Wallabies 2020 thread

All things Rugby
towny

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:52 am Dawn of a new era.

if everyone can hold their nerve this squad should be RWC finalists 2027. Semis 2023 ~ a great 10 and more experience and depth by 2027.
Shut up.
towny

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:14 am All things considered, I reckon that's not a bad team

Certainly one of the most inspiring (on paper) teams we've had in a few years.

Look at that front row, ffs :thumbup:
Yeah. Maybe if they have some luck and try their very best they can even match the efforts of most of the other teams we’ve put on the field.

Right, Greg? That’s a shit name btw - parents that hate kids name their children ‘Greg’.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Does Cornelson know you feel this way?

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Do you guys reckon this team will be able to get within 10 of the All Blacks?

I sure hope so.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Thomas wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:04 am Do you guys reckon this team will be able to get within 10 of the All Blacks?

I sure hope so.
Are we shifting from 'unwarranted optimism' to 'humble claiming of the underdog high ground' ?
shanky

Post by shanky »

Thomas wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:04 am Do you guys reckon this team will be able to get within 10 of the All Blacks?

I sure hope so.
They're usually rusty on the first game of the year.

On the other hand, they'll be vengeful and angry like a God of Rugby - because their boss is a nong.

With any hope, we might get 'losing within 7' bonus point.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

shanky wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:21 am

I sure hope so.

On the other hand, they'll be vengeful and angry like a God of Rugby - because their boss is a nong.

I'd be happy with a plucky loss. Don't want to anger the bros.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Indeed. They're upset because we didn't sense they might be upset at something happening despite us not knowing that thing was happening, or that despite them saying they were OK with it maybe happening, they didn't mean it.

We failed that test...

It's a lot like everyday domestic life in that regard. Keep you head down for a while and let it blow over, right?
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

If JP can stay fit for more than 10 minutes, we stand a chance.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Let’s hope ‘first test under a new coach syndrome’ sets in to give us a result.
towny

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:33 am Indeed. They're upset because we didn't sense they might be upset at something happening despite us not knowing that thing was happening, or that despite them saying they were OK with it maybe happening, they didn't mean it.

We failed that test...

It's a lot like everyday domestic life in that regard. Keep you head down for a while and let it blow over, right?
I was going to write the same thing , word for word.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Olo wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:32 am Let’s hope ‘first test under a new coach syndrome’ sets in to give us a result.
Both sides are playing under new coaches.
Olo

Post by Olo »

CrazyIslander wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:11 am
Olo wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:32 am Let’s hope ‘first test under a new coach syndrome’ sets in to give us a result.
Both sides are playing under new coaches.
It seems to work for us as an anomaly. They generally always win irregardless of coach.
Olo

Post by Olo »

shanky wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:33 am Indeed. They're upset because we didn't sense they might be upset at something happening despite us not knowing that thing was happening, or that despite them saying they were OK with it maybe happening, they didn't mean it.

We failed that test...

They sound like my wife
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

towny wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:15 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:52 am Dawn of a new era.

if everyone can hold their nerve this squad should be RWC finalists 2027. Semis 2023 ~ a great 10 and more experience and depth by 2027.
Shut up.
Hold your nerve Towny...
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Zakar wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:29 am

I sure hope so.
Are we shifting from 'unwarranted optimism' to 'humble claiming of the underdog high ground' ?
We're clearly the underdogs. Anything is possible but I'm not expecting a win. I'd be happy with a gutsy and disciplined performance, a lack of chip kicking away possession for no good reason (looking at you White, JOC) and a display of solid fundamental skills and ball handling. If we do that we will be competitive by default but a win? Can always hope.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

shanky wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:21 am

I sure hope so.

People say that, but I can remember them beating ireland 700-6 in the opening game each year, while we lost to Samoa.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Olo wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:36 am

We failed that test...

They sound like my wife
They do.
towny

Post by towny »

In four days we get to Iearn some things:
- Is Nella the best THP on the planet?
- Can JP last 80 mins without breaking?
- Is JP the best or second centre on the planet?
- Is LSL good or really good?
- Can Wilson break the world record amount of runs per game AND not carry for a total of 20m because he refuses to run anywhere but directly at props (without stepping or jinking) for 80m?
- Does Rennie think Powell belongs on a test field?
- Will Ika be proven a genius with the selection of Valetini in the second row?
- Will NSW see their lowest ever contribution to a test team?
- Will Rennie elect to go for size or pace in his backrow?
- Is James Slipper’s test career over?
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:23 pm - Will Ika be proven a genius with the selection of Valetini in the second row?
:lol: Very funny. This is my team and it doesn't even have Valetini on the bench, although it's true I would laugh hard if he got selected and was forced to slot in at lock at some point during the series as he does for the Brumbies on occasion. It's not out of the question.

Props
Sio, Tupou
Back ups: AAA, HJH

Hookers
Fainga'a
Back ups: Uelese

Locks
Philip, LSL
Back ups: Hanigan, Simmons

Backrow
Hooper (c), Wilson, Wright (Samu)
Back ups: Samu, Hanigan

Scrumhalf
Gordon (White)
Back ups: McDermott

Flyhalf
JOC
Back ups: Toomua, Lolesio, Hodge

Centers
Toomua, JP
Back ups: Lolesio, Hodge, JOC

Wings
Koroibete, Ramm
Back ups: Hodge, McDermott

Fullback
Hodge (DHP)
Back ups: JOC

towny wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:23 pm - Is LSL good or really good?
Neither. LSL is average but I expect him to make the team because ... who else is there? LSL goes missing in big games (wait and see) and also runs way too up-right.

towny wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:23 pm - Can Wilson break the world record amount of runs per game AND not carry for a total of 20m because he refuses to run anywhere but directly at props (without stepping or jinking) for 80m?
Meters per run can be misleading , it depends how tight you're playing. If the guy is spending half the game sea-gulling then of course he will make more meters per run. All the meters per run leaders are wingers. What you want out of a confrontational Number Eight is not a fat winger sea-gulling all day, it is runs per game and meters per game and Wilson tops them both in Australian rugby for back-rowers. FWIW he's third in meters per run too, but that is less important for my 2c (he's also third in tackles behind Hooper and Wright).
towny

Post by towny »

LSL isn’t average Ika. Don’t die on that hill.
I like Wilson, but just think he could do more than run straight at the bloke in front of him.
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:03 pm LSL isn’t average Ika. Don’t die on that hill.
I like Wilson, but just think he could do more than run straight at the bloke in front of him.
I wish LSL would step up in a big game anyway. He can dominate Georgia or Italy but I'm not even sure if he played at the end of most All Blacks games. I'm sure he's capable of it.

Running at the bloke straight in front of you is underrated. :lol: Takes out a defender or three. He's taking a hit for the team, not trying to make glory runs. In fact, I wish more of these big guys would run at the guy straight in front of them instead of getting up a huge head of steam and then doing some stutter step before contact Palu style that takes all the oompfa out of the collision. Big dudes running straight at you, that shit wears defenders out. Think of it like a body shot in boxing. Not very spectacular but will pay dividends in the championship rounds.
Mog The Almighty

Damn that team has got to be announced any time soon. I don't think I've looked forwards to a Wallaby season to begin this much for a decade. Maybe it's coronavirus, maybe it's Rennie, maybe it's all the new promising players. Probably it's a mix of all of them but I'm chomping at the bit just to see the selections let alone the games.
Olo

Post by Olo »

That’s a bit unfair on Wilson. I seem to recall him on many occasions hitting gaps, offloading and then backing up again.
You might have confused him with Naisarani, who tends to seek out the defender rather than space.
Wilson is a genuine link man.

Yes, JP and Uelese need to prove themselves going without injury for a while.
Mog The Almighty

Olo wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:28 pm That’s a bit unfair on Wilson. I seem to recall him on many occasions hitting gaps, offloading and then backing up again.
You might have confused him with Naisarani, who tends to seek out the defender rather than space.

Dunno if I can agree with that my friend. I like Wilson, I think he's the future for the Wallabies at 8, no matter who Rennie selects for the first test, or the rest of the year. But I wouldn't call him a link-man. He's an old-school, abrasive, crash-ball eight, which is what I like personally. So is Naisarani. Samu is more of a dynamic link-man eight. I dunno, that's just my 2c. I'd look up the season stats but can't be bothered. I maybe wrong, it's happened on the odd rare occasion.

edit: obv. that largely depends on how the coach chooses to play them. If their game plan is "smash it up and knock over as many pins as you can", then they're not going to be a link man even if they could, and visa-versa. I think we all--me included--judge players too much as if they're all running around without a plan doing whatever they think is best in the moment. There's some of that of course, but statistics and style are heavily dependant on the team plan. Same applies for Valetini, I've critisied him for not being more destructive ball-in-hand, but maybe he's just doing exactly what the coach asked him to do.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:38 pm
towny wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:03 pm LSL isn’t average Ika. Don’t die on that hill.
I wish LSL would step up in a big game anyway. He can dominate Georgia or Italy but I'm not even sure if he played at the end of most All Blacks games. I'm sure he's capable of it.

Running at the bloke straight in front of you is underrated. :lol: Takes out a defender or three. He's taking a hit for the team, not trying to make glory runs. In fact, I wish more of these big guys would run at the guy straight in front of them instead of getting up a huge head of steam and then doing some stutter step before contact Palu style that takes all the oompfa out of the collision. Big dudes running straight at you, that shit wears defenders out. Think of it like a body shot in boxing. Not very spectacular but will pay dividends in the championship rounds.
Didn’t you see him smash the Brumbies’ pack? Chock full of Wallabies’ props that had eyes like dinner plates looking for him.

Tell me more about running straight without stepping. Once you’re done, we can talk about face and space. In attack, the objective of a runner should be to bend the line - not get smashed. Bend the line and you get faster, cleaner ball, because the defenders have to run back and around to get through the gate, while your support players just come straight through. Running straight at someone is dumb.

But, if you run straight at someone, and then step into the gap between him and the next defender, they can’t line you up as well with a shoulder. By pumping your legs, you can get a couple more metres - bending the line - and setting up fast, clean ball for the next phase. With luck, you might beat the defender and make a break or get hands free to offload to one of those support players.

Samu does this really well. All kiwis do this really well.

Running straight at people gets you slow ball, bugger all breaks and few offloads.

WTF do they coach you plums in Sweden?
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:00 pm

Didn’t you see him smash the Brumbies’ pack? Chock full of Wallabies’ props that had eyes like dinner plates looking for him.

Tell me more about running straight without stepping. Once you’re done, we can talk about face and space. In attack, the objective of a runner should be to bend the line - not get smashed. Bend the line and you get faster, cleaner ball, because the defenders have to run back and around to get through the gate, while your support players just come straight through. Running straight at someone is dumb.

But, if you run straight at someone, and then step into the gap between him and the next defender, they can’t line you up as well with a shoulder. By pumping your legs, you can get a couple more metres - bending the line - and setting up fast, clean ball for the next phase. With luck, you might beat the defender and make a break or get hands free to offload to one of those support players.

Running straight at people gets you slow ball, bugger all breaks and few offloads.

:lol: I know, I was just being silly and a bit of a Wilson fan-boy. You're right.
towny

Post by towny »

Olo wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:28 pm That’s a bit unfair on Wilson. I seem to recall him on many occasions hitting gaps, offloading and then backing up again.

Wilson can do it. My criticism is that he does too much running one out strait at dudes - he can do more I reckon. He’s got the game too.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:02 pm
towny wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:00 pm

:lol: I know, I was just being silly and a bit of a Wilson fan-boy. You're right.
Fark you!

LSL is a key player. Get on the bandwagon - soon everyone will be on it. 👍
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

LSL has some proving to do but he's ready. He'll fit Rennie's gameplan.

I am a very excited man, yes indeed.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:38 pm I wish LSL would step up in a big game anyway. He can dominate Georgia or Italy but I'm not even sure if he played at the end of most All Blacks games. I'm sure he's capable of it.

He played 80 mins in the last win against the All Blacks...
Olo

Post by Olo »

His body height has been an issue in the past. He is bigger and stronger now and hopefully wiser.
He and Phillip will work well. Simmons on the bench as back up and Hosea to enter the Frey against the Argies.
Mog The Almighty

Latest news is Wilson, Daugunu and Paisami are all starting. Valetini has been selected on the bench.

So my team is already way off. But I don't give that much of a fůck about backs other than the nine and ten. The forwards is where the game is won or lost.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:27 am Latest news is Wilson, Daugunu and Paisami are all starting. Valetini has been selected on the bench.
IN what position?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:27 am Latest news is Wilson, Daugunu and Paisami are all starting. Valetini has been selected on the bench.
Does that mean JP is still crocked? :?
Mog The Almighty

kiwigreg369 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:29 am
IN what position?
On the bench? I dunno. Third from the left?
Mog The Almighty

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:29 am
Apparently he's okay but wasn't able to spend enough time on the training field in combinations.
Mog The Almighty

Slim 293 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:54 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:38 pm I wish LSL would step up in a big game anyway. He can dominate Georgia or Italy but I'm not even sure if he played at the end of most All Blacks games. I'm sure he's capable of it.
He played 80 mins in the last win against the All Blacks...
Thats my point.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:32 am
Apparently he's okay but wasn't able to spend enough time on the training field in combinations.

So that article, reading between the lines, suggests a backline of

9. White ('a trio of reds debutants')
10. JOC ('lolesio will be eased in')
11. Dungunu
12. Toomua ('Rennie's dual playmaker 10-12)
13. Paisami
14. Korobiete
15. ???
Mog The Almighty

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:42 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:32 am

So that article, reading between the lines, suggests a backline of

9. White ('a trio of reds debutants')
10. JOC ('lolesio will be eased in')
11. Dungunu
12. Toomua ('Rennie's dual playmaker 10-12)
13. Paisami
14. Korobiete
15. ???
I'm not sure what article you're talking about it, I got that info in a text last night.

In any case, I'm happy with JOC and Toomua as 10, 12. I was worried he might go the other way for some weird reason.