The out of position XV

All things Rugby
mrbrownstone

Re: The out of position XV

Post by mrbrownstone »

Nieghorn wrote:
naki wrote:
mrbrownstone wrote:Ben Smith played an entire EOYT at centre.

Scott Barrett at blindside.

Jordie at 10. DMac at 10. Brett Cameron at 10.
Beauden at 10...
Tom Taylor?
Tom Taylor's issue was that he didn't have a clear position, more than being played out of position. He was a serviceable if limited 10.
af73

Post by af73 »

Doc Rob wrote:
comets wrote:Samo on wing is the weirdest internationally capped position yet.. JJ on wing isn't far fetched, he is a centre and centres can nearly ALWAYS play wing, Fiji doesn't have any that has played an odd position internationally cause our players usually can play anywhere. :proud: :proud: though Bordeuax once brought prop Peni Ravai on as a replacement wing after their starting winger got injured and he ran in 40 metres beating the opposition wing to score the match winning try ..
I still have nightmares about Scott Hastings playing wing once in the early 90s. I think we conceded three tries down that wing because he kept drifting into the centre. The experiment was not repeated.
51-15 to New Zealand in 1993. Launched Jeff Wilson's international career as said wing on debut scored 3.
McGeechan played Hastings on the wing for the end of tour Lions v AnZac in 1989 and thought "brilliant, that'll work against the All Blacks 4 years later".
Also played an woefully unfit Chalmers & we thought 51-15 was as bad as it would ever get. The '97 Springboks said, "hold my beer"...67-10

Maybe why he didn't persist with Reid as a winger despite scoring on his debut and ripping up the Celtic league in his new position.

I see a lot of McGeechan in Townsend currently - unsurprising given how interwoven their coaching/playing careers were. It often seems no idea can be a good one unless he thought of it before anyone else did. Mistakes are persisted with (stubborn) while minor setbacks form outside ideas are dispensed with at the earliest convenience ("see, told you so")
OttawaKat

Post by OttawaKat »

Canadian perspective:

Aaron Carpenter got a boatload of caps at 8 but they made a concerted effort to make him a hooker early in his career. Funnily enough I always thought Ryan Banks, another 8, had the right body for hooker.

I remember Duane Major was a prop/back row and as I recall out of position at both. Brian McCarthy got play at both lock and prop.

I was once at a test against the USA where Garett Rees played centre and did a nice job distributing. Many of the backs from that era played multiple positions.
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

Jonah Lomu scored a try off the back of the scrum in a Babarians game.
I think he played at 6 for the game, but my memory is very fuzzy on this.
Lacrobat

Post by Lacrobat »

France had a fine inside center back in the day, Denis Charvet (at 12, excellent partner to Sella at 13). He was slotted in at wing for France's last pool game against Fiji in the 87 World Cup. The experiment was not repeated.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

OttawaKat wrote:I was once at a test against the USA where Garett Rees played centre and did a nice job distributing. Many of the backs from that era played multiple positions.
Do you mean Gareth Rees, the fly half? Because he was definitely a loosehead prop, one that had really let himself go.
comets

Post by comets »

prop Andy Goode at 10 hasn't been brought up yet..
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

af73 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
comets wrote:Samo on wing is the weirdest internationally capped position yet.. JJ on wing isn't far fetched, he is a centre and centres can nearly ALWAYS play wing, Fiji doesn't have any that has played an odd position internationally cause our players usually can play anywhere. :proud: :proud: though Bordeuax once brought prop Peni Ravai on as a replacement wing after their starting winger got injured and he ran in 40 metres beating the opposition wing to score the match winning try ..
I still have nightmares about Scott Hastings playing wing once in the early 90s. I think we conceded three tries down that wing because he kept drifting into the centre. The experiment was not repeated.
51-15 to New Zealand in 1993. Launched Jeff Wilson's international career as said wing on debut scored 3.
McGeechan played Hastings on the wing for the end of tour Lions v AnZac in 1989 and thought "brilliant, that'll work against the All Blacks 4 years later".
Also played an woefully unfit Chalmers & we thought 51-15 was as bad as it would ever get. The '97 Springboks said, "hold my beer"...67-10

Maybe why he didn't persist with Reid as a winger despite scoring on his debut and ripping up the Celtic league in his new position.

I see a lot of McGeechan in Townsend currently - unsurprising given how interwoven their coaching/playing careers were. It often seems no idea can be a good one unless he thought of it before anyone else did. Mistakes are persisted with (stubborn) while minor setbacks form outside ideas are dispensed with at the earliest convenience ("see, told you so")
Yes, I remember the game now. I had clearly blanked some of it out.

Your last paragraph rings very true. Geech had at least won things with Scotland though.
OttawaKat

Post by OttawaKat »

Short Man Syndrome wrote:
OttawaKat wrote:I was once at a test against the USA where Garett Rees played centre and did a nice job distributing. Many of the backs from that era played multiple positions.
Do you mean Gareth Rees, the fly half? Because he was definitely a loosehead prop, one that had really let himself go.
In his prime Gareth had good quickness - not so much high end speed but a nice burst. I've run across guys like him who can carry extra weight and it not seem to matter.

I played against him when he returned to Vancouver after the end of his pro career. It was second division semi-social rugby, and he was by far the heftiest guy on the pitch. He didn't have a jersey that could cover his gut.

Looking up the game I noted was likely Japan.
Troll

Post by Troll »

1. Troll

Playing at loosehead and hooker every fu.cking game this season.

Just let me stay tight in peace. :x
DOB

Post by DOB »

Troll wrote:1. Troll

Playing at loosehead and hooker every fu.cking game this season.

Just let me stay tight in peace. :x
5. DOB. I’ve played 2 games, played 2nd row in both. It’s not a good look.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

AlanBengio wrote:We all know the worst one was Bergamasco at 9.
Mullet should have been tried for crime against humanity for that
Yeah, Mullet should be tried for crimes against Humanity. But remember Nick Mallet was responsible for that Bergamasco experiment.