I prefer stalwart.

Anyway, I hear our man Gus will be the neutral referee on the Bledisloe tour. Howzat.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Rodda can't be picked by Rennie any time soon. Wouldn't be allowed to, surely.

I imagine that the Hammer has drawn a line through his name for at least a couple of years
shanky

Post by shanky »

kiap wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:47 am
shanky wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:38 am Yes, but he's staunch

I prefer stalwart.

Anyway, I hear our man Gus will be the neutral referee on the Bledisloe tour. Howzat.
Lexicon Nazi