Wallabies 2020 thread

All things Rugby
Farva

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Farva »

Zakar wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:08 am Rugby.com.au saying the eligibility laws have changed for 2020, and 2 players from abroad will be eligible.

Latu and Arnold please.
I think it’s Kerevi and Arnold.
Not sure we need Kerevi. We need Arnold.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Has Kerevi played since the world cup?
Olo

Post by Olo »

Latu is a beast if fit, that’s a big if without Cheika driving him along.
However, Arnold and fit Latu would be my choice.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Kerevi will make some impressive breaks but will also stifle this attack, as he did with the last. I would not pick him if he was here.
We have some very good 12s In Toomua and JOC and a couple of potentially very good young 12s coming through. No way Kerevi gets picked ahead of JP at13. We also have TK, Hodge, JOC and others as back there.
Look at how much better this Reds backline works without him?
shanky

Post by shanky »

Olo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:47 pm Kerevi will make some impressive breaks but will also stifle this attack, as he did with the last. I would not pick him if he was here.
We have some very good 12s In Toomua and JOC and a couple of potentially very good young 12s coming through. No way Kerevi gets picked ahead of JP at13. We also have TK, Hodge, JOC and others as back there.
Look at how much better this Reds backline works without him?
This. Good post. :thumbup:
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Olo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:42 pm Latu is a beast if fit, that’s a big if without Cheika driving him along.
I'd be tempted to just take two second rowers.

The big problem with our hookers right now is that none of them seem able to throw straight, except Fainga'a. Latu doesn't really solve that problem. His biggest weakness was his line-out throwing.

Definitely wouldn't choose Kerevi. The forwards win the game, the backs decide by how much. Obviously not strictly true, but a good forward pack with okay backs is a shit load better team than an okay forward pack and good backs.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:04 pm
Olo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:42 pm Latu is a beast if fit, that’s a big if without Cheika driving him along.

The big problem with our hookers right now is that none of them seem able to throw straight, except Fainga'a. Latu doesn't really solve that problem. His biggest weakness was his line-out throwing.

Definitely wouldn't choose Kerevi. The forwards win the game, the backs decide by how much. Obviously not strictly true, but a good forward pack with okay backs is a shit load better team than an okay forward pack and good backs.
What overseas forwards would make the starting team?
If Blyth keeps up the form he’s good as gold. LSL is better than all of them. I’m keen on getting Arnold back, but wouldn’t lose sleep over it as I can’t see him cracking the starting team. Not sure he’s worth the ticket tbh.

Latu would be a good get. Uelese is the obvious front runner and BPA has taken his game to a new level. Fainga’a is okayish and that new Tah looks alright. But Latu and Uelese is like a dream team.

How’s Sean McMahon traveling? I miss him.

Give me Kerevi and Latu. The Reds only got a game plan 4 weeks ago and the Wallabies haven’t had won since.....

I make it a rule not to rate those that don’t rate Kerevi. Rennie will turn that bloke into Nonu 2.0. Toomua can come off the bench and do his thing with 30 to go.

Daugunu is on the other wing. Wright is turning into a pumpkin - he makes Maddocks look like Cement Gillespie. Ramm from the Tahs could be a bolter though.

Lastly, I don’t know how half of you show your face on this thread. Some want Tupou on the bench, others think Petaia might make the bench. Others want Ralston in the the team. Now some want to take blokes straight out of the AFL.

It’s a retardathon. You should be raising money for starving kids with this nonsense.
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:31 pm

If Blyth keeps up the form he’s good as gold. LSL is better than all of them. I’m keen on getting Arnold back, but wouldn’t lose sleep over it as I can’t see him cracking the starting team. Not sure he’s worth the ticket tbh.

Latu would be a good get. Uelese is the obvious front runner and BPA has taken his game to a new level. Fainga’a is okayish and that new Tah looks alright. But Latu and Uelese is like a dream team.

Give me Kerevi and Latu. The Reds only got a game plan 4 weeks ago and the Wallabies haven’t had won since.....

I make it a rule not to rate those that don’t rate Kerevi. Rennie will turn that bloke into Nonu 2.0. Toomua can come off the bench and do his thing with 30 to go.

Daugunu is on the other wing. Wright is turning into a pumpkin - he makes Maddocks look like Cement Gillespie. Ramm from the Tahs could be a bolter though.

Lastly, I don’t know how half of you show your face on this thread. Some want Tupou on the bench, others think Petaia might make the bench. Others want Ralston in the the team. Now some want to take blokes straight out of the AFL.

It’s a retardathon. You should be raising money for starving kids with this nonsense.
I can't argue with too much you said there. It sounds weird, but a lot of is subjective. What kind of team are you looking at? Personally, I think the best strategy is young, rebuilding team - and selecting the best team of players, not the best players in a team, if you get my drift.

I guess you don't rate me, because I wouldn't bother with Kerevi. I do rate him however, I think he's fantastic. If he were in Australia with his heart on a Wallaby selection, like for example, Hooper, then sure, great. But he's not. Also, blockbusting, bulldozing runs are a nice bonus once you've formed a good backbone of a team. It's not going to make a bee's dick of difference if the forwards aren't delivering. And who are the workhorses of the forward pack? The second rowers. And we don't have any.

Fainga'a is not ideal, I agree. But at least he can throw in the line-out at a not-totally-shithouse standard. A shortage of locks and a poor throwing hooker would be a disaster. Fainga'a is my choice not because of what he brings, more that he's the least likely to single-handedly lose a game with shit throwing. It's not the ideal way to select a player, but it's what we've got.

I agree that Ralston shouldn't be anywhere near the team, at least not yet. And anyone who wants Tupou on the bench is drinking vodka for breakfast. That may include Rennie, let's hope not. He's shown he can put in 80 intense minutes and still dominate. What the f-ck more would you want?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

towny wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:31 pm

Kerevi is very very very good.

But he's not "chuck him in versus the ABs after not playing for 12 months" good. Nobody is.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Fardy at lock wouldn't be a terrible shout.

He's been winning European player of the year medals for the best team in Europe, even if he's getting very long in the tooth.

Coleman hasn't played much. Skelton was great for Sarries but playing in France might not be great for his waistline.

Rory is fantastic and would be my pick. Richie is the evil twin, absolute penalty magnet.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Train Kerevi up as hooker and he would walk in.
He’s an amazing athlete and team bloke but on the paddock he’s ultra predictable, and still makes plenty of yards.
If Rennie could take him into Nonu territory he and JP would be a terrifying centre combo.I can’t see it. He has been around since the England series about 5 years ago and his game has not developed much.
Love to be proven wrong. Toomua is the perfect 12 and second playmaker.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Olo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:25 am Train Kerevi up as hooker and he would walk in.
He’s an amazing athlete and team bloke but on the paddock he’s ultra predictable, and still makes plenty of yards.
If Rennie could take him into Nonu territory he and JP would be a terrifying centre combo.I can’t see it. He has been around since the England series about 5 years ago and his game has not developed much.
If he was 18 that might work. Now he's 26 it's daft.

Tom Youngs was converted to Hooker from center aged 21. That was 12 years ago, and he's never been more than adequate at the set peice.
Olo

Post by Olo »

It should have been done long ago. I just don’t see a Kerevi fitting in with this group.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I think Simone is the long term answer at 12. Bloke has all the tools, but isn't quite ready. Deserves to be in the squad though.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Olo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:09 am It should have been done long ago. I just don’t see a Kerevi fitting in with this group.
Seriously? All due respect SR Oz is below SR NZ in standard. It was woeful most times. Kerevi is world class and experienced. He will walk into the Wallabies.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Toomua's problem is he's not polished executing skills and doesn't compensate as a bosher. He's all round average with athleticism.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:22 am
Olo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:09 am It should have been done long ago. I just don’t see a Kerevi fitting in with this group.
Seriously? All due respect SR Oz is below SR NZ in standard. It was woeful most times. Kerevi is world class and experienced. He will walk into the Wallabies.
It's marginally worse, but you're drunk if you think it is woeful.

Kerevi is fantastic, but again, has not played tier 1 rugby since the rwc.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Can't wait for Vunivalu/Koroibete wing combination. A team plays better all round if they have top class finishers.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Zakar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:26 am

Neither has anyone in Oz.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:28 am

What do you call super rugby? It's first class.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Zakar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:29 am

Maybe some games but there were many games that was below standard.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:48 am
Zakar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:29 am

Maybe some games but there were many games that was below standard.
That's not how it works.

Super Rugby (The 6 games of S15 and 7 games of SRAu) is first class rugby.

Kerevi hasn't played all year.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Why are we even talking about Kerevi?

Fantastic runner of the ball... and that's where it ends.

His limitations often stifled the Wallabies attack.
Olo

Post by Olo »

I doubt that Latu is in RWC shape and we need the local boys to step up.
My vote would be Skelton with a view to him signing a contract here so as to remain eligible and Arnold as a mentor for the young locks.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Locks are, apparently, the highest paid of all the positions. Anything we can do to bolster our stocks must be a good thing, always provided that our young up and comers are looked after properly. We have a few good prospects.
Mog The Almighty

Olo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:25 am Train Kerevi up as hooker and he would walk in.
Even if Kerevi was all cool with that, which I'm sure he wouldn't be, there's zero chance of that happening mate. There's minus a thousand chance of it happening. I wouldn't bother calling Kerevi back to play center, let alone hooker. :lol:

There's also no point. Fainga'a is good enough. So are a few of the others, and they'd be a shit load better if they could hit a lineout target.

I'm sticking by call of two second rowers. Arnold would be one of them. The other one, I dunno, but there's a few decent options out there, including Matt Philip. Although I'd prefer if they were all based in Australia.
Olo

Post by Olo »

I was not being serious however he might have been a better hooker.

FF and Uelese will do the job.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

The days of chucking the short fat bloke at Hooker are well and truly over.

Hookers need to be proper athletes. Horton and Uelese are different examples of the modern Hooker- the Coles or the Marx type respectively. I can't help but think that FF and BPA are a bit too much like old-school throwbacks.
Mog The Almighty

Zakar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:39 am The days of chucking the short fat bloke at Hooker are well and truly over.

Hookers need to be proper athletes. Horton and Uelese are different examples of the modern Hooker- the Coles or the Marx type respectively. I can't help but think that FF and BPA are a bit too much like old-school throwbacks.
Yeah maybe. It's a damn shame too, those old rugby stereotypes are part of what made the game have heart and soul.

I dunno if FF and BPA are "too much like that" though. They're always be room in the front-row for a chunky, bull-necked fellah who throws back an extra meat pie here and there, even if they are also more athletic. BPA's big problem is his lineout throwing. Nothing to do with his frame.

Speaking of old school hookers, Phil Kearns is looking pretty good at 53. He was a pretty tall athletic hooker, at least for his time, and unlike a lot of front-rowers, didn't let himself blow up when he left the game.

CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Kearns owned Fitzpatrick at their peaks. His downfall was a being on the Kerry Packer backed Wirld series rugby vs Murdoch backed ARU SANZAAR. He lost the captaincy and it was downhill from there.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Kerevi hasn’t played a game since February which rules him out.
I’d love to see Uelese step up. He reminds me of a young TPN. We have seen bits of what he’s capable of over the last couple of years. Rennie will be good for him.
The all Wallaby front row at the Brums has been under whelming at scrumtime.
Mog The Almighty

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:44 pm Kearns owned Fitzpatrick at their peaks. His downfall was a being on the Kerry Packer backed Wirld series rugby vs Murdoch backed ARU SANZAAR. He lost the captaincy and it was downhill from there.
He seems like a really likeable guy too. For all the shit foreigners give him for his commentary, he still seems like a guy I'd want to have a beer with. I like him, I liked him as a player, I like his tongue-in-cheek bias commentary and despite it rubbing a few blouses the wrong way, he actually knows his shit. And I respect him as a person too, keeping in shape and all that.
Mog The Almighty

Olo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:27 am I was not being serious however he might have been a better hooker.

FF and Uelese will do the job.
Yeah sorry mate. I did understand that you didn't mean it literally, I was just lowering myself to the common PR forum dickhead.. I understand that you just meant that a hooker with his build and natural talents would be a weapon. I get it and you're right.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:06 pm
CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:44 pm Kearns owned Fitzpatrick at their peaks. His downfall was a being on the Kerry Packer backed Wirld series rugby vs Murdoch backed ARU SANZAAR. He lost the captaincy and it was downhill from there.
He seems like a really likeable guy too. For all the shit foreigners give him for his commentary, he still seems like a guy I'd want to have a beer with. I like him, I liked him as a player, I like his tongue-in-cheek bias commentary and despite it rubbing a few blouses the wrong way, he actually knows his shit. And I respect him as a person too, keeping in shape and all that.
The bias commentary is deliberate just trying to stir up a bit of emotion and conversation. I know people hate it but it's his job. He's the type of bloke that would have a beer with the opposition well into the night.
Mog The Almighty

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:29 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:06 pm
The bias commentary is deliberate just trying to stir up a bit of emotion and conversation. I know people hate it but it's his job. He's the type of bloke that would have a beer with the opposition well into the night.
Don't know him from a bar of soap but it's certainly the impression that I get too. He could very well be a north-shore toff global-warming-denying, Abbott-voting dickhead for all I know, but I'm glad not to know. I like what I know of him.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

FWIW Kearns used to come to our clubhouse all the time, I've had a few conversations with him. Really nice bloke, loves his rugby. He's running our colts program at the moment, and we've got 3 colts sides, most in club history.

The singlet he's wearing above is from a charity hill race he runs.

I don't love him as a commentator, I don't want him running RA, but anyone that thinks he's a shitcunt because of how he commentates has rocks in their head.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Whales?

Always knew you were a closet toff.
:P
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:29 am Whales?

Always knew you were a closet toff.
:P
:lol:

Now I'm in the Beaches I need a new club.

Thinking Rats. :lol:
towny

Post by towny »

I like Toomua - happy for him to play and even start. Kerevi is a gun - what you wrote on Kerevi is utter shite.
towny

Post by towny »

Zakar wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:22 am FWIW Kearns used to come to our clubhouse all the time, I've had a few conversations with him. Really nice bloke, loves his rugby. He's running our colts program at the moment, and we've got 3 colts sides, most in club history.

The singlet he's wearing above is from a charity hill race he runs.

I don't love him as a commentator, I don't want him running RA, but anyone that thinks he's a shitcunt because of how he commentates has rocks in their head.
Good post.

PK is a political carnt and a News Corp stooge. He definitely loves the game, but he’s not a net positive to its success.