The 6 nations is dead

All things Rugby
User avatar
Torquemada 1420
Posts: 29067
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Hut 8

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

danny_fitz wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
One Saturday I went into my local in Aberdeen and was pleasantly surprised to see the final of the rugby competition on. The barman was usually under orders that football was always to take precedent, but on this occasion a touring team from Ireland had just finished their game and, as Munster were one of the finalists, were getting quite into the game. One of the regulars walked in and instructed the barman to change the channel to show the football. The barman, under orders from management complied.

This in spite of the fact that there were two rugby teams in watching the game. Common sense eventually prevailed, but the sense of entitlement shown by the football supporter was breathtaking, not least because there would have been upwards of twenty or thirty pubs in close proximity all showing the football.
I have seen similar. I remember years ago when my entire team plus the oppo were watching a HEC game in a boozer just off the Fulham Road and some Chelsea fan walked in and asked for the football to be put on and without hesitation the barman complied. It was odd as Chelsea were not even playing, it was some shithouse 3rd round FA Cup game between two nobody lower league sides yet that got priority. When everyone drank up walked out to go to another bar showing the game the barman still did not 'get it'.
I feel the need for a Rory Breaker moment.
User avatar
nardol
Posts: 19992
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by nardol »

The Sun God wrote:
bessantj wrote:The amount of channels you need to watch a decent amount of rugby these days...
It's getting a bit silly alright. Pro14, Champions Cup, Lions tours, summer tours all on different pay per view channels. Putting 6Nations behind a paywall might be a step too far .
I wish they would just do an online channel or failing that PPV online. I don't want a sky sub where I have to pay for shit football and only get a small fraction of the rugby I want. In Ireland you cant pick and mix your sky channels like you can in UK.
User avatar
Torquemada 1420
Posts: 29067
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Hut 8

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

The Sun God wrote:
bessantj wrote:The amount of channels you need to watch a decent amount of rugby these days...
It's getting a bit silly alright. Pro14, Champions Cup, Lions tours, summer tours all on different pay per view channels. Putting 6Nations behind a paywall might be a step too far .
Ironically I canned Sky because of this. I was prepared to pay Merde-dog whilst I was able to watch a decent amount of rugby but with the fragmentation, I'm not prepared to pay anyone.

I don't care about wendyball, basketball or the other sh*te peddled so I now take my chances that there is a legit stream to use.
User avatar
The Sun God
Posts: 12941
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Best country in the world.

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by The Sun God »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
bessantj wrote:The amount of channels you need to watch a decent amount of rugby these days...
It's getting a bit silly alright. Pro14, Champions Cup, Lions tours, summer tours all on different pay per view channels. Putting 6Nations behind a paywall might be a step too far .
Ironically I canned Sky because of this. I was prepared to pay Merde-dog whilst I was able to watch a decent amount of rugby but with the fragmentation, I'm not prepared to pay anyone.

I don't care about wendyball, basketball or the other sh*te peddled so I now take my chances that there is a legit stream to use.
I haven't canned any of them yet but I am starting to get a pain in my arse buying services when the only sport I watch is Rugby, maybe a bit of golf.
User avatar
blindcider
Posts: 8132
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by blindcider »

Heymans wrote:
henry wrote:
AND-y wrote:
henry wrote: I’ll confess to not knowing the ins and outs but I’m sure the WRU made a loss in 2019 and a £2m profit in 2018. Doesn’t sound greedy to me. Now competence is a different matter but it’s not like even disgustingly large senior salaries can hide the fact that there’s not a huge surplus of money swashing about in the game.

France, to be fair, might be different. Everyone else appears to be on their bare bones of their arses.
Maybe rugby is just not a big enough deal to justify the razamatazz that they've been trying to create since going pro. I'm all for the best players who are creating money also making money but NFL or Soccer it isn't.
Ironically, I’m all for the sport trying to replicate NFL rather than football. I don’t think rugby should be a week in, week out sport. Don’t think it good for the players or for the most of the viewers. Less is more as far as I’m concerned.
This +1000
Absolutely agree
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14674
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

eldanielfire wrote:
Heymans wrote:
henry wrote:
Ironically, I’m all for the sport trying to replicate NFL rather than football. I don’t think rugby should be a week in, week out sport. Don’t think it good for the players or for the most of the viewers. Less is more as far as I’m concerned.
This +1000
I'm +10000 too
Funnily enough too, the NFL (like most American sports), is mostly available to audiences on free to air. It is highly commercialized but that comes from the audience.

I've often thought that UK sport does suffer from the BBC impact. Yes, we like the BBC generally and their coverage, but there was never the same level of commercialisation of sport that you saw in the US.

The BBC/ITV being told they can't joint bid is bizarre frankly. This isn't like BT Sport/Sky.
User avatar
slick
Posts: 8257
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by slick »

I'd like to see the blazers in every union sign a document that they will not personally be getting any financial gain from this. No bonus, no fees, nothing. It's inconceivable that almost every person not involved at that level can see what a disaster it would be for the game but these guys can't.

It does mean I can carry on with my usual rant about pro and amateur rugby splitting however, so not all bad news.
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37186
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by JM2K6 »

Rinkals wrote:
JM2K6 wrote: Unless you're in the pubs that show the rugby instead.
Which are a rarity.

Two little anecdotes to illustrate:

One Saturday I went into my local in Aberdeen and was pleasantly surprised to see the final of the rugby competition on. The barman was usually under orders that football was always to take precedent, but on this occasion a touring team from Ireland had just finished their game and, as Munster were one of the finalists, were getting quite into the game. One of the regulars walked in and instructed the barman to change the channel to show the football. The barman, under orders from management complied.

This in spite of the fact that there were two rugby teams in watching the game. Common sense eventually prevailed, but the sense of entitlement shown by the football supporter was breathtaking, not least because there would have been upwards of twenty or thirty pubs in close proximity all showing the football.

The other story concerns a pub called Stokers in Kloof, a suburb of Durban. It was 2006 and there were a lot of English football supporters watching Uruguay v England and I think Uruguay were ahead. Anyway, the final of the U20 Rugby World Cup was on and it was between France and the Baby 'Boks. When the rugby started, the channel was changed, much to the understandable irritation of the English. The next pub showing the football was almost 5 kms away.
We're discussing 6 Nations. 6 nations rugby takes precedence over pretty much every football match in the vast majority of pubs. It's wildly popular.

No argument that club rugby gets no interest, or U20 (lol), because that's an accurate reflection of the sport's popularity in this country outside of the 6N.
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37186
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by JM2K6 »

BCM's take
Spoiler: show
Image
not sure why the person posting it underlined the "CVC has HQ in Luxembourg" shit - it's a tax dodge, that's all, an unmanned office full of unused computers they visit now and then
User avatar
Derwyn
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:08 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Derwyn »

6 Nations spokesman saying nothing has been ruled out re broadcasting rights.

Where there is hope, there is life.
User avatar
Torquemada 1420
Posts: 29067
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Hut 8

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

JM2K6 wrote:BCM's take
Spoiler: show
Image
not sure why the person posting it underlined the "CVC has HQ in Luxembourg" shit - it's a tax dodge, that's all, an unmanned office full of unused computers they visit now and then
LOL. Assumed you'd gone mad with the red pen.

I can answer one question (I think). "Why is it being treated as a majority owner.......?"

Possibly because these are hardened business people whereas rugby is run by a bunch of bumbling amateurs. It's like the blind leading the blind and a one-eyed bloke walks into the room and declares he has some money in his pocket earned from reading accounts.
User avatar
julian
Posts: 3377
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by julian »

Duff Paddy wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:Rugby as we know it is dying anyway.
We said it when the SH demanded the game turn pro. Nobody wanted to hear it at the time. The pro game has gone on to grow massively in Ireland just as the amateur game is slowing getting smaller and smaller. If it wasn’t for minis, women’s and tag there would be a lot of clubs in serious trouble.
Everyone in the NH was absoutely aligned with the go pro idea at the moment, lots of money involved.

In Arg due to the lack of money we still have the very large amateur rugby base that remained unchanged which is the fundamental of the game.

During the last years money started to flow in due to Jaguares and RCH but most of it goes to support the rugby academies which is good as amateurs clubs need to sort out their existance as it always has been.
User avatar
Rinkals
Posts: 17659
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Rinkals »

JM2K6 wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
JM2K6 wrote: Unless you're in the pubs that show the rugby instead.
Which are a rarity.

Two little anecdotes to illustrate:

One Saturday I went into my local in Aberdeen and was pleasantly surprised to see the final of the rugby competition on. The barman was usually under orders that football was always to take precedent, but on this occasion a touring team from Ireland had just finished their game and, as Munster were one of the finalists, were getting quite into the game. One of the regulars walked in and instructed the barman to change the channel to show the football. The barman, under orders from management complied.

This in spite of the fact that there were two rugby teams in watching the game. Common sense eventually prevailed, but the sense of entitlement shown by the football supporter was breathtaking, not least because there would have been upwards of twenty or thirty pubs in close proximity all showing the football.

The other story concerns a pub called Stokers in Kloof, a suburb of Durban. It was 2006 and there were a lot of English football supporters watching Uruguay v England and I think Uruguay were ahead. Anyway, the final of the U20 Rugby World Cup was on and it was between France and the Baby 'Boks. When the rugby started, the channel was changed, much to the understandable irritation of the English. The next pub showing the football was almost 5 kms away.
We're discussing 6 Nations. 6 nations rugby takes precedence over pretty much every football match in the vast majority of pubs. It's wildly popular.

No argument that club rugby gets no interest, or U20 (lol), because that's an accurate reflection of the sport's popularity in this country outside of the 6N.
Hmmm.

That's not how I remember it. It was admittedly a long time ago, though.

The implied importance of the contest, International or Cup Final doesn't really take away from my point though. I remember going to Murrayfield and seeing Scotland beat a highly fancied French side against all expectations in the nineties, only to listen to the sports presenters on the way back on the radio denigrate it by making unfavourable comparisons with that win and an SPL game.

Football is king in the UK, and, if you want to see rugby hemorrhage support, cut off it's free-to-air lifeblood.
Southernscot
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Southernscot »

JM2K6 wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
JM2K6 wrote: Unless you're in the pubs that show the rugby instead.
Which are a rarity.

Two little anecdotes to illustrate:

One Saturday I went into my local in Aberdeen and was pleasantly surprised to see the final of the rugby competition on. The barman was usually under orders that football was always to take precedent, but on this occasion a touring team from Ireland had just finished their game and, as Munster were one of the finalists, were getting quite into the game. One of the regulars walked in and instructed the barman to change the channel to show the football. The barman, under orders from management complied.

This in spite of the fact that there were two rugby teams in watching the game. Common sense eventually prevailed, but the sense of entitlement shown by the football supporter was breathtaking, not least because there would have been upwards of twenty or thirty pubs in close proximity all showing the football.

The other story concerns a pub called Stokers in Kloof, a suburb of Durban. It was 2006 and there were a lot of English football supporters watching Uruguay v England and I think Uruguay were ahead. Anyway, the final of the U20 Rugby World Cup was on and it was between France and the Baby 'Boks. When the rugby started, the channel was changed, much to the understandable irritation of the English. The next pub showing the football was almost 5 kms away.
We're discussing 6 Nations. 6 nations rugby takes precedence over pretty much every football match in the vast majority of pubs. It's wildly popular.

No argument that club rugby gets no interest, or U20 (lol), because that's an accurate reflection of the sport's popularity in this country outside of the 6N.
That analysis may stand for ‘middle class enclaves’ but much of the rest of the country and Scotland in particular they would rather so some shite football match.
tc27
Posts: 4838
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by tc27 »

With a couple of exceptions I would not risk going to a pub to watch even an England Six Nations match unless I was able to check it was on first (and would not be switched over to literally any football match as soon as someone asks)..and this is in Tunbridge Wells.

Other sports in the UK simply need to learn how to live in club Footballs very big shadow and accept they cannot expect large audiences to follow them behind paywalls just because football does it.

Cricket has already gone down this road and we have seen how it pans out.
Last edited by tc27 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 30664
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by eldanielfire »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Heymans wrote:
henry wrote:
Ironically, I’m all for the sport trying to replicate NFL rather than football. I don’t think rugby should be a week in, week out sport. Don’t think it good for the players or for the most of the viewers. Less is more as far as I’m concerned.
This +1000
I'm +10000 too
Funnily enough too, the NFL (like most American sports), is mostly available to audiences on free to air. It is highly commercialized but that comes from the audience.

I've often thought that UK sport does suffer from the BBC impact. Yes, we like the BBC generally and their coverage, but there was never the same level of commercialisation of sport that you saw in the US.

The BBC/ITV being told they can't joint bid is bizarre frankly. This isn't like BT Sport/Sky.
That's the bit that caught me too. It's like CVC wants to ensure the 6 Nations can only go behind a pay per view channel and are cutting off the legs of any competitor.

Which also begs the question, if this is CVCs grand idea for more income, why couldn't the 6 Nations do that without them?
User avatar
Kid A
Posts: 4648
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Cian Healy's attic

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Kid A »

eldanielfire wrote:
Which also begs the question, if this is CVCs grand idea for more income, why couldn't the 6 Nations do that without them?
Because the Unions want the initial CVC cash presumably.
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37186
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by JM2K6 »

Southernscot wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
JM2K6 wrote: Unless you're in the pubs that show the rugby instead.
Which are a rarity.

Two little anecdotes to illustrate:

One Saturday I went into my local in Aberdeen and was pleasantly surprised to see the final of the rugby competition on. The barman was usually under orders that football was always to take precedent, but on this occasion a touring team from Ireland had just finished their game and, as Munster were one of the finalists, were getting quite into the game. One of the regulars walked in and instructed the barman to change the channel to show the football. The barman, under orders from management complied.

This in spite of the fact that there were two rugby teams in watching the game. Common sense eventually prevailed, but the sense of entitlement shown by the football supporter was breathtaking, not least because there would have been upwards of twenty or thirty pubs in close proximity all showing the football.

The other story concerns a pub called Stokers in Kloof, a suburb of Durban. It was 2006 and there were a lot of English football supporters watching Uruguay v England and I think Uruguay were ahead. Anyway, the final of the U20 Rugby World Cup was on and it was between France and the Baby 'Boks. When the rugby started, the channel was changed, much to the understandable irritation of the English. The next pub showing the football was almost 5 kms away.
We're discussing 6 Nations. 6 nations rugby takes precedence over pretty much every football match in the vast majority of pubs. It's wildly popular.

No argument that club rugby gets no interest, or U20 (lol), because that's an accurate reflection of the sport's popularity in this country outside of the 6N.
That analysis may stand for ‘middle class enclaves’ but much of the rest of the country and Scotland in particular they would rather so some shite football match.
Scotland's a different country, and London's hardly a middle class enclave. It has everyone.

I've never been in a part of the country when the 6N is on and found it difficult to find a pub with a TV showing it.
User avatar
croyals
Posts: 7886
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: London

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by croyals »

You'll always find a pub in an English town showing the 6N, but generally they won't switch onto the first Saturday game until the lunchtime football kick off has finished. I'd never call ahead to see if they were showing an England game, but might well do if I don't know the pub for the others.
le chat
Posts: 3777
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by le chat »

At least if it's on sky we won't have the irritating BBC team to put up with any longer
User avatar
Leinster in London
Posts: 5804
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Leinster in London »

le chat wrote:At least if it's on sky we won't have the irritating BBC team to put up with any longer
Yes, it shall be all different, but will feel exactly the same, with added interminable ad breaks.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 30664
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by eldanielfire »

le chat wrote:At least if it's on sky we won't have the irritating BBC team to put up with any longer
Because doesn't have irritating Rugby commentators....

Image
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 37565
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Duff Paddy »

croyals wrote:You'll always find a pub in an English town showing the 6N, but generally they won't switch onto the first Saturday game until the lunchtime football kick off has finished. I'd never call ahead to see if they were showing an England game, but might well do if I don't know the pub for the others.
I’ve had some funny interactions in English pubs over this. Usually it’s just complete ignorance “oh rug-bay yeah I’ll see if I can find that channel” but sometimes it’s outright hostility against “the bloody egg chasers”. In many pubs they would literally play Brighton ladies U20’s above the rugby - they really seem to hate it
User avatar
happyhooker
Posts: 23124
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by happyhooker »

Duff Paddy wrote:
croyals wrote:You'll always find a pub in an English town showing the 6N, but generally they won't switch onto the first Saturday game until the lunchtime football kick off has finished. I'd never call ahead to see if they were showing an England game, but might well do if I don't know the pub for the others.
I’ve had some funny interactions in English pubs over this. Usually it’s just complete ignorance “oh rug-bay yeah I’ll see if I can find that channel” but sometimes it’s outright hostility against “the bloody egg chasers”. In many pubs they would literally play Brighton ladies U20’s above the rugby - they really seem to hate it
Nah, it's you they hate
Crash_12
Posts: 12878
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Crash_12 »

JM2K6 wrote:
Southernscot wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
JM2K6 wrote: Unless you're in the pubs that show the rugby instead.
Which are a rarity.

Two little anecdotes to illustrate:

One Saturday I went into my local in Aberdeen and was pleasantly surprised to see the final of the rugby competition on. The barman was usually under orders that football was always to take precedent, but on this occasion a touring team from Ireland had just finished their game and, as Munster were one of the finalists, were getting quite into the game. One of the regulars walked in and instructed the barman to change the channel to show the football. The barman, under orders from management complied.

This in spite of the fact that there were two rugby teams in watching the game. Common sense eventually prevailed, but the sense of entitlement shown by the football supporter was breathtaking, not least because there would have been upwards of twenty or thirty pubs in close proximity all showing the football.

The other story concerns a pub called Stokers in Kloof, a suburb of Durban. It was 2006 and there were a lot of English football supporters watching Uruguay v England and I think Uruguay were ahead. Anyway, the final of the U20 Rugby World Cup was on and it was between France and the Baby 'Boks. When the rugby started, the channel was changed, much to the understandable irritation of the English. The next pub showing the football was almost 5 kms away.
We're discussing 6 Nations. 6 nations rugby takes precedence over pretty much every football match in the vast majority of pubs. It's wildly popular.

No argument that club rugby gets no interest, or U20 (lol), because that's an accurate reflection of the sport's popularity in this country outside of the 6N.
That analysis may stand for ‘middle class enclaves’ but much of the rest of the country and Scotland in particular they would rather so some shite football match.
Scotland's a different country, and London's hardly a middle class enclave. It has everyone.

I've never been in a part of the country when the 6N is on and found it difficult to find a pub with a TV showing it.
Yep, it’s always on the what’s on chalkboard and many pubs carry the ‘watch the six nations here’ Guiness/Brains stickers.
User avatar
AND-y
Posts: 16223
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by AND-y »

The idea of not being able to watch every 6n game in any pub you wander into is crazy to me.
Tuivasa
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:28 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Tuivasa »

grievous wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:[quote="guy
Plato'sCave wrote:I’ll never pay to watch it.
you will, though.

Will he? A lot of England fans/Northern Hemisphere fans are fans via their local club culturally. If it isn't on free TV many fans simply head down their local club to watch, and if it's on the TV there they'll catch-up with the professional game.
Yes. We go to the pub. Same dynamic. Everyone pays... we want to watch the games, right?
We just cancelled our SKY subscription. Looks like I'll be streaming most games but I'm sure a few will be down the pub.
You should get out of the house and go down to the pub, make a friend[/quote]


Yuck. Watching Rugby at a pub with drunk people. I wouldn't go if I was paid. Free tv or stream or friends house. Or pay for it if it's the RWC
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 37565
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Duff Paddy »

happyhooker wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
croyals wrote:You'll always find a pub in an English town showing the 6N, but generally they won't switch onto the first Saturday game until the lunchtime football kick off has finished. I'd never call ahead to see if they were showing an England game, but might well do if I don't know the pub for the others.
I’ve had some funny interactions in English pubs over this. Usually it’s just complete ignorance “oh rug-bay yeah I’ll see if I can find that channel” but sometimes it’s outright hostility against “the bloody egg chasers”. In many pubs they would literally play Brighton ladies U20’s above the rugby - they really seem to hate it
Nah, it's you they hate
Racism
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 25161
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by DragsterDriver »

No blacks
No Irish
No rugby



Dogs welcome
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 37565
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Duff Paddy »

DragsterDriver wrote:No blacks
No Irish
No rugby



Dogs welcome
I too have noticed this ridiculous trend of bringing your dog to the pub.
User avatar
A5D5E5
Posts: 11304
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by A5D5E5 »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
One Saturday I went into my local in Aberdeen and was pleasantly surprised to see the final of the rugby competition on. The barman was usually under orders that football was always to take precedent, but on this occasion a touring team from Ireland had just finished their game and, as Munster were one of the finalists, were getting quite into the game. One of the regulars walked in and instructed the barman to change the channel to show the football. The barman, under orders from management complied.

This in spite of the fact that there were two rugby teams in watching the game. Common sense eventually prevailed, but the sense of entitlement shown by the football supporter was breathtaking, not least because there would have been upwards of twenty or thirty pubs in close proximity all showing the football.
I have seen similar. I remember years ago when my entire team plus the oppo were watching a HEC game in a boozer just off the Fulham Road and some Chelsea fan walked in and asked for the football to be put on and without hesitation the barman complied. It was odd as Chelsea were not even playing, it was some shithouse 3rd round FA Cup game between two nobody lower league sides yet that got priority. When everyone drank up walked out to go to another bar showing the game the barman still did not 'get it'.
I feel the need for a Rory Breaker moment.
Great reference. Great film.
johnuknow
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by johnuknow »

There will be a big drop in viewership figures once it goes behind the paywall. Rugby authorities always talk about growing the game but frankly its all horse shit . Its very secondary to making more money faster.

I for one am tired of having to close all those porn windows to get my club Rugby feed as it is.
User avatar
croyals
Posts: 7886
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: London

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by croyals »

Duff Paddy wrote:
croyals wrote:You'll always find a pub in an English town showing the 6N, but generally they won't switch onto the first Saturday game until the lunchtime football kick off has finished. I'd never call ahead to see if they were showing an England game, but might well do if I don't know the pub for the others.
I’ve had some funny interactions in English pubs over this. Usually it’s just complete ignorance “oh rug-bay yeah I’ll see if I can find that channel” but sometimes it’s outright hostility against “the bloody egg chasers”. In many pubs they would literally play Brighton ladies U20’s above the rugby - they really seem to hate it
Yeah its an odd one - had this once in a pub in Southampton where six of us asked for one tv in the corner to show Bath v Exeter, all other tvs stayed showing the football. A guy from the far side of the bar made a huge scene and tried to get them to turn it back to the football. Very performative.
Crash_12
Posts: 12878
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Crash_12 »

Brian Moore was perhaps the most high-profile rugby figure to point out that the wealthy in Formula One and cricket were very good at enriching themselves from CVC, at the expense of participation and viewership. CVC didn’t do badly either. But neither sport actually grew. The most famous stat compares the first Ashes test of 2015 with one in 2005. England won both, in thrilling fashion. But the one in 2005 had a free TV audience of 8.4m. Ten years later it was 467,000.
Blazers take note.
User avatar
Torquemada 1420
Posts: 29067
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Hut 8

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

Crash_12 wrote:
Brian Moore was perhaps the most high-profile rugby figure to point out that the wealthy in Formula One and cricket were very good at enriching themselves from CVC, at the expense of participation and viewership. CVC didn’t do badly either. But neither sport actually grew. The most famous stat compares the first Ashes test of 2015 with one in 2005. England won both, in thrilling fashion. But the one in 2005 had a free TV audience of 8.4m. Ten years later it was 467,000.
Blazers take note.
Do they give a flying f**k? It's like the flaw in the election system. A 5 year tenure means you can't do anything long term even if you weren't focused on lining your own pockets as fast as possible whilst you have power. Don't expect the inept and greedy clowns running WR to act any differently.

The game will more likely be dead before this board's next wipe.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14674
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

croyals wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
croyals wrote:You'll always find a pub in an English town showing the 6N, but generally they won't switch onto the first Saturday game until the lunchtime football kick off has finished. I'd never call ahead to see if they were showing an England game, but might well do if I don't know the pub for the others.
I’ve had some funny interactions in English pubs over this. Usually it’s just complete ignorance “oh rug-bay yeah I’ll see if I can find that channel” but sometimes it’s outright hostility against “the bloody egg chasers”. In many pubs they would literally play Brighton ladies U20’s above the rugby - they really seem to hate it
Yeah its an odd one - had this once in a pub in Southampton where six of us asked for one tv in the corner to show Bath v Exeter, all other tvs stayed showing the football. A guy from the far side of the bar made a huge scene and tried to get them to turn it back to the football. Very performative.
I liked the way that in the likes of Bath it was the opposite. On the day of the Leinster v Bath game there last year early on in the day some lads wanted a Manchester City game put on and the barman told him this was the wrong town on the wrong day for that and he wouldn't be turning off the rugby.
User avatar
crash 669
Posts: 3695
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by crash 669 »

JM2K6 wrote:
Southernscot wrote:
JM2K6 wrote: We're discussing 6 Nations. 6 nations rugby takes precedence over pretty much every football match in the vast majority of pubs. It's wildly popular.

No argument that club rugby gets no interest, or U20 (lol), because that's an accurate reflection of the sport's popularity in this country outside of the 6N.
That analysis may stand for ‘middle class enclaves’ but much of the rest of the country and Scotland in particular they would rather so some shite football match.
Scotland's a different country, and London's hardly a middle class enclave. It has everyone.

I've never been in a part of the country when the 6N is on and found it difficult to find a pub with a TV showing it.
It's one thing to find somewhere showing it, it's another to find a place with a rugby crowd. While I was always keen for a cabal, I would never have gone to watch a match back home, just because sitting on your own, staring at the one screen they'll switch over to the rugby while everyone else is watching football/having a Saturday out, is bloody miserable.

Even in Oxford there were 2 or 3 pubs which would always show the 6N's and were packed to the rafters, and everywhere else had no interest in it at all. As you say though, that's a fair reflection of how popular rugby actually is, and putting the 6N's on pay TV will make it go the way of league - everyone I've spoken to over the age of 40 remembers when it used to be on the BBC, no one has any clue about it now.
User avatar
madman
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by madman »

It a real shame, boxing few people watch, Cricket dying, Club rugby no one watches, but now the shop windows is closed.

It will kill rugby in Scotland and become more of a niche sport in Ireland and England.. The Welsh will hate it..

They will kick Italy out (after more people watch the match live, than watch it on Sky)..
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 34369
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by EverReady »

It'll be jumpers for goalposts again lads
johnuknow
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The 6 nations is dead

Post by johnuknow »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
croyals wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
croyals wrote:You'll always find a pub in an English town showing the 6N, but generally they won't switch onto the first Saturday game until the lunchtime football kick off has finished. I'd never call ahead to see if they were showing an England game, but might well do if I don't know the pub for the others.
I’ve had some funny interactions in English pubs over this. Usually it’s just complete ignorance “oh rug-bay yeah I’ll see if I can find that channel” but sometimes it’s outright hostility against “the bloody egg chasers”. In many pubs they would literally play Brighton ladies U20’s above the rugby - they really seem to hate it
Yeah its an odd one - had this once in a pub in Southampton where six of us asked for one tv in the corner to show Bath v Exeter, all other tvs stayed showing the football. A guy from the far side of the bar made a huge scene and tried to get them to turn it back to the football. Very performative.
I liked the way that in the likes of Bath it was the opposite. On the day of the Leinster v Bath game there last year early on in the day some lads wanted a Manchester City game put on and the barman told him this was the wrong town on the wrong day for that and he wouldn't be turning off the rugby.
Yeah, well at least thats in the UK. I
t's alot harder to watch some Irish chavball enthusiasts with zero interest in the rugby agitating for the barman to put on an English club game featuring teams they have no real connection with and who's stadiums they couldn't vaguely find on a map.
The following Sunday, they don a Celtic jersey and give out about the prods!!
f**king Dimwits
Post Reply