Wallabies 2020 thread

All things Rugby
towny

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Ready must be bigger than every hooker in the country other than Uelese.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

towny wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:03 am Ready must be bigger than every hooker in the country other than Uelese.
You're right. But for his style of play he's too small. FF is smaller but he's a ball carrier, Ready is a tight player.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Neither Ready or Lee Warner have made the initial training squad comprised of Tahs and Force players........

Robertson and KHunt also miss out:
Waratahs: Angus Bell, Jack Dempsey, Tom Horton, Harry Johnson-Holmes, Rob Simmons, Ned Hanigan, Lachie Swinton, Michael Hooper, Jake Gordon, Will Harrison, Jack Maddocks, James Ramm.

Force: Kyle Godwin, Feleti Kaitu’u, Brynard Stander.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I didn't realise Stander was eligible.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Slim 293 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:12 pm Neither Ready or Lee Warner have made the initial training squad comprised of Tahs and Force players........

Waratahs: Angus Bell, Jack Dempsey, Tom Horton, Harry Johnson-Holmes, Rob Simmons, Ned Hanigan, Lachie Swinton, Michael Hooper, Jake Gordon, Will Harrison, Jack Maddocks, James Ramm.

Queue the whinging about Hanigan & Maddox in 5-4-3...
Farva

Post by Farva »

Maddocks is a great player with a long future.

Hanigan has had a pretty good season but will be lucky to make it through to the 23.
towny

Post by towny »

Ellafan wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:30 pm
Slim 293 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:12 pm Neither Ready or Lee Warner have made the initial training squad comprised of Tahs and Force players........

Hanigan well and truly deserves it. Maddocks is a shot at a jersey. I’m pretty surprised Robbo didn’t get a spot.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

towny wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:16 pm
Ellafan wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:30 pm

Hanigan well and truly deserves it. Maddocks is a shot at a jersey. I’m pretty surprised Robbo didn’t get a spot.
My son sent me a text - "Why Hanigan????"

Perhaps he's just one of those unpopular types, and some observers fail to appreciate the amount of work he gets through (like Dave Dennis and Dean Mumm before him)?
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Yes, he's like Dennis and Mumm.
towny

Post by towny »

CrazyIslander wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:26 pm Yes, he's like Dennis and Mumm.
Hanigan was thrown in the deep end a couple of years ago because Cheika didn’t like Fardy for some reason. No one can still work that out. On the field he looked like a boy against men. What’s more, he was used for a bit of marketing so had a high profile.

I have irrationally negative feelings towards a few of Cheika’s favourites. It’s not their fault, I guess.

Dean Mumm sucked tbf.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

towny wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:39 pm
Hanigan was thrown in the deep end a couple of years ago because Cheika didn’t like Fardy for some reason. No one can still work that out. On the field he looked like a boy against men. What’s more, he was used for a bit of marketing so had a high profile.

I have irrationally negative feelings towards a few of Cheika’s favourites. It’s not their fault, I guess.

Dean Mumm sucked tbf.
Towny is an undetailed observer, and I claim 2 beers and a kebab from him.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Dean Mumm sucked tbf.
You can't blame Cheika. After RWC'15 it was clear we needed a ball carrier in the back row. Fardy was the elder of the 3 and Pooper were the two best players in the team. Fardy had to go. Unfortunately, after 4 years, it turned out that Fardy was still better than the rest. Had Cheika stuck with Fardy/Pooper then we'd blame him for not trying to blood young backrowers.
Pooper needed to be broken, but in all honesty, no one forced their way in. The choice was bring an average but bigger player or stick with Pooper who are world class at what they do. You're fvcked either way tbf.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Hanigan is there because he’s a tweener, like LSL. Good value as a bench option if you’re going 5-3. I like that Rennie is thinking about options instead of slavishly sticking to his ‘game plan’.

Hanigan’s strength is the lineout - where he is undeniably effective.

Stander has been here for years. I like him. Abrasive Saffer backrower. I doubt he’ll make the team though, despite probably being a contender. I suspect he’ll be there as an olive branch for WA

A bit like Kyle Godwin.
shanky

Post by shanky »

CrazyIslander wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:08 am
towny wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:03 am Ready must be bigger than every hooker in the country other than Uelese.
You're right. But for his style of play he's too small. FF is smaller but he's a ball carrier, Ready is a tight player.
Poor old Ready.

Did you hear Kafer’s comment about him during the game?
“Throwing the ball is one of the things he can do well”.

Ouch.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Ready had a bit of a bad rep in QLD didn't he? Him and Frisby were on the tins more than they were lifting tin by all accounts.
Olo

Post by Olo »

CrazyIslander wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:37 pm

Dean Mumm sucked tbf.
You can't blame Cheika. After RWC'15 it was clear we needed a ball carrier in the back row. Fardy was the elder of the 3 and Pooper were the two best players in the team. Fardy had to go. Unfortunately, after 4 years, it turned out that Fardy was still better than the rest. Had Cheika stuck with Fardy/Pooper then we'd blame him for not trying to blood young backrowers.
Pooper needed to be broken, but in all honesty, no one forced their way in. The choice was bring an average but bigger player or stick with Pooper who are world class at what they do. You're fvcked either way tbf.
We can always blame Cheika CI, even you. Even more so now that he’s gone.
Get up to speed mate!
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Dean Mumm sucked tbf.
Mumm was fine soup/club level guy that occasionally had a highlight reel run that made you think he could be THE MAN. However, he was not THE MAN, at all.
mightyreds

Post by mightyreds »

My Comments, PART ONE:

Wallabies 23 :

1 Sio
2 Fainga'a
3 Tupou
4 Phillip
5 Simmons
6 Wright
7 Hooper
8 Wilson
9 McDermott
10 Lolesio
11 Koroibete
12 Toomua
13 Petaia
14 Ralston
15 D H-P

Bench: Uelese, Slipper, Fa’amausili, L S-L, Naisarani, White, Paisami, Campbell

VERY close (to figure in squad rotation): Horton, McInerney, Ala'alatoa, Hosea, Neville, Kemeny, Samu, Dempsey, McReight, Jake Gordon, Harrison, JOC, Ramm, Tom Wright.

My PART TWO will be comments on Dave Rennie's PONI
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

mightyreds wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:17 pm My Comments, PART ONE:

Wallabies 23 :

1 Sio
2 Fainga'a
3 Tupou
4 Phillip
5 Simmons
6 Wright
7 Hooper
8 Wilson
9 McDermott
10 Lolesio
11 Koroibete
12 Toomua
13 Petaia
14 Ralston
15 D H-P

VERY close (to figure in squad rotation): Horton, McInerney, Ala'alatoa, Hosea, Neville, Kemeny, Samu, Dempsey, McReight, Jake Gordon, Harrison, JOC, Ramm, Tom Wright.

It's not a terrible squad. I'd be surprised if we see Ralston in the squad though, let alone starting.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:20 am

Wallabies 23 :

1 Sio
2 Fainga'a
3 Tupou
4 Phillip
5 Simmons
6 Wright
7 Hooper
8 Wilson
9 McDermott
10 Lolesio
11 Koroibete
12 Toomua
13 Petaia
14 Ralston
15 D H-P

It's not a terrible squad. I'd be surprised if we see Ralston in the squad though, let alone starting.
Nah - it is terrible (some of the selections, anyway). Bench is full of players who only play one position. Daugunu is easily the form winger, and isn't there at all. AAA is well ahead of big Pone (even though Pone may turn out to be a legend). I also don't see the point in starting with 2 locks who are leaving.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Bindi wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:03 am
Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:20 am

Wallabies 23 :

1 Sio
2 Fainga'a
3 Tupou
4 Phillip
5 Simmons
6 Wright
7 Hooper
8 Wilson
9 McDermott
10 Lolesio
11 Koroibete
12 Toomua
13 Petaia
14 Ralston
15 D H-P

Nah - it is terrible (some of the selections, anyway). Bench is full of players who only play one position. Daugunu is easily the form winger, and isn't there at all. AAA is well ahead of big Pone (even though Pone may turn out to be a legend). I also don't see the point in starting with 2 locks who are leaving.
It's not a terrible squad - but I agree that some of the selections in the 23 are strange.

I'm currently feeling

1. Sio
2. Uelese
3. Tupou
4. LSL
5. Phillip
6. Valentini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10. JOC
11. Korobiete
12. Toomua
13. Petaia
14. Dugunu
15. Banks or DHP

16. Faainga
17. Slipper
18. NRMA
19. Simmons
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Paisami
23. Hodge

Orr, Horton, Pone, Blyth, Hannigan, Wright, McReight, Naisarani, Gordon, Harrison or a Healthy Loloseio, Simone, DHP/Banks, Wright.

Ramm, Neville, Robertson, Dempsey, Godwin could all sneak in.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Lolesio might be the answer, but not to the question "who should start at fly-half against the Darkness?" Maybe soon, but not now, especially after a much shorter than usual domestic season (especially for him). JOC for me.

I think Simmons will be there, but agree that his partner has to be a prospect. Somebody young, big, and abrasive. Would wait for the next couple of games to decide just who.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

i would be shocked if Lolesio got selected.

Hooker is a bit of a problem. Whoever gets selected there has to be able to consistently throw straight and well in the line out. That narrows it down to Fainga'a and nobody.

Johnson-Holmes and Hannigan should both be selected owing to versatility. Same with Samu but he's more of a sure thing than the two Waratahs.

Hodge will be in the team for both his versatility and his boot.

Wilson is the front runner for the eight jersey at this stage. Naisarani has looked decent but not mind blowing good. Samu looked great on the weekend but his starting chances are hampered by the fact he's an ideal impact utility forward.

I don't think White has been better than either McDermott or Gordon and don't know why he should be selected over either of them. But I can see it happening regardless. It wouldn't be a very brave or progressive call though.

Tupou has gone from the best scrummager in Australia to the best player in Australia. I invite the usual dumbarses to prove their dumbarseness by posting a bunch of laughy emojis.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:36 am i would be shocked if Lolesio got selected.

Hooker is a bit of a problem. Whoever gets selected there has to be able to consistently throw straight and well in the line out. That narrows it down to Fainga'a and nobody.

Johnson-Holmes and Hannigan should both be selected owing to versatility. Same with Samu but he's more of a sure thing than the two Waratahs.

Wilson is the front runner for the eight jersey at this stage. Naisarani has looked decent but not mind blowing good. Samu looked great on the weekend but his starting chances are hampered by the fact he's an ideal impact utility forward.

I don't think White has been better than either McDermott or Gordon and don't know why he should be selected over either of them. But I can see it happening regardless. It wouldn't be a very brave or progressive call though.

Tupou has gone from the best scrummager in Australia to the best player in Australia. I invite the usual dumbarses to prove their dumbarseness by posting a bunch of laughy emojis.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Claims Hannigan is off to Japan on GAGR.
Mog The Almighty

Bindi wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:51 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:36 am i would be shocked if Lolesio got selected.

Johnson-Holmes and Hanigan should both be selected owing to versatility. Same with Samu but he's more of a sure thing than the two Waratahs.

We have a shortage of locks, and Hanigan is a lock. He is also only 25 years old, he can cover multiple positions, he's been repeatedly put forward as a potential Wallaby this year, he's been selected in Renni's squad of potential internationals, and he already has twenty caps for the Wallabies. Unsurprisingly, to one of the repeatedly exposed least knowledgable rugby posters on PR, the suggestion that he may do so again is hilarious. :roll: Dummy.

He's not the most awesome option, granted. But I suspect Hanigan cops a disproportionate amount of stick from clueless pundits because of his surfer-boy looks.

As far as going to Japan, I hadn't heard that and can't find any reports of it with quick Google search.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

For me, right wing is a bit of a problem.

Korobiete has the left locked up.

The next best prospects (Wright, Ramm, Dugunu) are all left wingers. Hodge or DHP could play there but are a bit slow as they are true 15s. Banks was tried there and failed.

Ralston is a right wing but is a bit raw. Muirhead is right but is a bit small.

So someone will be playing out of position.
Mog The Almighty

Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:41 am For me, right wing is a bit of a problem.

The next best prospects (Wright, Ramm, Dugunu) are all left wingers. Hodge or DHP could play there but are a bit slow as they are true 15s. Banks was tried there and failed.

There's a bee's dick of difference really, unless the player happens to be left-footed.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Isn't Vunivalu suppose to be available for Wallabies this year?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:55 am

There's a bee's dick of difference really, unless the player happens to be left-footed.
Not true.

It's a completely different feel, and whilst some players are comfortable on either wing, others it is completely different. You need a different step, kick and fend. You're tackling with a different shoulder a lot of the time.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:26 am
Bindi wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:51 am

Johnson-Holmes and Hanigan should both be selected owing to versatility. Same with Samu but he's more of a sure thing than the two Waratahs.

We have a shortage of locks, and Hanigan is a lock. He is also only 25 years old, he can cover multiple positions, he's been repeatedly put forward as a potential Wallaby this year, he's been selected in Renni's squad of potential internationals, and he already has twenty caps for the Wallabies. Unsurprisingly, to one of the repeatedly exposed least knowledgable rugby posters on PR, the suggestion that he may do so again is hilarious. :roll: Dummy.

He's not the most awesome option, granted. But I suspect Hanigan cops a disproportionate amount of stick from clueless pundits because of his surfer-boy looks.

As far as going to Japan, I hadn't heard that and can't find any reports of it with quick Google search.
As I said, the Japan move was reported on GAGR, and the posters there often seem to have inside info on this sort of thing.

Hannigan was completely ineffectual for the Wallabies - nothing to do with his looks. He's played well this year though, so may, as Towny has stated, be a case of selection too early.
Mog The Almighty

Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:44 am

Not true.

It's a completely different feel, and whilst some players are comfortable on either wing, others it is completely different. You need a different step, kick and fend. You're tackling with a different shoulder a lot of the time.
Yes it is true.

Sure, it is compounded somewhat by the wing being the closest position to the touchline (and there is the further negligible factor that in most teams, the ball travels more naturally from right to left down the line), but still, most wingers have been selected on both sides multiple times in their careers, as well as other backline positions that obviously play on both sides. I've never heard any player being identified as, "a left or right winger" as opposed to just a "winger". Unless their actual position on the day is being differentiated. If a guy can play one wing but is unelectable on the other then he's not a very good winger imo. It's not as if the rest of the players limit themselves to playing off one foot or one shoulder.

I'd say select your best two wingers and then worry about which one is better suited to which side. That's more an afterthought.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Daugunu is the solution. I've read he kicks off both feet, so in theory should help to switch to the right.

Seems to have cut out the dumb stuff, which was by far his biggest issue.
shanky

Post by shanky »

It's certainly compounded by the fact that wingers for the Wallabies have been playing 'open' and 'blind' roles, rather than left or right, for many years.

A bit like front rowers
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

shanky wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:33 am It's certainly compounded by the fact that wingers for the Wallabies have been playing 'open' and 'blind' roles, rather than left or right, for many years.

A bit like front rowers
Poor old Mog, he's never going to get past that.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:21 am

Not true.

Yes it is true.

Sure, it is compounded somewhat by the wing being the closest position to the touchline (and there is the further negligible factor that in most teams, the ball travels more naturally from right to left down the line), but still, most wingers have been selected on both sides multiple times in their careers, as well as other backline positions that obviously play on both sides. I've never heard any player being identified as, "a left or right winger" as opposed to just a "winger". Unless their actual position on the day is being differentiated. If a guy can play one wing but is unelectable on the other then he's not a very good winger imo. It's not as if the rest of the players limit themselves to playing off one foot or one shoulder.

I'd say select your best two wingers and then worry about which one is better suited to which side. That's more an afterthought.
I reckon you know more about playing prop than playing wing.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Did you guys not read that Vunivalu will be available for the Wobs in a month or two?
shanky

Post by shanky »

CrazyIslander wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:19 pm Did you guys not read that Vunivalu will be available for the Wobs in a month or two?
phenomenal player. Much like Koro and others

A lot more space in league, without the additional defensive positioning burden.

It's the "D" where they struggle I think, especially for tactical kicking. Takes a while to get used to

I'm sure he'll go well. Just not likely to get picked 'this' year.
Mog The Almighty

Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:08 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:21 am

Not true.

Yes it is true.

I reckon you know more about playing prop than playing wing.
Maybe, but that's not really relevant.

Half of the wingers these days can also play multiple other positions in the back-line. You'd have to be pretty shit if you were so specialized you could only play one of the wings. :lol: Yes, obviously there are subtle differences, the most important being which foot you like to kick with. Also the fact that the most natural direction of ball movement is right-to-left which makes the left winger typically a wee bit more offensive and the right winger more defensive. But even if they have personal preferences, I think any international winger can play either side without too much fuss.

I totally get your point that we should select the best players in their best positions, but I don't think we need to worry too much about selecting a left winger "out of position" on the right wing. I would rather just have the best two wingers on the field.

FWIW, the wing was my first position. I played on the wing from 12 to 22 although that's kind of irrelevant considering I had no idea what I was doing for most of it.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Rugby.com.au saying the eligibility laws have changed for 2020, and 2 players from abroad will be eligible.

Latu and Arnold please.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Zakar wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:08 am Rugby.com.au saying the eligibility laws have changed for 2020, and 2 players from abroad will be eligible.

Latu and Arnold please.
Reported for blatant optimism

Edit - Repeated :x