Wallabies 2020 thread

All things Rugby
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19176
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by shanky »

Zakar wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:25 am
shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:29 am Whales?

Always knew you were a closet toff.
:P
:lol:

Now I'm in the Beaches I need a new club.

Thinking Rats. :lol:
You’ll need a mullet.

And an ability to start sentences with the phrase “Oi carnt!”
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19176
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by shanky »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:49 am
Zakar wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:22 am FWIW Kearns used to come to our clubhouse all the time, I've had a few conversations with him. Really nice bloke, loves his rugby. He's running our colts program at the moment, and we've got 3 colts sides, most in club history.

The singlet he's wearing above is from a charity hill race he runs.

I don't love him as a commentator, I don't want him running RA, but anyone that thinks he's a shitcunt because of how he commentates has rocks in their head.
Good post.

PK is a political carnt and a News Corp stooge. He definitely loves the game, but he’s not a net positive to its success.
He’s great for the RWC bid. Natural salesman, full of shit with an edgy bogan charm

A bit like yourself. :twisted: :thumbup:
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19176
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by shanky »

Kerevi can start when he learns to pass the ball after he makes his linebreak.

‘Break and Pass Samu, break-and-pass mate. It’s the oldest move in the book’.

Until then I’ve got a line through his name.
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17852
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:54 am
towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:49 am
Zakar wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:22 am FWIW Kearns used to come to our clubhouse all the time, I've had a few conversations with him. Really nice bloke, loves his rugby. He's running our colts program at the moment, and we've got 3 colts sides, most in club history.

The singlet he's wearing above is from a charity hill race he runs.

I don't love him as a commentator, I don't want him running RA, but anyone that thinks he's a shitcunt because of how he commentates has rocks in their head.
Good post.

PK is a political carnt and a News Corp stooge. He definitely loves the game, but he’s not a net positive to its success.
He’s great for the RWC bid. Natural salesman, full of shit with an edgy bogan charm

A bit like yourself. :twisted: :thumbup:
Haha!

I think you’re right. He’s also now in a position where he has to stfu and get on the train. The Hammer is like a chess master.
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17852
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:58 am Kerevi can start when he learns to pass the ball after he makes his linebreak.

‘Break and Pass Samu, break-and-pass mate. It’s the oldest move in the book’.

Until then I’ve got a line through his name.
He’ll he right. Petaia will sort him out. “Your job is is to give ME the ball and stick around in case I trip over someone on my way to the try line.”
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16541
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Zakar »

shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:52 am
Zakar wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:25 am
shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:29 am Whales?

Always knew you were a closet toff.
:P
:lol:

Now I'm in the Beaches I need a new club.

Thinking Rats. :lol:
You’ll need a mullet.

And an ability to start sentences with the phrase “Oi carnt!”
:thumbup:
I can do the latter, but I'll need to start growing out my hair.
User avatar
Ellafan
Posts: 4488
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Ellafan »

shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:29 am Whales?

Always knew you were a closet toff.
:P
There goes the neighbourhood.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 11415
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:49 am
Zakar wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:22 am FWIW Kearns used to come to our clubhouse all the time, I've had a few conversations with him. Really nice bloke, loves his rugby. He's running our colts program at the moment, and we've got 3 colts sides, most in club history.

The singlet he's wearing above is from a charity hill race he runs.

I don't love him as a commentator, I don't want him running RA, but anyone that thinks he's a shitcunt because of how he commentates has rocks in their head.
Good post.

PK is a political carnt and a News Corp stooge. He definitely loves the game, but he’s not a net positive to its success.
I've never heard him talk on politics. I had a feeling though. A lot of those old private school boy types are a bit that way for some reason.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19176
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by shanky »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:02 am
shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:58 am Kerevi can start when he learns to pass the ball after he makes his linebreak.

‘Break and Pass Samu, break-and-pass mate. It’s the oldest move in the book’.

Until then I’ve got a line through his name.
He’ll he right. Petaia will sort him out. “Your job is is to give ME the ball and stick around in case I trip over someone on my way to the try line.”
He’s a good player. For mine though, I prefer a ‘2nd Five’ at 12, to take pressure off the 10 and gives some variety at first receiver. Kerevi can’t kick either, which limits his effectiveness

For that I’d go with Toomua/JOC combo, or perhaps with Simone as a back-up.

Just my opinion.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 11415
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

In which order though?

I'd have 10. JOC 12. Toomua, but the opposite way around seems to be a more popular opinion. I dunno why considering Toomua had his best game this year at 12 and I can't remember the last time I saw JOC play there. I guess he did in Europe.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19176
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by shanky »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:56 am In which order though?

I'd have 10. JOC 12. Toomua, but the opposite way around seems to be a more popular opinion. I dunno why considering Toomua had his best game this year at 12 and I can't remember the last time I saw JOC play there. I guess he did in Europe.
Yeah. I don’t mind which way, either. Happy with your choice.

They can play left and right of the ruck at first receiver, like the leaguie halves do.
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16541
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Zakar »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:56 am In which order though?

I'd have 10. JOC 12. Toomua, but the opposite way around seems to be a more popular opinion. I dunno why considering Toomua had his best game this year at 12 and I can't remember the last time I saw JOC play there. I guess he did in Europe.
That's the way I'd put it too
User avatar
CrazyIslander
Posts: 19091
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by CrazyIslander »

JOC provides more options at 12. He can run and also be a second playmaker.
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16541
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Zakar »

Squad named
WALLABIES 2020 SQUAD

Jermaine Ainsley (3 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 25)
Allan Alaalatoa (37 Tests, Brumbies, 26)
Tom Banks (6 Tests, Brumbies, 26)
Angus Bell* (uncapped, NSW Waratahs, 19)
Filipo Daugunu* (uncapped, Queensland Reds, 25)
Pone Fa’amausili* (uncapped, Melbourne Rebels, 23)
Folau Fainga'a (12 Tests, Brumbies, 25)
Jake Gordon (1 Test, NSW Waratahs, 27)
Ned Hanigan (20 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 25)
Will Harrison* (uncapped, NSW Waratahs, 21)
Dane Haylett-Petty (37 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 31)
Reece Hodge (39 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 26)
Michael Hooper (99 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 28)
Tom Horton* (uncapped, NSW Waratahs, 23)
Trevor Hosea* (uncapped, Melbourne Rebels, 20)
Len Ikitau* (uncapped, Brumbies, 21)
Harry Johnson-Holmes (1 Test, NSW Waratahs, 23)
Marika Korobiete (28 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 28)
Noah Lolesio* (uncapped, Brumbies, 20)
Jack Maddocks (7 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 23)
Tate McDermott* (uncapped, Queensland Reds, 22)
Fraser McReight* (uncapped, Queensland Reds, 21)
James O'Connor (52 Tests, Queensland Reds, 30)
Brandon Paenga-Amosa (4 Tests, Queensland Reds, 24)
Hunter Paisami* (uncapped, Queensland Reds, 22)
Jordan Petaia (3 Tests, Queensland Reds, 20)
Matt Philip (3 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 26)
Joe Powell (4 Tests, Brumbies, 26)
James Ramm* (uncapped, NSW Waratahs, 22)
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (21 Tests, Queensland Reds, 24)
Pete Samu (9 Tests, Brumbies, 28)
Rob Simmons (100 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 31)
Irae Simone* (uncapped, Brumbies, 25)
Scott Sio (63 Tests, Brumbies, 28)
James Slipper (96 Tests, Brumbies, 31)
Lachie Swinton* (uncapped, NSW Waratahs, 23)
Matt To’omua (52 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 30)
Taniela Tupou (19 Tests, Queensland Reds, 24)
Jordan Uelese (9 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 23)
Rob Valetini (1 Test, Brumbies, 22)
Nic White (31 Tests, Brumbies, 30)
Harry Wilson* (uncapped, Queensland Reds, 21)
Liam Wright (2 Tests, Queensland Reds, 22)
Tom Wright* (uncapped, Brumbies, 23)
User avatar
Slim 293
Posts: 5552
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Straya plum

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Slim 293 »

Some interesting picks...

Hanigan there, but no Neville or Blyth...

Naisarani and Dempsey big omissions, considering Swinton is there...

Kuridrani misses out, which is fair enough.

Len Ikitau a surprise.
User avatar
kiwigreg369
Posts: 5098
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by kiwigreg369 »

No Force players is a clear reflection of RAs decision to drop them.

A lot of NSW players without being very good - I wouldn’t have gone near Maddocks - and maybe not Gordon (was better earlier in season). To be fair to Ned he’s improved - not sure what question he’s answering.

Overall looks good for 2027 - very few not there (Slipper / Simons / Hopper / JOC / DHP / Matt T and White).
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5659
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

And what of the two OS players?
No Naisarani or Dempsey? Wilson and Samu the only 8s.
grievous
Posts: 11588
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by grievous »

Concerned about the eventual 15 thats put out, wont have the combos with experience.
New guard looks good but will need time, cant cut teeth against the ABs
Couple of shocker decisions but they may not name the final cut
Waratahs appear blessed as usual with their picks
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 13052
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by MungoMan »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:30 am No Force players is a clear reflection of RAs decision to drop them.

A lot of NSW players without being very good - I wouldn’t have gone near Maddocks - and maybe not Gordon (was better earlier in season). To be fair to Ned he’s improved - not sure what question he’s answering.
23 Down Confused Waratah forward is handing an E? (3, 7).
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17852
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Overseas players aren’t considered for the Bled - 2 may be added to this squad for the RC.
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17852
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

grievous wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:10 am Concerned about the eventual 15 thats put out, wont have the combos with experience.
New guard looks good but will need time, cant cut teeth against the ABs
Couple of shocker decisions but they may not name the final cut
Waratahs appear blessed as usual with their picks
21 of these blokes won’t make the tests. Bit early to whinge about how many NSW players made it. At this stage, you’d say they have one certainty.
User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 7093
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Bindi »

Today I learned of Len Ikitau for the first time.
grievous
Posts: 11588
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by grievous »

towny wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:21 pm
grievous wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:10 am Concerned about the eventual 15 thats put out, wont have the combos with experience.
New guard looks good but will need time, cant cut teeth against the ABs
Couple of shocker decisions but they may not name the final cut
Waratahs appear blessed as usual with their picks
21 of these blokes won’t make the tests. Bit early to whinge about how many NSW players made it. At this stage, you’d say they have one certainty.
Why do you quote me, I dont care what you think and feel you have some communication issues. Im sure there is enough posters to try to berate and make yourself feel better about your low self esteem.
Dont waste your time with me again.
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17852
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

grievous wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:12 pm
towny wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:21 pm
grievous wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:10 am Concerned about the eventual 15 thats put out, wont have the combos with experience.
New guard looks good but will need time, cant cut teeth against the ABs
Couple of shocker decisions but they may not name the final cut
Waratahs appear blessed as usual with their picks
21 of these blokes won’t make the tests. Bit early to whinge about how many NSW players made it. At this stage, you’d say they have one certainty.
Why do you quote me, I dont care what you think and feel you have some communication issues. Im sure there is enough posters to try to berate and make yourself feel better about your low self esteem.
Dont waste your time with me again.
How cute. He thinks he’s AC.

Are you okay? Cnut?
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19176
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by shanky »

Rennie has voted for youth.

Why not
grievous
Posts: 11588
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by grievous »

towny wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:35 pm
grievous wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:12 pm
towny wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:21 pm
grievous wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:10 am Concerned about the eventual 15 thats put out, wont have the combos with experience.
New guard looks good but will need time, cant cut teeth against the ABs
Couple of shocker decisions but they may not name the final cut
Waratahs appear blessed as usual with their picks
21 of these blokes won’t make the tests. Bit early to whinge about how many NSW players made it. At this stage, you’d say they have one certainty.
Why do you quote me, I dont care what you think and feel you have some communication issues. Im sure there is enough posters to try to berate and make yourself feel better about your low self esteem.
Dont waste your time with me again.
How cute. He thinks he’s AC.

Are you okay? Cnut?
Feed the kids and get dinner ready for the Mrs
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17852
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Okay.

Do you know her??!! :uhoh:
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16541
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Zakar »

Bindi wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:40 pm Today I learned of Len Ikitau for the first time.
Yeah, he's a real bolter.

Obviously Rennie sees the training field metrics that we don't. I've heard Ikitau is a freak athlete, but never seen real evidence to date. He's barely played this year.
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17852
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

I looked at some grainy high school YouTube stuff. He looks better than me at the same age.
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16541
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Zakar »

Talk about damning by faint praise.
User avatar
Redsfan
Posts: 3230
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Redsfan »

How good is it to be genuinely excited about a Wallabies team?
User avatar
wamberal
Posts: 806
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by wamberal »

Redsfan wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:22 am How good is it to be genuinely excited about a Wallabies team?

I wouldn't know.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19176
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by shanky »

Zakar wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:42 pm Talk about damning by faint praise.
I saw it differently.

I saw it as coming off a low base, setting the kid up to fail.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 11415
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

I think Wilson claimed the eight jersey a while back but I'm still shocked not to see Naisarani make that squad at all! There's 45-odd names there and no Isi? He must be spewing.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 16924
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Farva »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:54 am I think Wilson claimed the eight jersey a while back but I'm still shocked not to see Naisarani make that squad at all! There's 45-odd names there and no Isi? He must be spewing.
Id pick Samu ahead of Wilson every day and twice in Sunday.
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5659
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

6. Samu
7. Hooper
8. Wilson

Bench - Wright
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16541
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Zakar »

Olo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:05 am 6. Samu
7. Hooper
8. Wilson

Bench - Wright
Either Samu or Wilson can play 8, but Valentini needs to be the 6.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 11415
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Olo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:05 am 6. Samu
7. Hooper
8. Wilson

Bench - Wright
Swap Samu and Wright and I'd say you're onto something. The six could go a lot of ways and I'd prefer to see Valetini there than Samu. Samu is ideal off the bench in that he can cover all three positions and do it well, although I think he's more of a natural 8 or 7 than a 6. It's not as if there's worlds of difference between them though.
User avatar
CrazyIslander
Posts: 19091
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by CrazyIslander »

What's happened to McReight?
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 11415
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

CrazyIslander wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:25 am What's happened to McReight?
Hooper is better.
Post Reply