Wallabies 2020 thread

All things Rugby
towny

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:56 am I’m going to have to watch it again. My impression watching it live was that White was not as good as the previous week, but also that Gordon had no direction when he came on. By then they had lost their shape and he was not able to bring it back.
Toomua going off seem to kill our shape. But, I’m assuming. No chance I can watch that again to see if I’m right though.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Toomua crocked for the year
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:09 pm Toomua crocked for the year
Bummer.

It looked to me on Sunday that Rennie was experimenting with a defensive pattern where he looped to make the wingers' tackles for them, so the backrowers (Samu the week before) didn't have to do that as well as their own job.

The sooner Rennie gets rid of the turnstyle wingers and get some blokes there that can tackle, the better.
towny

Post by towny »

Ellafan wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:17 pm
Bummer.

It looked to me on Sunday that Rennie was experimenting with a defensive pattern where he looped to make the wingers' tackles for them, so the backrowers (Samu the week before) didn't have to do that as well as their own job.

The sooner Rennie gets rid of the turnstyle wingers and get some blokes there that can tackle, the better.
Koroibete and Daugunu are anything but turnstiles - you know this. Plus, I’d be shocked if the Wobs changed defensive patterns between games - sounds like utter nonsense.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

That's a massive blow. Step up Noah Lolesio.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:53 pm
Yeah. I think so, with JOC shifting out one spot. We will miss Toomua’s big defence though. The other option is Simone to come in at 12.
shanky

Post by shanky »

JOC needs a second playmaker, or he goes to custard. He operates with Hamish at the Reds

Simone could fulfill that role, but perhaps not out of the blocks in a Bledisloe.
I think Rennie will put Lolesio to 10 but with JOC still playing the senior role on attack.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

shanky wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:17 pm JOC needs a second playmaker, or he goes to custard. He operates with Hamish at the Reds

Simone could fulfill that role, but perhaps not out of the blocks in a Bledisloe.
I think Rennie will put Lolesio to 10 but with JOC still playing the senior role on attack.
Lolesio played 12 for the u20s fwiw.
Olo

Post by Olo »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:58 am
Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:56 am I’m going to have to watch it again. My impression watching it live was that White was not as good as the previous week, but also that Gordon had no direction when he came on. By then they had lost their shape and he was not able to bring it back.
Toomua going off seem to kill our shape. But, I’m assuming. No chance I can watch that again to see if I’m right though.
Managed to watch it again.
White was good again. They shut down his space from the beginning. TBF Gordon was fine as well. Went through the motions a bit and was feeding runners one off the ruck which did not trouble the ABs at all. For mine Tate would have more impact. Gordon and White are very similar players. The game was very competitive from start to finish, the difference being that NZ took their chances and eliminated the errors and Australia did not. Our attack was still pretty good after Toomua left the pitch. We might have actually created more chances with him off, but we could not capitalise.
I think we will see Paisami at 12 next week with Lolesio on the bench.
Time for Simmons to be put out to pasture. Liam Wright was disappointing.
towny

Post by towny »

Olo wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:38 am
White was good again. They shut down his space from the beginning. TBF Gordon was fine as well. Went through the motions a bit and was feeding runners one off the ruck which did not trouble the ABs at all. For mine Tate would have more impact. Gordon and White are very similar players. The game was very competitive from start to finish, the difference being that NZ took their chances and eliminated the errors and Australia did not. Our attack was still pretty good after Toomua left the pitch. We might have actually created more chances with him off, but we could not capitalise.
You are a glutton for punishment. Fair call on White - I’ll take your word for it.

The only certainty I have for the next Wallabies team is that Petaia will be in it.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

towny wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:40 am
You are a glutton for punishment. Fair call on White - I’ll take your word for it.

The only certainty I have for the next Wallabies team is that Petaia will be in it.
What kind of outrageous rugby know nothing doesn't rate Tupou? :D
towny

Post by towny »

Zakar wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:25 am
towny wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:40 am

What kind of outrageous rugby know nothing doesn't rate Tupou? :D
I love him, but suspect they’ve got a tall and a short front row. Maybe they’ll rotate them and let the tall guys take the first half.
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:58 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:53 pm
Yeah. I think so, with JOC shifting out one spot. We will miss Toomua’s big defence though. The other option is Simone to come in at 12.
I was thinking 10 JOC, 12 Lolosio to be honest. Lolosio is a center who has moved to fly-half only recenlty.
Mog The Almighty

What are you talking about? Gordon is not like White. Gordon is basically Tate McDermott with a good pass and a kicking game.

I'm exaggerating a bit, obviously Tate is a better ball-runner that Gordon, and Gordon is a bit more conservative in his decision making. But I don't mind that. Gordon is still an excellent running scrum-half -- just he can also do the core duties well too! (bonus!)
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

Somehow Mog has watched 8 years of rugby since I've last been on this bored and now knows less than ever. Spectacular result.
Mog The Almighty

SFBB wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:20 am Somehow Mog has watched 8 years of rugby since I've last been on this bored and now knows less than ever. Spectacular result.
I am pretty close to, if not the, most knowledgeable and accurate poster on this thread you silly little man.

Although some of the others may not admit it, they know it's true deep down.
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:44 am
SFBB wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:20 am Somehow Mog has watched 8 years of rugby since I've last been on this bored and now knows less than ever. Spectacular result.
I am pretty close to, if not the, most knowledgeable and accurate poster on this thread you silly little man.

If a coherent thought wandered into your head it would die of exposure, you simpleton.
Mog The Almighty

SFBB wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:03 am

If a coherent thought wandered into your head it would die of exposure, you simpleton.
:lol: Whatever bro. You can cry yourself to sleep when Gordon gets selected, again, like I predicted he would months ago. Same with the likes of Hanigan and Hodge that also predicted and that you couch-potato know-alls like to shit on without having a clue what you're looking at.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:57 am

:lol: Whatever bro. You can cry yourself to sleep when Gordon gets selected, again, like I predicted he would months ago. Same with the likes of Hanigan and Hodge that also predicted and that you couch-potato know-alls like to shit on without having a clue what you're looking at.
I like your aggression and style. But I’d recommend you create a new username if you want respect as a learned rugby pundit. Your track record is not a great one - need we provide some examples?
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Kiwi journos have resumed normal service and crowing about how weak Australia are.

Good sign. Wallabies always seem to do better when they are underestimated. Doubt they'll make the same mistakes as last week.
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:54 am

I like your aggression and style. But I’d recommend you create a new username if you want respect as a learned rugby pundit. Your track record is not a great one - need we provide some examples?
I would say yes, but then again, I know you'll just make a bunch of shit up, mixed with half-truths to make your bullshit point, and I'll have to quote each one and tell you what actually happened.

But f-ck it, I have nothing better to do ... go for it.
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

Who do you think I am?
Mog The Almighty

SFBB wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 am

Who do you think I am?
You're some guy on an Internet forum talking shit to strangers you don't know from a bar of soap. A rare and exalted breed indeed.

Plus you've posted pictures of yourself bro.
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:20 pm

Who do you think I am?
You're some guy on an Internet forum talking shit to strangers you don't know from a bar of soap. A rare and exalted breed indeed.

Did I look smart?
Olo

Post by Olo »

SFBB wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:32 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:20 pm

Who do you think I am?

Did I look smart?
Not really......
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

Looks can be deceiving.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

:lol:
towny

Post by towny »

Great jersey!
towny

Post by towny »

SFBB wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:31 pm Looks can be deceiving.
I was always impressed with your beauty.
Mog The Almighty

CrazyIslander wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:10 pm Image

What's going on with the white? That looks odd. It's should be gold.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Looks like Qantas has burned in an Oz swimsuit into the NZ league jersey.
Mog The Almighty

I don't mind the design but whoever chose to make those bits white is mental. It hurts my eyes to look at it.

They should have been gold, obviously, or a different shade of green.
towny

Post by towny »

Myrtle green is best green!
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:19 pm
Bummer.

Koroibete and Daugunu are anything but turnstiles - you know this. Plus, I’d be shocked if the Wobs changed defensive patterns between games - sounds like utter nonsense.
Bullshit Towny. The defensive lapse by the Wobs left winger, where he left his man to step in to the ball carrier inside - who was already covered - and allowed Barrett to stroll in for a try was a farkng schoolboy level embarrassment.
Mog The Almighty

Ellafan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:00 pm
towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:19 pm
Bummer.

Bullshit Towny. The defensive lapse by the Wobs left winger, where he left his man to step in to the ball carrier inside - who was already covered - and allowed Barrett to stroll in for a try was a farkng schoolboy level embarrassment.
Yeah that was Daugunu, I thought the same thing at the time ... wtf was he not numbered-up? There was already someone on the inside man. Anyway...
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

It wouldn't have mattered. Had he not come in Goodhue would've scored. It was the inside defenders fault, shouldn't have let Goodhue get on his outside.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Nice jersey.
Be interesting to see if they take a knee.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Convention dictates only one Fijian wing can start in Commonwealth teams. I'd stay with Daugunu as convention also dictates younger wings have more X factor. I said in this thread MK should be dropped after the first test only to be met mostly with indignation and predictable tropes such as MK is the best winger in the world and a Jon Eels Medallist.

I agree with MOG. Hodge should start in MK's place. He might not offer sexy speed and agility but he does offer reliability and the chance of landing 3 points from the majority of the field.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Bindi wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:16 am Kiwi journos have resumed normal service and crowing about how weak Australia are.

Good sign. Wallabies always seem to do better when they are underestimated. Doubt they'll make the same mistakes as last week.
Resumed? :lol:
grievous

Post by grievous »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:19 pm
CrazyIslander wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:10 pm Image

What's going on with the white? That looks odd. It's should be gold.
The first version was brilliant but the marketing twats always have to get involved and this will sadly be rejigged every year.

Now about the down on one knee business Haylet- Petty was quoted on. Guys.....yes you are in the news now because the right wing have another outrage to shout about but cmon focus on the rugby pleeeaaasse. There are much better ways to get moire indigenous into our sport, leave it to the administrators, when you beat the ABs regularly you can start getting involved in BLM, world peace and third world hunger.