Wallabies 2020 thread

All things Rugby
User avatar
kiap
Posts: 19756
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by kiap »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:03 pm And yet he still got selected in the Wallaby squad.
... in a 45-man squad as a utility player. IMO, he'll be carrying a tackle shield in the warm up for Auckland.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12010
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

kiap wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:18 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:03 pm And yet he still got selected in the Wallaby squad.
... in a 45-man squad as a utility player. IMO, he'll be carrying a tackle shield in the warm up for Auckland.
Most likely. :)
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12010
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Player ratings for the SMH. This guy is on drugs, or knows not much about rugby, or is a very harsh critic. Or a bit of all of the above.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 5642y.html
towny
Posts: 18391
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:29 pm Player ratings for the SMH. This guy is on drugs, or knows not much about rugby, or is a very harsh critic. Or a bit of all of the above.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 5642y.html
I don’t think that’s a bad effort. Way too hard on Hooper - he was everywhere.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 17146
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Farva »

Can someone cut and paste that, I cant get past the paywall.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19649
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by shanky »

Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:54 am Can someone cut and paste that, I cant get past the paywall.
clear your cache

all will be revealed...
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19649
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by shanky »

The Wallabies finished all square with the All Blacks after 89 thrilling minutes of Test rugby in Wellington.

Here's how each player fared in the 16-all draw.



1. James Slipper 6.5
Had a quiet game in general play but he was sorely missed at scrums after being replaced in the 60th minute.

Advertisement

2. Folau Fainga’a 4
Was the weak link. It’s often misguided to point the blame for a faulty lineout square at the hooker, but the Brumbies product produced three crooked throws in the first half alone. Those turnovers cost the Wallabies points. If the lineout was on song, the Wallabies win the match.


3. Taniela Tupou 7.5
Was clearly told pre-match to empty the tank in the first half as he was pulled in the 51st minute. It worked. He was enormous. The 24-year-old started the match with some huge defensive efforts that set the tone and put the All Blacks on the back foot. In attack, he was the best battering ram in close quarters. The scrum was very solid while he was on the park, too.

4. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto 6.5
The towering lock was – along with Tupou – one of Australia’s best ball-carriers. Finished with 11 carries and pushed the Kiwis back a few times in defence, but some of the lineout blame must fall on the locks.


5. Matt Philip 7
Had a surprising amount of carries (13) and picked up 36m with those touches. That’s more than any Wallabies forward. Only Ardie Savea had more metres in the All Blacks pack. He also had a crucial touch in the lead-up to Filipo Daugunu’s try. Must also shoulder some blame for the faulty lineout.

6. Harry Wilson 7.5
There’s a reason Dave Rennie did not hesitate in throwing Wilson head first into the Bledisloe Cup furnace. The 20-year-old is a superstar in the making. His carries often crashed over the gain line and his trademark offload game translated to Test level. He created a couple of chances for Filipo Daugunu and will only improve with more Test starts.

7. Michael Hooper 7
Produced an archetypal performance in his 100th Test. He earned a crucial breakdown penalty at the end of the first half and made more tackles than any of his teammates. The definition of an engine room player.

8. Pete Samu 6
It was a quiet afternoon for Samu with ball in hand – six carries, 22 metres – but only Hooper had more tackles.


9. Nic White 8
Has a habit of producing his best performances against the All Blacks. He looked a serious threat around the breakdown with his sniping runs and managed to slip out of six tackles – more than any other player on the field. Kicking game was solid and passing game on point.


10. James O’Connor 8
Dave Rennie couldn’t have had higher praise for his chief playmaker. O’Connor had to fight to earn his first start at flyhalf in seven years but he controlled the game with some astute kicking in general play. In attack, he created a constant threat when taking the All Blacks line on rather than shooting the ball out the back for second phase play. Kicked a clutch penalty to put the Australians in front with five to play, too.

11. Marika Koroibete 7
The John Eales Medallist had a quiet first half but wingers must simply make the most of their opportunities and that’s exactly what he did with a classy finish for the Wallabies’ first try of the afternoon.

12. Matt To’omua 6.5
Played his fair share of the match at first receiver and looked okay in those spots but he also produced a couple of poor kicks deep inside the All Blacks half. Aimed up in defence but did fall off three of his nine attempted tackles.

13. Hunter Paisami 7
Was picked on the basis of his power-packed running game and that translated to the Test arena. He busted two tackles from his nine carries, which were primarily crash balls off set piece, and did not look out of place in defence. That’s easier said than done on debut at outside centre, a position many coaches and experts rate the toughest to nail defensively at the highest level.

14. Filipo Daugunu 8.5
Was Australia’s best player. That’s a fair achievement on Test debut against the All Blacks on the other side of the Tasman. The Fijian flyer finished with 130 metres from his 15 touches – more than any other player on the field in both categories – and simply looked downright dangerous every time he touched the ball. Aimed up in defence when targeted by the Kiwis, too.

15. Tom Banks 7
Didn’t produce any of his trademark bursts into open space but his kicking game from the back was outstanding. He also produced a couple of brilliant touch finders from penalties that gave the Australians a lineout five out from the All Blacks line.

16. Jordan Uelese 6.5
Replaced Fainga'a in the 60th minute and the Wallabies lineout almost immediately improved. There has always been a query on the Rebels star’s scrummaging ability, and the way the scrum crumbled in the final 20 certainly didn’t help his cause, but Rennie will have to consider starting the Melbourne product on Sunday.

RELATED ARTICLE
Filipo Daugunu.
BLEDISLOE CUP
'We practised it': Rennie's regret as Wallabies spurn field goal attempt
Add to shortlist
17. Scott Sio 5
Came on for Slipper with 20 to play and the Wallabies scrum immediately started to falter under pressure.

18. Allan Alaalatoa 6
Played more minutes than any other bench player, replacing Tupou in the 51st minute. Had a few nice carries but he must also accept his fair share of the blame for the scrum falling apart.

19. Rob Simmons 5
Cleaned the Wallabies lineout up but he gave away the penalty that levelled the scores at 16-all. It was a brain snap from the veteran.

20. Rob Valetini - NA
Played only five minutes in his second Test. That’s not enough to make a call either way.

21. Jake Gordon - 6
The replacement halfback provided spark when he replaced White with eight to play. He did throw a couple of nervous, misplaced passes when he entered the fray but otherwise did a solid job.

22. Noah Lolesio - NA
Did not make his Test debut.

23. Reece Hodge - NA
Played only the final five minutes. His kick from 55 metres out after the final siren struck the post. If it had gone over, it would have been an all-time Bledisloe Cup moment.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 17146
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Farva »

Im not gushing over Nick White as much as everyone else. In the first half he was box kicking and it wasnt good box kicking. It was high and into the wind and in one instance, the ball nearly blew back over him. Luckily it worked out for us as we regathered and got some space from it, but it so easily could have gone the other way. He tried that most of the first half. I think he was spoken to at half time as it eased off then. Id have dropped him down to a 7.
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5806
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

Who is the scribe?

AAA was a beast when he came on. Sio immediately was under pressure and kept going down. Uelese and AAA were both staying up.
I reckon White was great. He gave the ABs all kind of trouble. I would say back him up with Tate this week.

Otherwise pretty fair
towny
Posts: 18391
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:32 am Im not gushing over Nick White as much as everyone else. In the first half he was box kicking and it wasnt good box kicking. It was high and into the wind and in one instance, the ball nearly blew back over him. Luckily it worked out for us as we regathered and got some space from it, but it so easily could have gone the other way. He tried that most of the first half. I think he was spoken to at half time as it eased off then. Id have dropped him down to a 7.
You didn’t like his box kicking, even though it proved a very effective way to gain territory and possession?
towny
Posts: 18391
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Olo wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:46 am Who is the scribe?

AAA was a beast when he came on. Sio immediately was under pressure and kept going down. Uelese and AAA were both staying up.
I reckon White was great. He gave the ABs all kind of trouble. I would say back him up with Tate this week.

Otherwise pretty fair
Agree on AAA. His ruck work is text book and he does it flat out.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 17146
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Farva »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:55 am
Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:32 am Im not gushing over Nick White as much as everyone else. In the first half he was box kicking and it wasnt good box kicking. It was high and into the wind and in one instance, the ball nearly blew back over him. Luckily it worked out for us as we regathered and got some space from it, but it so easily could have gone the other way. He tried that most of the first half. I think he was spoken to at half time as it eased off then. Id have dropped him down to a 7.
You didn’t like his box kicking, even though it proved a very effective way to gain territory and possession?
It was a terrible way to gain territory and possession. As I said in the match thread, when playing in windy conditions and running in to the wind, there needs to be low kicks, not high up and under box kicks.
In the second half it makes sense as the wind was behind us, meaning AB players were running back, making them flat footed and our players on the move, and the ball is gaining territory even if gathered by the opposition. When the wind is against us, the opposite is happening - our players are heading backwards, the ball is not gaining territory and we are flat footed.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19649
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by shanky »

shanky wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:24 am
Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:54 am Can someone cut and paste that, I cant get past the paywall.
clear your cache

all will be revealed...
Gee, thanks shanky

It’s nothing, don’t mention it Farv



You’re welcome, plum :x
towny
Posts: 18391
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:48 am
towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:55 am
Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:32 am Im not gushing over Nick White as much as everyone else. In the first half he was box kicking and it wasnt good box kicking. It was high and into the wind and in one instance, the ball nearly blew back over him. Luckily it worked out for us as we regathered and got some space from it, but it so easily could have gone the other way. He tried that most of the first half. I think he was spoken to at half time as it eased off then. Id have dropped him down to a 7.
You didn’t like his box kicking, even though it proved a very effective way to gain territory and possession?
It was a terrible way to gain territory and possession. As I said in the match thread, when playing in windy conditions and running in to the wind, there needs to be low kicks, not high up and under box kicks.
In the second half it makes sense as the wind was behind us, meaning AB players were running back, making them flat footed and our players on the move, and the ball is gaining territory even if gathered by the opposition. When the wind is against us, the opposite is happening - our players are heading backwards, the ball is not gaining territory and we are flat footed.
Did you see the game? It was the ABs in the first half spilling all the box kicks. The tactic worked great for Australia in the conditions.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12010
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

So? Selections for next week. I say keep them all except maybe Simmons. And that's just a maybe.

But what about Paisami vs Petaia? Again personally, I think it's on Paisami now has earned his place and Petaia will just have to wait for his opportunity. Team continuity, show a belief in your players, etc. Petaia's time will come. I also would not remove Hodge from the bench to make way for him. We all saw Hodge's potential to win games. F-ck, he should be used even more than that. He should be shooting at everything within range. Keep the scoreboard ticking and stop the opposition from giving away penalties in 60% of the field!

Petaia vs Paisami:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 564l6.html
User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 7148
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Bindi »

I would definitely bring Petaia in and drop Paisami to the bench, with Lolesio out. We have plenty of 10 cover.

Also Wright in + Tate to the bench (if the weather looks good)
towny
Posts: 18391
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 am So? Selections for next week. I say keep them all except maybe Simmons. And that's just a maybe.

But what about Paisami vs Petaia? Again personally, I think it's on Paisami now has earned his place and Petaia will just have to wait for his opportunity. Team continuity, show a belief in your players, etc. Petaia's time will come. I also would not remove Hodge from the bench to make way for him. We all saw Hodge's potential to win games. F-ck, he should be used even more than that. He should be shooting at everything within range. Keep the scoreboard ticking and stop the opposition from giving away penalties in 60% of the field!

Petaia vs Paisami:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 564l6.html
If it's a choice between those two, then Petaia wins every day of the week. It's like saying you'd take Nathan Grey over Tim Horan because Grey had a good game. fwiw, I reckon Paisami is better than Grey was and Petaia is better than Horan.

But is that really the choice? Why can't we put Petaia on the wing and let him develop a combo with Paisami? That's what I would do. I reckon the choice is out of Daugunu or Koroibete. Neither deserve to be dropped but someone has to make way for Rugby Jesus.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12010
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:46 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 am So? Selections for next week. I say keep them all except maybe Simmons. And that's just a maybe.

But what about Paisami vs Petaia? Again personally, I think it's on Paisami now has earned his place and Petaia will just have to wait for his opportunity. Team continuity, show a belief in your players, etc. Petaia's time will come. I also would not remove Hodge from the bench to make way for him. We all saw Hodge's potential to win games. F-ck, he should be used even more than that. He should be shooting at everything within range. Keep the scoreboard ticking and stop the opposition from giving away penalties in 60% of the field!

Petaia vs Paisami:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 564l6.html
If it's a choice between those two, then Petaia wins every day of the week. It's like saying you'd take Nathan Grey over Tim Horan because Grey had a good game. fwiw, I reckon Paisami is better than Grey was and Petaia is better than Horan.

But is that really the choice? Why can't we put Petaia on the wing and let him develop a combo with Paisami? That's what I would do. I reckon the choice is out of Daugunu or Koroibete. Neither deserve to be dropped but someone has to make way for Rugby Jesus.
I think team continuity and showing belief in your players, particularly after they've had a cracking game, are more important than dropping players to make room for one individual. I can see an argument for moving him to the bench, and subbing him on for Paisami and just let them both do their talking on the field.

But I dunno, we'll see what Rennie thinks.
towny
Posts: 18391
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:13 am
towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:46 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 am So? Selections for next week. I say keep them all except maybe Simmons. And that's just a maybe.

But what about Paisami vs Petaia? Again personally, I think it's on Paisami now has earned his place and Petaia will just have to wait for his opportunity. Team continuity, show a belief in your players, etc. Petaia's time will come. I also would not remove Hodge from the bench to make way for him. We all saw Hodge's potential to win games. F-ck, he should be used even more than that. He should be shooting at everything within range. Keep the scoreboard ticking and stop the opposition from giving away penalties in 60% of the field!

Petaia vs Paisami:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 564l6.html
If it's a choice between those two, then Petaia wins every day of the week. It's like saying you'd take Nathan Grey over Tim Horan because Grey had a good game. fwiw, I reckon Paisami is better than Grey was and Petaia is better than Horan.

But is that really the choice? Why can't we put Petaia on the wing and let him develop a combo with Paisami? That's what I would do. I reckon the choice is out of Daugunu or Koroibete. Neither deserve to be dropped but someone has to make way for Rugby Jesus.
I think team continuity and showing belief in your players, particularly after they've had a cracking game, are more important than dropping players to make room for one individual. I can see an argument for moving him to the bench, and subbing him on for Paisami and just let them both do their talking on the field.

But I dunno, we'll see what Rennie thinks.
How many games was Bradman 12th Man? Does LeBron James start from the bench after injury lay-offs?
Petaia isn't fractionally better than the alternatives - he's the best player on the park. Get him on the park.

I bet you that everyone in the team (except the poor bloke that misses out) will be very happy he's in the team.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12010
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:25 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:13 am
towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:46 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 am So? Selections for next week. I say keep them all except maybe Simmons. And that's just a maybe.

But what about Paisami vs Petaia? Again personally, I think it's on Paisami now has earned his place and Petaia will just have to wait for his opportunity. Team continuity, show a belief in your players, etc. Petaia's time will come. I also would not remove Hodge from the bench to make way for him. We all saw Hodge's potential to win games. F-ck, he should be used even more than that. He should be shooting at everything within range. Keep the scoreboard ticking and stop the opposition from giving away penalties in 60% of the field!

Petaia vs Paisami:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 564l6.html
If it's a choice between those two, then Petaia wins every day of the week. It's like saying you'd take Nathan Grey over Tim Horan because Grey had a good game. fwiw, I reckon Paisami is better than Grey was and Petaia is better than Horan.

But is that really the choice? Why can't we put Petaia on the wing and let him develop a combo with Paisami? That's what I would do. I reckon the choice is out of Daugunu or Koroibete. Neither deserve to be dropped but someone has to make way for Rugby Jesus.
I think team continuity and showing belief in your players, particularly after they've had a cracking game, are more important than dropping players to make room for one individual. I can see an argument for moving him to the bench, and subbing him on for Paisami and just let them both do their talking on the field.

But I dunno, we'll see what Rennie thinks.
How many games was Bradman 12th Man? Does LeBron James start from the bench after injury lay-offs?
Petaia isn't fractionally better than the alternatives - he's the best player on the park. Get him on the park.

I bet you that everyone in the team (except the poor bloke that misses out) will be very happy he's in the team.
Maybe you're right, but Petaia is not LeBron or Bradman. I actually think Tupou is the best player in the team.

For all the hype, so far Petaia has just looked like a very promising young player to me. I can't wait until he steps up to the fanfare. I'm not being sarcastic there either, I dunno. If he's really that good, let's see it. It would make me happy.
towny
Posts: 18391
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:39 pm
towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:25 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:13 am
towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:46 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 am So? Selections for next week. I say keep them all except maybe Simmons. And that's just a maybe.

But what about Paisami vs Petaia? Again personally, I think it's on Paisami now has earned his place and Petaia will just have to wait for his opportunity. Team continuity, show a belief in your players, etc. Petaia's time will come. I also would not remove Hodge from the bench to make way for him. We all saw Hodge's potential to win games. F-ck, he should be used even more than that. He should be shooting at everything within range. Keep the scoreboard ticking and stop the opposition from giving away penalties in 60% of the field!

Petaia vs Paisami:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 564l6.html
If it's a choice between those two, then Petaia wins every day of the week. It's like saying you'd take Nathan Grey over Tim Horan because Grey had a good game. fwiw, I reckon Paisami is better than Grey was and Petaia is better than Horan.

But is that really the choice? Why can't we put Petaia on the wing and let him develop a combo with Paisami? That's what I would do. I reckon the choice is out of Daugunu or Koroibete. Neither deserve to be dropped but someone has to make way for Rugby Jesus.
I think team continuity and showing belief in your players, particularly after they've had a cracking game, are more important than dropping players to make room for one individual. I can see an argument for moving him to the bench, and subbing him on for Paisami and just let them both do their talking on the field.

But I dunno, we'll see what Rennie thinks.
How many games was Bradman 12th Man? Does LeBron James start from the bench after injury lay-offs?
Petaia isn't fractionally better than the alternatives - he's the best player on the park. Get him on the park.

I bet you that everyone in the team (except the poor bloke that misses out) will be very happy he's in the team.
Maybe you're right, but Petaia is not LeBron or Bradman. I actually think Tupou is the best player in the team.

For all the hype, so far Petaia has just looked like a very promising young player to me. I can't wait until he steps up to the fanfare. I'm not being sarcastic there either, I dunno. If he's really that good, let's see it. It would make me happy.
No one loves Tupou more than me, but Petaia is the one.
Remember how you liked TK? Petaia is the reason TK isn’t in the 80 man Wallaby squad - Petaia targeted and bullied him. He physically dominates everyone he comes up against, but also has great feet and good hands. In other words - Rugby Jesus.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12010
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:52 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:39 pm
towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:25 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:13 am
towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:46 am

If it's a choice between those two, then Petaia wins every day of the week. It's like saying you'd take Nathan Grey over Tim Horan because Grey had a good game. fwiw, I reckon Paisami is better than Grey was and Petaia is better than Horan.

But is that really the choice? Why can't we put Petaia on the wing and let him develop a combo with Paisami? That's what I would do. I reckon the choice is out of Daugunu or Koroibete. Neither deserve to be dropped but someone has to make way for Rugby Jesus.
I think team continuity and showing belief in your players, particularly after they've had a cracking game, are more important than dropping players to make room for one individual. I can see an argument for moving him to the bench, and subbing him on for Paisami and just let them both do their talking on the field.

But I dunno, we'll see what Rennie thinks.
How many games was Bradman 12th Man? Does LeBron James start from the bench after injury lay-offs?
Petaia isn't fractionally better than the alternatives - he's the best player on the park. Get him on the park.

I bet you that everyone in the team (except the poor bloke that misses out) will be very happy he's in the team.
Maybe you're right, but Petaia is not LeBron or Bradman. I actually think Tupou is the best player in the team.

For all the hype, so far Petaia has just looked like a very promising young player to me. I can't wait until he steps up to the fanfare. I'm not being sarcastic there either, I dunno. If he's really that good, let's see it. It would make me happy.
No one loves Tupou more than me, but Petaia is the one.
Remember how you liked TK? Petaia is the reason TK isn’t in the 80 man Wallaby squad - Petaia targeted and bullied him. He physically dominates everyone he comes up against, but also has great feet and good hands. In other words - Rugby Jesus.
I was never up TK's bum. I think you're mistaking me for someone else there. But regardless, I take your point and hope he is as good as you say. To be honest, I don't tend to pay too much attention to outside backs unless they drop or kick the ball away constantly.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 17146
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Farva »

Towny wants to drop the current John Eales medalist to get more reds in the team.

If we are dropping someone it’s Paisami for Petaia. I think that is reasonable, but what I would do is keep the backline as is and bring Petaia in at 23.
He is t Bradman. He might be one day but he has a handful of tests.
towny
Posts: 18391
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:35 pm Towny wants to drop the current John Eales medalist to get more reds in the team.

If we are dropping someone it’s Paisami for Petaia. I think that is reasonable, but what I would do is keep the backline as is and bring Petaia in at 23.
He is t Bradman. He might be one day but he has a handful of tests.
Bradman was Bradman before he played any tests. Petaia has played enough for anyone with half a rugby brain to know how freaky he is.

Anyway, until half way through the second half you wanted Kyle Godwin in the team...... please. What happened to your new found humility?

Daugunu, Paisami or Koroibette have to miss out. I rate them all very highly! Petaia is a better centre/winger than all of them. By miles. Maybe this weekend Petaia can play from the bench..... but the game after that he is 100% in the team.

You’ll be back on the humble pie soon enough. 😉
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5806
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

He has to be in the 23. I would put him on the bench in place of Lolesio. He will not be needed this week. It’s no place for a very young 10 to debut, especially when we already have 2 10s on the park.
JP needs to go injury free for a while so absolutely no need to push him. 20-30 minutes this week will be enough.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 17146
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Farva »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 pm
Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:35 pm Towny wants to drop the current John Eales medalist to get more reds in the team.

If we are dropping someone it’s Paisami for Petaia. I think that is reasonable, but what I would do is keep the backline as is and bring Petaia in at 23.
He is t Bradman. He might be one day but he has a handful of tests.
Bradman was Bradman before he played any tests. Petaia has played enough for anyone with half a rugby brain to know how freaky he is.

Anyway, until half way through the second half you wanted Kyle Godwin in the team...... please. What happened to your new found humility?

Daugunu, Paisami or Koroibette have to miss out. I rate them all very highly! Petaia is a better centre/winger than all of them. By miles. Maybe this weekend Petaia can play from the bench..... but the game after that he is 100% in the team.

You’ll be back on the humble pie soon enough. 😉
I have no issue easing Petaia into our longterm 13. He is a great player. If you are going to drop one of those three you mentioned, it would be madness to drop Korebeite. He is the current John Eales medalist, and has been in form. So do you drop Daugunu or Paisami? If push came to shove it would be Paisami, but all three played well enough to keep their spot - Petaia goes to the bench.
I still think Godwin had a better season than Paisami at super level. Did you watch him, I watched both? His stats are better too... ;)
But I was happy that Paisami had a good game on the weekend.

And for every Bradman, you get 10 Rodzillas (talked up as the next big thing, turn out to be shite). And lets tone down the hyperbole, Petaia is a great player but better than Horan (possibly the best centre to ever play the game), your dreaming.
User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 7148
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Bindi »

Comparing Petaia to Rodzilla should result in a permaban. :evil:
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5806
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

Bindi wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:48 pm Comparing Petaia to Rodzilla should result in a permaban. :evil:
Paisami to Godwin at least a week or two.
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 12964
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by UncleFB »

Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:39 pm
towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 pm
Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:35 pm Towny wants to drop the current John Eales medalist to get more reds in the team.

If we are dropping someone it’s Paisami for Petaia. I think that is reasonable, but what I would do is keep the backline as is and bring Petaia in at 23.
He is t Bradman. He might be one day but he has a handful of tests.
Bradman was Bradman before he played any tests. Petaia has played enough for anyone with half a rugby brain to know how freaky he is.

Anyway, until half way through the second half you wanted Kyle Godwin in the team...... please. What happened to your new found humility?

Daugunu, Paisami or Koroibette have to miss out. I rate them all very highly! Petaia is a better centre/winger than all of them. By miles. Maybe this weekend Petaia can play from the bench..... but the game after that he is 100% in the team.

You’ll be back on the humble pie soon enough. 😉
I have no issue easing Petaia into our longterm 13. He is a great player. If you are going to drop one of those three you mentioned, it would be madness to drop Korebeite. He is the current John Eales medalist, and has been in form. So do you drop Daugunu or Paisami? If push came to shove it would be Paisami, but all three played well enough to keep their spot - Petaia goes to the bench.
I still think Godwin had a better season than Paisami at super level. Did you watch him, I watched both? His stats are better too... ;)
But I was happy that Paisami had a good game on the weekend.

And for every Bradman, you get 10 Rodzillas (talked up as the next big thing, turn out to be shite). And lets tone down the hyperbole, Petaia is a great player but better than Horan (possibly the best centre to ever play the game), your dreaming.
Someone actually said that? That's dumber than the NZ fans who apparently gave themselves lobotomies and then declared BB was better than Carter.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 17146
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Farva »

Queenslanders. Cant live with them, cant get a cheap banana without them.
User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 7148
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Bindi »

UncleFB wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:56 pm
Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:39 pm
towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 pm
Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:35 pm Towny wants to drop the current John Eales medalist to get more reds in the team.

If we are dropping someone it’s Paisami for Petaia. I think that is reasonable, but what I would do is keep the backline as is and bring Petaia in at 23.
He is t Bradman. He might be one day but he has a handful of tests.
Bradman was Bradman before he played any tests. Petaia has played enough for anyone with half a rugby brain to know how freaky he is.

Anyway, until half way through the second half you wanted Kyle Godwin in the team...... please. What happened to your new found humility?

Daugunu, Paisami or Koroibette have to miss out. I rate them all very highly! Petaia is a better centre/winger than all of them. By miles. Maybe this weekend Petaia can play from the bench..... but the game after that he is 100% in the team.

You’ll be back on the humble pie soon enough. 😉
I have no issue easing Petaia into our longterm 13. He is a great player. If you are going to drop one of those three you mentioned, it would be madness to drop Korebeite. He is the current John Eales medalist, and has been in form. So do you drop Daugunu or Paisami? If push came to shove it would be Paisami, but all three played well enough to keep their spot - Petaia goes to the bench.
I still think Godwin had a better season than Paisami at super level. Did you watch him, I watched both? His stats are better too... ;)
But I was happy that Paisami had a good game on the weekend.

And for every Bradman, you get 10 Rodzillas (talked up as the next big thing, turn out to be shite). And lets tone down the hyperbole, Petaia is a great player but better than Horan (possibly the best centre to ever play the game), your dreaming.
Someone actually said that? That's dumber than the NZ fans who apparently gave themselves lobotomies and then declared BB was better than Carter.
Same bloke who declared Tony Abbott would get 4 terms as PM, I believe.
grievous
Posts: 11787
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by grievous »

Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:09 pm Queenslanders. Cant live with them, cant get a cheap banana without them.
Keeping the war going that doesnt exist. Its so 1970s.
User avatar
wamberal
Posts: 916
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by wamberal »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:44 am
Did you see the game? It was the ABs in the first half spilling all the box kicks. The tactic worked great for Australia in the conditions.
A good box kick is not about gaining territory per se, it is about winning back possession with your opponents on the back foot.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 17146
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Farva »

wamberal wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:22 pm
towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:44 am
Did you see the game? It was the ABs in the first half spilling all the box kicks. The tactic worked great for Australia in the conditions.
A good box kick is not about gaining territory per se, it is about winning back possession with your opponents on the back foot.
My issue with the box kicks that Nick White was doing in the first half was that they were in our defensive half, and they were resulting in the ball going loose. In one instance it bounced before being gathered (thankfully by us, but by luck, not design) and once was gathered by McKenzie who dropped it (sure it was windy, but I dont want to rely on that). The ball was going up and then getting caught in the wind and coming back. This meant that we were on the back foot usually when it was coming to earth. If that first one I mentioned had bounced slightly differently then we were down the other end under the posts watching JB line up for a conversion. For me, that is not good play and not something we should repeat. But it was repeated.
User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 16579
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA!

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Thomas »

According to Bish on The Roar, 5 of the 7 box kicks by Nic White in the first half were regathered by the Aussies. The tactic worked.
User avatar
kiwigreg369
Posts: 5241
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Thomas wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:32 pm According to Bish on The Roar, 5 of the 7 box kicks by Nic White in the first half were regathered by the Aussies. The tactic worked.
the wind added to the variation but assume it went both ways. 5 from 7 is good....
User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 16579
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA!

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Thomas »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:35 pm
Thomas wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:32 pm According to Bish on The Roar, 5 of the 7 box kicks by Nic White in the first half were regathered by the Aussies. The tactic worked.
the wind added to the variation but assume it went both ways. 5 from 7 is good....
He did note that Smith didn't kick much at all in the second half.

Article is here: https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/10/14/h ... -cake-tin/
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5806
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

As I recall, Banks and the wingers were good under the high ball. I think we missed one where someone went above Banks.
It was working well for us but not them.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 17146
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Farva »

Thomas wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:32 pm According to Bish on The Roar, 5 of the 7 box kicks by Nic White in the first half were regathered by the Aussies. The tactic worked.
Sure. It was luck more than anything else though. That wind made it really hard to gather for both sides. For me that is a good tactic when sitting in their 22. Its not a great one if we are in our half. It was a lottery.
towny
Posts: 18391
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:48 am
Thomas wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:32 pm According to Bish on The Roar, 5 of the 7 box kicks by Nic White in the first half were regathered by the Aussies. The tactic worked.
Sure. It was luck more than anything else though. That wind made it really hard to gather for both sides. For me that is a good tactic when sitting in their 22. Its not a great one if we are in our half. It was a lottery.
You’re complaining about a tactic that obviously was very successful because......... I have no idea why.
Post Reply